Social Media Discussion

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: Social Media Discussion

Post by Holman »

We've seen this headline a thousand times: Rich Person Insists Laws Don't Apply To Rich People.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

But...but... Musk only wants "extremely hardcore" employees. I mean, he said, "“This will mean working long hours at high intensity. Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade.”

How are they going to prove that they're "hardcore' if they can't work until they collapse?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Musk vs the Building Code.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Hardcore engineers sleep on the floor under their desk. But only while their code is compiling.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Early in my IT career, I read some sage advice in Computerworld magazine. It advised if you have extra time, spend it on improving yourself, not the company. The company will never reward you for the effort.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The company may reward you for your effort, but it better put it in writing if that's going to be used as an incentive.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Another exhibit that strongly suggests Musk is a fucking moron.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:49 pm But...but... Musk only wants "extremely hardcore" employees. I mean, he said, "“This will mean working long hours at high intensity. Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade.”

How are they going to prove that they're "hardcore' if they can't work until they collapse?
And take on a salaried wage and then never see their family or friends or do anything outside of providing for the new owner of their workplace.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'd hate to see what Musk would do with a fast-food joint. :shock:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Gus Fring?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I have no idea what I googled or what I interacted with that triggered the algorithm, but my Twitter timeline in now about 40% wolves. “Wolf of the day”, “Beautiful Wolves”, “Majestic Wolf”, “Natures Best Wolves”…a whole bunch of accounts randomly showing up in my timeline showing pictures and videos of wolves.

It’s very weird.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

You watched Wolf of Wall Street on your "smart" phone?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:17 am I have no idea what I googled or what I interacted with that triggered the algorithm, but my Twitter timeline in now about 40% wolves. “Wolf of the day”, “Beautiful Wolves”, “Majestic Wolf”, “Natures Best Wolves”…a whole bunch of accounts randomly showing up in my timeline showing pictures and videos of wolves.

It’s very weird.
I clicked an ad about fancy popcorn and on top of inundating my feed with popcorn ads, today the snail mail brought me a paper popcorn catalog.

I like normal popcorn. I eat it 4 or 5 times a year. There's cinnamon popcorn? Yes there is, and it's 40% off for three more hours.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The office bedrooms reminds me of stories of Big Law, where some firms would have "sick rooms" with beds available for associates who weren't feeling well. In reality they were used for associates to grab a couple of hours of sleep before showering in the office showers and changing into the spare clothes they kept at the office so they could get back to billing hours without having to worry about wasting time on things like "commuting" or "having a life".

So glad I skipped that part of my career!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Musk is truly just a conspiracy-addled MAGA memelord who now happens to own one of the world’s most pervasive communications platforms.

What could possibly go wrong?

Makes The NY Times “We don’t know what political side he is truly on” article from last week all the more hilarious.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:16 am Musk is truly just a conspiracy-addled MAGA memelord who now happens to own one of the world’s most pervasive communications platforms.

Makes The NY Times “We don’t know what political side he is truly on” article from last week all the more hilarious.
You need to read the tweet just shared by malchior over in the Deathwatch forth estate thread in P&R
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Have Twitter and Truth Social announced their merger yet?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:16 am Musk is truly just a conspiracy-addled MAGA memelord who now happens to own one of the world’s most pervasive communications platforms.

He's always said he was unbiased, yet he does things like this which show his true colours. He's a troll that happens to own a social media platform, thus making his voice the loudest and allowing for like-minded opinions to surface, meanwhile silencing more reasoned voices.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

For someone who hasn’t followed him, but does follow political news pretty closely, I have to say this was quite a surprise. Mostly that it’s been kept more or less under wraps for so long. Or maybe he’s been radicalized recently?

Just seems like he went from zero to 160 in terms of MAGA (Qanon?).

Reminds me of my Dad in a way - both the radicalization (and I don’t use that word lightly or jokingly) and the…suddenness.

Our country is very sick.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm guessing with control of a social media platform, he now has the ability to get the attention he craves. Instead of being surrounded by employees that worship the ground he walks on, he can now fire off a Tweet that gains millions of likes. And the fact that he's saying/doing things on social media that his followers love (going after vaccines, trans people, etc...) just helps to feed his ego more.

It's almost like...at a certain point money turns many, many people into absolute garbage.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:31 pm It's almost like...at a certain point money turns many, many people into absolute garbage.
They do seem to lose all compassion and empathy when the wolf can't reach their own door anymore. IDK if Musk was ever compassionate to begin with.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Like someone else I won’t mention, I don’t think he’s doing this to please the kind of people who believe this stuff. He hates them, I’m sure. But what he hates even more is not being adored whenever he walks into a room. Twitter is a freaking stadium of a room and he was booed the moment he entered by a lot of people. He decided what “side” those people were on and now he’s lashing out at them.

He operates on pure spite…just like someone else I won’t mention.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

But has he been actively tweeting MAGA stuff for a while? Again, not a follower, so this may be typical but it seems new.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:27 pm For someone who hasn’t followed him, but does follow political news pretty closely, I have to say this was quite a surprise. Mostly that it’s been kept more or less under wraps for so long. Or maybe he’s been radicalized recently?

Just seems like he went from zero to 160 in terms of MAGA (Qanon?).

Reminds me of my Dad in a way - both the radicalization (and I don’t use that word lightly or jokingly) and the…suddenness.

Our country is very sick.
He's likely always been this way, only now it's more visible because of his platform. He's hard to read because he's such a polarizing figure. He's like a kid who says one thing then says, "I was joking, chill out." when he doesn't like what's being said in response. So, I think he does a lot to get a rise out of people just to see how they'll react.

Just an example, he's a documented supporter (and donor) of the freedom rally that occupied Canada back in February (which if you remember, they were there for almost a full month and were trying to foment rebellion to take over democracy), and was one who compared Trudeau to Hitler when it came time to enact the emergency act, then promptly deleted his tweet. He likes to think he has good intentions in mind, when he really doesn't.
Last edited by Rumpy on Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Great description! :D

Another way to say it: An asshole does not get to play the 'respect' card.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

O yeah, that deserves to catch on.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Gizmodo

YouTube embed below as the original Twitter post has *ahem* vanished.
Elon Musk, the billionaire who wants nothing more in life than to be adored by legions of fans, was loudly booed by a crowd in San Francisco on Sunday night after he was invited onstage by comedian Dave Chappelle. And the footage is pretty rough, even if you don’t particularly like Musk.

“Ladies and gentlemen, make some noise for the richest man in the world,” Chappelle said near the end of his set at the Chase Center.

The crowd erupted into a mixture of cheers and boos, before the boos clearly won out, according to footage posted on Twitter. [Update, 6:40 a.m. ET: The footage appears to have been deleted from Twitter for some reason, but you can still watch it below.] The booing got louder as Musk wandered around onstage with a microphone in hand. Musk started pacing and waving, clearly unsure what to do about such a negative reaction.

“Cheers and boos, I see. Elon...” Chappelle said.

“Hey Dave,” Musk responded, prompting another wave of boos from the crowd.

“All these people who are booing, and I’m just pointing out the obvious, you have terrible seats,” Chappelle said, apparently trying to save Musk’s dignity by calling the people who are booing poor.

Phones weren’t allowed inside the stadium for the show, but at least one person snuck theirs in and captured the bizarre exchange, posting it to Twitter.

Edit:

David Sacks immediately afterwards: "No, sir...they're saying boo-urns."

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

“Technically”??! LOL. Ok, man.

You can’t ‘smartest man in the room’ your way out of being loudly boo’d by thousands.

OTOH, it’s kind of just a red/blue-ometer isn’t it? I bet if no Musk was on stage, and Dave asked the audience to cheer if they are Republican, and boo if they are Democrat, you would not be able to notice a difference (compared to Musk’s ‘reception’)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It’s almost as if my statement on not being traditionally conservative or liberal is a transparent lie and I am nothing more than 4Chan troll steeped in the worst of race-centric misogyny who is also an excellent investor… but nahhh.
Holman

Post by Holman »

A guy who grew up rich in Apartheid South Africa might still turn out to be a decent human being in later life.

When that guy in 2022 spends all day flirting with the worst of the extreme Right, I don't think we can really doubt who he is.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I think we knew all we needed to know about Musk after he called that cave diver a pedo guy when they were trying to rescue the soccer kids in Thailand and the cave diver dismissed Elon’s ideas about using an submersible robot:
Tesla CEO Elon Musk lashed out and called one of the rescuers of the boys soccer team trapped in a Thai cave “pedo guy” because he felt insulted by the man. That was what Musk and his lawyer argued Tuesday, as Musk testified in a defamation suit brought by the rescuer.

On July 15, 2018, Musk tweeted “pedo guy” in reference to Vernon Unsworth, one of the people involved in the Thai cave rescue that saved 12 boys and their soccer coach that same month. Musk took the stand for about four hours in a Los Angeles courtroom on Tuesday and argued that he did not intend for the words “pedo guy” to be a statement of fact but rather as an insult after Unsworth provoked him
Musk ended up winning the lawsuit when the cave diver sued him for defamation and the jury agreed it was a joke. Still, tells you all you need to know about Musk.

Also, I just realized who Elon’s attorney was in the defamation case: Lin Wood.

Yes.

That Lin Wood. :roll:
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kurth wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:48 pm I think we knew all we needed to know about Musk after he called that cave diver a pedo guy when they were trying to rescue the soccer kids in Thailand and the cave diver dismissed Elon’s ideas about using an submersible robot:
Tesla CEO Elon Musk lashed out and called one of the rescuers of the boys soccer team trapped in a Thai cave “pedo guy” because he felt insulted by the man. That was what Musk and his lawyer argued Tuesday, as Musk testified in a defamation suit brought by the rescuer.

On July 15, 2018, Musk tweeted “pedo guy” in reference to Vernon Unsworth, one of the people involved in the Thai cave rescue that saved 12 boys and their soccer coach that same month. Musk took the stand for about four hours in a Los Angeles courtroom on Tuesday and argued that he did not intend for the words “pedo guy” to be a statement of fact but rather as an insult after Unsworth provoked him
Musk ended up winning the lawsuit when the cave diver sued him for defamation and the jury agreed it was a joke. Still, tells you all you need to know about Musk.

Yes.

Lin Wood was the attorney opposing Musk.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:04 pm
Kurth wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:48 pm I think we knew all we needed to know about Musk after he called that cave diver a pedo guy when they were trying to rescue the soccer kids in Thailand and the cave diver dismissed Elon’s ideas about using an submersible robot:

Yes.

Lin Wood was the attorney opposing Musk.
:doh: Yep. I misread that. A real legal eagle, I am.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:43 am “Technically”??! LOL. Ok, man.

You can’t ‘smartest man in the room’ your way out of being loudly boo’d by thousands.

OTOH, it’s kind of just a red/blue-ometer isn’t it? I bet if no Musk was on stage, and Dave asked the audience to cheer if they are Republican, and boo if they are Democrat, you would not be able to notice a difference (compared to Musk’s ‘reception’)
I love how he calls the left unhinged, when he's in the thick of the far-right extremist territory.

Came across a great passage while reading Ken Follett's latest, Never, which is actually one of his recent best. Anyway, I think it sums up the situation with Musk.
Ken Follett wrote:"The trouble with being a tyrant is that your position is so insecure. You can't relax your grip for an instant. As soon as you show weakness, the smell of blood is in the air and the jackals gather. Machiavelli said it's better to be feared than loved, but he was wrong. A popular leader can make mistakes and survive, up to a point. A tyrant can't."
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

People pay money for this?

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Piss yellow checkmarks are so, so stupid.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:28 pm
Ken Follett wrote:"The trouble with being a tyrant is that your position is so insecure. You can't relax your grip for an instant. As soon as you show weakness, the smell of blood is in the air and the jackals gather. Machiavelli said it's better to be feared than loved, but he was wrong. A popular leader can make mistakes and survive, up to a point. A tyrant can't."
Interesting take. I'd point out that tyrants often get to decide what is a mistake and what isn't. Typically along the lines of "If I did it, it wasn't a mistake."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:13 pm People pay money for this?

Better version:

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

My working theory is that since a certain someone didn't reappear on Twitter to become the central villain, Elon has simply decided to do it himself.