[Bethesda] Fallout 76

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: [Bethesda] Fallout 76

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:13 pm I wish weapons that use cores for ammo would specify which type of core they use. Like I have a laser gatlin that uses fusion cores but it just says core. So Im always looking in my inv to see how many plasma cores and fusion cores I have to match the number I have with how many the weapon is currently showing it has available to it just so I can go to a vendor and buy the right damn ammo.
The word "plasma" in the name is a big clue as to which weapons they work in (hint: It's the plasma weapons.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Found a vendor selling serums for 200. Usually I dont see them less than say 2000. So I grabbed a marsupial one and a speed demon one. I could jump higher, carry more, run faster, and reload faster than ever . Was real fun and side effects...the bad stuff...was suppressed. But it wasn't permanent. From the prices Id been seeing and the people jumping high I thought they didn't run out. Shame. Dont see the point in them since they aren't forever.

Killed Earl again. Guess Ill hit the kitchen and the bathroom up and then try to run that damn buggy Buried Treasure quest again before bedtime. Got lots of ammo this time.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:22 pm Found a vendor selling serums for 200. Usually I dont see them less than say 2000. So I grabbed a marsupial one and a speed demon one. I could jump higher, carry more, run faster, and reload faster than ever . Was real fun and side effects...the bad stuff...was suppressed. But it wasn't permanent. From the prices Id been seeing and the people jumping high I thought they didn't run out. Shame. Dont see the point in them since they aren't forever.

Killed Earl again. Guess Ill hit the kitchen and the bathroom up and then try to run that damn buggy Buried Treasure quest again before bedtime. Got lots of ammo this time.
They are permanent if you have the Starched Genes card under Luck equipped. Otherwise, they'll likely disappear when you use anything to get rid of rads.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:42 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:22 pm Found a vendor selling serums for 200. Usually I dont see them less than say 2000. So I grabbed a marsupial one and a speed demon one. I could jump higher, carry more, run faster, and reload faster than ever . Was real fun and side effects...the bad stuff...was suppressed. But it wasn't permanent. From the prices Id been seeing and the people jumping high I thought they didn't run out. Shame. Dont see the point in them since they aren't forever.

They are permanent if you have the Starched Genes card under Luck equipped. Otherwise, they'll likely disappear when you use anything to get rid of rads.
I was just getting ready to post that.

Daehawk, go back to where I explained mutations. Or the other place where I did. Or the other place. Starched Genes plus Class Freak is what lets you have permanent mutations. It's Class Freak that gets rid of the downsides, and Starched Genes that keeps them from disappearing. Put those cards on, leave them on, and take all the mutations you like. Half a dozen mutations give you a massive power boost across the board.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I thought I had my cards on but Im not jumping high any more. Ill recheck it tomorrow. Tired. Bedtime.

I finished the gold vault quest. Sided with the raiders fully. Got The Slug Buster unique legendary plasma rifle and assorted other legendary items for it all. Will check it all tomorrow. I hear the slug buster is very unique and you only get it if you are in good with ra-ra and the raiders like I was. So pretty cool. Not sure whats special about it. Again Im tired and a warm bed is calling.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:56 am I thought I had my cards on but Im not jumping high any more. Ill recheck it tomorrow. Tired. Bedtime.

I finished the gold vault quest. Sided with the raiders fully. Got The Slug Buster unique legendary plasma rifle and assorted other legendary items for it all. Will check it all tomorrow. I hear the slug buster is very unique and you only get it if you are in good with ra-ra and the raiders like I was. So pretty cool. Not sure whats special about it. Again Im tired and a warm bed is calling.
If you take Rad-X the mutations will be completely suppressed, diluted Rad-X is fine though. Not sure if there is anything else that will cause the mutations to not work, but I don't think so.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I'd forgotten about RadX suppressing them for the duration. That one really threw me off the first time (especially since I played a non-power armored character and relied on it quite a bit.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I started carrying my power armor around with me a long time. I got tired of having to go to base to retrieve it every time a public event popped up. It looks cool as its all x-01 and ultracite with the helm painted in that you get from the mine public. He looks like he is wearing a neon sign gold crown.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is my Halloween holiday attire. Its a enclave officers uniform and a Halloween skull mask. I wish I could find another enclave outfit for my companion Sofia but I have no idea where I got this one.

I think I look quite crisp and spiffy.
Enlarge Image

Saw a guy in power armor where his helmet was just a blue ghostly outline of a normal PA helmet. Was cool. Like an old Scooby Doo villain.

Here's an entire page of pics of unique power armors.

This SkellScream helmet is cool.
Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

OMG does anyone know whereto get Mystery Candy for the Halloween candy bowls? It shouldn't be this difficult. Only line says train vendors. Nope. Ive checked them all. Other sites say raiders vendor responder vendors brotherhood vendors in the the Whitespring mall...nope none of them sell it. Another site said vendors that sale pales and such. I looked up those vendors and went..no and they dont even have pales ...wtf. Where is this candy??>
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

"You've got no candy to add to this bowl. Go find some at vendors or on Spooky Scorched!"
"Thanks for trick or treating. Have a candy! Come back to this C.A.M.P. in an hour, feel free to visit others in the meantime!"
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yep I tried about 20 or the many vendors online said had it..none did. I tried 10 of the 20 or so known and listed spawn sites for spooky scorched...none were there. I killed tons of regular ones though. Kill so many I was able to replenish all my ammos and not buy any lol.

I give up. No halloween for me. I did eat some candy from other players camps that had the candy dish and bowl. I found that their camp has little pumpkin symbols on them on the main map so made it easy to find those. Now to see what the other symbols mean.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive stayed up until 2:30am doing all my treasure maps hoping to loot a Longshot sniper rifle. No go. Guess Ill have to hope I get lucky and get one in a mutant prize pack from a mutated event..those seem rare on their own.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Prime member get a birthday bundle freee. Some neat freebies like lamps and a bowling alley. Also a graduation cap.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks. I'll grab it for the next time I play.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hahaha I cant believe it. I got that big ole bowling alley wedged into my camp there on the grass by the stream of all places after 15 minutes of trying. Had to build a floor for it up on the rock above the camp. So cool. All mine. I must have the weirdest camp. Just stuff and no walls or buildings out by a stream.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just finished the BOS quest line with Dr Blackburn was it? Fun stuff. Got a full suit of Hellcat power armor. I love how the helmet slit glows red for the light. I stored it for now..my x-01 legendary mish mash is better. But that suit looks cooler.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is there some secret to making money Im missing in this game? Im constantly under 2000 caps or broke. Ive been making my money by collecting my purified water as I server jump looking for events and 50 water will net me like 300 caps. I take the legendary items I get from events and if I need cash i sell them for 100 and 200 caps if they are lower tier..high tier stuff that would only get me 50 caps or less I sell to the legendary machine for 40 and 45 gold.

But when Im selling stuff for caps at the store near the start and my camp or at railroad station vendor bots I can only make 1400 a day. Thats all they carry and they are all linked so one 50 miles away still has 50 caps if another one 50 miles away has 50 caps. Thats some BS right there but I guess they use it to manage the economy. SO I have to wait 24 hours for them to restock their money. And then do it all again.

Does no one else have money? What about traveling merchants? Are they locked into the same money stash? How else can I make caps? Events dont seem to give caps..gold yes caps no.

And yes I have a vendor..but my stash is constantly filled even when cleaned..theres a lot I dont want to part with..unique weapons and items and such. And no one buys stuff it seems anyways. And Im not on a server long enough now as I hop them for events. Im not there long enough for players to visit my camp. Im not getting caps through quests because Im basically out of main quests other than the Enclave wanting me to nuke stuff. Still not nuked a thing.

Kinda out of stuff to do now. May be near the end of my game playing time on this one. Been hella fun though and I still love being in that world.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:03 pm Is there some secret to making money Im missing in this game? Im constantly under 2000 caps or broke. Ive been making my money by collecting my purified water as I server jump looking for events and 50 water will net me like 300 caps. I take the legendary items I get from events and if I need cash i sell them for 100 and 200 caps if they are lower tier..high tier stuff that would only get me 50 caps or less I sell to the legendary machine for 40 and 45 gold.
I've explained it, but you didn't like the answer. 1) Have a build that focuses on a weapon so that it does more damage, and therefore eats less ammo. 2) spend a little time now and then farming for the resources to craft that particular kind of ammo. 3) Have a 'crafting spec' that switches out your perk cards for the ones that give you more ammo when you craft. 4) Between the extra damage from your weapons meaning that enemies aren't alive to damage you as much, pick perks that boost your defenses and mutations that heal you so that you're using fewer stimpacks. 5) When you do sell, make it things like booze, extra supplies you'll never use (I used to sell stimpacks by the dozen), and pre-war food, and sell while under the effects of a maxed out +sell price perk plus some +Charisma boosts (a beer is usually good for the +Cha.)

Do all that and you don't need money for much of anything, and the rewards you get will give you a steady increase.

For some perspective, I was lower level than you when I quit, and was running the same content. I'd almost always come back from a session with more caps, ammo, and stimpacks than when I started.

You don't have to play the game the way the developers intended, of course (which includes focused builds.) But the trade off is that the balance (including things like money, ammo, and supplies) is likely going to be way off, as they balance on the assumption that you're playing a certain way.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats too much micro'n it. Im not THAT into it. :) Guess Ill leave it as is. Im doing fine btw. Im like lvl 120. I saw some guys in an event last nite like lvl 1400 and even one 2200 lol. He could shoot stuff wit ha silent bullet gun 1 time and it died. Not sure what the fun is at that point but he was still at it.

I really would love a good gun. I cant find one or make one that does more than about 120 damage. Yet I see pics of people with guns that do 300+ and one shot stuff.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's not 'micro', that's playing a game based on skills by using the skills, the same way as if you were playing Diablo, or an MMO, or any other game with builds. You don't have to have a super-optimized build, but you do need a build for them if you expect them play well. It's like playing a strategy game by recruiting random units and just throwing them at the enemy until you win vs actually having a plan and letting your archers weaken them while your cavalry flanks.
Im doing fine btw.
The frustration, anger, and confusion in your posts suggests otherwise.
Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:39 pm I really would love a good gun. I cant find one or make one that does more than about 120 damage. Yet I see pics of people with guns that do 300+ and one shot stuff.
Are you aware that some of the most powerful legendaries can only be crafted, and that others must be crafted by the player before they can be found in the wild?

Are you fully modding the ones you have with the best possible mods with maxed out crafting perks? Are the ones you're seeing being shown by people who have perks that boost their damage? Because if you have, say, all nine rifleman perks and you pick up a gun that does 120 damage, it'll show as 192 damage when you look at it (or screenshot it, or record it.)

The crazy high damage guns you see people with are usually the result of an optimized build combined with them taking the time to farm the perfect weapon (likely by finding dozens, exchanging them all for scrip, buying new ones for said scrip, exchanging those, and repeating.) They then maximize every component with maxed leveling perks and reroll every legendary perk until they have the ideal combination. It takes them a long, long, long time, a little good luck, and a good understanding of how the game system works. Now and then someone may get lucky and find a near-perfect weapon in a fight, but that's not how most people get them.

Fallout 76 is a fairly complex game, and getting the best stuff out of it requires a moderate amount of research and work (just like any MMO - go into World of Warcraft and try the end game without an understanding of the mechanics or any thought toward your skills and you'll find it tedious, slow, and frustrating with few rewards.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well crap now Ive been hit with the gatlin plasma ammo bug. My 3 star legendary holds 500 and fires a long ass time. But I wanted to improve the damage so I modded it. But it seemed less good to me so I put it back the way it was. Now it shows 500 capacity but when I reload a new core into it it only loads like 36 or so. Tested it and yep those fire then needs a reload..over and over. Damnit.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You mean the bug that's been screwing over players' gear for several years, but which the don't bother to fix?

That kind of crap was a big part of the reason that I walked away.
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

PSA: There is a free Fallout 1st trial this week. Even if you don't want to keep it, you can get the scrap box/ammo box and dump all your extra scrap and ammo and free up camp space. If you stop 1st you can't put anything in the boxes, but you can take stuff out.

F76 has a lot of bugs, but it is getting better generally. The biggest bug right now is that sometimes you have no energy resistance and then robots are incredibly lethal (getting one-shotted by a Mr. Handy with a flamer for example).

I haven't run in to the gatling plasma bug as yet, but I don't use them very much. I do carry them around just in case. They're pretty light with the Bear Arms perk or the 90% weapon weight legendary effect.

On other subjects:

The best way to get money at high level is to kill things and sell their weapons. Get the Hard Bargain perk and swap it in when you sell. You can get 25-35 caps for many guns. That adds up pretty fast if you are killing a lot of things. Often I will have maxed out my 1400 caps/day and have leftover weapons which I store for the next day. In fact, it can get annoying when you've started up and 5 minutes in you've maxed out your caps for the day from the leftovers.

The best way to get decent (not god-roll) weapons is to be patient and shop around. Look for guns that compliment your build. If you see something at a reasonable price that is better than what you have, buy it. I haven't rolled many weapons, but over the (embarrassing amount of) time I've played F76 I've gotten good guns for all my toons and a decent PA set for each just by patiently shopping.

In order to kill stuff efficiently you need a good build. I almost quit F76 until I started playing a Stealth Bloody Commando VATS build. With Unyielding armor and a Bloodied Fixer and Handmade you can kill stuff pretty efficiently. The game is dropping more contextual ammo nowadays, so you will need to craft ammo occasionally but it's easier than before. Daily Ops and Expeditions in particular drop lots of ammo, lots of players do them just for that.

Stealth Bloodied Commando is very ammo-efficient. Sneak Attacks do +100% damage (or more with perks). Bloodied weapons give you another 70-80% damage at low health. VATS shots to the head or vulnerable body parts do more damage. VATS criticals add another +100% damage (or more with perks). These add up quickly and don't take a lot of work to get once your build is set up. I wouldn't be playing the game now unless I had tried a bloodied build - everything is a bullet sponge.

https://www.falloutbuilds.com/fo76/builds/commando/ has some examples.
The ones at the top are candidates, not what I run but they are examples.
If you are interested I could probably make one of those with my build.

If you want to do even more (which Daehawk might not), you can add even more damage. A VATS Critical build with Critical Savvy 3 and 33 luck (which you can get from 15 luck, legendary luck, and Unyielding armor) will allow you to do a VATS crit every 2 shots (PSA: you can hold the crit key down all the time while you shoot). Blight Soup gives you 100-125% more critical damage. Best of all, Critical damage bypasses armor.

Finally, crafting ammo. Tag lead and copper as important materials so you can know what to loot. There are some good places to farm lead.
https://aridenkane.com/fallout-76-how-t ... locations/
If you really want to not worry about ammo, the Fallout 1st is super helpful. I have 5k-6k lead in my scrap box and that's just for one toon.
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

This is my current build:
https://www.falloutbuilds.com/fo76/plan ... nkCeUJ3gkA

I'm still tweaking it (which Is why I just set it up on the Web site), but I'm pretty happy with it.

Once you get it set up and have Bloodied weapons/Unyielding armor, it's low maintenance and shreds most enemies quickly.
Back at base? Swap in Hard Bargain to sell stuff or use another Special loadout.

Until you get up to L300 or so you won't have the big legendary perks. Get Ammosmith and Master Infiltrator right away and don't level them up, then level up Legendary Intelligence and Legendary Luck as you can. They give you more perk cards. I have 10 more perk cards than I could normally run because of them.

There's a double XP weekend coming up November 9 - 15

Daehawk, if you are on PC, let me know, I can probably scrounge up some serums and maybe some starting guns/armor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I spent a lot of time over the last couple days farming treat bags off spooky ghouls at the dam. I use my Burning Love bow for them. One shot and its quiet. Love that thing.

Noticed on a few queen scorchbeast runs yesterday that theres a lot of legendary spooky ghouls spawn with her fight.

I dont recall ever getting anything great from those treat bags but I hear theres always a chance. Besides its like opening presents and is a surprise and I love that feeling. Its a wonder I didn't become an addicted gambler lol.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Man Fallout 1st is so handy. Its on free trial like he said so I built a ammo box and scrap box. SO damn handy. Freed up a ton of space in my stash. Thats a nasty mean way for Bethesda to make money off someone though. I wont pay for it after the trial. But I moved all my stuff into those boxes so after its over they will still be there and I can get my stuff out as needed just cant put it back.

If they are gonna charge u for this it really should be like $5 a month not $13.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:21 pm Man Fallout 1st is so handy. Its on free trial like he said so I built a ammo box and scrap box. SO damn handy. Freed up a ton of space in my stash. Thats a nasty mean way for Bethesda to make money off someone though. I wont pay for it after the trial. But I moved all my stuff into those boxes so after its over they will still be there and I can get my stuff out as needed just cant put it back.

If they are gonna charge u for this it really should be like $5 a month not $13.

Store all of the stuff you can right now - it won't disappear when the trial ends, but you won't be able to add to the ammo/scrap box (only take things out.)

As far as the price... $15/month has been the standard for live MMOs since World of Warcraft established it as viable almost 20 years ago. And Fallout 76 is absolutely an MMO. You get a lot more than just a couple of boxes - 1,650 atoms per month, a portable shelter with a bed/stove/scrap box/storage that you can plop down wherever you like, extra freebies from the main menu, and the ability to create private worlds and servers where you can mess with the settings (like gravity, or infinite ammo, or whatever you like - but it's got to be a separate character.)
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:46 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:21 pm Man Fallout 1st is so handy. Its on free trial like he said so I built a ammo box and scrap box. SO damn handy. Freed up a ton of space in my stash. Thats a nasty mean way for Bethesda to make money off someone though. I wont pay for it after the trial. But I moved all my stuff into those boxes so after its over they will still be there and I can get my stuff out as needed just cant put it back.

Store all of the stuff you can right now - it won't disappear when the trial ends, but you won't be able to add to the ammo/scrap box (only take things out.)

As far as the price... $15/month has been the standard for live MMOs since World of Warcraft established it as viable almost 20 years ago. And Fallout 76 is absolutely an MMO. You get a lot more than just a couple of boxes - 1,650 atoms per month, a portable shelter with a bed/stove/scrap box/storage that you can plop down wherever you like, extra freebies from the main menu, and the ability to create private worlds and servers where you can mess with the settings (like gravity, or infinite ammo, or whatever you like - but it's got to be a separate character.)
Yeah, Fallout 1st is addictive. Just like the ESO equivalent. I can't see playing without them.

The atoms are good, but what really makes it is the survival tent, especially if you get one with the scrapbox and ammobox. There is one in the current scoreboard, but you have to get to rank 62 IIRC. That tent is awesome.

You also get an extra scoreboard daily challenge, and an extra challenge re-roll per day. This is also helpful.

The private servers are good for using your alts as mules. Start up a server, go to a place with a 0 weight chest (there's one in the trailer next to the Wayward, or there's one at Nuka World) put your stuff in, start up your alt/mule, grab the stuff. The private server lasts for about 5 minutes when nobody is home. I have lost stuff during this because of a network outage, but it's relatively safe. It's not as safe as having a second Fallout account on a second PC or console, but it's relatively safe.

Private worlds (which don't share progression with your character) are good for practicing building. You pick out a spot, import your character into a private world, and then practice building your camp without wasting resources. Then you go back to the real world once you know what you want to do. It's kind of a pain, but it's nice for checking out a building spot and/or refining techniques.

Remember that if you have any ranks in the scoreboard that have Fallout 1st-only rewards, you can grab them even if you didn't have FO 1st at the time. Grab all the freebies also.

As for Spooky Scorched, you get a candy when you grab one from a bowl, you can buy them from train station vendors (only), and you get them for killing Spooky Scorched. I tend to farm the Morgantown Airport and the Morgantown Trainyard. Events which spawn scorched are good also.

This site has a ton of good guides https://www.theduchessflame.com/post/sp ... vent-guide
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

One thing people do with Fallout 1st is buy a month, grind all the scrap/ammo they can, and then let it lapse.

This is particularly helpful with flux, which is super heavy at 1 pound each. I always buy flux if it is <= 100 caps a piece and throw it in my stash box. I probably have 1k of each type of flux scattered among my toons. This is only possible with the stash box.

If you wait until close to the end of a scoreboard, you can get Fo1st, grab all the scoreboard Fo1st goodies, then go into the next scoreboard and grab the scoreboard goodies there until it lapses. If you play a lot (or grind XP super efficiently), you can do an entire scoreboard in a month, especially if there is a double XP/double score weekend

BTW, there is a Double XP/double score event coming up November 9 - 15. Alas the free Fo1st expires before that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I never pay monthly for these Bethesda games. Get plenty of fun without it. I do plan to return to ESO some soon'ish. I miss that world. It was so fun. But having a break has been fun in FO76. I will look to see what perks you get with ESO monthly. Didn't know there were any other than guild and crafting and maybe stash space stuff. Im not into guilds and crafting at all but if theres other stuff it might be fun.

I still think Id like Hogwarts even though Ive not seen the movies. Do know a lot from the carious youtube clips and such.Gleaned the story and stuff.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:49 pm I will look to see what perks you get with ESO monthly.
It's basically the same as you get in FO76.
Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:49 pm
I still think Id like Hogwarts even though Ive not seen the movies. Do know a lot from the carious youtube clips and such.Gleaned the story and stuff.
...or just watch the movies.

Or, better yet, read the books.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Wait.. is AC in the game?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

The next season, starting Dec. 5, will have expeditions to AC.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive never ran an expedition as not having the pitt makes it tough. Always wondered what they are.
5 years..doesn't seem it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:01 am Ive never ran an expedition as not having the pitt makes it tough. Always wondered what they are.
5 years..doesn't seem it.
How do you not have The Pitt? It's built in.