Social Media Discussion

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Max Peck

Re: Social Media Discussion

Post by Max Peck »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:52 pm I always equated the phrase ‘right to work’ with ‘non-union’ but that’s probably not quite right.
You're in the ballpark.

Right-to-Work Law
In the context of labor law in the United States, the term "right-to-work laws" refers to state laws that prohibit union security agreements between employers and labor unions which require employees who are not union members to contribute to the payment of union representation. Unlike the right to work definition as a human right in international law, U.S. right-to-work laws do not aim to provide a general guarantee of employment to people seeking work but rather guarantee an employee's choice to not pay or be a member of a financially supporting collective bargaining organization (i.e. labor union).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... se-instead
On the weekend, Twitter announced that from 20 March, people who haven’t subscribed to Twitter Blue will have two-factor authentication via SMS disabled.

Twitter has recommended people use third-party apps or a security key instead, but for the overwhelming majority (74.4%) of the 2.6% of active Twitter users who use SMS as their method of authentication, it will mean they have a month to switch or potentially lose protection.
And something not about Twitter

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... on-via-sms
Facebook and Instagram users will soon need to pay to be verified on the social media platforms, as Meta follows in the footsteps of rival platform Twitter.

Mark Zuckerberg, Meta’s chief executive, announced in a Facebook post on Sunday that the service would first roll out in Australia and New Zealand later this week.

The company said it would cost US$11.99 a month on web or US$14.99 on iOS and Android (or, in Australia, $19.99 on web or $24.99 on iOS and Android).
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Fscebook, sorry Meta, must be smoking something if they think those prices are reasonable. $14.99 on iOS and Android?? And that's per month. I would draw the line at $10.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

What do subscribers get for that price? Does Facebook stop strip mining your personal data and cease carpet bombing you with ads?

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

What does "verified" mean, exactly? Is that primarily for companies or "influencers" who make $$ on their names? Or would they be requiring every Joe Schmo who uses FB to be verified to have an account?

Because they day I have to actually pay for any social media service is the day I stop using it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

So, is this not the best time to announce our plans for a verified subscription service to OO? You'd get an awesome :binky: next to your user name!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:29 pm So, is this not the best time to announce our plans for a verified subscription service to OO? You'd get an awesome :binky: next to your user name!
We're long overdue to pay rent. I've been watching for FP fund raising requests. I'd give money out of turn but he requested us not to do so.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:45 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:29 pm So, is this not the best time to announce our plans for a verified subscription service to OO? You'd get an awesome :binky: next to your user name!
We're long overdue to pay rent. I've been watching for FP fund raising requests. I'd give money out of turn but he requested us not to do so.
Pay up or become simply Mister Mortis!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm OK with that. I haven't touched Battle.net in I dunno how long, well over two decades.

That reminds me. I just read that Ultima Online is still around.

And the Internet informs me
A UO UP membership costs a flat rate of $98 per year.
Though "endless journey" is free.
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:27 pm What does "verified" mean, exactly? Is that primarily for companies or "influencers" who make $$ on their names? Or would they be requiring every Joe Schmo who uses FB to be verified to have an account?

Because they day I have to actually pay for any social media service is the day I stop using it.
Basically any big corporation, band/artist, brand or public facing entity usually get verified status to prove their validity. It's basically Facebook's way of proving who it is and to make it easier for Facebook users to follow.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:54 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:27 pm What does "verified" mean, exactly? Is that primarily for companies or "influencers" who make $$ on their names? Or would they be requiring every Joe Schmo who uses FB to be verified to have an account?

Basically any big corporation, band/artist, brand or public facing entity usually get verified status to prove their validity. It's basically Facebook's way of proving who it is and to make it easier for Facebook users to follow.
Soooo basically I need to pay up if I want people to continue to believe that I am, indeed THE Jeffrey Lebowski?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Techdirt has a nice rundown of why these verification subs are dumb, in both Twitter's and Facebook's case.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Verschlimmbesserung

An attempt at improvement that only makes things worse.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It's ironic because by making them a pay service they devalue the reason why verified status is a thing in the first place, especially in Twitter's case. I don't know why they're making the mobile version more expensive than the web version either. Other than the fact that there are likely more mobile users can they can take advantage of.
Last edited by Rumpy on Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:08 pm Verschlimmbesserung

Wow, that is such a common occurence (especially in the mobile apps world) that I'm kind of surprised we don't also have a word for it. Those Germans are CLEVER.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:11 pm
Jaymon wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:08 pm Verschlimmbesserung

Wow, that is such a common occurence (especially in the mobile apps world) that I'm kind of surprised we don't also have a word for it. Those Germans are CLEVER.
We just call it capitalism.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

For some unknown reason, I have always had a fascination with the German noun: Götterdämmerung, which means:

The myth of the destruction of the gods in a final battle with the forces of evil; the apocalypse

Fun to say, AND fun to think about!!

I bet they even have a single word for the situation when you are walking to your mailbox, forget that you are in your sleepwear, and instead of shamefully running back into the house, you boldy, balls swinging and free, forge ahead and brazenly open that mailbox whilst sipping your coffee like a boss.

German is like Bizarro American English.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:11 pm It's ironic because by making them a pay service they devalue the reason why verified status is a thing in the first place, especially in Twitter's case. I don't know why they're making the mobile version more expensive than the web version either. Other than the fact that there are likely more mobile users can they can take advantage of.
The reason that the mobile versions cost more is probably due to the fact that Apple/Google get a slice of the pie if you pay through the app that you downloaded through their respective stores.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:48 pm
Rumpy wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:11 pm It's ironic because by making them a pay service they devalue the reason why verified status is a thing in the first place, especially in Twitter's case. I don't know why they're making the mobile version more expensive than the web version either. Other than the fact that there are likely more mobile users can they can take advantage of.
The reason that the mobile versions cost more is probably due to the fact that Apple/Google get a slice of the pie if you pay through the app that you downloaded through their respective stores.
Hmmm, that's one point I hadn't realized. Still doesn't make it any less shittier though.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

The ability to click on a link/news story on Twitter and open an external site is now broken. According to some tweets (ha!) the issues started early Monday morning. Presumably it has something to do with the API's ability to translate t.co URLs. When you click on a link or picture, it just brings you to an error page "{"errors":[{"message":"Your current API plan does not include access to this endpoint, please see https: //developer.twitter.com/en/docs/twitter-api for more information","code":467}]}"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

At the moment any tweet I try to load in a browser results in an error: Something went wrong. Try reloading.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What the hell?
Billionaire Elon Musk is routinely followed around Twitter headquarters by two “bulky” bodyguards—even when he goes to the restroom, according to a Twitter engineer. The two bearded guards went viral back in January after they accompanied Musk at a securities fraud trial, and appear to have accompanied him to Twitter after his $44 billion purchase of the social media site. A Twitter engineer identified only as Sam told BBC News: “Wherever he goes in the office, there are at least two bodyguards—very bulky, tall, Hollywood movie bodyguards. Even when [he goes] to the restroom.” He said the constant use of bodyguards suggested that Musk, who has sacked a huge number of Twitter staff including coders, does not trust his remaining staff at Twitter HQ in San Francisco.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:06 pm Enlarge Image
This fucking guy, I swear.

a) *He* rammed that "API" change through, with zero testing.
b) That's how software works. It breaks when you break it, you stupid f**k.
c) He's planning on rewriting twitter with a skeleton crew and almost zero corporate knowledge left? Is he high and/or drunk?
All of which brings us to d) he's trying to submarine the entire thing for some reason.

Does he usually have an entire team running around behind him cleaning up his messes that this is the first time the consequences of his actions have actually been revealed to him? Because holy hell a first year comp sci student could do a better job on the application side of things.

edit: And now I see he *does* have a team with him, just to keep people from punching his stupid face, but still. I'm sure those bodyguards have already earned their pay and more. Who doesn't want to punch him in the face?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

His simps that have no coding knowledge are probably eating up that excuse.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:22 pm Who doesn't want to punch him in the face?
:lol: I laughed. I definitely want to punch him in the face.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Elon Musk wrote:The code stack is extremely brittle for no good reason
Homer Simpson wrote:Bad bees! Bad! OW! OW! They're defending themselves somehow!
Last edited by Blackhawk on Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Don't remember that one. But Homer and bees likely would not mix well. :lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This thing we broke that was never broken before is extremely breakable for some reason.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:22 pm
Does he usually have an entire team running around behind him cleaning up his messes that this is the first time the consequences of his actions have actually been revealed to him? Because holy hell a first year comp sci student could do a better job on the application side of things.

At this point, it plays off like a shakespearean comedy. "I'm a genius! Pick up my mess, you nitwit! They don't need to see I'm bumbling."
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:42 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:22 pm

At this point, it plays off like a shakespearean comedy. "I'm a genius! Pick up my mess, you nitwit! They don't need to see I'm bumbling."
There's a Blackadder season 5 in there somewhere.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, or even Monty Python. Boss comes into an office, causes lots of things to fall including bookshelves and desk, then leaves. Two more people come in and cleanup the mess he left behind while he gets hailed as a genius of his time, but meanwhile the ones behind the scenes are the real ones behind his work.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Actually... doesn't the show already exist? Avenue 5?

Black Lives Matter

malchior

Post by malchior »

Taunting people with their disabilities is one heck of a way to encourage the ever diminishing workforce.

Last edited by malchior on Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

What Musk was thinking:
The reality is that this guy (who is independently wealthy) did no actual work, claimed as his excuse that he had a disability that prevented him from typing, yet was simultaneously tweeting up a storm.

Can’t I say I have a lot of respect for that.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, that'd be straight up discrimination. There are other ways he could have tweeted, say voice recognition. Can't say I have a lot of respect for Musk.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Very good thread.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

This would be legal trouble for Musk, wouldn't it?