[Bethesda] Fallout 76

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: [Bethesda] Fallout 76

Post by Daehawk »

If so many simply wont buy it I suppose. I wouldn't.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Private servers are imminent.
We’re happy to announce our work on the service for private servers is complete and will be launching next week! The ability to play in your own private world with your friends has been the number one community-requested feature, and we’re thrilled it’s finally coming. Our goal for players who purchase this service is to offer something for everyone, not just those who want a private server. Additionally, in the future you’ll be able to mod your worlds. Stay tuned for more information on the service in the coming days.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Players who purchase this service? Hmmm... great.
-mf
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also:
Our approach to these items at launch was to keep them purely cosmetic. But after looking at all the data, it became clear that to consistently deliver content that keeps Fallout 76 fresh and exciting for all, we needed to rethink our approach to the Atomic Shop.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ars technica
As the video game Fallout 76 approaches its first anniversary this November, its makers at Bethesda have routinely promised its online playerbase a way to pay for private servers. That promised service finally got a name (and a price) on Wednesday: Fallout 1st will become available for existing Fallout 76 players on November 1 for either $99.99/year or $12.99/month.

The service's headline feature is "private worlds," though these don't quite operate the same way you might expect from a paid, private-server service like Minecraft Realms. Instead of having one person pay to operate a specific, always-online server, a paying member will be able to create a private Fallout 76 instance, then invite up to seven other players (including non-subscribers) to join that instance. For that gameplay instance to persist, however, at least one of its players must be a paying Fallout 1st member; as soon as all subscribers log out, the instance will disconnect.
The biggest additional feature for this paid service is a bit concerning: storage space for in-game items. Continuing in Fallout game tradition, players can only store so many items in their "backpacks," whose storage amount can be increased in the course of gameplay. But the game's increased focus on crafting (which had been hinted at in Fallout 4's "settlement" system) means players have a lot of smaller items they may want to stock in a non-backpack storage container, dubbed the Stash. Fallout 76 puts an artificial cap on that storage: 800 units of weight.

Paying Fallout 1st subscribers, on the other hand, will have access to an unlimited storage container dubbed the Scrapbox. (Got that? The free one is a Stash; the paid one is a Scrapbox.) There's no other way to access or pay for an unlimited storage box in the game, and this feature is arguably targeted at the game's most engaged, craft-crazy players.

Subscribers also get a serious quality-of-life boost with the new Survival Tent, which will let players magically drop an outpost in the game's world that doubles as a few things: a Scrapbox, a Stash, a cooking station, and a fast-travel point. That sure seems like a handy perk to get by default, if not as a reward for beating a major quest. But hey, what do we know?

The rest of the paid subscription package includes a monthly drop of microtransaction currency (1,650 "atoms," which normally cost $15 as a real-world purchase), discounts within the game's atom-currency store, and a few exclusive cosmetic items.
Today's news comes nearly a week after Bethesda announced a delay to the game's first "free" expansion pack, Wastelanders, now landing in "Q1 2020." That delay came only days after another major delay to a Bethesda game expected by the end of 2019, Doom Eternal, which is now slated to launch on March 20, 2020.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

*snickers*
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

That sounds horrible. I can't imagine a ton of people are going to take them up on that subscription plan.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Octavious wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:48 pm That sounds horrible. I can't imagine a ton of people are going to take them up on that subscription plan.
Definitely not going to attract new players and I doubt they'll get the sub numbers they want to satisfy the accountants. I think they've jaded too many people already for Wastelanders to have any chance of saving the game. Unfortunately Bethesda won't accept it and keep delaying any new Fallout projects.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There is no question that this game tanked their reputation and the loyalty of their fans.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:03 pm There is no question that this game tanked their reputation and the loyalty of their fans.
Agreed...I like many fans I was waiting for the release of the dedicated server update/tweaks to open it up to advance modding to purchase. It was hoped that the influx of new folks would invigorate the modding community to finally make this the success it should be and bring co-op game play in the Fallout world to new levels. Time will tell, but I think this is hubris on their part and a gross miscalculation of what the fan base is willing to pay and tolerate. Now that there are alternatives to the Fallout universe out there, perhaps one of those developers will realize the opportunity.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Forbes
Fallout 1st players are finding that a “newly created” world they might be heading into is not actually new at all. Players are reporting dead NPCs and looted areas when they get there, implying that these are not actually new instances, but instead re-used old instances masquerading as brand new private worlds.

The “private” aspect is up for debate too. Players with big friends lists, ie. merchants who sell players goods in the game, are finding that they can’t prevent people from joining their private servers where they just want to relax and play by themselves or with a few friends. Without some sort of “invisible” mode, other players can see your instance and join it.
Multiple players are reporting that they have deposited hundreds of units of scrap in these new boxes, only to find that the box has eaten it. The scrap disappears from the instance, and can’t be found again from re-logging or anything. It’s just gone. Players are not amused at the fact that they have now paid for the privilege of losing all of their materials, and so far, there does not seem to be any way to recover any of this.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Octavious wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:48 pm That sounds horrible. I can't imagine a ton of people are going to take them up on that subscription plan.
It is pretty terrible. I have rented servers for gaming before and they were always up and persistent. I dint have to be logged into it for it to be up for other players. Ridiculous. Of course the first big planned free content update has slipped again. Great timing, I guess they needed time to screw this up. I didn't care too much when Blizzard went to shit but this one hurts.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I know it is silly, but I really wanted to love this game. Enough so that I preordered. Enough so that when I had a disconnection issue with my main character that made the game literally unplayable, and Bethesda specifically refused to discuss the issue with me because my CPU was 0.1 Ghz below the recommended, I still kept the game installed. I wanted to give them time to fix it so that I could come back and give it another go.

With this, though, I'm uninstalling. The way they've lied, the way they've treated their customers (the broken base game, the 'buzz off' I got from tech support, the duffel bag debacle, the rum runaround, the promise of no monetization of mechanical benefits followed by doing exactly that, the statement that stashes can't be expanded anymore for technical reasons followed by a monetized infinite stash...)

Everyone knows how much I've loved Bethesda games, going clear back to the OO Morrowind disk I made and distributed, the mods I made for Oblivion, the support I've given around here for Fallout and Elder Scrolls modders. Whatever they release next will be the first Bethesda game since Morrowind that I don't preorder. I just don't trust them anymore. And I don't really like them much, either.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Here's the E3 list for your boycotting needs.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm not boycotting. I'm not trying to do some dramatic grandstanding. It isn't some 'on principle' stance, either. Also, that list is about Bethesda Softworks (the publisher), while I'm more concerned with Bethesda Game Studios (the developer behind Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and Starfield.) I've just gone from being a Bethesda fanboy to being very cautious of their products and services. I'm already a cautious shopper when it comes to games, brought on mostly by not having the money to waste on a bad product. I don't preorder. I don't decide whether I'll like a game based on the press before release. I wait for reviews, and I usually wait for patches. There have always been three exceptions: Borderlands, Blizzard games, and Bethesda's games (Fallout and Elder Scrolls.) Now there are two exceptions. Bethesda (Game Studios) has been demoted. In fact, they're probably a rung below other developers on my trust meter these days.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thank you for clarifying. Apologies for the misunderstanding.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There is no question that Elder Scrolls 6, Starfield, and Fallout 5 will be on my radar. I will just be waiting until other people have had the chance to check for shenanigans before I think about spending money.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:06 pm There is no question that Elder Scrolls 6, Starfield, and Fallout 5 will be on my radar. I will just be waiting until other people have had the chance to check for shenanigans before I think about spending money.
This is me but I am prolly even less interested in their next offerings. I fear this downward trend will continue with them and not get turned around. At least there are other Fallout (atmosphere/setting) games out there to help with that but nobody made better 1st person sandboxes for RPG's and I've been a huge fan of theirs since Daggerfall.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats the way Bioware is to me. They died when EA got them and the 2 Gregs left. I hate it when great companies go bad.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Bioware has made some big missteps (Anthem), but both Dragon Age and Mass Effect were EA-era titles that were very well received and that I enjoyed quite a bit. The real problem is that they've had two real stinkers in a row (Anthem, ME: Andromeda), preceded by a game that got bad press despite not being a bad game (Mass Effect 3 - the bad final 15 minutes don't completely overshadow the good 40 hours leading up to it.)

I'd honestly love to see a remaster of ME1-3.

But anyway, back to Fallout.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I'd say the only way to save their souls would be to bundle the code and release the game as a free, single-player install (along with the source code) for home use on your own server (if it were possible) and let the modding community go to town and not say SHIT to anyone about how they use it.

Of course, I'm sure that hell would have to be turning down the A/C for that to happen.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:06 pm There is no question that Elder Scrolls 6, Starfield, and Fallout 5 will be on my radar. I will just be waiting until other people have had the chance to check for shenanigans before I think about spending money.
Yeah...that strategy doesn't work, either. I played Fallouts 2-4 long after they first came out, and they all had crippling bugs, even with the highest-available fan patches. I love-hated all of them to varying degrees.

In spite of that, I'll eventually play FO5 and gripe about it, too, if they back away from multiplayer realtime and get back to the tried-and-true single-player game that brought them this far. If 76 is the prototype for the series going forward, I'm out.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

2 wasn't Bethesda.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:13 pm 2 wasn't Bethesda.
Oh. Well, I barely remember 2 except that I played it "for research" when I worked at Impressions, and I was really smitten with the setting. To me, Fallout really means 3, NV, and 4, plus expansions, and what I said about bugs applies to all of those. Even if you wait years past release, you're still going to encounter quests you can't complete, rewards that aren't there, and the occasional crash or lockup, despite the best efforts of fans (not Bethesda) to fix those things.

As an aside, I also really don't care about crafting and am sorry to learn that iti's emphasized even more in 76.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I was informed that Microsoft may provide uninstall information to developers, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I uninstalled the game last night from my Xbox One because I see no good end to this debacle and I hope they do get the data.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Australians can now get their refund for Fallout 76.

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/205212/aust ... nd-fallout
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

76 is the first Fallout title besides the overhead shooter BoS by interplay that I skipped totally. I beat Fallout 1, 2 played Fallout tactics but didn't beat it. I bought 4 and HATED the crafting and town building aspects. I despise the stupid dialogue system and the new skills system.

I put 10-15 hours in and just gave up. Not my thing. I think it may be another 10-15 years before we see a Fallout worthy of the name. I just hope if Bethesda can't produce another good Fallout that they don't hang onto it till the bitter end as did Interplay.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I liked Fallout 3. And Fallout: New Vegas. And Fallout 4. Both times I played it. I would be delighted if Bethesda continued producing the same games. I'd also wager that there are a lot more people that feel the way I do than the way you do.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it's unworthy of the Fallout name. Nor that it's not good.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

TheMix wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:50 pm I liked Fallout 3. And Fallout: New Vegas. And Fallout 4. Both times I played it. I would be delighted if Bethesda continued producing the same games. I'd also wager that there are a lot more people that feel the way I do than the way you do.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it's unworthy of the Fallout name. Nor that it's not good.
+1. They were each great games despite some problems. I especially liked 4 because I live near Boston, and I'm a contractor for the Institute in real life. :)

I only click on this thread to marvel at the trainwreck and hope that they'll return to their roots for FO5.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Been listening to "MrMattyPlays" on FO76 while he streams gameplay from The Outer Worlds. :wink:

Bethesda Is EXPANDING Fallout 1st & Blatantly Ignoring Fan Criticism
-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

13 minutes of FO76 crap.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unless I missed someone else's post, Fallout 76: Wastelanders has been announced:
A New Beginning...

In Fallout 76: Wastelanders, people are now coming back to West Virginia. Two vying factions are struggling to gain the upper hand as the secrets of West Virginia are revealed. The Settlers have come to find a new home, and the Raiders have come to exploit them. Embark on a new quest for the Overseer, forge alliances with competing factions, and uncover the truth of what's hidden in the mountains.

Free for Fallout 76 players when it releases for Steam, B.net, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 on April 7, 2020.
and...
New Main Quest
Uncover the secrets of West Virginia by playing through an all-new main quest, starting from the moment you leave Vault 76.

Human NPCs
Befriend or betray new neighbors who have come to rebuild, and experience Appalachia through the eyes of its residents.

New Creatures and Gear
Take down newly mutated creatures finding their way to the region and earn the highest tier of weapons and armor.

Choices and Reputation
Alter the fates of those you meet with dialogue trees. Decisions affect your standing with each faction through an all-new reputation system.

Raiders & Settlers Content Bundle
Celebrate people coming back to West Virginia with faction-themed cosmetic and C.A.M.P. items, including the Raider Marauder and Settler Vigilante Power Armor Skins!
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So is this the all female quest to join the feminists and restart the world without men.....which last about ohhhhh...70 years at best.?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Guess we know who won't be buying a ticket to Wonder Woman 2 or the Birds of Prey this summer...
Covfefe!
morlac

Post by morlac »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:52 pm So is this the all female quest to join the feminists and restart the world without men.....which last about ohhhhh...70 years at best.?
Don't you Mod these games for 'sexy' female skins? I mean this should be right up your alley... if that was actually the plot. However, I also watched the trailer and can't figure out the evil feminist plot you came up with.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, there were three separate women who spoke, so...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:03 pm Guess we know who won't be buying a ticket to Wonder Woman 2 or the Birds of Prey this summer...

If I cared about going to movies WW2 would be awesome. BoP is going to be a big fat flop because it deserves to be.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Deserves to be?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like crap man.