Oxygen Not Included!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Tampa_Gamer

Re: Oxygen Not Included!

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Thanks LordMortis, I plan to go back a few cycles tonight and take a look. Might be some other source of germs then.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

There a ton of templates out there but this is one that inspired me (and may be outdated)

He was way more complex than I was at the time but he also taught me how to do auto shut offs and handle overflows, even if he added more stuff than I cared about. 10:55 details the germy water and its effects.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Cool, I had not seen that one. Thanks
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

A little bit of experimental growth tonight seems to indicate that ice+trace amount of water+ Metal Tile = Radiator. The more water you add the more your water becomes a thermostat slowing the cold absorption of the metal for a longer period of mild cooling

Ice plus trace water did this within seconds I think (I wasn't paying close attention, not expecting such drastic results)

Enlarge Image

The more water I add (which was about 30C) I get this

Enlarge Image

This will mitigate my heat problem for quite some time. It really didn't take that much ice from my sad melting cold biome for this bit of test.

(And my exploration hit another revealed geyser, salt water. More heat....) I've explored almost all of the yellow heats zones and revealed about as much of the blue ones I can without tapping deep in to the orange zones. I'm debating that now. I fear I've already revealed too many geysers/vents to over power the cool of the wheezeworts I've revealed.

Research is done until I get to the surface and am prepared to do whatever it is you need to do to do surface research. I'm in no hurry there though. My colony is still in shambles.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

How do I get the dups to wear the clothing I just made?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’m plugging away at my 2nd colony. The wife is addicted and on her 6th or so restart.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:40 pm How do I get the dups to wear the clothing I just made?
It's in their tooltip. You can click on them and put clothing on from there if I recall correctly.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:58 pm I’m plugging away at my 2nd colony. The wife is addicted and on her 6th or so restart.
Happy to see the game get some love, it's an amazing game.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:03 am
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:40 pm How do I get the dups to wear the clothing I just made?
It's in their tooltip. You can click on them and put clothing on from there if I recall correctly.
Must remind self to check this. I was going to say, click on the clothes, assign to a dup, and then deprioritize their other work until the damned suit on or wait until they fell like it (if other priorities are high enough they never will take the time to change clothes). That's what I do, your way sounds better.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

After replaying the last 5-6 cycles last night (can you imagine playing this game ironman style!) Turns out it wasn't the washroom set-up itself that caused the outbreak of germs but sloppy use of the existing washroom in the meantime. I force moved the dupes several times to ensure they washed up after turning the compost pile or other activities and I now have the washroom working correctly. Still feels like a bit of a cheat, but on to the next challenges of getting my early game coal power going and start insulating areas from the growing heat. I feel like I am in the stone age compared to all of you!!

Any good tips on early insulation/heat handling would be welcome as I had not focused on this in previous games.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Tampa_Gamer wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:14 pm After replaying the last 5-6 cycles last night (can you imagine playing this game ironman style!)
That is why I false started so many times and why I'm playing one step above sandbox style. If I'm still enjoying the game deep in to it, I'll turn up the difficulty and probably take save scumming of the table.

Turns out it wasn't the washroom set-up itself that caused the outbreak of germs but sloppy use of the existing washroom in the meantime.

Been there. one clean to one dirty with one exit.
Any good tips on early insulation/heat handling would be welcome as I had not focused on this in previous games.
I don't know if my tips are good but get to the insulated tile much faster than I did. Put a barrier up before anything that's orange. Anything that generates heat (Coal, battery, compost, etc) and does not need to be attended (research, grill) goes on the outside of the insulation.

Try to work with cool materials. I love my gold volcano. Building with 70C+ gold is not an option though, so I let (or force it to) cool before building with it.

Be careful with what you expose geyser/vent/volcano wise. On my easy playthrough, I'm not afraid to save scum to avoid heat generating production.

I was learning whether or not I liked the ice maker when I felt I had to break in to an ice biome. Once I broke the seal and discovered it was going to melt (see heat generating geysers.. :x ) I started pulling ice in to my colony. The cool is helped in by the insulation.

Metal conducts heat and cold easiest. Water retains heat and cold really well. (unless it's a really thin later, it looks like, which makes it a good way to move heat and cold across metal even more quickly)

That's where I'm at now. Sepiche and company are much more in touch with real ways to do things.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm starting another No Sweat game on Terra, this time with my dups immune to stress. My last colony was a learning experience on power and fluids, on this one I'm going to try to understand the whole food thing (no pun intended) :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I haven't had any breaks but stress reduction (and my lack of providing for it in my building method) is becoming a bigger threat. I don't know when breaking points are but I've had dups spike as high as 13% and that makes me nervous without knowing if that is justified. I started compartmentalizing areas so they become parks and nature preserves last night but what I really need to do is start working on latrines and maybe create a massage parlour (something I've never done) and commit to better foods and shorter times away from the colony and slime and debris reduction and oxygen control and....

I've hit the point where my fear of the unknown has me foregoing higher level skills to reduce morale penalties and wondering if I should stop skill advancing some dups altogether.

I don't like to remove features completely but I am glad I'm doing the No Sweat thing for now.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:11 pm I don't like to remove features completely but I am glad I'm doing the No Sweat thing for now.
I had second thoughts about it too and decided to just go with the default settings, which make it easier but are still going to challenge me at some point:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Don't neglect the rooms overlay and the requirements there to help with morale.

Of course, I ended up polluting my dining hall with natural gas...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I assume jz's settings are what I have. To me that looks like the normal No Sweat settings but I wouldn't bet money on it. I like to experience the drivers of the game but I don't want them to intimidate me from learning the game. I can come back to make it hard later if I don't get distracted by something else.

Aside from heat, hunger, O2, stress is my only real concern.

Not sure how I'll treat a reset. I think disease should play a bigger role (probably because it did in the last stage of the beta I played) but there used to be an easy warning that disease was impending, a la how you track stress rising. Now tracking susceptibility is a chore (for me) and then boom. Slimelung. boom. heat stroke. boom. hypothermia (I've not had food poisoning yet and don't know what zombie germs are yet and no one's been wounded) I freaked out the first time it happened and then discovered I couldn't assign them a sick bed and freaked out more but then realized their illness was timed and trivial, so for now, meh. If disease is a game changer and I have no (easy) warning when it comes to tracking exposure, then there's no enjoyment for me at this stage. (it could change if my enjoyment evolves to something else)
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:27 pm Don't neglect the rooms overlay and the requirements there to help with morale.

I neglected parks and nature preserves until last night.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:27 pm Don't neglect the rooms overlay and the requirements there to help with morale.

Your chef must be pretty bad. ;)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Your chef must be pretty bad. ;)
:oops:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I really like my map but I think I might reset. I've (re)learned so much I'd build from scratch then work around my mistakes (food poisoned water at the main two choke points I want to expand in to). So now I'm wondering if I want to restart the map I really like (except for the water supply) or discover a new map.

Edit

And then I spent my gaming part of the evening doing the exact opposite of what a set out to do, staying in the same game and building temporary infrastructure, knowing I'll have to gut it.

Also pumping cold water does a great job of turning warm areas in to temperate areas.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Busted through a mix for H2O and PH2O that drained right in to my melting ice area. The area was kind enough to freeze the non polluted water which my dups are promptly picking up and putting in my cool water pools. That was a need accidental discovery. If things get warm I'm going to start dripping water in there for my dups to collect.

Though I think I have a good long CSG pump going on right piped through most of machine and generator area and it doing a pretty good job of slowing the heat and reversing it some areas. I started cleaning and splitting water with the hope that I'd funnel the hydrogen down the anti entropy machine in my melting ice biome. Only I am using a hydrogen generator fuel the elecrolyzers and the rig uses more energy than is produced by the hydrogen is creates. And it took like 20 plus cycles to get the rig to work reasonably, so the rig is staying for now.

So I think the next step is work on learning natty gas fuel. I have two max pressured geysers near my start that I'm going to try to figure out how to tap. I'm also wondering if I should take slickers when they are offered and dig a deep pit for some cooled oil. The problem is that real estate is still a premium and digging deep opens things I'd rather not open.

The asteroid feels a lot smaller than it did when last I played. I don't know if it is or it's just me.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Took me a bit to setup, but I think I have the heat problem tamed for the time being.

It's hard to see, but I have conductive vents running through my base and they are filled with hydrogen that is pumped through coolers which are in the center of a cold biome, plus the cold biome has a heat nullifier I can send a bit of the hydrogen to, and it absorbs enough heat to keep the hot hydrogen I keep pumping through cooled.

With that solved I think my next big task will be digging deep and hopefully getting some oil and plastics.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sepiche wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:18 pm It's hard to see, but I have conductive vents running through my base and they are filled with hydrogen that is pumped through coolers which are in the center of a cold biome, plus the cold biome has a heat nullifier I can send a bit of the hydrogen to, and it absorbs enough heat to keep the hot hydrogen I keep pumping through cooled.
Very, very cool :clap: . How many dups do you have there? Also, how did you collect the hydrogen that is keeping the critters in the upper left alive?

Every time I see one of these really well laid out bases I think that I ought to be able to do that. And then I try... :roll:
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:24 pm Very, very cool :clap: . How many dups do you have there? Also, how did you collect the hydrogen that is keeping the critters in the upper left alive?

Every time I see one of these really well laid out bases I think that I ought to be able to do that. And then I try... :roll:
12 at the moment, and plenty of food to go around, although I think my next crisis is going to be energy production as my hatch herd isn't producing enough coal to keep all my coal generators going.

The drecko ranch isn't fancy... I just made a room with a door on the bottom to keep hydogen from escaping, put a single electrolyzer in the room, and some mealworm plants on the bottom. It took a bit to get enough hydrogen built up, and I later had to add a gas sensor to turn off the electrolyzer when the hydrogen started to fill up the room, but it works to get some basic ranching done until you can setup something more elaborate.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I managed to learn that putting lights over the hamster wheels is a good thing.

I've hit a water shortage on my ice world, which, given that I'd transitioned from outhouses to lavatories, was a bad thing.

It finally dawned on me that not everything should be on one massive electrical circuit.

And my planning far outstrips the dups ability to fulfill my grand dreams, so I end up micro-managing the game with Priority-9 tasks.

Research far and away outstrips my ability to implement the resulting techs.

I need to slow my roll down, or start playing on a faster setting.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sepiche wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:47 am
jztemple2 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:24 pm Very, very cool :clap: . How many dups do you have there? Also, how did you collect the hydrogen that is keeping the critters in the upper left alive?

12 at the moment, and plenty of food to go around, although I think my next crisis is going to be energy production as my hatch herd isn't producing enough coal to keep all my coal generators going.

The drecko ranch isn't fancy... I just made a room with a door on the bottom to keep hydogen from escaping, put a single electrolyzer in the room, and some mealworm plants on the bottom. It took a bit to get enough hydrogen built up, and I later had to add a gas sensor to turn off the electrolyzer when the hydrogen started to fill up the room, but it works to get some basic ranching done until you can setup something more elaborate.
I was going to say, hyrdrogen natural flows up and would force the O2 out the bottom, so a temp electrolyzer or a temp pump and you are good to go. I didn't notice the electrolyzer was already in the room.

I like that you made a downward facing hatch and what appears to be a vent. That's something don't think to do when it comes to the way rooms pressurize. I'm going to put that in my pocket for later... Or for when I get home and have the drecko hydrogen cluster than has been blocking my progress for a while now, waiting for a convenient time to deal with it.

Crazy to think I was just trying to put a plan together for grabbing a slickster from an eventual care package and making a top down hatch for CO2 to oil in a cool environment but it never occurred to me to make upward hatch to farm dreckos in hydrogen. I actually have two prime spots for this that have totally been 200 cycles of dups not opening up areas to let the hydrogen and dreckos run amock. I was blind and now I see.

Edit: The more I think about it the more I'm kicking myself for not making upward pointing hatches instead of mechanized sealed doors. Your way is so much easier, space effective, and manages the gas better.
Last edited by LordMortis on Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:57 am It finally dawned on me that not everything should be on one massive electrical circuit.
Your first overloads will teach you that.

Research far and away outstrips my ability to implement the resulting techs.
For me there are only a few things I rush to and then I research to increase my dups ability to learn skills, constantly switching priorities so the lowest researcher is learning how to better learn.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:01 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:57 am It finally dawned on me that not everything should be on one massive electrical circuit.
I'm on base #3. On base 2, I ran myself out of copper by upgrading as much of the network as I could.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:07 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:01 pm
I'm on base #3. On base 2, I ran myself out of copper by upgrading as much of the network as I could.
In an old release even on easy setting, if you allowed disease, Slimelung spread like crazy and suits were absolutely necessary and they were necessary early. Atmo suits could only be made from raw copper. That taught me to hoard my copper. I move to Iron electric quick... Dup love for gold taught me to hoard my gold so I could build 10 ton rooms of oppulance, one at a time. Now on easy setting, slimelung is trivial. I'm carving out slime and dealing slimelung every day. About 250 or less cycles in, I still dont' have atmosuits because most of digging has been lateral. Though I might think twice before letting dups into the active AETN area. Even if it's not counteraciting the stupid cool steam vent that won't overpressurize for reasons I don't understand, the area directly around it is turning CO2 to liquid. That's a new level of cold for me.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

There is a Half Door mod that provides a one-square door. To get it to work, "You need to subscribe, enable in the mod menu (from ONI main menu) and then you need the same research as the vanilla mechanized airlock". Found that quote in the comments.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, I'm an idiot. I'm still getting strained electrical lines, but I have almost no load on them (three lightbulbs) and the power reaching them is coming through a transformer. Why is it strained and what should I be doing instead?

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

The terminology they use there is a bit odd, but your wiring is fine. Basically:
White - Nothing is consuming power on that circuit
Yellow - Power is being consumed, but it's within limits
Red - Circuit overloaded

Transformers don't count as power consumers, which is why the heavy watt wire is white.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Yeah... Strained really means "in use". You'll know if you have overload problems electric items will start to get damaged and dups will have to consume resources and time to repair them. That's when you start to insert transformers and/'or upgrade wire and/or separate electric grids.

As you use more and more electric and most of it is not in use all of the time you will see your grid(s) fluctuate back and forth to red from yellow when things are getting messy. That's a good indicator that you weren't monitoring your growth and equipment will start needing maintenance. I've yet to have equipment fail.

Last night, I started hitting stress levels of 30%+ for the first time. I may need to build the skill shaker. I am currently setting a 3rd schedule to R&R time and telling dups to sleep it off.. I may need to build massage tables etc... for the first time.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I am about 120 cycles into this with my 5th base now. Things are just starting to get more and more problematic. I can't find any more copper and the bottom levels of my base are scolding hot. Even the upper levels are starting to get bad. If I dig high enough can I just start venting heat into space? I've seen other forums mention things from arctic biomes but I have dug far and wide and have yet to encounter one.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Not having raw copper will become problematic unless things have changed (I'm not that far in yet)

Assuming you have other metal, I would start ripping apart wiring or research centers or generators or mesh doors or whatever and replace them with gold amalgam or raw iron and then hoard your copper specifically for suits.

I reserve gold for things I see and iron for things I dont. I never convert raw copper into refined copper. I think that was a Lorini lesson number one to me way back when.

Yes you can vent heat but you don't directly vent heat. You vent heat into something (CO2) and then vent that something.

If you haven't seen an arctic biome then you are not playing on the beginner asteriod.

According this page Frozen Biomes are not on the Ocean, Oasis, or Green asteroids (I'm not transcribing names and I don't have them memorized).

https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Asteroid_Types

No frozen biomes means managing heat will be more difficult, you need to find an alternate cool. If you see worts as care packages, I'd treat them like gold. Also water in care packages is cold, and well, so is ice....

No AETN and not ice biome, an no worts means be on the lookout for CO2 Geysers and Cool Slush Geysers, that and a frozen core or ice special features are the only natural way I know of to cool off. Everything is engineered heat displacement.

https://oni-assistant.com/tools/coolingcalculator
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

If I am understanding the Steam engine, it would only work if I were to heat my water even more than it already is? That seems counter productive as a cooling source...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lordnine wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:52 am If I am understanding the Steam engine, it would only work if I were to heat my water even more than it already is? That seems counter productive as a cooling source...

I haven't used a steam based generator yet, but if my understanding is correct, steam enters, liquid leaves, net heat lost. I don't know if superheating steam makes more energy or cools more. It's just a way to sink heat. If you have steam, you can change it energy and this is done by heat removal.

So it's not really a cooling source so much as a way to mitigate heat in a situation where steam exists with the bonus of energy.

As far as I know, if you have no natural cold generation, and if you have a place to vent heat, and you have the means to produce the energy, the easiest method to move heat is the ice machine. The ice machine creates some serious heat and uses even more serious energy and takes a while to work, but then you move the ice to holding area you need cooled and you keep the ice machine in area where you don't care about heat.

I was using the ice machine on a small scale until I broke through to a frozen biome... and then later pulled in a few cold things from care packages... and then later harnessed a cool slush geyser.

I have double edged sword with my CSG now though. It's produces so much polluted water above my colony that I'm almost out places to put it. I'm debating flooding it so it over pressurizes, like I finally did with the "cool" steam vent that melting all my precious ice but it is right next to the gold volcano my dups are addicted to exploiting and the CSG is the only way mitigate that heat for me at the moment.

I'm looking forward to the weekend and putting more time in this. Solving or can kicking emergent problems just keeps me playing.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Almost got my poowater pit cleaned out last night to start running water. I'm glad I didn't I dug 65x5 area for the pit and then realized when I woke up this morning that farming poowater for oxygen and converting it with air fresheners won't be as good as converting it with an water cleaner and electrolyzers, which will also give my another source of hydrogen and ultimately take up the same amount of real estate and allow me to plan a drecko habitat... and so running water will wait and I need to plan for power and more heat. I'm still mostly coal based and CO2 is building while my O2 supply is stable, aka CO2/chlorine are rising in to my colony, so this could get tricky. I'm debating setting air locks... more power more heat.... So I'm debating cleaning out another AETN and setting up more electrolyzers for more hydrogen....

I swear if I could just get this tractor to move faster it will stay in the air...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Got my plumbing up and running last night. In the few times I come this far, it always feels the huge accomplishment.

But still stress is too high. I guess that means I need to get to plastics which means I need to get more power and better heat management. Or maybe I just scramble out some skill point usage.

I think I'd benefit from more dups at this point as well. I can come up with the O2 and food I think and my daily progress is really beginning to slow, even while not having to fill water and fill and empty out houses. The problem is, I'm dup picky. I pick every exceptional dup I find and at 300+ cycles that's gotten me to total of 12.

I'm draining coal too fast already and the overpressurizeding natural gas geyser is right the middle of need to dig down.

Anticipating power, I think is the biggest concern. I've got 72 tons of coal but it is depleting way faster than I am mining and my hatch farm are shitting and my hatch farm is eating my less precious resources at pace I'm not comfortable with. They ate through 20 tons of Sediment in 20 cycles.

I dunno. That's what the weekend is for I guess.

Getting to plastic production was as far as I ever got before and I don't even remember what I did. My last memory of the game was cursing over pressured oil and trying to figure out how to contain its spread (and heat spread)

I'll probably post vanity, "look at me, I'm Mr Meseeks!" pics this weekend and you will laugh and go 'meh'

And I think I asked this before, but does anyone else feel like you are conducting the Dozers from Fraggle Rock when you play? I half expect someone to come along and eat my structures.

Also if I can get to plastics, i so want to see how pneumatic tubes works....

Also does anyone use automining or conveners for materials and such? Are they ever worth the effort?

Also does anyone use the more advance automation stuff? It made so much sense to use those sorts of features in Factorio but the only use I could see for them in ONI is to better harness geysers, volcanoes, etc... and I'm just not there.

I had a couple more also's and I forgot what they were.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I ran out of clean water last night. And I need water to finish the research to get the filtration system available. And I'm out of food.

Maybe I should go back to the starter asteroid.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:38 am I ran out of clean water last night. And I need water to finish the research to get the filtration system available. And I'm out of food.

Maybe I should go back to the starter asteroid.
There are at least two steam vents on all asteroids, aren't there? But yeah, I make research part of my thing. I had a very small amount of water that a used as sparsely as I reasonably could and I barely made it to setting up filtration system.

I spammed food with an early pip care package. I'm sure I'd be long dead without that pip. I never could have supported farms.

OTOH, if I did it again, I would probably have a polluted (but not poo polluted) water pit for run off on a direct flopping route for the 8 pacu carepackage. In the wild, letting them populate and die of old age, that's renewable cooked and satisfying 10,400 kilocalories at a pretty regular interval, with only the effort to gather the old corpses and cook them ever necessary.