[Bethesda] Fallout 76

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: [Bethesda] Fallout 76

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:48 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:34 am I believe it has a borderless option. That makes it look fullscreen (no bars),but it acts like a window.
Which may not be helpful if he still has to ALT+TAB in order to switch to another window. I've found borderless to really only be helpful when I ran two monitors.
Windows considers it the same as being in a small window. Borderless is just a window with no frame around it, sized to the whole monitor.

The difference is that when a game is running in true fullscreen, Windows gives it more direct control ('exclusive mode') that prevents anything else from using some parts of Windows/your hardware. When you alt-tab out of a true fullscreen game, Windows is taking that control away from the game, giving it to Windows, and then passing it back to the game when you go back. That's where a lot of games (including most Bethesda/Creation Engine games) start having problems, as they can't handle control being taken way.

But since Windows sees borderless fullscreen games as running in an actual window, it never activates exclusive mode, and the game doesn't have to recover when you go back. When you alt-tab out of a borderless fullscreen game, you're just switching between programs, not turning parts of the game completely off.

In fact, that's the biggest benefit to borderless - switching windows. Most (not all) games actually run very slightly better in true fullscreen, but alt-tabbing (or switching monitors) is slower and/or problematic.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Any named guns I usually hold onto. Ive got one Im test finally that seems pretty useful . Its called The Fixer. its a .45 rifle thats silenced and adds +100% crouched speed. So handy. My power armor is stealth if i crouch and dont move too. So if Im in PA I just crouch all the time..fun.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Which is why I recommended the Fixer to you when you first started playing, along with a Handmade.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oops..

I still haven't gotten a automatic receiver off a handmade or any type of scrapping. I have a prime automatic but that changes the ammo type to Ultracite. Harder to find.

Also just today I got the Nuka Cola red paint scheme for my pipboy from the scoreboard thing. I love it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:18 pm Oops..

I still haven't gotten a automatic receiver off a handmade or any type of scrapping. I have a prime automatic but that changes the ammo type to Ultracite. Harder to find.
There are five automatic receivers for it (and not all of them have 'automatic' in the name (like the Tweaked Receiver.) The problem with the mods for rare weapons is that it takes time to get the rare ones to scrap.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ya..supposedly I cant kills scorched and scrap all the weps and may get lucky with an auto receiver. takes time. Im worn out killing scorched.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I found this neat little melee wep. Tone Death. Its like a weaponized tambourine lol. Its fast as heck and knocks the crap outta shit..yes thats redundant :) it also makes a tambourine sound when using lol.

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Now listen while I play-ay-ay-ay-ay... my mean tambourine
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I lucked out today and found a server wit ha group of people nuking stuff all day over and over to run things. So Ive been staying here and getting in on it all.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im at the Whitesands...heck if I can remember the name.White something. Im calling it sands as its easy :). Anyways I see messages saying playername just bought item whatever. I look on my map though and I dont see that player at my camp. He has to be there as he is buying stuff. Yet the map shows nothing. Is that weird or a bug?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Maybe they traveled right away, or I've heard that going into stealth hides you on the map.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Game is being a pain in the ass lately. Crashes a bunch. Mostly when Im trying to leave the game. Just now I wasn't though. I was getting out of my power armor and it just closed to desktop..gone., lol. Guess it had had enough. Becoming a nuisance.

Starting to fear my 12+ year old pc is coming apart at the capacitors. Its a long time and always on 24/7 to have heat on it all the time. I just need it to keep chugging .
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

Handmade rifles are good but more rare than combat rifles/Fixers.
My commando toon carries both. The Fixer is somewhat better in VATS, but the Handmade is much better out of VATS.

One place I've found you can find them is on the cultists guarding the bridge at Point Pleasant (Mothmanville) near the FT spot.
If you go there once a gaming session you will hopefully pick some up over time. Just always scrap them when you can.
This also has some locations: https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Handmad ... allout_76)

I just scrapped every one I found until I got the mods. It took a while. If I start up a new toon I'll often pass along any ones I get for them to scrap.

If you are a commando you want the
  • Tweaked Receiver (which is an automatic receiver),
    Aligned barrel (preferably long),
    Aligned grip,
    a swift or quick magazine (to lower AP costs)
    reflex sight (any kind).
Another strategy is to build/scrap them. You need the plan (which you can get from a couple of vendors at the Whitespring) and mats.
Backwoodsman #3 makes them cheaper to craft, and the Scrapper perk and/or Guns & Bullets #5 gets more mats back when you craft one.
I've really only pursued that strategy once - for Ultracite Gatling Lasers. I bought a decent legendary and then built/scrapped more until
I got the mods I wanted. Since I have Fallout 1st the mats were not a problem, you may need to do this as you can.

Also, if you see me in the game (my tag is Pz38t, send me a friend request and I can always mod one for you.

I think Blackhawk's right in that going into stealth hides you on the map.
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

PSA: This season ends on Tuesday morning, so be sure and claim all your rewards by then and/or make a dash to get a couple more.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I picked up the old screaming eagle skin for the handmade. I basically just carry a auto silenced handmade with night scope and the fixer. Although I really need to make a new card build for them. I dont have but a good builder deck, a ok to middling damage deck and a testing deck. I wish it would not only let me switch cards in the slots but the special too dangit.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:26 pm I picked up the old screaming eagle skin for the handmade. I basically just carry a auto silenced handmade with night scope and the fixer. Although I really need to make a new card build for them. I dont have but a good builder deck, a ok to middling damage deck and a testing deck. I wish it would not only let me switch cards in the slots but the special too dangit.
?

You can. Are you using the card rack to change/save builds?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:22 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:26 pm I picked up the old screaming eagle skin for the handmade. I basically just carry a auto silenced handmade with night scope and the fixer. Although I really need to make a new card build for them. I dont have but a good builder deck, a ok to middling damage deck and a testing deck. I wish it would not only let me switch cards in the slots but the special too dangit.
?

You can. Are you using the card rack to change/save builds?
Yes...but Im not paying deep attention to it all. If I was serious about it all Id keep my one build and make a good damage build...but I font bother. Im really at the end of my play time with FO76 it feels. Maybe not..
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My point was that you can change your SPECIALs at the card rack, too.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Something is wrong after this new update.....my camp wont spawn. I dont even get the error saying cannot spawn camp...its just not there. Ive world hopped many times. I restarted the game. And Ive restarted my pc. Still not there. I cant even spawn myself or my mobile camp. I can see my camp icon still on the map nut nothing is there.

WTH do I do? I cant play without my camp.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok this is ridiculous...where is my damn CAMP!??

Says its blocked due to colliding with another players camp. But theres nothing there..and ive change worlds many times.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I think Im done with this. All I had left was nuking stuff and doing expeditions .

Got this reply from someone on Steam when I asked about my CAMP problem......
helvetia enhanced "no camps allowed" zones, your camp is gone permamently im affraid, cos its going to be the same even on private world
That was done with recent patch, so yesterday
So Im just gonna delete it I guess.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Apparently they made it that way during the event because having CAMPs too close was causing glitches in years past. I have no idea if that means it'll come back afterward or not.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Do you kust lose ot completely including any materials or can you just respawn in another lication or do you have to start from scratch?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:13 am Do you kust lose ot completely including any materials or can you just respawn in another lication or do you have to start from scratch?

You don't lose any materials. If your camp can't be placed where it was (for instance, if you join a server and someone else has theirs in the same spot already), then it's just placed in a sort of limbo. You can select it from the menu and place it down somewhere else. At least in theory - in practice it rarely works unless you minimize the footprint on the ground (if the ground in the old place was uneven, even a little, then items would be floating above or embedded in the ground in the new locations, so it considers it invalid.) If you don't want to move it or wait until the space comes available again, you have can just hit a button and get all the pieces back, then put them down somewhere else.

In this case, there's a small town (Helvetia?) where they hold certain seasonal events, including the Christmas event. From what I read, they have had problems in the past with camps nearby messing up the seasonal spawns, as well as with people technically being inside the event area while in their camps, allowing them to AFK and get all of the rewards, over and over. So apparently Bethesda created a larger zone around that town this year in which camps are not allowed to be built. Guess what town Daehawk's camp is right across the river from?

It's unknown (as far as I've seen) as to whether the area will go back to normal after the event, or if it's permanent now. As much as it screws Daehawk over, I hope they keep it that way. It's better than letting people build there unknowingly, then taking away multiple players' camps every single time they hold an event.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Really missing playing this. Its been months but nothing else since has captured me the way 76 did. I played it all the time. I quit only because I ran out of everything to do and my home base got bugged. It would not place because it said spot taken or too close to another or some such. But I looked and looked and nothing was there for a mile or more. I have no idea what happened. I didn't want to move my base as i liked it there and set up. Plus nothing new to do made it boring and repeat old stuff and areas. Or make stuff up in my mind like a mutant hunt or something and go off hunting.

Same with SWTOR. I want to play it more than any mmo out but Ive played the story about 23 times and all characters.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:56 pm Really missing playing this. Its been months but nothing else since has captured me the way 76 did. I played it all the time. I quit only because I ran out of everything to do and my home base got bugged. It would not place because it said spot taken or too close to another or some such. But I looked and looked and nothing was there for a mile or more. I have no idea what happened.
Did you attempt to move it before the problem began? FWIW, never, ever move your base. The only bases that can be reliably moved have to be designed specifically for that, or they'll fail to place practically every time and will have to be scrapped.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Nope. I guess its what you posted above about that town or something. But relocating it would be impossible as I had stuff built all over that area and on many height lvls. I had a part built on the cliff directly above the main base too.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

looks like they added Atlantic City the day before I quit and Im just now finding out about it lolz.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:28 am looks like they added Atlantic City the day before I quit and Im just now finding out about it lolz.
Oh.. I might have to log bsck in just to check that out!
Have to remember this.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:57 am Nope. I guess its what you posted above about that town or something. But relocating it would be impossible as I had stuff built all over that area and on many height lvls. I had a part built on the cliff directly above the main base too.
Ah, I'd forgotten that. They made a certain area inaccessible for building because people had exploited it during events previously. They had to do something to stop people from breaking the game. Unfortunately, your CAMP happened to land in that small area.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I ran the Atlantic City expedition and finished it. First and only expedition I ever did . I need to do the other one I suppose. Forgot all my buttons and controls that were just a few months back so easy I didn't have to think about them.

Still with nose base Im just sorta looking around.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I got talked into (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) firing up F76 for the first time in 2 or 3 years. By the time I was done I had a shiny new Lucy MacLean character and a 12-month Fallout 1st subscription (because playing without a scrapbox is an exercise in futility).

One thing I noticed is that they've revamped the onboarding of new characters. There is now an option to start with either a level 2 or level 20 character, with a small selection of builds to choose from with appropriate SPECIAL allocation, perk cards and some starting equipment. I need to relearn how to play the game so I went the level 2 option, but it's nice to see an option for players who want to hit the ground running.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I miss it. The world and traveling through it. But I ran out of quests to do or places to go and then my camp became unplacable. I hate that. Really need my camp. Dont feel like trying to replace it nearby .
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:07 pm Enlarge Image
Preach. I can't begin to tell you how many times...

I've had quests that I've had to start half a dozen times. Because I stop at every location along the way, get overloaded with junk, head back to drop the junk, and then begin again... Repeat...

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They had to know that line would go viral.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I watched the first ep of the show and reinstalled 76. I had just started relocating my camp a little further back along the stream from that town when the server crashed. If it aint one thing its another. Ill see about getting back in. I figure I cant sleep at all I might as well get up and and spend the morning resetting up my camp.

EDIT: Alright got my camp mostly set back up just south of my old one along the same creek and just below that town. Maybe that will satisfy the Fallout Gods. I didn't put all the junk back in. Im not bothering with decorations for now. Got all the needed things back. Ill put the stat boosting items in later.

Still annoying it made me move.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres stuff missing from my camp build or stored list. Like I had a table top bowling thing that you used to boost your agility or perception..it was different than the full sized alley. But I can no longer find it listed anywhere for me to build and place. wtf.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:01 pm I got talked into (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) firing up F76 for the first time in 2 or 3 years. By the time I was done I had a shiny new Lucy MacLean character and a 12-month Fallout 1st subscription (because playing without a scrapbox is an exercise in futility).

One thing I noticed is that they've revamped the onboarding of new characters. There is now an option to start with either a level 2 or level 20 character, with a small selection of builds to choose from with appropriate SPECIAL allocation, perk cards and some starting equipment. I need to relearn how to play the game so I went the level 2 option, but it's nice to see an option for players who want to hit the ground running.
Does that level 20 thing still let you follow the stories or does it marked a bunch of them done?
Also do you get extra resources or gear or start as a newb?