Social Media Discussion

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Social Media Discussion

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I think I mentioned it before but I think there will be some sort of subscription model where you pay for enhancements and possibly even tiered access.

The more you pay, the less curated you are but the more curated the content you see will be. Give people who pay what they want.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:31 am more importantly act as a kind of manipulator of public discourse, alienating some, but not enough to kill it. Profits can be sacrificed for vision.
Ding! Dissenters can be sacrificed for that vision as well. He's shown that time and again. In a literal sense.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-mu ... ing-2020-4

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-mu ... sla-2020-7

https://www.tpr.org/technology-entrepre ... -employees
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:39 am
Jaymann wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:56 am What's wrong with kissing dogs?
Because it's a slippery slope, my friend....a slippery slope.
Spoiler:
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:04 pm Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That guy was asking for it though. Did you see the mukluks he was wearing?
He won. Period.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:31 am Are you capable of engaging people you disagree with without resorting to layer upon layer of condescending, contemptuous, dismissive bullshit?
Certainly, but if that's your notion of engaging people you disagree with without resorting to condescending, contemptuous, dismissive bullshit…

Enlarge Image

Perhaps you missed the context, but the original version of the post I was responding to included a variety of personal attacks and insults sufficient to prompt ImLawBoy to chime in with a friendly reminder to keep things civil (which was not done at my behest). I generally aim to treat and respond to others in the same way they treat and respond to me. So, rather than ignore ImLawBoy's reminder and respond in kind with similar insults and personal attacks, I responded with levity. If my levity struck you as inappropriately dismissive? Oh well.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:27 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:39 am
Jaymann wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:56 am What's wrong with kissing dogs?
Because it's a slippery slope, my friend....a slippery slope.
Spoiler:
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:04 pm Image
I was inwardly cringing, waiting for that to escalate to something truly horrific involving rending of flesh and lots of blood.

Well, more horrific, anyways.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:46 pm
Perhaps you missed the context, but the original version of the post I was responding to included a variety of personal attacks and insults sufficient to prompt ImLawBoy to chime in with a friendly reminder to keep things civil (which was not done at my behest).
I saw it pre-edit.

If you think your posts being criticized for intellectual dishonesty is a deep personal attack, and is the same as your constant condescension and hyperbolic non-arguments, then yeah, I'm wasting my time. I'll go back to my 'pearl clutching histrionics' or whatever dismissive ad hominem you like to fall back on.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:32 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:46 pm
Perhaps you missed the context, but the original version of the post I was responding to included a variety of personal attacks and insults sufficient to prompt ImLawBoy to chime in with a friendly reminder to keep things civil (which was not done at my behest).
I saw it pre-edit.

If you think your posts being criticized for intellectual dishonesty is a deep personal attack, and is the same as your constant condescension and hyperbolic non-arguments, then yeah, I'm wasting my time. I'll go back to my 'pearl clutching histrionics' or whatever dismissive ad hominem you like to fall back on.
If that were what I thought, I would've said so myself without your helpful misrepresentation.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

:idea:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Deal is looking less likely at current bid. TSLA and TWTR shares have dropped significantly. Elon will want to pay less, TWTR shareholders/board probably don't want less.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:00 am Deal is looking less likely at current bid. TSLA and TWTR shares have dropped significantly. Elon will want to pay less, TWTR shareholders/board probably don't want less.
Isn't that a billion dollar oopsie if he doesn't buy it because he no longer thinks funding is secured? I don't see that happening unless I am only getting a smaller part of the picture.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:15 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:00 am Deal is looking less likely at current bid. TSLA and TWTR shares have dropped significantly. Elon will want to pay less, TWTR shareholders/board probably don't want less.
Isn't that a billion dollar oopsie if he doesn't buy it because he no longer thinks funding is secured? I don't see that happening unless I am only getting a smaller part of the picture.
I haven't done the math but there is a point where the $1B breakup fee is cheaper.

There's a reason that TWTR is $6 or so below Musk's bid: less confidence that the deal will get done at $54.20 (not a random number, BTW). His currency, TSLA stock, has lost value. He will have to give up significantly more of his company at the current bid.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Apparently Musk is trying to seek a new source of funding.
Elon Musk is in talks to raise enough equity and preferred financing for his proposed buyout of Twitter Inc to negate the need for a $6.25 billion margin loan linked to his shares of Tesla, Bloomberg Law reported on Thursday, citing people with knowledge of the matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

There's about a $9B gap between the bid and current prices. It's going to come down to contract language. From what I understand, Musk waived due diligence but I'm sure there are some other protections.

But there still a good chance he walks and pays the $1B.

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Elon Musk says Twitter deal 'temporarily on hold'
Elon Musk said Friday that his planned $44 billion US purchase of Twitter is "temporarily on hold" pending details on spam and fake accounts on the social media platform, another twist amid signs of internal turmoil over the proposed acquisition.

Musk, who has been vocal about his desire to clean up Twitter's problem with "spam bots" that mimic real people, appeared to question whether the company was underreporting them.

In a tweet, the Tesla billionaire linked to a Reuters story from May 2, citing a financial filing from Twitter that estimated false or spam accounts made up fewer than 5 per cent of the company's "monetizable daily active users" in the first quarter.

"Twitter deal temporarily on hold pending details supporting calculation that spam/fake accounts do indeed represent less than 5% of users," Musk wrote in his tweet, indicating he's skeptical that the number of inauthentic accounts is that low.

Twitter did not immediately respond to requests for comment early Friday.

Musk followed up on his original tweet and added, "Still committed to acquisition."

It wasn't clear whether the issue could scuttle the deal. Stock in both Twitter and Tesla swung sharply in opposite directions, with Twitter's stock tumbling 18 per cent, and Tesla, which Musk had proposed using to help fund the Twitter deal, jumped 5 per cent.
My money would be on >5%. A study in 2017 estimated that the number of bot accounts was 9-15%.

As many as 48 million Twitter accounts aren’t people, says study
A big chunk of those “likes,” “retweets,” and “followers” lighting up your Twitter account may not be coming from human hands. According to new research from the University of Southern California and Indiana University, up to 15 percent of Twitter accounts are in fact bots rather than people.

The research could be troubling news for Twitter, which has struggled to grow its user base in the face of growing competition from Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and others.

Researchers at USC used more than one thousand features to identify bot accounts on Twitter, in categories including friends, tweet content and sentiment, and time between tweets. Using that framework, researchers wrote that “our estimates suggest that between 9% and 15% of active Twitter accounts are bots.”

Since Twitter currently has 319 million monthly active users, that translates to nearly 48 million bot accounts, using USC’s high-end estimate.

The report goes on to say that complex bots could have shown up as humans in their model, “making even the 15% figure a conservative estimate.”

At 15 percent, the evaluation is far greater than Twitter’s own estimates. In a filing with the SEC last month, Twitter said that up to 8.5 percent of all active accounts contacted Twitter’s servers ”…without any discernable additional user-initiated action.”
Last edited by Max Peck on Fri May 13, 2022 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

He's just probing public opinion/response. Bot% doesn't matter.
Musk also waived his right to carry out due diligence when he negotiated the Twitter deal, trying to get the company to accept his "best and final" offer. This makes it harder for him to argue in court that Twitter misled him.
https://www.reuters.com/technology/can- ... 022-05-11/

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

And I repeat
LordMortis wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:14 am Also Dorsey and Musk are in agreement that Bots and scammers are extremely rare. :roll:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61399483
"He and I are of the same mind that permanent bans should be extremely rare and reserved for accounts that are bots or scam accounts,"
Donald Musk. Two heads of the same coin. Only one actually does good as a sociopathic manipulator who would sacrifice anyone for his yayas.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:16 am And I repeat
LordMortis wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:14 am Also Dorsey and Musk are in agreement that Bots and scammers are extremely rare. :roll:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61399483
"He and I are of the same mind that permanent bans should be extremely rare and reserved for accounts that are bots or scam accounts,"
Doesn't matter if bots are 5% or 15%. He waived due diligence and also contractually obligated not to badmouth the deal. You can tell his boneheaded tweet today was immediately followed by one crafted by his lawyers.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:47 am There's about a $9B gap between the bid and current prices. It's going to come down to contract language. From what I understand, Musk waived due diligence but I'm sure there are some other protections.

Yup - someone likened it to him paying $1B for the option. Which is pretty tolerable when it is well less than 1% of your net worth. And he'll try to weasel out.
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:19 amDoesn't matter if bots are 5% or 15%. He waived due diligence and also contractually obligated not to badmouth the deal. You can tell his boneheaded tweet today was immediately followed by one crafted by his lawyers.
+1
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

"On second thought, let's not buy Twitter. It's a silly place."
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:32 am
"On second thought, let's not buy Twitter. It's a silly place."
It's only a twaddle...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:04 am
Couldn't resist the comments, Ray. This one is particularly poignant.
is it market manipulation if it was already obvious?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:33 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:47 am There's about a $9B gap between the bid and current prices. It's going to come down to contract language. From what I understand, Musk waived due diligence but I'm sure there are some other protections.

Yup - someone likened it to him paying $1B for the option. Which is pretty tolerable when it is well less than 1% of your net worth. And he'll try to weasel out.
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:19 amDoesn't matter if bots are 5% or 15%. He waived due diligence and also contractually obligated not to badmouth the deal. You can tell his boneheaded tweet today was immediately followed by one crafted by his lawyers.
+1
I assume that the tweet is laying out his public cover story for gradually backing out of the deal.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:54 amI assume that the tweet is laying out his public cover story for gradually backing out of the deal.
Looks like it. It just seem weak but I'm sure he is fine with the fight. It's pocket change. Some folks think that he is manipulating the market (potentially for his or proxy player's gain) which is what the Tweet I posted is talking about.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:01 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:54 amI assume that the tweet is laying out his public cover story for gradually backing out of the deal.
Looks like it. It just seem weak but I'm sure he is fine with the fight. It's pocket change. Some folks think that he is manipulating the market (potentially for his or proxy player's gain) which is what the Tweet I posted is talking about.
It's him laying out his own ill-advised personal justification for walking. But it's in violation of his agreement not to badmouth the deal or Twitter while still finalizing the deal. Which is why his lawyers probably made him send the follow up an hour later.

MYT
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

You have to admire Elon's innovative, break-the-mold approach to business negotiations.
The NY Times wrote:On Monday, Parag Agrawal, Twitter’s chief executive, also posted a lengthy thread detailing how the company calculates its number of bots. He said the company’s internal estimates for the last four quarters “were all well under 5 percent.”

Mr. Musk later responded to Mr. Agrawal’s tweet thread with a poop emoji.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

AWS260 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:52 pm You have to admire Elon's innovative, break-the-mold approach to business negotiations.
The NY Times wrote:On Monday, Parag Agrawal, Twitter’s chief executive, also posted a lengthy thread detailing how the company calculates its number of bots. He said the company’s internal estimates for the last four quarters “were all well under 5 percent.”

Mr. Musk later responded to Mr. Agrawal’s tweet thread with a poop emoji.
It's better to be lucky than good. And it's better to be a lucky asshole than just lucky.

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Elon Tells Twitter: Prove That Bots Aren't a Big Deal, or I Sink This Buyout
Elon Musk, current Tesla CEO and perhaps not Twitter’s future owner, has a message for the social media network he once coveted but now comments on with poop emojis: Show him that spam bots and fake accounts are less than 5% of Twitter users or watch him blow this whole deal up.

“Yesterday, Twitter’s CEO publicly refused to show proof of <5%. This deal cannot move forward until he does,” Musk tweeted early Tuesday morning. The day prior, the richest man in the world had sparred with Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal, tweeting the poop emoji at the executive’s explanation of the prevalence of automated accounts on the social network.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

When a 4Chan troll is the richest man in the world...
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, sounds he's trolling. Hard to tell his intent and whether he's serious when it's doing this. Seems like their relationship is off to a great start this early in the process. :roll:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I guess you could put this in numerous threads, but given Twitter is where Musk is making most of his hay these days...here you go.

This definitely gives horse trading a whole new meaning.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

His tweet about Dems coming after him makes even more sense now.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:48 pm His tweet about Dems coming after him makes even more sense now.
There's a whole lot of recent tweets (and some past ones) that make even more sense now, even beyond that one.
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

You got me. I couldn't resist.

This made me laugh, at least.
The agreement also included restrictive non-disclosure and non-disparagement clauses...
malchior

Post by malchior »

I dropped this story in one if the P&R threads as well. His only comment in the BI article pretty much confirmed the story while complaining it was a political hit job. Once you know what to look for it is pretty obvious he is a manipulative scumbag.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Elon is doubling down on Twitter that the BI story is untrue (even though BI gave him a chance to respond and he wouldn't because he says it's a "hit piece"), calling the person who outed the information a "far left activist/actress in LA with a major political axe to grind".

Also, Popehat brings the funny:

Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:21 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:48 pm His tweet about Dems coming after him makes even more sense now.
There's a whole lot of recent tweets (and some past ones) that make even more sense now, even beyond that one.
He's all to predictable. And it's pretty clear why he wanted to control Twitter. It's his own personal damage control network.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

FWIW these efforts are the way to handle these sort of hucksters/malignant narcissists. You don't focus on what they are saying and instead point out how and why they are lying from the get go.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, if you're literally caught with your pants down, you can be sure to be called on it. :wink:

And yep, this is exactly why it's a bad idea for him to have control of Twitter.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti