[Bethesda] Fallout 76

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: [Bethesda] Fallout 76

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:54 pm Deserves to be?
Covfefe!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:32 pm Image
Damn it, it is hell getting old and not getting the cultural reference of a GIF. Thank god I now have an image search option extension in Firefox... :coffee:

Damn it, I didn't recognize a reference from Animal House? Just shoot me now :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hand over your man card. You can have it back after you binge watch Animal House, Caddyshack, Airplane and Back to School this weekend. Until then, you're on double secret probation, pal.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I think it's when he claimed Germans bombed Pearl Harbor...but I haven't seen AH in a loooong time.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:57 am Hand over your man card. You can have it back after you binge watch Animal House, Caddyshack, Airplane and Back to School this weekend. Until then, you're on double secret probation, pal.
I have seen Airplane. None of the others. If you can find my man card, you're welcome to it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Buatha wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:53 am I think it's when he claimed Germans bombed Pearl Harbor...but I haven't seen AH in a loooong time.
It is indeed. Let me just punch your man card....hold on a sec....there. Two more and you get a free steak sub (6 inch) at Subway!
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:16 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:57 am Hand over your man card. You can have it back after you binge watch Animal House, Caddyshack, Airplane and Back to School this weekend. Until then, you're on double secret probation, pal.
I have seen Airplane. None of the others. If you can find my man card, you're welcome to it.
We have it on file at the Federal Man Building on Manly Avenue in Mantown, Virginia. I'll have a copy sent to you via ManEx overnight. I will warn you though, you're in danger of OWING subway a 6 inch steak sub.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Pfft. I don't know who turned it in to you. I tossed that thing out when I was six.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Virginia
I thought it was in MANitoba
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:57 am Hand over your man card.
Sorry, I don't have ready access to it. My wife has been holding on to it for 40 years for what she says is "safe keeping" :roll:.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:08 pm [I thought it was in MANitoba
Well-played.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So, Fallout 76: Wastelanders comes out tomorrow. Will it be a good fit for those of us who are solo gamers? I haven't really been following all the pre-release info/hype.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:54 pm So, Fallout 76: Wastelanders comes out tomorrow. Will it be a good fit for those of us who are solo gamers? I haven't really been following all the pre-release info/hype.
I thought it got a bit of an unfair rep when it came out. I haven't played it in a few months, but when I played players tended to leave each other alone, and there was lots of cool stuff to explore with friends (or alone).

I've been thinking about getting back into it now that it's on Steam. I have my Steam account linked to my Bethesda account, and they were nice enough to gift it to me.
Montag

Post by Montag »

I got my money's worth out of it. It lacks the compelling story of the other ones, but it still scratches the itch.
words
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sepiche wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:14 am I've been thinking about getting back into it now that it's on Steam. I have my Steam account linked to my Bethesda account, and they were nice enough to gift it to me.
An offer that expired yesterday. :(
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I don't recall if toilet paper was a lootable object at launch, but it certainly is now.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:54 am
Sepiche wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:14 am I've been thinking about getting back into it now that it's on Steam. I have my Steam account linked to my Bethesda account, and they were nice enough to gift it to me.
They have extended this offer until the 28th. One thing you need to be aware of is Atoms are locked to the launcher you used to earn them even though the account is linked between the two launchers. I currently have thousands of Atoms on the original game but none in my Steam version. However anything you did or will purchase with Atoms will transfer across the launchers. I'm going to stick with the Steam launcher but will need to use Bethesda's launcher for now if I want something from the Atom shop.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

What about new Atoms earned? And what about existing completed Atom 'achievements'?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:50 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:54 am
They have extended this offer until the 28th. One thing you need to be aware of is Atoms are locked to the launcher you used to earn them even though the account is linked between the two launchers. I currently have thousands of Atoms on the original game but none in my Steam version. However anything you did or will purchase with Atoms will transfer across the launchers. I'm going to stick with the Steam launcher but will need to use Bethesda's launcher for now if I want something from the Atom shop.
Thanks. I have my accounts linked but still see nothing on steam. I re-linked my account just to see if that made a difference. I'll give it a couple days and hopefully I remember to check back. I'm not really too worried about it as I don't see myself going back, but I guess I wouldn't mind checking out the new stuff.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:15 pm What about new Atoms earned? And what about existing completed Atom 'achievements'?
I earned 30 Atoms today playing through Steam and so my Steam Atom account is now 30 Atoms, my Bethesda launcher Atom account remained the same. The daily achievement I did to earn the atoms in Steam are recognized as completed in the Bethesda game so I can't do them again using that launcher. It showed my old achievements in the Steam game so I can't re-earn those atoms. It's sort of annoying but not that big a deal.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:41 pm Thanks. I have my accounts linked but still see nothing on steam. I re-linked my account just to see if that made a difference. I'll give it a couple days and hopefully I remember to check back. I'm not really too worried about it as I don't see myself going back, but I guess I wouldn't mind checking out the new stuff.
You may need to restart Steam, if you haven't already done so. In my case, the game appeared in my Steam library with no action on my part aside from ensuring that the accounts were linked, but it didn't start tracking Steam achievements until I restarted Steam.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been dipping my toe back in after quitting in frustration just a month or so after launch when Bethesda blew off my issues.

It didn't last long. I tried the new quests - big improvement. Base building seems better. No crashes.

I also had quests that wouldn't trigger, a bug that kept me from equipping any weapons in the middle of a mission, requiring me to log out and lose progress, the controls are still abysmal, with different keys doing different things in different menus in the most intuitive way possible. You shouldn't have to read the controls on every single page of a menu. Tonight I spent two or three hours getting my base just so. Unfortunately, I was a few feet too close to a telephone pole, so I couldn't put the walls on one corner. No biggie, I just walked to a nearby flat spot and moved the base. "Cannot place item selected. Item is floating." Great. Reasearch time. Bug that's still there from day one. Apparently you have to remove anything near a wall or hanging on a wall prior to moving the base to avoid this issue, as it is caused by objects that are clipping. There was only one solution listed: scrap the base and start over. Two to three hours of building erased because Bethesda still can't fix a day-one bug. And this was all in probably five or six hours of play total.

I don't want to have to fight this hard against the game to play it. I have too many games that I can just play to spend my time this way.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I picked this up as I'm in a super rut as of late. And I really enjoyed it so far. I guess it paid off to not pay attention and wait until the latest update to finally give it a try. We'll see if it quickly wears off, but so far I really liked it. :horse:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Montag

Post by Montag »

When you linked your Steam account did you get a key or did it just show up in your library?
words
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Montag wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:24 am When you linked your Steam account did you get a key or did it just show up in your library?
It will just show up in your game library.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

My shiny new level 12 toon claimed a workshop to earn some Atoms. I was impressed that it took all of ten minutes for a level 99 player to show up and murder me. That gave me enough time to craft a stash box and dump my accumlated salvage, so he didn't get anything out of it, other than control of the workshop itself.

DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:08 am My shiny new level 12 toon claimed a workshop to earn some Atoms. I was impressed that it took all of ten minutes for a level 99 player to show up and murder me. That gave me enough time to craft a stash box and dump my accumlated salvage, so he didn't get anything out of it, other than control of the workshop itself.
Those guys aren't interested in your scrap or the caps they get since they almost certainly don't need it. They're just spergs frustrated that there's no PvP in this game. Once you cap a workshop there's no reason to stay there, otherwise you're just asking to be killed. It's only a small percentage of players that will look for people at a workshop but you should always assume there's at least one on your server. The only reason I cap a workshop is for the daily achievement, if there is one, or I want a free fast travel back to the area for some reason. I won't even bother with the defend events since I can still free travel back as long as someone doesn't take it. Cap it and then get the hell away.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Montag wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:24 am When you linked your Steam account did you get a key or did it just show up in your library?
From comments on the bethesda page:
I wrote to support and they said anyone that did not meet the first (original) deadline of April 12 and are linking after that date can expect to have Fallout 76 linked up to steam by the end of the month.

So I guess we just have to wait, although I would have much preferred if it was an instant thing
Emphasis mine.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, I know. I overstayed my welcome in order to do a defence mission that came up almost immediately, then to heal up and make some repairs to weapons and armour. I started taking fire while I was using the armour bench. Overall what I got out of it was worth the price of being someone's cheap power-trip content for a minute or so. :lol:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Fallout 76 gets a free weekend so you can check out the “whole new Appalachia”
Fallout 76 has had a load of updates since its maligned launch, and the recent Wastelanders expansion has been the biggest one of all. If you’re curious about whether Bethesda’s take on multiplayer games is now worth checking out, the devs have a risk-free option for you, as Fallout 76 is getting a free weekend.

The Fallout 76 free weekend starts on May 14 at 9:00 PDT / 12:00 EDT / 17:00 BST, and will conclude on May 18 – also at 9:00 PDT / 12:00 EDT / 17:00 BST. As always, you’ll get full access to the game for as long as you want to play, and your progress will happen much faster for the promotion, as a double XP event coincides with the free weekend.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I assume that's only at Bethesda's storefront? It doesn't say Steam.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Buatha wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:25 am I assume that's only at Bethesda's storefront? It doesn't say Steam.
It is also on Steam, downloading now.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Also, Fallout 76: Inside the Vault – Introducing The 2020 Roadmap & 76 Seasons
This week, we’re sharing our 2020 Roadmap for Fallout 76 to offer you an early look at what’s coming to the game during the rest of this year. We’ve also got lots of details for you on Seasons, which arrive this Summer with Season 1 and will revamp the current in-game Challenge system.
Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Free to play for this week.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:11 pm Free to play for this week.
60% off too.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You're late! :)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

So this was gifted to me at Christmas so I’d thought I’d give it a shot. I’ve put around 14 hours into it so far and these are my impressions:

Pros:

1) The addition of NPC’s is really nice. Beyond those involved in quests, you now see NPC’s wandering the wasteland, some in camps/outposts, etc. Some will even help you out and give you stuff, others will visit you camps. Some you can find defending themselves and you can join in to assist them. It all makes WVa feel more alive. There are also now at least 3 questlines available involving NPC’s that know of.
2) The first is a series of introductory quests involving a new bar. They are pretty interesting and serve to introduce you to the world. Much better than the old tutorial quest line (which I understand still exists).
3) Then you have two others which have been widely advertised - Wastelanders and the Brotherhood of Steel, which I haven’t gotten to yet but from what I have read are pretty good.
4) There are also new raider types (I think) which are pretty interesting. I don’t think there were any other humans in WVA in the original release. New human enemies are good.
5) I like that caps, stimpacks, drugs and lockpicks are much more rare than previous Fallouts. Though with some work it is still possible to accumulate large amounts of caps, but it’s much harder than Fallout 4.
6) Related to above, I hate that all the vendors are limited to single pool of 1400 caps shared between them all. This just turns selling stuff into a grind.
7) For the most part, it feels much more like a regular Fallout game.

Cons:

1) I pretty much hate all the MMO stuff such as:
2) Certain high level items hide behind grinding with no other way of getting them.
3) Grinding, grinding grinding. A lot the of aforementioned quest lines have top tier gear (I’m looking at you BoS recon armor) that is not available without grinding. In Wastelanders, you have two factions and a faction standing. Even i you complete all of the faction quests, you can’t get the best stuff because your faction standing still won’t be high enough. You have to grind further daily quests with them in order to get the best stuff, and from what I’ve read, it’s not quick. For the BoS, you can’t even get some really good stuff in the same way. For some items, you just have to hope they drop as legendaries - you can’t even grind knowing that you will eventually get what you want - it’s all RNG. Some of these items could theoretically take several months of daily missions to get the items to drop or you accumulate enough gold bullion to buy them. Who really wants that, no matter how good the items are? Not me!
4) Speaking of gold bullion even if you choose to grind, the system is so convoluted. They have so many “currencies” that it’s silly. Some items can only be purchased with gold bullion. But gold bullion isn’t dropped directly. Instead, Treasure scrips are dropped which you have to convert to gold bullion. In addition, you can use caps to buy scripts or bullion, can’t remember which. Not sure why they don’t just use caps and be done with it (maybe it would distort the caps economy?) Then you have legendary upgrades which are also all tied up in this. It’s all a big mess, IMO.
5) I love/hate the camp system. Basically you have three choices, set up a big fancy well built permanent camp in one location, make a simple, easily moveable camp that you move as needed (mainly for stashing loot and simple crafting), or make a more built out camp for moving and hope you can find a flat place to put it. I prefer a light mobile camp but the problem is setting up camp cost money and it increases over time (though I think there is a cap). I’d really like two camps, a mobile one and a full time base but you can only get that with the monthly subscription.

In conclusion, if you ignore the MMO stuff, there’s a fun game here, very similar to previous Fallouts. There are all sorts of daily events, hunting for legendaries, etc, but that stuff is so MMO and totally takes me out of the game I want to play - a SP Fallout game with quests, stories and exploring. I may try a few of those, but for the most part I won’t because I just don’t find teaming up with a bunch of people to take out a monster or escort someone through a gauntlet all that interesting. I’m just going to play it as I play every other Fallout game, just sadly knowing that there’s some nice loot out there I’ll never see because I don’t care to grind.

PS, I’ll end with a positive note: I was a noob, level 3 just out of the Vault and ran across a level 45 player, I turned my back on him and he started shooting and I jumped, thinking he was going to kill me. Instead, he was shooting at the ground nearby. Turns out he had dropped 20 stimpacks (very valuable early on) and was trying to get my attention by firing at the package on the ground. So yeah, Mr. Level 45, thanks!
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

The RNG with Legendary gear really is a P.I.T.A. They made it a little better with the ability to re-roll legendary items, but it's still not great. I have a character that I have set up as a shotgun build and have only gotten him one decent weapon after 150 levels.

Joining public 'Casual' groups is very non-committal to anything and it does give an XP boost so it's worth joining them. The sooner you get to level 50 the better since that's the max level for gear. Overall the player base is very helpful, though you will run into the occasional asshole at certain events that kill legendary mobs before anyone else can tag it.

Once you hit level 20? and do the quest, you can build a shelter only CAMP which makes for easy moving. When you find Foundation(Settlers base), The Crater(Raider base), and the Brotherhood camp, they are free to travel to and have all the crafting benches, a vendor or two, and access to your stash. It's also free to travel to anyones CAMP that you're grouped with, which is also handy for finding travel points you haven't found yet.

Another big con that they really need to address is the lack of written chat, even if it would only work locally or in a group. Emotes just don't cut it and most people don't bother with voice chat.

Since it is Bethesda, the game still has some annoying bugs here and there but overall the game is much improved since the Wastelanders addition.
I still play relatively frequently so can help out with some gear or stuff if you need it. My game ID is Letotse.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:14 pm The RNG with Legendary gear really is a P.I.T.A. They made it a little better with the ability to re-roll legendary items, but it's still not great. I have a character that I have set up as a shotgun build and have only gotten him one decent weapon after 150 levels.
But the re-roll only works if you have found the weapon/armor to begin with. If you don't have the gun/armor, you can' re-roll.
Joining public 'Casual' groups is very non-committal to anything and it does give an XP boost so it's worth joining them. The sooner you get to level 50 the better since that's the max level for gear.
See, I really don't care about that. I am more interested in the journey, than the destination :)
Once you hit level 20? and do the quest, you can build a shelter only CAMP which makes for easy moving. When you find Foundation(Settlers base),
You are talking about the underground shelter, right?
The Crater(Raider base), and the Brotherhood camp, they are free to travel to and have all the crafting benches, a vendor or two, and access to your stash. It's also free to travel to anyones CAMP that you're grouped with, which is also handy for finding travel points you haven't found yet.
Yes, and you can also fast travel to Events without charge so if there is one close to an area you need to go to, you can piggyback on that without participating.
I still play relatively frequently so can help out with some gear or stuff if you need it. My game ID is Letotse.
Thanks, I'll make a note of that and look out for you.

PS, your name brings back a lot of gaming memories from years ago. How far we have come.