Immigration Policy

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Immigration Policy

Post by malchior »

After the Supreme Court decision to lift the injunction against the Border Patrol, the politics around this cut in. The Border Patrol has not removed any wire and has passively stood by as Texas builds more barricades. It says it will remove barricades or wire for life saving measures if it needs to.

It appears they are deciding not to do anything. Maybe because of Senate negotiations but more so almost certainly because the administration doesn't want more eyes on this. They want it out of the headlines. Unfortunately, the Biden administration has ignored the issue for far too long and the Republicans have turned this optically and somewhat functionally now into a substantial failure by the administration. This is after months of Republicans putting a total press on the issue without any substantial push back or defense by the Biden administration.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm probably going off the deep end here, but if Texas is claiming "states rights" to defend against invasion, what is going to happen then when snipers in Mexico start taking shots at TX National Guard troops that are 'securing the Texas border'?

Because honestly it feels like this ends in gunfire - either Mexico shooting at Texans or Texans shooting at federal agents. Maybe both.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hey, look who still influences sitting Senators:
Donald Trump on Wednesday privately pressured Senate Republicans to “kill” a bipartisan deal to secure the U.S. border because he doesn’t want President Joe Biden to chalk up a win ahead of the 2024 presidential election, according to a source familiar with the tenuous negotiations on the package.

Trump directly reached out to several GOP senators on Wednesday to tell them to reject any deal, said this source, who requested anonymity to speak freely. The GOP presidential frontrunner also personally reached out to some Senate Republicans over the weekend, the source told HuffPost.

“Trump wants them to kill it because he doesn’t want Biden to have a victory,” said the source. “He told them he will fix the border when he is president… He said he only wants the perfect deal.”
I don't understand how he has this amount of power...still.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:55 pm Hey, look who still influences sitting Senators:
Donald Trump on Wednesday privately pressured Senate Republicans to “kill” a bipartisan deal to secure the U.S. border because he doesn’t want President Joe Biden to chalk up a win ahead of the 2024 presidential election, according to a source familiar with the tenuous negotiations on the package.

Trump directly reached out to several GOP senators on Wednesday to tell them to reject any deal, said this source, who requested anonymity to speak freely. The GOP presidential frontrunner also personally reached out to some Senate Republicans over the weekend, the source told HuffPost.

“Trump wants them to kill it because he doesn’t want Biden to have a victory,” said the source. “He told them he will fix the border when he is president… He said he only wants the perfect deal.”
Trump is the true president. He has been appointed by the media.

Right now Biden could order the military to shoot illegals on sight and deport everyone who isn’t “American”. The Magaites will still block it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

More like shadow president. He controls one party from the sidelines, and their tiny majority in one house is dedicated to fucking things up royally. Anything that benefits America also benefits Biden this year, so nothing must benefit America.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:22 pm Trump is the true president. He has been appointed by the media.
From my bubble, this is true. OtOH, they anointed HRC as well, so... fight the good fight...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Scalise aide to Senate GOP: Border deal is dead on arrival in House
A senior aide to House Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.) told a group of Senate Republican chiefs of staff Thursday that a border security deal that is being put together with Democrats in the Senate has no chance of passing the House, underscoring what is becoming more and more apparent to GOP senators.

Scalise’s chief of staff, Brett Horton, emphasized that if the Senate bill includes some of the details that have leaked to the public, such as expedited work permits or enhanced expulsion authority that would only kick in after migrant border crossings exceed 5,000 people a day, it won’t have any chance of passing the House.
The bleak prospects for a Ukraine and border security package in the House are not changing the strategy of Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), who plan to move forward with the Senate bill.

Republican senators said McConnell told them at a lunch meeting Thursday that he favors moving forward with a bill that combines Ukraine funding and border security reforms — two issues that Republican lawmakers have demanded for months be paired together.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:55 pm
Even if Trump loses in 2024, there's going to be a strong portion of the Republican base that is going to listen to what he pushes, unless he completely goes off the deep end. None of these Senators (and definitely not anyone in the House) want a Trump-wing challenger in a primary, whether it be this year or in two years or four. Those that are retiring like McConnell and Romney are immune to this pressure, but they have to work with the hand that they're dealt.

I would also bet, although I lack data to back it up, that none of them want to put together a deal, have it go through despite Trump opposition, and then deal with the increased number of threats from angry Trump supporters directed at them or their families.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Trump calls on states to support Texas on the border through the deployment of their own National Guard troops.
Former President Trump encouraged “all willing States” to deploy National Guard members to Texas amid the feud between Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) and the federal government over the removal of razor wire across the U.S.-Mexico border.
I'm curious -- do you guys think there's any strategy for this escalation at all? Is is just the result of border frustrations? Is it a strategy to legitimize ignoring the Supreme Court in the future? Is it an honest-to-God attempt to provoke a Constitutional crisis or force a secession moment? I would have thought the last question was ridiculous, but I don't see the political benefit in saying "Biden won't defend the border" but "we won't pass any legislation to address the crisis." At this point, Republican governors who back this but then back down in the face of a future Supreme Court order are only going to lose face with the conservative elements within the party. Is this all to say that Trump is the only man who can control the border so we have to elect him in November?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:55 pm Hey, look who still influences sitting Senators:

With regard to Immigration, one must remember that just about the entire GOP is opposed to actually doing anything but hypocritically bitching about it for power and profit. All they do is kill efforts to solve immigration and then blame Dems for it.

Hell, Steve Bannon is taking the 5th again to prevent his border wall fraud from biting him again despite his pardon...
Steve Bannon is in a maelstrom of his own making.

After failing to pay his lawyer nearly half a million dollars, he’s now clambering to halt a review of his personal finances—a situation that’s forcing him to admit something quite embarrassing: that there might be evidence of his border wall fraud scheme in his bank documents.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
waitingtoconnect

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... eal-senate

President Biden says he'll shut the border if given the funding and authorisation to do so. Republicans led by Trump who is also president in all but name still say no. Media still blames Biden even though he is clearly a lame duck and clearly too old for the job.

Personally I think the media, even MSNBC, and billionaires have decided Trump really won in 2020 and Biden isn't in charge because he is so weak. Trump not Biden is clearly running most of the country.

The weakness of our system is so apparent; I can't see myself voting for Biden right now over Trump - so I just won't vote; Biden is too weak and too old on important issues and I refuse to participate in an election where we are all just turkeys voting between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Biden needs to step out of the way and give us someone like Newsome who I would vote for, even as a (former) conservative.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

waitingtoconnect, people sitting out the election because they don't like either candidate is how 2016 happened. Just think, of the two leading candidates, which one is more likely to listen to you? Then vote for that person.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah a vote to sit out this election is a vote for Trump. He can't win if people show up in the same numbers as they did in 2020.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:53 pm The weakness of our system is so apparent; I can't see myself voting for Biden right now over Trump - so I just won't vote; Biden is too weak and too old on important issues and I refuse to participate in an election where we are all just turkeys voting between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Biden needs to step out of the way and give us someone like Newsome who I would vote for, even as a (former) conservative.
I'm not going to argue that Biden doesn't have his problems, and I can understand being frustrated with that, especially in an election between people that are 75+. However, I might reframe your vote as this: by voting against Trump, you're voting to preserve the rule of law, the normal order of government, and our constitutional republic as we've known it, at least for the past several decades. If some of this sounds like hyperbole, I encourage you to look up Trump speeches and comments about his plans and how he see things, including Presidential immunity (some of which are posted in R&P) as well as Project 2025.

Edit: It's weird for me to frame things this way, as I'd like to believe no one person is that much a threat to our 200+ year system of government, and I could very well be captured by the political discussions on here, on Twitter, and in real life. So I honestly encourage you to do your own research on these things to see if I'm framing correctly.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:53 pm https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... eal-senate

President Biden says he'll shut the border if given the funding and authorisation to do so. Republicans led by Trump who is also president in all but name still say no. Media still blames Biden even though he is clearly a lame duck and clearly too old for the job.

Personally I think the media, even MSNBC, and billionaires have decided Trump really won in 2020 and Biden isn't in charge because he is so weak. Trump not Biden is clearly running most of the country.

The weakness of our system is so apparent; I can't see myself voting for Biden right now over Trump - so I just won't vote; Biden is too weak and too old on important issues and I refuse to participate in an election where we are all just turkeys voting between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

That's great and all, but if Biden doesn't step out of the way; you need to vote for Biden simply so that you will ever have a chance to better this world by way of democracy going forward.
From your previous posts, I thought that was pretty clear to you. So this is a little alarming, tbh.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:57 am From your previous posts, I thought that was pretty clear to you. So this is a little alarming, tbh.
+1
waitingtoconnect

Unagi wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:57 am
waitingtoconnect wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:53 pm https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... eal-senate

That's great and all, but if Biden doesn't step out of the way; you need to vote for Biden simply so that you will ever have a chance to better this world by way of democracy going forward.
From your previous posts, I thought that was pretty clear to you. So this is a little alarming, tbh.
I guess I’m frustrated with the current situation. Biden keeps dropping the ball - and I hate that in general I will only have one (in)effective choice. Seeing Michelle Obama and Gavin Newsome speak in recent days has shown me we need new leadership at the federal level (from both parties).

I would never vote for Trump (he is a traitor, he is too old, he has no morales and he only wants to be president for his benefit) and I’ve not seen a single Republican candidate I liked enough to vote for.

But I like to vote for the best candidate and I always look at the Vp in case the worst happens. I voted Biden in 2020 because he was clearly the best man for the job and I thought Harris was capable. But time has proven he isn’t decisive enough, he hasn’t gone after the traitors hard enough and she isn’t up to it. Her strength in the candidate debates has evaporated in interviews recently such that even late night tv has mocked her (and they only mock trump). Given Bidens age a vote for him is a vote for her.

(Barrack) Obama was far more effective than Biden even though I didn’t vote for him in 2012 because I liked Romney better. I voted for Obama in 2008 even though I prefer McCain but I viewed him as too old and Palin was a disaster waiting to happen and a harbinger of Trump. I voted for Clinton in 2016. I had to hold my nose to do to though - the only time I have. Can I do it again in 2024? Yes but it’s getting harder.

The border is a disaster. And Biden can act but won’t with the powers that he has because he wants a deal on Ukraine and Israel as well. He needs to act now regardless.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:54 pm I voted Biden in 2020 because he was clearly the best man for the job...
The best man for the job <out of your options>. And he will be again.
While we can talk about how that should change, etc. - it's a totally separate conversation from: "Who should I vote for in 2024 with absolute passion and convince my neighbors and family to do so as well? --> Biden.

Honestly, I would be willing to bet that Harris would make a perfectly run-of-the-mill president, so I'm not remotely worried about that aspect.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I'm in no way a passionate Democrat or supporter of Biden (broadly). He's done some great things, but he's really dropped the ball on quite a few other things, immigration included.

Short of pulling off a skin mask and revealing himself to be a lizard person from Rigel-7, I'm still voting for him - and even if he does that, I probably still would. The vote isn't necessarily implicit approval of Biden or the Democrats but rather a refusal to support (directly or indirectly) anything the GOP is promoting.

We're collectively in a terrible position, but I'm going to choose not-GOP every time until things change, which at the current rate doesn't seem like it will happen in my lifetime. I totally get being unenthused about a Biden vote in 2024. I do not get 3rd party voting or not voting based on what's happening; it will in no way make things better - especially for immigration (and so many other things).
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:22 pmShort of pulling off a skin mask and revealing himself to be a lizard person from Rigel-7, I'm still voting for him - and even if he does that, I probably still would.
I would need to learn more about Rigel-7 before I just changed my vote.
waitingtoconnect

Unagi wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:32 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:22 pmShort of pulling off a skin mask and revealing himself to be a lizard person from Rigel-7, I'm still voting for him - and even if he does that, I probably still would.
I would need to learn more about Rigel-7 before I just changed my vote.
Ah classic Simpsons - election 1996 America flips a coin.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Talking to my old boss today at lunch. All the federal agents they've moved to Eagle Pass are being put up at over $300 a night in hotels there and you still can't a room at that rate... So they're staying Piedras Negras, Mexico.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:22 pm I totally get being unenthused resentful about a Biden vote in 2024.
Even if I'm not currently resentful, I've been in the position before. I was resentful about having to vote for Biden the first time. While's he's not been great. I seem to be the only American who has been pleasantly surprised at how much better he's been vs my expectation for him. But yeah, the list of problems I have with him is not short.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:54 pm
I guess I’m frustrated with the current situation. Biden keeps dropping the ball - and I hate that in general I will only have one (in)effective choice. Seeing Michelle Obama and Gavin Newsome speak in recent days has shown me we need new leadership at the federal level (from both parties).
Michelle Obama has, for some reason, REALLY earned the ire of the conservatives. They don't even bother masking the racism and misogyny that seems to be a large part of that hatred. She's actually a very intelligent woman who I think would make an amazing leader, though. But I doubt she'd be able to break that GOP taboo of being both a woman AND black. It's one or the other for those jackholes.

Newsome I'm not as impressed with as a potential leader. He seems to court divisiveness.
He won. Period.
waitingtoconnect

Michelle Obama, although I am conservative, is someone I would vote for over the sorry sack of candidates that the Republicans have put up. Chris Christie was the only one who talks any sense at all but he is a shadow of the republicans I used to respect and admire like McCain and Eisenhower.

I think that real conservatives vote for the best candidate. Just like in football we have two conferences and the best team wins in the Super Bowl we want our parties to give us two great candidates to pick from so either way we can be happy as Americans with the outcome whether our choice wins or not. Certainly with McCain/Obama, Bush/Clinton, etc we could say this.

The Obamas had zero scandal. No sex scandal, no secret slush funds, no dodgy relatives. The best they could do was conspiracies (eg the birthers).

But In 1961, the year of Barrack Obama's birth, there existed in the American South a system of racial apartheid that separated the races from the cradle to the grave.

Whites-only water fountains. Whites-only schools. Whites-only graveyards.

In some states, his very conception - involving an African father from Kenya and a white mother from Kansas - would have been a criminal offence. A common refrain of the time was I'm not a racist, I'm a segregationist.

At the same time evangelicals were outraged an Irish Catholic was in the wihte house.

Nearly half of all Americans reported attending church once a week at the dawn of 1961. However, by the end of the decade that number had dropped by roughly 10 percent. Polls showed that most Americans still considered religion important, but faith seemed to be declining. “There’s competition from scientific thought and a materialistic culture,” lamented a spokesman for the National Council of Churches, “The church doesn’t enjoy the unique position it used to—and it knows it. There are lots of people who just don’t need religion.” Minister Billy Graham described the decline in starker terms: “America is facing a moral emergency and a moral crisis which threatens the very future of the nation.” Men like Goldwater (1964 election) and Wallace (1968 election) were pre-Trump like pushbacks against the civil rights changes that were essential to our society and prosperity today.

Kennedy's election and the subsequent fall in church attendance they blamed on him mobilised the evangicals to try and take over America in response and for it to be a Christian theocracy. Obama mobilised the racists who want it to be a fascist Christian theocracy. Its tragic, but in a nation that's always prided itself on compromise with the uncompromising (like the Missouri Compromise) if we don't fight these people we'll end up under their thumb.

All that the Maga people seem to have on Michelle Obama is that she is supposedly a man. Tragically like Abraham Lincoln, i believe if she were elected half the country couldn’t cope with it without violence. They barely tolerated her husband.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:16 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:22 pm I totally get being unenthused resentful about a Biden vote in 2024.
Even if I'm not currently resentful, I've been in the position before. I was resentful about having to vote for Biden the first time. While's he's not been great. I seem to be the only American who has been pleasantly surprised at how much better he's been vs my expectation for him. But yeah, the list of problems I have with him is not short.
I think he had a successful first term, getting four major pieces of legislation passed with the slimmest of majorities. The American Rescue Act, the infrastructure bill, the Inflation Reduction Act, and the CHIPS and Science Act were individually impressive; together, they're beyond impressive. Then there's uniting and leading NATO after TFG tried to tank it. The economy's perking along, unemployment is low, wages are rising, inflation is whipped. He greatly exceeded my low expectations. Despite his record unpopularity I think history will look more kindly on him than his contemporaries do (with a huge asterisk regarding the outcome of the wars in Ukraine and the Middle East).

If Biden were at least 10 years younger I'd be a more enthusiastic supporter. But he's not, so I'm grudging.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Not only that, he did it while inheriting 4 years of the wreckage Trump left behind.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Most importantly of all, Biden reversed 40 years of supply side economics. All of the trillions spent in the bills that I mentioned above are in the service of building the demand side ("from the bottom up and from the middle out"), and it's working better than all the GOP's trillions in tax cuts on corporations and the rich ever did. Heather Cox Richardson and Robert Reich repeat this theme frequently, but I rarely see it mentioned anywhere else. Neither Clinton nor Obama seriously challenged supply side orthodoxy; Biden has been transformative. HCR often compares him to FDR.

If TFG worms his way back into office all of that will be reversed. If Biden gets a second term and doesn't lose Congress, it will become entrenched.

But this is the immigration thread and that's one of Biden's weakest points, so I'll stop praising the other things here. On topic...if the Senate compromise can pass, it could improve Biden's standing and take a lot of wind out of TFG's sails. It would count as yet another major legislative achievement. Which is why Gary Johnson is determined to kill it before he's even read it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

"Fuck you, Biden." screams DeSantis from the top of his 6 inch lift cowboy boots.
Gov. Ron DeSantis is sending Florida National Guard and State Guard members to Texas to assist with placing razor wire along the southern border, DeSantis announced Thursday.

The Supreme Court ruled last week that the federal government had the power to remove razor wire and other barriers the Texas government erected at the border, but Texas National Guard continued placing the wire last week.

Florida will send up to 1,000 National Guard members and State Guard volunteers to assist Texas "relatively shortly."
At some point, these soldiers are going to have to ask themselves: who do I serve? DeSantis or the United States of America.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Is this where we're headed in 2024? I can only imagine what Fox will be airing in August:
Fox News host Sean Hannity’s interview with former GOP New York City mayoral candidate Curtis Sliwa took a shocking turn when members of Sliwa’s Guardian Angels group gave — live on air — what Sliwa described as “a little pain compliance” to a person he said was a migrant and who he claimed had been caught shoplifting.

“His mother back in Venezuela felt the vibrations,” Sliwa bragged to Hannity. “He is sucking concrete. The cops scraped him off the asphalt. He’s on his way to jail.”

Sliwa condemned New York Mayor Eric Adams (D), who beat him in the 2021 mayoral race over his prepaid card food program for migrant families when Sliwa’s associates, who had been standing with him, rushed off camera.

“Well, in fact, our guys have just taken down one of the migrant guys right here on the corner of 42nd and 7th while all this has taken place. They’ve taken over,” Sliwa told Hannity.

The camera turned to film the members of the Guardian Angels bringing the unidentified person to the ground. Hannity eventually cut away from the scene but later returned to Sliwa to find out what had gone down.

“Well, he had been shoplifting first,” Sliwa claimed. “The Guardian Angels spotted him, stopped him, he resisted, and let’s just say we gave him a little pain compliance. His mother, back in Venezuela, felt the vibrations. He is sucking concrete. The cops scraped him off the asphalt. He’s on his way to jail.”

Sliwa added, “But they’ll cut him loose. We’ve got to take 42nd Street back, Sean. These illegals think they own this street. They think they rule the night. This is our country. If they can’t abide by the rules, then we’re going to kick them back from where they came.”
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hopefully that person has someone who knows how citizen's arrests actually work.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
waitingtoconnect

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:20 pm "Fuck you, Biden." screams DeSantis from the top of his 6 inch lift cowboy boots.
Gov. Ron DeSantis is sending Florida National Guard and State Guard members to Texas to assist with placing razor wire along the southern border, DeSantis announced Thursday.

The Supreme Court ruled last week that the federal government had the power to remove razor wire and other barriers the Texas government erected at the border, but Texas National Guard continued placing the wire last week.

Florida will send up to 1,000 National Guard members and State Guard volunteers to assist Texas "relatively shortly."
At some point, these soldiers are going to have to ask themselves: who do I serve? DeSantis or the United States of America.
They serve the governor and their state historically but under a 2007 law the president can take control of them without governor approval. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa ... _Year_2007

Basically desantis and Abbott have warned Biden off doing this for them. If he did it would trigger a crisis if the units refused his orders.

This in combination with the patriot act and the insurrection act was the law trump acolytes wanted to use to declare martial law in blue states due to the “crime waves” and “insurrections”happening there.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:04 pm
This in combination with the patriot act and the insurrection act was the law trump acolytes wanted to use to declare martial law in blue states due to the “crime waves” and “insurrections”happening there.
Hah, Mass. is closing a prison because crime is down and the prison population is at its lowest level in 35 years.
Massachusetts has long been a leader in reducing incarceration. The most recent state-level incarceration trends from the Vera Institute show that the rate of incarceration in Massachusetts is 122% lower than the national rate. Reports from the Vera Institute for Justice found that Massachusetts’ incarceration rate is consistently the lowest in the nation, decreasing nearly 5,000 over the past decade, resulting in a record low of nearly 6,000 incarcerated people.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Siding with his conference, McConnell voted against proceeding to the national security package and border bill that he helped craft
The GOP dumpster fire burns white-hot and shows no signs of stopping.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:43 pm
Siding with his conference, McConnell voted against proceeding to the national security package and border bill that he helped craft
The GOP dumpster fire burns white-hot and shows no signs of stopping.
They are going to regret snubbing the concessions that Democrats made (e.g., no citizenship for Dreamers and money for their damned wall), because that was a one-shot deal. And once the trump fever finally breaks they will regret handing Ukraine to Putin, too.

I know only Congress has the power of the purse, but could Biden get around them by supplying Ukraine out of US inventory, maybe like a lend/lease deal?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

(Not so) funny how CNBC doesn't mention this when they mention all the border funding kerfuffle and the funding kerfuffles and the DEI stuff every day. They are also suspiciously quiet about Johnson when they talked about McCarthy every day and with him once a week (and about Pelosi before him but never to her. Hmmmm...) I like my financial news but I really need to find a better source at this point. Business and news can and should go hand in hand but the filter is getting pretty bad.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:18 am Is this where we're headed in 2024? I can only imagine what Fox will be airing in August:
Fox News host Sean Hannity’s interview with former GOP New York City mayoral candidate Curtis Sliwa took a shocking turn when members of Sliwa’s Guardian Angels group gave — live on air — what Sliwa described as “a little pain compliance” to a person he said was a migrant and who he claimed had been caught shoplifting.

“His mother back in Venezuela felt the vibrations,” Sliwa bragged to Hannity. “He is sucking concrete. The cops scraped him off the asphalt. He’s on his way to jail.”

Sliwa condemned New York Mayor Eric Adams (D), who beat him in the 2021 mayoral race over his prepaid card food program for migrant families when Sliwa’s associates, who had been standing with him, rushed off camera.

“Well, in fact, our guys have just taken down one of the migrant guys right here on the corner of 42nd and 7th while all this has taken place. They’ve taken over,” Sliwa told Hannity.

The camera turned to film the members of the Guardian Angels bringing the unidentified person to the ground. Hannity eventually cut away from the scene but later returned to Sliwa to find out what had gone down.

“Well, he had been shoplifting first,” Sliwa claimed. “The Guardian Angels spotted him, stopped him, he resisted, and let’s just say we gave him a little pain compliance. His mother, back in Venezuela, felt the vibrations. He is sucking concrete. The cops scraped him off the asphalt. He’s on his way to jail.”

Sliwa added, “But they’ll cut him loose. We’ve got to take 42nd Street back, Sean. These illegals think they own this street. They think they rule the night. This is our country. If they can’t abide by the rules, then we’re going to kick them back from where they came.”
The guy the GAs attacked is not a migrant, nor has the police said he was shoplifting. So if you're in New York, and you accidentally speak in any language but English while in public, you can expect a beatdown if you see a red hat anywhere nearby (including ones that read MAGA, I'm guessing).
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unless he was doing something we don't know about, he has a good civil case against the GA at the very least, and possibly the grounds for a criminal complaint. You can't just restrain people because you don't like them, or because you assume that they were up to no good. And even if he had been shoplifting, unless the hypothetical victimized storeowner asked them to, they had no right to physically grapple him except under very specific circumstances.

And the fact that they had him surrounded with six or eight people in a militant 'uniforms' adds a whole new dimension.

I'd love to see the GAs charged with some combination of false arrest, false imprisonment, intimidation, and battery. Better yet if Silwa gets a piece of it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

On the other hand, if the ratings were good none of that matters.

J/k of course, but absolutely terrifying that (1) it happened and (2) it was aired as a perfectly reasonable way to address what the GA perceive as problematic.