Social Media Discussion

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

malchior

Re: Social Media Discussion

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:26 am So the next question is will his impulsive, beholden to nothing but his whims, see him taking out loans against his TSLA to follow through (or will funding be secured through other means) or will he turn a different way if things don't instantly come up roses for him?

What's the price of dogecoin? His whim was to monetize twitter through subscription payable in dogecoin, which he had invested in "as a joke."

The man leaves me so deeply conflicted. His vision often sees so much good made real and his actions... don't...
The man doesn't leave me too conflicted. I've read enough about his 'style' of leadership to see this is more of his usual dirty tricks. He bullies and cons and manipulates everything to get his way. His 'vision' is often someone else's vision he's stolen and hawked as his own. He certainly has business skills and got Tesla and SpaceX through critical phases. However, it often relied on government subsidies, stock manipulation, and other unsavory practices to say the least. There is a reason he often aligns with Trump. He is cut from the same cloth. At least, most of Musk's stuff as far as we know is mostly above board when he is skirting the line.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:46 am
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:05 pm From what I recall, Musk aims to make Twitter's algorithm open source, and allow users to choose what types of tweets they see and what order they see 'em in. Letting users choose their own algorithm -- even if only to listen to the lies they want to hear -- versus being manipulated by Twitter's proprietary algorithm that routinely serves up vast quantities of curated bullshit anyway, doesn't strike me as all that worrisome. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯
If that's all I suspected he were going to do, I'd be less concerned. I don't know much about algorithms and things like that, but I do know that Twitter recently kept suggesting I might be interested in Ohio State content, so there's clearly something amiss there.
Twitter already has an "algorithm" that lets you avoid seeing "vast quantities of curated bullshit". It's the "Latest Tweets" option. That only shows me tweets from people I follow and the occasional "promoted" tweet. It doesn't show me tweets people I follow have liked, or tweets it thinks I'll like, which you get if you select "Home", and you can also easily curate your experience beyond that in the settings.

Also you damn well know if Musk buys Twitter and takes it private (which he wants to do now), it's not going to be just about an algorithm.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm hoping they tell him to piss off, but as everything is shit I'm sure they will take it. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

It's very much a hostile takeover by Musk. I don't think Twitter has any other option other than to take it, because to not do so likely wrecks their stock price.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:36 am It's very much a hostile takeover by Musk. I don't think Twitter has any other option other than to take it, because to not do so likely wrecks their stock price.
Well, seeing as how a Musk takeover would likely destroy the platform entirely (likely sending it the way of Gab, Parler, etc.), I'm not sure that's a particularly viable option either.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:56 am
pr0ner wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:36 am It's very much a hostile takeover by Musk. I don't think Twitter has any other option other than to take it, because to not do so likely wrecks their stock price.
Well, seeing as how a Musk takeover would likely destroy the platform entirely (likely sending it the way of Gab, Parler, etc.), I'm not sure that's a particularly viable option either.
This feels apt:

Also, you do make a very good point re: Musk destroying the platform entirely.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Elon to the SEC:

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wait until he realizes he could just as easily buy a presidential nomination.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Smoove_B wrote:Wait until he realizes he could just as easily buy a presidential nomination.
Why else do you think he wants Twitter?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He's foreign-born. No presidency for him.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:28 pm He's foreign-born. No presidency for him.
Ah, good point. I guess we'll see if money can fix that too.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Isgrimnur wrote:He's foreign-born. No presidency for him.
Why should that stop him?

Snark aside...

There's no way this is anything other than grift or politics. He's either doing it for bribes or control.

Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:56 am
The board's fiduciary responsibility is to the shareholders. That would end if Musk took the company private. The whole idea of so called vulture capitalism depends on this. As long as the shareholders are taken care of, the fate of the company is a secondary concern.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

noxiousdog wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:47 pm

There's no way this is anything other than grift or politics.
Or both. If he gets full control, he can post whatever he wants and not have to deal with consequences, not have to worry about deleting tweets. Then he can unban people that share his political views, and the platforming begins.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think he is kinda nuts. Used to think better of him..like Dr Oz...that is a big nut. Maybe he could get Oz to be his VP. Dr Phil could be Secretary of State.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:13 pm I think he is kinda nuts. Used to think better of him..like Dr Oz...that is a big nut. Maybe he could get Oz to be his VP. Dr Phil could be Secretary of State.
Elon isn't crazy. Narcissistic, sure, but that's not crazy. He knows exactly what he is doing and he's having fun along the way. He may be a total ass hole, but he's a pretty smart asshole which solidly differentiates him from Trump. I'm less familiar with Oz and Phil to judge them. We can just blame Oprah for giving them a platform.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm no stock market guru, but is buying up shares on the sly, then announcing a hostile takeover bid that you don't plan to execute, then waiting for the share price to rise as the suckers buy in so that you can buy them out, then dumping your shares at a profit something that could work?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

manipulating the market via social media? Elon? *gasp*
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:25 am I'm no stock market guru, but is buying up shares on the sly, then announcing a hostile takeover bid that you don't plan to execute, then waiting for the share price to rise as the suckers buy in so that you can buy them out, then dumping your shares at a profit something that could work?
That's pretty much exactly what Mark Cuban tweeted yesterday - that Musk is "fucking with the SEC" (actual quote) to drive up the price of shares so he can dump his minority ownership at a huge profit.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Musk should just grow a mustache so that he can have something to twirl now.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Elon Musk strikes deal to buy Twitter for $44bn
The board of Twitter has agreed to a $44bn (£34.5bn) takeover offer from the billionaire Elon Musk.

Mr Musk, who made the shock bid less than two weeks ago, said Twitter had "tremendous potential" that he would unlock.

He also called for a series of changes from relaxing its content restrictions to eradicating fake accounts.

The firm initially rebuffed Mr Musk's bid, but it will now ask shareholders to vote to approve the deal.

Mr Musk is the world's richest man, according to Forbes magazine, with an estimated net worth of $273.6bn mostly due to his shareholding in electric vehicle maker Tesla which he runs. He also leads the aerospace firm SpaceX.

"Free speech is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Twitter is the digital town square where matters vital to the future of humanity are debated," Mr Musk said in a statement announcing the deal.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The beginning of the end of Twitter….
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:52 pm The beginning of the end of Twitter….
This is the weirdest buy in history. I don't know what investor thought giving Musk money to ruin a platform was a good idea.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

malchior wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:59 pm
This is the weirdest buy in history. I don't know what investor thought giving Musk money to ruin a platform was a good idea.
Somebody that wanted that ex-president to have more influence? I'd say more, but we're not in R&P.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

He'll either swing wide the gates and it'll naturally turn into 4chan, Gab, etc., or he'll keep it mostly intact for fear of losing advertising revenue. My money would be on the latter.

I would also bet that there will end up being lots of angry people who are currently viewing Musk as the "savior of free speech".
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Given Musk's talk about free speech on Twitter, has there been any mention of unbanning Trump?

It's funny because I don't love the optics of how that would happen (if it does), but at the same time I think Twitter did Trump and the GOP a big favor by banning Trump because greater direct public exposure to Trump tends to hurt Trump and the GOP's overall popularity. So I kind of hope that he does get unbanned.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Free speech should not include falsehoods and lies.

I have enough parts after 28 years of PC'n to put together a server and some software if Musk wants to buy it for a billion Im happy.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't see the downside...
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:58 pm Given Musk's talk about free speech on Twitter, has there been any mention of unbanning Trump?
I don't think so, not specifically, but if you read between the lines, it's entirely possible he would given his stance and political opinions. I could easily see him enabling like-minded individuals, and I could see Twitter becoming a right-leaning platform when theoretically a social media platform should be neutral given that they are international.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:43 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:58 pm Given Musk's talk about free speech on Twitter, has there been any mention of unbanning Trump?
I don't think so, not specifically, but if you read between the lines, it's entirely possible he would given his stance and political opinions. I could easily see him enabling like-minded individuals, and I could see Twitter becoming a right-leaning platform when theoretically a social media platform should be neutral given that they are international.
It's a very small sampling, but I know a number of leftish folks in my extended social media circles are talking about walking away from Twitter.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

gbasden wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:24 pm
Rumpy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:43 pm
It's a very small sampling, but I know a number of leftish folks in my extended social media circles are talking about walking away from Twitter.
It will be interesting to see what unfolds when his ownership becomes active. I imagine it's not going to happen straight away.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If it becomes a hive of scum and villainy, I guess scum and villains need a hive and hope they enjoy theirs. I also hope it quickly loses relevance to those who aren't scummy villains.

If the Leopards Eat Your Face Party took over OO, I'd be sad to lose my internet home, but I'd be even sadder to witness its fall.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:09 pm Free speech should not include falsehoods and lies.
Rubbish. The remedy for abuse of free speech is more speech, not censorship. As a far more distinguished gent than I aptly put it:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

How do the people that think this is the end of Twitter think that is going to happen?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Musk is a troll and loves sowing chaos. Of course he'll unban Trump.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:48 am Rubbish. The remedy for abuse of free speech is more speech, not censorship.
How has that been working out for the last few years on social media, in the face of relentless campaigns of disinformation? Have you made a lot of progress by debating with Russian troll farms and Chinese bots?

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:04 am Musk is a troll and loves sowing chaos.
So much this
Of course he'll unban Trump.
I tend to think this is the case under "free speech" but it will very much hurt the Musk brand. Of course, non unbanning Trump will hurt the Musk brand and he's 4Chan child at heart, so I go back to thinking unbanning in time for elections will be thing.

We'll see.
Max Peck wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:07 am Have you made a lot of progress by debating with Russian troll farms and Chinese bots?
That's where I'm at. I see what disinformation overload is doing and I fear for idea of free speech. That said, I Twitter wasn't the vehicle for free speech before Musk and won't be after, no matter how he promotes it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:07 am
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:48 am Rubbish. The remedy for abuse of free speech is more speech, not censorship.
How has that been working out for the last few years on social media, in the face of relentless campaigns of disinformation? Have you made a lot of progress by debating with Russian troll farms and Chinese bots?
This is where I am caught up on things. Automated bots abuse free speech to a degree that can't be matched by simple 'grassroots' push-back on bad ideas.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:14 am

That's where I'm at.
Oops, I hadn't even read your reply - didn't mean to nearly echo you there.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Why would banning bots be considered an action against the principles of free speech (as I assume we all agree Twitter can do whatever it wants and not actually violate Constitutionally protected Free Speech).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles