Atomic Heart

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Atomic Heart

Post by Max Peck »

This does look interesting, but I'm loathe to spend money that goes to a Russian developer for the time being.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:49 pm Oh, shit, yeah!

10.12MB installed.
Really? Is it ASCII? :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I mean, for version 0.0.1.0, it's pretty good.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:14 pm This does look interesting, but I'm loathe to spend money that goes to a Russian developer for the time being.
The developer did relocate to Cyprus after the start of the invasion, but it's unclear whether that is to get away from Russia, or simply to get around the sanctions. I mean, Russian companies headquartered in Cyprus isn't exactly a new thing.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:14 pm
Max Peck wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:14 pm This does look interesting, but I'm loathe to spend money that goes to a Russian developer for the time being.
The developer did relocate to Cyprus after the start of the invasion, but it's unclear whether that is to get away from Russia, or simply to get around the sanctions. I mean, Russian companies headquartered in Cyprus isn't exactly a new thing.
If you look at their website, they claim that the company was founded in Cyprus in 2017, but IIRC when the game was first announced they were clearly based in Moscow. Similarly, Owlcat Games is now a "Cypriot" company (you can see when their Wikipedia article was edited back in May to say they are in Cyprus rather than Russia). I have no idea whether either company actually packed up and left Russia or if they are just using a Cyprus address to avoid the problems involved in operating a business in Russia due to ever-increasing sanctions. If I can't be certain that not one cent of my money will end up in Russian tax coffers, then I won't be purchasing their products.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Which is a shame, as I really wanted to play this - but I agree. I am sure I do things from time to time that enrich Russia, but I can't knowingly spend money knowing that it may indirectly buy a bullet that will end up in a Ukrainian.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:52 pm Which is a shame, as I really wanted to play this - but I agree. I am sure I do things from time to time that enrich Russia, but I can't knowingly spend money knowing that it may indirectly buy a bullet that will end up in Ukrainian.
i'm also inclined to agree. mentioned this elsewhere, but even my Russian language tutors are through preply.com (a Ukrainian compamy) and one is Ukrainian, currently refugee-ing in Switzerland, and the other is usually living in Kazakh (and she's ethnically North Korean, currently in Poland).
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Looks like some previews are starting to drop. This one seems pretty favorable:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This looked great until that video next to last said you have to have a shotgun to knock a robot down and then kill it. So no shotgun you are toast.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
naednek

Post by naednek »

i get the feeling this game is trying to be too much, and it will just drown itself in mediocracy
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:31 pm This looked great until that video next to last said you have to have a shotgun to knock a robot down and then kill it. So no shotgun you are toast.
No, it said you need the shotgun to knock it down, not necessarily to kill it. And you have other options to use to deal with them, such as your powers.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

That's the first gameplay video that made me feel nauseated. I've seen spinning, fast-paced movement before without issue so not sure what the trigger is.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Getting strong Bio Shock vibes with some Half Life mixed in for good measure.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

“Packed with spatial puzzles”

Whelp, I’m out. Those generally break my brain.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

That jumping section in the most recent video looked... not fun lol.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Apparently, it's alternate future Bioshock set in Russia... created by Russians, funded by Russians, and profit going to Russians.

My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Is playing it on Gamepass giving money to Russia? Am I now giving money to Russia even if I don't play it?
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Yeah I don't know if I can get past the whole Russia thing with this game.
FTE
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:27 pm created by Russians, funded by Russians, and profit going to Russians.
gaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh noooooooooooooooooooooooo

(i forgot about that)

i've been looking forward to this one for the past five years or however long it's been. wonder if there's a way to get an answer statement to 'do you support your country's aggression towards Ukraine' from the dev team.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Given the amount of backpedaling and derussifying of the dev's identity, I'd say they'd want to avoid the topic as much as possible.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

https://mundfish.com/about-us/
With the release of the first game and view of utopia of an alternative world, the dynamic team of 30-somethings created an original, unique gaming experience that disrupts the industry with their creativity. Artem Galeev, Robert Bagratuni, Evgenia Sedova, and Oleg Gorodishenin have built an incredible team of 130 creatives from 10 countries including Poland, Ukraine, Austria, Georgia, Israel, Armenia, UAE, Serbia, and Cyprus.
With our investors Gaijin Entertainment, Gem Capital, and Tencent, and our hardware partner Nvidia, we celebrate Atomic Heart and welcome you to our sci-fi world ecosystem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:08 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:27 pm created by Russians, funded by Russians, and profit going to Russians.
wonder if there's a way to get an answer statement to 'do you support your country's aggression towards Ukraine' from the dev team.
As you can see from the tweet above, the answer is "We sure do make games!"
malchior

Post by malchior »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:29 pm
wonder if there's a way to get an answer statement to 'do you support your country's aggression towards Ukraine' from the dev team.
It's gross to me that people are out on social media and at no risk demanding answers from people at ACTUAL RISK. So that they can feel better about playing a video game. Folks out there need to just think for 2 seconds that some of these people might live in a country where they can be imprisoned, tortured, or pressed into military service as cannon fodder for expressing declarative views. There is a pretty good reason they are reluctant to be clearer.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Hey!!! You got R&P in my Games thread!!!

He/Him/His/Porcupine
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:01 am
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:29 pm
It's gross to me that people are out on social media and at no risk demanding answers from people at ACTUAL RISK. So that they can feel better about playing a video game. Folks out there need to just think for 2 seconds that some of these people might live in a country where they can be imprisoned, tortured, or pressed into military service as cannon fodder for expressing declarative views. There is a pretty good reason they are reluctant to be clearer.
I admit that I have struggled with the backlash to this game as well. AFAIK this game is not being made by the Russian government and is not designed as some sort of pro-war, anti-Ukraine propaganda tool (full disclosure: I haven't paid much attention to the actual game content, so I could be wrong here). It's made by a bunch of game developers who seem to have begun the process of creating this long before the current conflict started, and who have not expressed support for the aggression. They haven't strongly disavowed it either (as malchior said above) because that could put their own lives at risk, but their statement about being peaceful seemed to be to be as close to that line as they could get.

These are just people trying to create a video game. They're not the government making decisions to sending hundreds of thousands to slaughter, nor are they supporting that.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Personally, it's not a matter of whether the developers are for or against the war. It's a matter of whether or not any money I spent on the game would end up in Russian tax coffers. The only way I know that I'm not buying bullets for Putin is by not doing business with Russian companies, including Russian game developers.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Exactly that. They may be personally blameless, but from a practical standpoint, any Russian business is forced to support the war, if through nothing other than taxes.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think it's trying to communicate with us!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:ninja:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Thoreau had opinions about how to interact with bad governments (is my takeaway). :coffee:

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:46 am It's a matter of whether or not any money I spent on the game would end up in Russian tax coffers.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, the money would probably end up in the pockets of some Russian oligarch. Every business in Russia keeps 2 sets of books, it's not even a secret. Moreso a company that is conveniently "based" in Cyprus.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Are we talking about an oligarch that dutifully pays a vig to Putin, or one of the ones that eventually strays too close to a window or flight of stairs?

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

One of the ones with their own paramilitary force operating in the Ukraine?
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

He/Him/His/Porcupine
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:36 pm Are we talking about an oligarch that dutifully pays a vig to Putin, or one of the ones that eventually strays too close to a window or flight of stairs?
One of the ones with their own paramilitary force operating in Ukraine?

Just wanted to be clear who I was responding to.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

stimpy wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:14 am Hey!!! You got R&P in my Games thread!!!

Can you take it to https://www.octopusoverlords.com/forum/ ... hp?t=78077
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stimpy wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:20 pm For the visually impaired......

https://www.octopusoverlords.com/forum/ ... hp?t=99532
Your ego is showing again.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:50 pm
stimpy wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:20 pm For the visually impaired......

https://www.octopusoverlords.com/forum/ ... hp?t=99532
Your ego is showing again.
Seriously.