[HBO] Barry

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

telcta

Re: [HBO] Barry

Post by telcta »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:33 pm A superb episode. NoHo stole every scene he was in…as usual.
Spoiler:
NoHo drooling over one of the bad ass killers was comedy gold.

“Add to cart.”

“Yes please.”

“He has 500 confirmed kills.”

“Make that 501.”

As for the Wahlberg shoutout, it just served as yet another reminder to me that Cousineau is really the villain of this show.
Spoiler:
“ Why am I still opening these?”

I laughed out loud during that whole scene. What a great show and NoHo’s line delivery is fantastic.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: yeah, I forgot about that great line.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, I certainly wasn’t expecting that ending. :shock:
Spoiler:
Barry ends up the hero. Wow…pardon the call out.

I can’t stand Cousineau, but his only crime was massive narcissism. Making him the big bad behind everything in the eyes of the public, and Barry into a hero, was not on my list.

By the way, when NoHo and Raven face off in the lobby, there’s a weird bit where NoHo is sobbing over Cristobal, but when they pull back the camera to show Barry’s kid in that scene, it’s obviously not the same scene as the neck down NoHo isn’t moving even a little. It took me out of the scene, it was so apparent. I’m guessing they shot that scene for the benefit of the child actor so he wouldn’t be involved with all the language and violence.
He won. Period.
telcta

Post by telcta »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:11 pm Well, I certainly wasn’t expecting that ending. :shock:
Spoiler:
Barry ends up the hero. Wow…pardon the call out.

I can’t stand Cousineau, but his only crime was massive narcissism. Making him the big bad behind everything in the eyes of the public, and Barry into a hero, was not on my list.

By the way, when NoHo and Raven face off in the lobby, there’s a weird bit where NoHo is sobbing over Cristobal, but when they pull back the camera to show Barry’s kid in that scene, it’s obviously not the same scene as the neck down NoHo isn’t moving even a little. It took me out of the scene, it was so apparent. I’m guessing they shot that scene for the benefit of the child actor so he wouldn’t be involved with all the language and violence.
Spoiler:
Just watched the finale now. I had the exact same reaction with the scene of his kid coming out. It was really obvious and jarring. I thought to myself, I bet hepcat caught that.

Also, this show does one take action scenes extremely well. This last one with the shootout and just when you thought it was over, the guy in the foreground lobs a grendade... then a slow pan tracking The Raven and Barry's Kid. The other recent action scene that was great was NoHo missing the house with the rocket then trying to escape ( thought the rocket was going to take out his girl and her daughter). Loved that scene.
I'm going to miss this show. So many finales in the past few days... Barry, Succession, Maisel, Love and Death. I feel I'll be in a TV slump for a bit.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

A+ finale for me and a perfect end to the series, imho. Still amazed at how much they were consistently able to pack into a ~30 minute episode.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Perfect ending.

When I realized that Fuchs had covered the boy with his body I got a little teary.

That series was just fantastic.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Good lord, I just started watching this, and it's keeping me up WAY past my bedtime, watching "just one more little episode".

The casting is...mind blowingly good. Someone upthread mentioned that NoHo Hank deserves his own show...completely agree. As much screen time as he's already gotten, it doesn't feel like enough. Also, why no eyebrows?!? Did I nod off in his origin story?

Recent SMALL scene that was SO damn well done: Fuches is at the doctor's office I think, and he's on the phone...doctor writes something on a pad, in doctor scratch, and Fuchs squints at it...and just his expression after he says "THAT'S what that says?!?" is priceless.

Also love the Rip Torn reference somewhere in there (they look almost identical!).

Henry Winkler, as always, is amazing. I might have to nominate him for "national treasure" status. America needs a UK version of knighting. Winkler should get that, whatever we decide that will be. Maybe a trophy shaped like a gun or something.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:19 pm Also, why no eyebrows?!? Did I nod off in his origin story?
Since childhood, Carrigan has had alopecia areata, an autoimmune disease that causes hair loss. He had mild symptoms growing up with only small, manageable bald spots, but he started losing more hair in his 20s and has spoken of wearing makeup and artificial eyebrows while filming The Forgotten. He is now known for his complete lack of hair, eyebrows, and eyelashes, and has incorporated this into his career, often being typecast as a television villain.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:42 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:19 pm Also, why no eyebrows?!? Did I nod off in his origin story?
Since childhood, Carrigan has had alopecia areata, an autoimmune disease that causes hair loss. He had mild symptoms growing up with only small, manageable bald spots, but he started losing more hair in his 20s and has spoken of wearing makeup and artificial eyebrows while filming The Forgotten. He is now known for his complete lack of hair, eyebrows, and eyelashes, and has incorporated this into his career, often being typecast as a television villain.
That's so awesome! But I don't think I've seen him in anything else...now I will start looking.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Re: my comment above about Rip Torn and Fuches:

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:19 pm Henry Winkler, as always, is amazing. I might have to nominate him for "national treasure" status. America needs a UK version of knighting.
That's Henry Winkler, Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:54 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:42 pm
That's so awesome! But I don't think I've seen him in anything else...now I will start looking.
He was Victor Zsasz in Gotham, The Mist in the Flash on CW and he was in Bill and Ted Face the Music. He's one of those character actors you call when you want someone who can be scary, funny, serious, or whatever. He really is a fantastic actor. Up there with Garrett Dillahunt, in my opinion.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

There are so many damn hilarious lines in this, I might have to re-watch this whole thing with my wife. Just chock full of SUPER tight lines.

Just today: Fuches to Hank: "HAVE YOU EVER BEEN CALLED BOO HOO THE FOOL BEFORE?
Hank: uhhh, no, I don't think so?

Fell into a bit of an internet wormhole, and found this! What the hell?!?!

"Boo Boo The Fool is a reference to the character Boo-Boo Bear from the television series Yogi Bear. It became a popular term in black communities as slang for "idiot" or "stupid person" before becoming the target of image macros in the mid-2010s."

Also, I have to praise the AMAZING sound design on this show. They use the rear left and right, and far field panning to an extent which I very rarely hear. And maybe never in whatever we call this thing...dramedy?

And the emotional rollercoaster whiplashes the viewer back and forth so much between hilarious lines and then straight off the cliff into some serious psychotic, scary violence, then right back laughing again, I feel like I'm getting a psyche workout. Thank the gods that these episodes are short! Not sure I could handle too much Barry at once.

Final thing...the space that the creators or whoever designed into this series is just amazing...someone mentioned the Coen brothers upthread...absolutely! They aren't afraid to let uncomfortable silence, or simply nothing happening...happen...for a looong time, and it works! It's so rare these days that it really stands out (but not in an obvious way...it's very organic I think).

Just a fucking amazing show, and it keeps getting better. I sure hope the final season lives up to what they have been building so far, wow.

I also can't wait to see what else Bill Hader is capable of creating next, if this is his first effort! Damn.

Edit: just finished it...wow.
Spoiler:
I kept expecting the "kansas" part to be part of someone's dream of the future, but nay! I ketp thinking "wow, this is a REALLY specific, detailed dream, and even has multiple plot lines...but I can't wait until we get back to the real show!" Not sure how I feel about that turn, but then again, how else could you end it?
Some Big Event had to happen, and that seemed as logical as any other. Him getting away with serial killing forever probably would have gotten boring/too unrealistic at some point, but I can't say I wasn't a BIT put off, kinda hoping for more of what we got in the previous episodes, because it was so damn good. But good for them for bringing things to a close before even a WHIFF of "boring!" was present...that's hard to do these days, apparently, based on so many shows out there currently (even good ones are guilty of this, maybe especially the good ones).

But Barry's end could not have been more anti-climatic "oh. wow." [thunk] Come on, we didn't deserve a BIT more flair than that?! :D SOMEthing, anything beyond just "wow". :D

Not only could NoHo Hank EASILY get a great spinoff from this, I think the Gene Cousineau prequel might be great as well.

I completely missed the fact that Sally gave her kid vodka to make him sleep...I guess I had sipped a little too much myself when watching, bc I completely missed that in the show, and kept wondering if he was narcoleptic or something. :D