Cobra Kai

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Octavious

Cobra Kai

Post by Octavious »

This comes out today on youtube. The reviews have been really good and I'm super excited to watch it tonight. This was championed by my HS classmates who also did the White Castle movies. They have been slamming FB with all the stuff they are doing to promote the movie which is really cool. Neat little inside view to the process.

Anyway the first 2 episodes are free and then you can sub to their subscription for a trial period. I have to watch it as I'm a huge fan of the series and of my classmates. So bizarre to see them hanging out with the Karate Kid cast. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Re: Cobra Kai

Post by hepcat »

I keep thinking the main character is Vince Van Patten. Then I wonder if I've gone back in time.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The first episode was terrific.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The second one is even better. Holy shit this is REALLY good. The kids they got are great actors and the 80's riffs are on point. I sent the one writer a message that he had me at Iron Eagle. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Watched the first episode with my teen boys. We all enjoyed it a lot. They haven't watched the movie in a very long time so they were a little lost. Overall, I think the first ep was fantastic and hit the nostalgia button perfectly. We have youtube music so watching the rest is a given for us.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For some reason I thought this was going to be a theater release. Nice its on YT instead. Will have to try and watch sometime.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

!

That was awesome!

I can't believe how easily they made me want Johnny to kick the crap out of Larusso.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:48 am For some reason I thought this was going to be a theater release. Nice its on YT instead. Will have to try and watch sometime.
You have to pay to watch more than the first couple of episodes.
Hodor.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Redfive wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:58 am !

That was awesome!

I can't believe how easily they made me want Johnny to kick the crap out of Larusso.
The original movie did that easily enough.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

pr0ner wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:41 am
Daehawk wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:48 am For some reason I thought this was going to be a theater release. Nice its on YT instead. Will have to try and watch sometime.
You have to pay to watch more than the first couple of episodes.
You can signup for a free 30 day trial. Which should be plenty of time to watch it. :horse:

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I watched the first 4 minutes so far, and I couldn't be happier that this exists.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well crap, I'm going to have to watch it now, aren't I? :D
Covfefe!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We only have 3 episodes left and it continues to be good. It's very obvious they they are planning on trying to have a long run with this. 90% of this is all setup to get the story going. Considering the reviews I'm guess they will get signed up for a new season pretty quick.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh and hawk may be my favorite character in the show. I hope they use him more. :lol:

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ok. Someone help me.

I’ve watch episodes 1 & 2 for free.

I’m on board being sympathetic to Johnny (leaning more towards pity, but it’s cool. I don’t have it out for him)

Danny is great.
Love seeing the view on his happy-path life after Karate Kid.

Watched the free Episodes 1&2

Have always rolled my eyes at YouTube Red

When one speaks of: “I can’t believe that I’m now wishing Danny gets his ass kicked back Johnny” - Is this opinion born after episode 2?

Cause, so far, I don’t find Danielson to be all that antagonistic of a character.

Help me make the plunge here. Someone.
Last edited by Unagi on Fri May 04, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Unagi wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:20 pm Ok. Someone help me.

I’ve watch episodes 1 & 2 for free.

I’m on board being sympathetic to Johnny (leaning more towards pittt, but it’s cool. I don’t have it out for him)

Danny is great.
Love seeing the view on his happy-path life after Karate Kid.

Watched the free Episodes 1&2

Have always rolled my eyes at YouTube Red

When one speaks of: “I can’t believe that I’m now wishing Danny gets his ass kicked back Johnny” - Is this opinion born after episode 2?

Cause, so far, I don’t find Danielson to be all that antagonistic of a character.

Help me make the plunge here. Someone.
Danielson is not supposed to be a full on jackass. He's supposed to be somewhat sympathetic but still someone that you know is wrong. The main advantages of YT Red is no commercials. Most of their content is done by popular youtubers and is, IMO, for people that are younger (early 20s at most). That said, I really enjoy the ad-free youtube for other things. I have google music and YT red is included. If you have cable, youtube tv also (I think) includes YT Red.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

This could have been better (the title is awesome), but a good place to leave it (heard about it on the Dan Patrick Show as they were interviewing Macchio about this show).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:56 pmDanielson is not supposed to be a full on jackass. He's supposed to be somewhat sympathetic but still someone that you know is wrong. The main advantages of YT Red is no commercials. Most of their content is done by popular youtubers and is, IMO, for people that are younger (early 20s at most). That said, I really enjoy the ad-free youtube for other things. I have google music and YT red is included. If you have cable, youtube tv also (I think) includes YT Red.
OK. So far he seems like he's just a good guy following what he feels to be true (@ free episode 2)

re: YT Red... that't just it... Personally I've coninced myself to get through 5 second add lead-ups, or even the occasonally 'after ad has played' rules. Certainly doesn't seem worth a monthly subscription to bipass that (am I missing something?)
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Nah I'm unsubbing as I already finished the 10 episodes and have no other use for it. It was very good and we blasted through all 10 episodes which I never do. I'm sure there will be a season two as this has been very well received from what I have seen. :horse:

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I get that most of us are right in the wheelhouse for this show but I love it. 5 episodes in and will stop for the night but I'm sure I'll finish this weekend.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Awesome--glad to hear that this is good. I think I'll do a re-watch of the movies and then jump in.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Redfive wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 3:44 am I get that most of us are right in the wheelhouse for this show but I love it. 5 episodes in and will stop for the night but I'm sure I'll finish this weekend.
Juts finished episode 6 and I am floored by how much I am digging this. I had no idea what I was getting into. I figured it would be more of a prody but it's hitting on so many different levels. The throwbacks to the first, the role reversals going on, the acting (very surprised here, everyone is good to excellent)etc. It's like they took the original movie and put it in a blender for 25 years :). You can really tell how much love Ralp Machio poured into this. So glad it got made, can't wait to finish this season and see the next.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

If you watch the interviews you can tell that Macchio and Zabka are in heaven with this whole project. Neither one of them had anything major going on and this could very carry on for 3-4 seasons. We blasted through the whole season in like 2-3 days. They technically haven't ordered a second season, but considering everything I can't see how that won't happen. Especially how they end the season. :wub:

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Watched the first two free episodes and really liked it as well. Enough I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade my wife's Youtube account or mine to Red. :P

I really enjoyed the role reversals, nods to the original movie, and acting among other things, far more so that I would have expected. Ralph Machio is great. It's always been sad that he never really made it big after Karate Kid.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Octavious wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:51 pm If you watch the interviews you can tell that Macchio and Zabka are in heaven with this whole project. Neither one of them had anything major going on and this could very carry on for 3-4 seasons. We blasted through the whole season in like 2-3 days. They technically haven't ordered a second season, but considering everything I can't see how that won't happen. Especially how they end the season. :wub:
Their enthusiasm shows. I love how the parallels between the characters and the actors both being obsessed and/or stuck in the past. The original was the highwater mark for both of their careers and neither has done anything of worth since. It is both the most important and worst thing to happen to their careers and fictional characters lives. It's just brilliantly made in this regard.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Signed for season 2. Surprising nobody. :)

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Octavious wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:10 pm Signed for season 2. Surprising nobody. :)
In!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So thanks to the hype, I've started watching it.

I went in expecting a thin script aimed at arousing nostalgia first and foremost. Filled with actors who probably shouldn't have returned to the craft.

What I got was a clever little twist on the underdog movies of the 80s and a fantastic performance by everyone...but especially from William Zabka who I thought would be the weak link. Something I was even more sure of after seeing that he once was featured in a movie titled Shootfighter.

I love that the twist isn't that Johnny switches roles and becomes a new Mr. Miyagi for the kids he takes under his wing, but that he's still incredibly flawed and borderline cruel at times. He doesn't start training his students using the power of peace...he wants them to be bad asses through and through.

And I also appreciate that once they committed to that, they didn't take the easy route and turn Daniel-san into the bastard of the series. One high on himself and living off his past glories.

Now that I think of it, beyond some dumb school kids who exist solely for the purpose of letting Johnny's students have an enemy to fight, there are no protagonists for the main characters. There are no bad guys. Just folks who need to grow up a bit.

I'm really pleasantly surprised at how damn good this show is. I hope at the very least that Zabka gets a Travolta style come back from this.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's particularly impressive when you consider how many ways it could have gone wrong. In multiple parallel universes, this would have been a slightly-amusing-at-first but ultimately irritating Funny or Die sketch stretched to feature length.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I watched the first two free episodes and am impressed.

I once saw a Youtube video where they edited The Karate Kid to make Daniel look like some weirdo stalker who is always stirring up crap. It was a fun twist, but Daniel was a little odd and he did keep the feud going by spraying the hose on the guy. Remember when he started talking shit once the Cobra Kai were ordered to stay away by their sensei?

In this show it was laid on a little thick when Johnny was talking to Daniel in the car dealership and Daniel's employees were asking if this was the guy whose ass he kicked. I doubt they would say that in front of the guy, but I can totally see Daniel telling them that story as though he kicked Johnny's ass.

Johnny was an entitled bully in high school. That was 35 years ago though. He might not be a guy you want to mess with, but that doesn't mean he's a bad guy. I really like that angle.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

dup-post

see below....
Last edited by Unagi on Wed May 30, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

McNutt wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:13 pm I watched the first two free episodes and am impressed.

I once saw a Youtube video where they edited The Karate Kid to make Daniel look like some weirdo stalker who is always stirring up crap. It was a fun twist, but Daniel was a little odd and he did keep the feud going by spraying the hose on the guy. Remember when he started talking shit once the Cobra Kai were ordered to stay away by their sensei?

In this show it was laid on a little thick when Johnny was talking to Daniel in the car dealership and Daniel's employees were asking if this was the guy whose ass he kicked. I doubt they would say that in front of the guy, but I can totally see Daniel telling them that story as though he kicked Johnny's ass.

Johnny was an entitled bully in high school. That was 35 years ago though. He might not be a guy you want to mess with, but that doesn't mean he's a bad guy. I really like that angle.
Me too, but I could not get enough feed back from folks here what direction in took. All I ever read was things like, well what you read in all the posts below. After 2 episodes, what's the angle. It's actually pretty ambiguous, and I've not heard a thing to take it from there.

Neither is "the villian".
No "wrong" from the previous story has been "righted".

And - to that - I'm all over a story that tries to tell both stories, but I can't say this story is trying to tell that story either.

So, where am I. Where is this story. I'm on board - but frankly, I've not been driven by anyones testimony. It's like NO ONE here has an opnion on this over "wow, how cool they brought back Daniel Son in a new light"

I seriosly want to get into this but can't. I WANT!!!!

SOMEONE HELP
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

McNutt wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:13 pm I watched the first two free episodes and am impressed.
Same, but only modestly - cause it was clear after 2 episode -- nothing to bight on (aside from the VERY easy concept that the Once Bad Guy was also a kid)
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Unagi wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:13 pm

Me too, but I could not get enough feed back from folks here what direction in took. All I ever read was things like, well what you read in all the posts below. After 2 episodes, what's the angle. It's actually pretty ambiguous, and I've not heard a thing to take it from there.

And - to that - I'm all over a story that tries to tell both stories, but I can't say this story is trying to tell that story either.

So, where am I. Where is this story. I'm on board - but frankly, I've not been driven by anyones testimony. It's like NO ONE here has an opnion on this over "wow, how cool they brought back Daniel Son in a new light"

SOMEONE HELP
No one can make you want to watch it. It's a good show that is well told. From each person's perspective (Johnny and Daniel) they are both right and the other is the one who is wrong. Both are presented as good but flawed people trying to connect with their kids. The kids are portrayed as good, but flawed kids, trying to connect with someone. The acting is good. The story is good. It's not a great show. It doesn't have the production value of a Marvel Netflix show.

I think the highest praise I can give it is that even if you remove the nostalgia of the original movies, it's an excellent show to watch. My 14 and 13 year olds loved it and they've only seen the Jackie Chan version (and he barely remembers that).

Just watch the rest. It's well worth it.
morlac

Post by morlac »

YellowKing wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:51 pm It's particularly impressive when you consider how many ways it could have gone wrong. In multiple parallel universes, this would have been a slightly-amusing-at-first but ultimately irritating Funny or Die sketch stretched to feature length.
That is exactly what I was expecting and I was totally wrong. I have now watched the whole thing a second time with my wife. She is 6 years younger than me and can't quote the original movie so I had to explain some of the callbacks and parallels going on but she loved it.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Unagi wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:13 pm

SOMEONE HELP

I'm pretty sure nobody wants to spoiler anything. If the love in this thread isn't enough to make you watch it then, meh. There are lot's of shades of gray. The characters, while the same as in the movie are actually showing way more depth in this series. They feel real and it is written and acted very well. There is no real ending, it's sort of a character arc but doesn't end the way you think or expect and leaves on a big cliffhanger. This story is not done being told by a long shot. It is not all Sunshine and lollipops and everyone lived happily ever after. It's the opposite of the movie ending, sort of the same but totally different ;). I fail to see why this is a bad thing and am puzzled by your hesitation to watch.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I watched the entire first season. My best insight is that this is not black and white but actually much more like a modern Rashomon . At different times in almost every episode I found myself sympathizing with both LaRusso and Johnny but also then something would happen and I thought differently.....to me that is a good story. I also like how not black and white it is about the "transformation" of the wimps and geeks.

Still hard to believe they portray karate practice and tournaments with minors that use no protective gear

If only they could get Elisabeth Shue back into it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unagi wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:13 pm So, where am I. Where is this story. I'm on board - but frankly, I've not been driven by anyones testimony. It's like NO ONE here has an opnion on this over "wow, how cool they brought back Daniel Son in a new light"

SOMEONE HELP
I outlined my take on the story in my post. If you're only seeing "how cool they brought back Daniel Son in a new light" in what I wrote, I can't help you, Kirk.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I didn't give it a close enough read (and now have). Thanks everyone for their input here.

I'll be watching it. I did sorta almost want to see a 'reversal' of the story when I first heard of this, but I can see the value in this being almost more of a 'realer' version (no good guy, no bad guy - just flawed people trying to better something).
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm not even sure (re-reading my plea) what I wanted anyone else to say... /shame

Frankly, I think I'm just being enormously cheap on this 'YouTube Red' thing and trying to come up with excuses.