Shootings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Shootings

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:50 pm Madhouse

Hate everything about that photo. Fucking hell.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

They seem nice...
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Wish everyone of these psychos had to spend some time in a trauma unit watching gunshot victims come in. You have such bloodlust, here rub your nose in it. Listen to the screams, get blood on your hands. Inhale the death you so obviously crave.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They think they crave blood, but most have never seen blood - not the kind they're talking about. What they really crave is the idea of heroic conflict, the kind of thing that only exists in stories. Most of them don't have a clue as to what the reality would be like.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Because it's all blurring together, this is exactly the trend that someone had pointed out months ago at a national level - more and more GOP candidates incorporating guns into their media advertisements / promotions. We are in deep trouble as a society.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:29 am Because it's all blurring together, this is exactly the trend that someone had pointed out months ago at a national level - more and more GOP candidates incorporating guns into their media advertisements / promotions. We are in deep trouble as a society.
They're normalizing the prepper/gun crazy wing. They may need them and they want them ready and willing to heed the call to arms. The fact that this gun-showy-ness has gone from unidentifiable photos of Glocks on laps in cars (why was it always in a car?) to family Instagrams with rifles is frightening to me.

The whole "weapons of war" thing is a misnomer but the difference between a 5.56 semiautomatic rifle and a 9mm semiautomatic handgun is cavernous.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

I don't know enough to tell, but someone online pointed out that the kids' guns are actually airsoft.

That way, Boebert gets to send the gun-humper message *and* own the libs when they push back on it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:05 pm I don't know enough to tell, but someone online pointed out that the kids' guns are actually airsoft.

That way, Boebert gets to send the gun-humper message *and* own the libs when they push back on it.
They look like S&W M&P 15-22s. The 15-22 is a .22 caliber AR patterned rifle.

Real rifles that shoot .22LR. Not 5.56 but still "guns".

Would be surprised if airsoft made a 15-22 replica but who knows..

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Airsoft or not the image was chosen intentionally. And it looks loony to at least half this nation and absolutely mad house to anyone outside our country. We have mass shootings over and over and our politicians are posing in front of the Christmas tree glorying guns with their kids? There is no universe where this is a good idea.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Some people may think the mag that the one on the far right (of the photograph) looks airsofty but it looks to me like a 22 mag. They use a large shell to look like an AR .223/5.56 mag but have a .22LR feed system (that line down the middle).

Enlarge Image

Random store page.

I could be wrong.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

malchior wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:21 pm Airsoft or not the image was chosen intentionally. And it looks loony to at least half this nation and absolutely mad house to anyone outside our country. We have mass shootings over and over and our politicians are posing in front of the Christmas tree glorying guns with their kids? There is no universe where this is a good idea.
This. I know it's going to give erections to every gun nut/NRA supporter in existence, but I truly hope that the majority of people in this country view it as inappropriate. You don't have to dislike guns to see that, I think.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:32 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:21 pm Airsoft or not the image was chosen intentionally. And it looks loony to at least half this nation and absolutely mad house to anyone outside our country. We have mass shootings over and over and our politicians are posing in front of the Christmas tree glorying guns with their kids? There is no universe where this is a good idea.
This. I know it's going to give erections to every gun nut/NRA supporter in existence, but I truly hope that the majority of people in this country view it as inappropriate. You don't have to dislike guns to see that, I think.
And I think that's exactly why they would never be airsoft. No way she would risk the ire of the Faithful.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:44 pm No way she would risk the ire of the Faithful.
And that's what this is for the people who somehow correlate Guns with Jesus. For the life of me, I don't know how the two become synonymous. The pictures that showed Muslim pageantry with believers touting their guns looks exactly the same to me... As would an iron eagle or swastika. I'm on the outside, that the thing I would show reverence to is branded in fire arms.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:06 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:44 pm No way she would risk the ire of the Faithful.
And that's what this is for the people who somehow correlate Guns with Jesus. For the life of me, I don't know how the two become synonymous. The pictures that showed Muslim pageantry with believers touting their guns looks exactly the same to me... As would an iron eagle or swastika. I'm on the outside, that the thing I would show reverence to is branded in fire arms.
Well, I meant the gun/MAGA faithful but good point, much of them are the same as religious zealots.

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:21 pm There is no universe where this is a good idea.
Maybe not, but in 'Murica it gets you elected.
And THAT, dear reader, is why "WE'RE NUMBER ONE!!"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:06 pm
And that's what this is for the people who somehow correlate Guns with Jesus. For the life of me, I don't know how the two become synonymous.
This book explains it very clearly: Amazon
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I heard an interview on Fresh Air with a guy who used to be a gun lobbyist and had a total change of heart in recent years. He was a supporter of the NRA, but that was before the NRA went loco. He summed it up very well by saying there was a time when supporting the Second Amendment didn't mean making your entire existence about guns.

This is what's so weird to me about these Christmas photos.
1. Normal gun owners don't find that appropriate in any way.
2. If you're pandering to the radical right, why? Do you really think they're going to vote for a Democrat over a Republican because you didn't promote guns enough? You've got their vote already. Your motives are going to be totally transparent and you'll just look like a sad, crazy person to everyone else.
Holman

Post by Holman »

McNutt wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:06 pm 2. If you're pandering to the radical right, why? Do you really think they're going to vote for a Democrat over a Republican because you didn't promote guns enough? You've got their vote already. Your motives are going to be totally transparent and you'll just look like a sad, crazy person to everyone else.
It's no longer about "protecting gun rights." It's about making the threat of violence central to your political message.

Nowadays a politician with a gun says "I hate the libs just as much as you do, and I look forward to the next Civil War." But it's still just a dog whistle, so they can hide behind claims about the Bill of Rights.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

McNutt wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:06 pm 2. If you're pandering to the radical right, why?
Primaries?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:06 pm I heard an interview on Fresh Air with a guy who used to be a gun lobbyist and had a total change of heart in recent years. He was a supporter of the NRA, but that was before the NRA went loco.
I think it was Lawbeef who got me hooked on the Gangster Capitalism podcast. There’s an entire season on the NRA that will make your toes curl from the rampant fuckery.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Money.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

…power, women.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

…riding lawn mowers, fancy hats.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

McNutt wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:06 pm I heard an interview on Fresh Air with a guy who used to be a gun lobbyist and had a total change of heart in recent years. He was a supporter of the NRA, but that was before the NRA went loco. He summed it up very well by saying there was a time when supporting the Second Amendment didn't mean making your entire existence about guns.

This is what's so weird to me about these Christmas photos.
1. Normal gun owners don't find that appropriate in any way.
2. If you're pandering to the radical right, why? Do you really think they're going to vote for a Democrat over a Republican because you didn't promote guns enough? You've got their vote already. Your motives are going to be totally transparent and you'll just look like a sad, crazy person to everyone else.
Single issue voters. Get 'em early and often.

Also, the NRA has been loco since the late 70s.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AP News
An autopsy revealed unusually severe brain disease in the frontal lobe of the former NFL player accused of fatally shooting six people in Rock Hill, South Carolina before killing himself in April, authorities announced Tuesday.

The 20 years Phillip Adams spent playing football “definitely ... gave rise” to a diagnosis of stage 2 chronic traumatic encephalopathy, said Dr. Ann McKee, who examined his brain.
McKee, who directs the CTE Center at Boston University, said that of 24 NFL players diagnosed with the disease after dying in their 20s and 30s, most had stage 2, like Adams. The disease has four stages, with stage 4 being the most severe and usually associated with dementia.

The second stage is associated with progressive cognitive and behavioral abnormalities such as aggression, impulsivity, explosivity, depression, paranoia, anxiety, poor executive function and memory loss, McKee said.

But Adams’ CTE diagnosis was different from the other young players because it was “unusually severe” in both frontal lobes, she said.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wonder at the potential for lawsuits targeted at the NFL from the victims/families.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Heartbreaking satire from McSweeney's:
But for some reason, amidst all the talk of stranger danger and pedophiles, cancer and dying, and me sheepishly asking your friends’ parents if they have a gun in the house, we haven’t really talked about one of the scariest things of all. Those lockdown drills you’re always having at school? No one’s being straight with you about those. They’re to prepare you in case someone decides to come into your school and murder you, your friends, your principal, the secretaries, and teachers before killing himself (it’s pretty much always a him). Sorry about that.

I love you.

I know that may sound scary, but what you need to remember is that this country was founded on freedom. And that includes the freedom of all people (sane, crazy, whatever) to have unchallenged access to guns that are capable of executing at least twenty first-graders or twelve moviegoers or nine of the faithful at a church service or even a baby asleep in her car seat.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Things are super healthy here in America. Literally since that event is almost certainly going to kill people via COVID alone.

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

How long till Trump starts crying about not having his own theme song?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

You mean it's not When I Ruled the World?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Freyland wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:23 pm How long till Trump starts crying about not having his own theme song?

Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wife's cousin's wife was at the Chicago-area mall that had a shooter today, and had to hunker down in a nearby store. This one will barely make news because no one was killed.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Denver
A gunman killed four people and wounded several others, including a police officer, Monday evening in a sprawling spree across the Denver metro area that included a car chase and gunfights with police, authorities said.

The suspect is also dead, authorities said. The motive isn't clear.

The gunman allegedly opened fire at four places in the city and county of Denver, Police Chief Paul Pazen said late Monday at a news conference. There were more shooting locations in the suburb of Lakewood, about eight miles west of downtown Denver.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

DFW
A 14-year-old suspect in a Sunday night shooting that killed three teens and wounded another at a Texas convenience store was arrested on an outstanding warrant, authorities said.

"As of 30 minutes ago, we have made an arrest. Someone that we suspect to be the shooter. He is a 14-year-old teenager," Garland Police Chief Jeff Bryan announced Monday afternoon during a news conference.

Bryan later clarified that the suspect had not yet been charged in the slayings, but he was arrested on an outstanding warrant.

His identity and the identities of the victims were not released. Bryan said the victims killed were between the ages of 14 and 16. A 15-year-old who worked at the store was wounded, Bryan said.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:50 pm Denver
A gunman killed four people and wounded several others, including a police officer, Monday evening in a sprawling spree across the Denver metro area that included a car chase and gunfights with police, authorities said.

The suspect is also dead, authorities said. The motive isn't clear.

The gunman allegedly opened fire at four places in the city and county of Denver, Police Chief Paul Pazen said late Monday at a news conference. There were more shooting locations in the suburb of Lakewood, about eight miles west of downtown Denver.

I assume this is the same killer?

tl,dr: white-supremicist asshole terrorist.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Denver Guardian
A gunman who killed five people and injured two others in a series of shootings in Denver is believed to have targeted the victims based on previous personal and business dealings and was investigated by police twice in the last two years.

Denver police said that Lyndon James McLeod, 47, who was also killed in the deadly rampage on Monday night, knew most of the victims and was “on the radar of law enforcement”.

Matt Clark, the commander of Denver police’s major crimes division, said: “Based on what we know, it does appear that the offender was targeting specific people in this case. The victims were known to the offender.”

He is not believed to have known the last person he shot, a hotel clerk, but police said she may have been targeted owing to a dispute with the hotel.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Apparently he wrote a series of books pseudonymously wherein the character has his real name. This "fictional" character murders people who he perceived as having slighted or wronged him.

So he writes these books, is known to police, and then goes on a killing spree targeting people who wronged him. In one of the books, one of the targets is a tattoo parlor on the same street as the tattoo parlor where he actually killed several victims. He uses their names.

In the books, published by a Denver business that, according to public records, the gunman once owned, a main character named Lyndon James MacLeod brutally murders people inside a tattoo parlor along the same street as one of the shootings Monday.

The character murders a man named Michael Swinyard and a woman named Alicia Cardenas. He also targets two more people with the same first names of two employees of Cardenas' tattoo parlor, as well as a man with the same full name as another Denver-area tattoo artist who wasn't killed in the attacks.

Have to wonder if the victims knew about the books.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Hmm. Seems a little less than random. Too bad no one cared to pay close attention to the ticking time bomb they all knew about.

Edit: Though piercing beyond the pseudonym and seeing the books is about as impossible a task as I can think of. It's a complete one off.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:35 pm Hmm. Seems a little less than random. Too bad no one cared to pay close attention to the ticking time bomb they all knew about.

Edit: Though piercing beyond the pseudonym and seeing the books is about as impossible a task as I can think of. It's a complete one off.
He uses a pseudonym to write it but for the the character that does all the killing, he used his real name. Agreed it would be a stretch given that it probably had very few readers and those were mostly by like-minded white supremacists.

MYT