Cobra Kai

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Re: Cobra Kai

Post by McNutt »

Kobra Kai was created for the generation that grew up with the Karate Kid, so it's going to have more adult themes.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rated TV-14
This contains pretty consistent use of a wide variety of profanity and inuendos. If you enjoyed the Karate Kid series and the relatively wholesome aspect, the Cobra Kai series is a big departure from that on all fronts.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

naednek wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:56 am kids and finished all of the karate kid movies and was planning on watching Cobra Kai.

not 10 minutes in we got plenty of shits, and bitches and said, nope turn it off.

Thanks for ruining a family friendly film. The kids will have to wait.
i watched the first episode last night, and was pretty surprised by the amount of cursing in it. There was even an f-bomb in there, albeit in Spanish.

Wasn't planning on watching with the kids so it didn't bother me, was just a bit unexpected.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, I just watched both seasons, a season a day for the last two days. I needed a mental break, and this was the right show at the right time. They did such a great job calling back to the original while updating the themes. I'm genuinely sad that I finished it. I can't wait for season 2.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

William Zabka is the standout in this show. I'm still convinced of that. His acting makes his character work in many situations a lesser thespian would've lost the audience.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:54 pm William Zabka is the standout in this show. I'm still convinced of that. His acting makes his character work in many situations a lesser thespian would've lost the audience.
There was a lot of good casting in this show. I really liked that actor that played Eli/Hawk. At the same time, I was occasionally distracted by Robby's ears. I've never seen an actor emote with their ears before, but he somehow managed it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

*cough cough*

Wake up!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Loving season 3 so far. They’re doing a good job
Spoiler:
of humanizing Kreese this season. Although I wish they’d brought him in last season with a little less snidely whiplash. This show works best when it plays in the grey areas, and falters when it dabbles in absolutes.
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We already blew through the entire season. By far the best season IMHO.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
naednek

Post by naednek »

15 minutes in...

See, Dodger fans are jerks! (sorry Lorini :P)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My wife will only watch one episode a night and we started a day late so we are only 2 episodes in but I am enjoying it and I agree with hep's spoiler.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Season 3, episode 6 is Zabka (Johnny) firing on all comedic cylinders. I laughed out loud at the inappropriate
Spoiler:
“Don’t move. Hehe, I said don’t move.”

Oh, and the whole discussion about greasing him up for some current photos for Facebook.
He really is the best thing about this show. I don’t think the show would’ve worked without him.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:26 pm Season 3, episode 6 is Zabka (Johnny) firing on all comedic cylinders. I laughed out loud at the inappropriate
Spoiler:
“Don’t move. Hehe, I said don’t move.”

Oh, and the whole discussion about greasing him up for some current photos for Facebook.
He really is the best thing about this show. I don’t think the show would’ve worked without him.
I laughed at both of those bits.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

There's no show without him. Hell I think he's more important than Daniel. Certainly more interesting.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I also loved that the cheesecake photos he wanted to post on Facebook were most likely all stuff from when he really was a teen idol back in the eighties, by the way. :lol:
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Octavious wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:56 pm There's no show without him. Hell I think he's more important than Daniel. Certainly more interesting.
But without Daniel we wouldn't have... uhhh... the... uhhh... Mr. Miyagi flashbacks, yeah that's it!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Also, let's not forget that Daniel-san has a male child that they only allow out once or twice a month apparently. They feed him some candy and let him say something to his sister, then it's back into the cage. I think the kids' first name is Veal.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:30 pm
Octavious wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:56 pm There's no show without him. Hell I think he's more important than Daniel. Certainly more interesting.
But without Daniel we wouldn't have... uhhh... the... uhhh... Mr. Miyagi flashbacks, yeah that's it!
I’ve tried starting this show a couple times now. My only takeaway is that these are a couple of dudes who really can’t get past what happened to them in high school.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Well yeah, the whole premise of the show is kind of ridiculous. That doesn't mean it isn't also kind of fun.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's the entire point of the show, basically. It's about people (well, two mostly) who should have grown up, but haven't in many ways. And it's resulting in their children falling into the same traps as they did in some cases.

What most of us love about it is that there are no good or bad guys. Everyone is the product of something in their past that formed their beliefs and informs their actions. You don't root for anyone, you root for everyone eventually. You want them to get past their problems and become better people.
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:58 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:30 pm
I’ve tried starting this show a couple times now. My only takeaway is that these are a couple of dudes who really can’t get past what happened to them in high school.
If you buy that what happened to them in high school pretty much defined the rest of their lives to this point, it makes some sense. Works for me since I've only seen them while they were in high school and now.

My only real problem is the insanely high esteem the All Valley Karate Tournament had, and continues to have. Although the latest winner hasn't got his car dealership yet so maybe it's fading.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Just finished season 3. Damn those writing geniuses. They know exactly what I want to see. Everything about that season was perfect. I hate fan service, but this is one where they get it just right. Comme ts about Daniel being the real bully and making sure they don't go light on the pasta sauce we're great.

How can a show this incredibly dumb be so good?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm 3 episodes from finish. I've been savoring them as I know it won't be for a while until I get more. :(
He won. Period.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

McNutt wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:35 pm Just finished season 3. Damn those writing geniuses. They know exactly what I want to see. Everything about that season was perfect. I hate fan service, but this is one where they get it just right. Comme ts about Daniel being the real bully and making sure they don't go light on the pasta sauce we're great.

How can a show this incredibly dumb be so good?
That last sentence sums this entire series up for me. It's so cheesy, and the grand fight scenes at the end of each season are ridiculous and over the top, but dammit if I don't log back in to watch the next episode.

So many references that will go over the heads of people that haven't seen them. It's almost in every scene, and yet doesn't come across as "fan service" like you said, but by definition is EXACTLY what it is. And it makes me happy.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't think there's TOO much that folks who haven't seen the original movies wouldn't get. They use flashbacks a lot on this show to fill in the blanks that call backs might cause.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And finished it. Good lord this show can be cheesy...but I’ll be damned if they don’t turn that into a strength. :wub:

Now I have to wait another year to see more. :cry:
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The cheesiness almost fits. It's the same cheesiness that the original films were packed with. The fact that they were able to recreate that feel while still telling such a great, entertaining story is phenomenal.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Watched the new season and also loved it.

It does almost feel like I'm getting whiplash watching the show sometimes though... I roll my eyes at some line of dialog or the melodrama, but then they either throw in an interesting twist or acknowledge how silly it all is and it just... works.
Spoiler:
The beats felt a little predictable at times, but I loved all the tie ins to Karate Kid 2 this season.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also, this show has a unique ability to make me feel old.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:29 am Also, this show has a unique ability to make me feel old.
Macchio and Zabka are both a good bit older than I would have thought. I find it unlikely I will look Daniel-san good in another decade.

Possibly because I don't look that good now...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sheesh, I just looked it up and Macchio is 4 years older than Zabka. That guy must have a portrait somewhere that's getting older by the day, because he sure isn't.
He won. Period.
JCC

Post by JCC »

LttP but been watching this on Netflix. Just finished season 2. A fantastic show that I like much more than young me liked the Karate Kid (which of course I liked quite a bit back in the day).

I'll kick off season 3 tomorrow.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

All 3 seasons are really good, but I find the big fight scenes, ie the two big ones, 1 at the school in the 2nd season and then at the house in the 3rd, to be way way over the top to the point that it actually takes me out of it for how brutal they are without much consequence. Some of the kids seem to be getting away with too much and are always in each other's faces. We've often had to take breathers from this show because of how confrontational it is at times.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Brutal, in your face violence? In America we call that Tuesday!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I know what you mean. The over the top bullying kind of wears you down. And the big fights do make you wonder if there as an adult within two square miles.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

McNutt wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:52 am I know what you mean. The over the top bullying kind of wears you down. And the big fights do make you wonder if there as an adult within two square miles.
Yeah, they do. I mean, I like the fights in general in small doses, but I feel the show is better at character development. When it comes to the big confrontations, I feel they let them get out of hand. It's a bit much seeing so many kids go at it again and again, without recourse. It's like the fighting happens in a vacuum. Where are the authority figures? I know they had a few security guards during the school fight, but it's like they just stood back and let the kids go at it. Teachers I can understand being overwhelmed, but come on, no security jumping in?? And the school board meeting afterwards, I felt they didn't do nearly enough, and I felt like they only had themselves to blame for letting it get so out of hand. I think it sends the wrong message.

And then you have the house fight in Season 3, and I felt, come on, give Miguel a break. He's just recovered from a serious injury and have him involved in another serious beatdown. That one left me feeling incredulous. Did NO ONE learn their lessons?? The writers seem to want to up the ante at every turn, but come on, they're only kids. I don't think Daniel suffered quite as much at the hands of Johnny as the kids do in this series.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, after all these years, it looks like I finally need to watch Karate Kid 3. And apparently the 4th one (Next Karate Kid?) is also considered canon to Cobra Kai.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I really need to watch 3 as well, as I will have no clue as to the references. The last time I saw 3 was in the theater, if that tells you anything.

My dream is to get my kids to watch them all and then sit down with me as I re-watch all of Cobra Kai, but that's probably unrealistic. They're totally into Terminator and sci-fi stuff right now, and asking them to watch a movie trilogy about a kid learning karate is going to be a tough sell. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Two episodes in and enjoying the new season so far. Zabka still cracks me up.

“Where the hell were you?”

<shrugs> “No be there.”
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Just wrapping up this season and it was bonkers. The return of Terry Silver and his mugging made me wish that either he was in Expanse's universe or vice versa so that we could have a face off with Marcos Inaros for a ham off.