[Film] Spider-Man: Spider-Verse series (animated)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

disarm

Re: [Film] Spider-Man: Spider-Verse series (animated)

Post by disarm »

I just got back from 'Across the Spiderverse' and really don't know what to say without giving too much away, but holy crap is it awesome. The first movie is arguably the best Spiderman movie ever made (or best superhero movie for that matter), and I really didn't think they could top it, but this one does in a lot of ways. The art style was already incredible in the first movie, but all the things they do for different universes and Spidermen this time around is mind-blowing...so much creativity packed onto the screen in every second. It's also overflowing with references (mostly visual, but also a lot of one-off spoken lines) to pretty much every previous Spiderman movie and so many of the comics that I really want to see it again just to catch more of what I almost certainly missed.

'Across the Spiderverse' isn't just pretty fan service though. The plot and character arcs for Miles and Gwen are so well done, taking the personalities from the first movie and pushing them in amazing new directions. I really can't say enough about how awesome this movie is, from the insanely creative opening scene to the epic sort-of ending. The final part of this storyline due next year can't come soon enough.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya we watched it last night and I loved it. I could argue that the first one was more entertaining in a laugh out loud way. Visually this murders pretty much anything that has ever been created. It's ridiculous.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:33 am Ya we watched it last night and I loved it. I could argue that the first one was more entertaining in a laugh out loud way. Visually this murders pretty much anything that has ever been created. It's ridiculous.
I agree. The movie and story are all around great, but visually it was stunning. And what was so great about it is that just visually it really feels like they created a living comic book in a way that I don't recall ever seeing before.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

All this love for the visuals--the first one was also incredible. Are you all saying it's like that, or even better? Cause my tiny lizard mind can't fathom it being significantly better.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:27 pm All this love for the visuals--the first one was also incredible. Are you all saying it's like that, or even better? Cause my tiny lizard mind can't fathom it being significantly better.
I was wondering this. I recall really liking the visuals from the first one but not being as blown away as I was with this movie. The big caveat on that is that I didn't see the first one in the theatres, so possible that's the difference.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

looks like i won't be waiting for this to show up on disney plus. sounds like a "see it in the theater, damn it!" kind of film.
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

They did something in this one that makes it look even better. It is flat out ridiculous and I have no idea how they created all of it. I can't even imagine what that movie will look like on a good OLED. The colors are insane...
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

disarm

Post by disarm »

Zaxxon wrote:All this love for the visuals--the first one was also incredible. Are you all saying it's like that, or even better? Cause my tiny lizard mind can't fathom it being significantly better.
It really is better... style, color, the level of detail. Visually, everything about this movie is way off the charts and beyond what the last movie established.

There is one particular Spider-character that has the craziest, most creative animation design yet. Minor spoilers just because it's a cool surprise when this version of Spiderman appears that you may not want to ruin. If you've seen the movie, I'm going to point out something about what they did to make him so cool that was detailed in an interview with one of the directors...
Spoiler:
Spider Punk (Hobie) was designed to look like the images on classic punk rock posters and zines from the late 70s and 80s. His appearance constantly flickers between different hand-drawn, paper cutout, poster-style images both when he's in motion and standing still. On top of that, they animated his body and head at a different frame rate than his jacket so the flickering images are slightly out of sync, giving him a more chaotic appearance that matches his personality.
Just like the first film, it's a crazy amount of attention and detail going into every frame for visuals that happen so quickly that most people won't even notice. Amazing stuff.

I'm looking forward to videos on YouTube of people breaking down the visuals like the last movie because I'm sure there's so much more going on than I could ever notice on my own.

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

My wife and I really liked this but hated the ending because
Spoiler:
less of a spoiler and more of a warning... it's to be continued. I did not know that going in
One thing is that whenever we were on Miles earth it was very fuzzy. Almost like it was supposed to be 3d. It gave us a headache. Not sure if that was intentional or if it was just out of focus.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Octavious wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:26 pm They did something in this one that makes it look even better. The colors are insane...
Microdosing your snacks

Enlarge Image
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
disarm

Post by disarm »

Punisher wrote:My wife and I really liked this but hated the ending because
Spoiler:
less of a spoiler and more of a warning... it's to be continued. I did not know that going in
One thing is that whenever we were on Miles earth it was very fuzzy. Almost like it was supposed to be 3d. It gave us a headache. Not sure if that was intentional or if it was just out of focus.
The blurriness/double image is a visual trick carried over from Miles' world in the first movie. There are a lot of nods to the appearance of printed comics in that universe (half tone shading/color being another big one). The blurry areas are meant to look like mis-aligned printing that was typical in older print comics and are usually in the periphery to force your focus to more important areas.

While some people find some of these stylistic details distracting, everything on screen is very deliberate.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Variety
“Across the Spider-Verse” will push its North American earnings beyond $200 million on Saturday. In just eight days of release, the film has already surpassed the final $190 million domestic gross earned by its 2018 predecessor “Into the Spider-Verse” — and it doesn’t show any signs of slowing down.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I saw the first one in the theater 3 times. Guess that wasn't enough.
Isgrimnur

Re: [Film] Spider-Man: Into the SpiderVerse - Dec 14, 2018

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:02 pm More, please.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Holy SHIT this was good. I just got out of a sold-out Sunday night screening, and damn. So much more exciting and character-focused than I could have hoped for.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
The Direct
Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse's release date is set for March 29, 2024, which is 301 days after Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse's theatrical premiere on June 2, 2023.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

AWS260 wrote:Holy SHIT this was good. I just got out of a sold-out Sunday night screening, and damn. So much more exciting and character-focused than I could have hoped for.
Everything you just said except I saw it Sunday afternoon. Just an excellent movie that entertains in more ways than I thought possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Brian

Post by Brian »

Dramatist wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:35 am
AWS260 wrote:Holy SHIT this was good. I just got out of a sold-out Sunday night screening, and damn. So much more exciting and character-focused than I could have hoped for.
Everything you just said except I saw it Sunday afternoon. Just an excellent movie that entertains in more ways than I thought possible.
Also same. We saw the Sunday matinee so there was probably no more than 12 people in the theater.

Which is probably a good thing since when it cut to black and the words "To Be Continued" appeared I literally shouted, "Are you fucking KIDDING ME?!"

I had no idea it was going to be a two-parter.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My bladder was very thankful for those words.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:07 pm My bladder was very thankful for those words.
A friend introduced me to the RunPee app and I now I use it when I go to longer movies, or when I go to the theater that serves bladder-threatening beer. The people running the app screen movies and find a handful of optimum break times where you won't miss anything important. The app gives you a vibration notification when a break is coming up, tells you a line of dialogue to listen for as your cue to leave, and then gives you a timer countdown for when you want to try and be back in your seat.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:15 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:07 pm My bladder was very thankful for those words.
A friend introduced me to the RunPee app and I now I use it when I go to longer movies, or when I go to the theater that serves bladder-threatening beer. The people running the app screen movies and find a handful of optimum break times where you won't miss anything important. The app gives you a vibration notification when a break is coming up, tells you a line of dialogue to listen for as your cue to leave, and then gives you a timer countdown for when you want to try and be back in your seat.
:lol: That's insane.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Octavious wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:20 pm
:lol: That's insane brilliant.
FTFY
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'll be seeing it tomorrow with one of my offspring.
I've been using RunPee for years. In addition to the above, it also gives you a synopsis of what happens during the three or four minute break that you can read as you walk.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
MHS

Post by MHS »

We were in Michigan the weekend this came out, for Neal's dad's celebration of life. This last weekend, we had poker Friday and Saturday night and were recovering all day Sunday. So, I looked just now to see the showtimes for this weekend and it's not showing anywhere anymore! When did summer blockbusters get yanked from theaters after only 2.5 weeks? I'm sad. Usually, I am fine doing streaming but because the first one was so amazing visually, I really wanted to see this in a theater but even if we hadn't been so busy, I don't want to do crowded theaters because of the illness risk so I I probably would have waited anyway, but I guess that's a mistake.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

MHS wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:07 pm We were in Michigan the weekend this came out, for Neal's dad's celebration of life. This last weekend, we had poker Friday and Saturday night and were recovering all day Sunday. So, I looked just now to see the showtimes for this weekend and it's not showing anywhere anymore! When did summer blockbusters get yanked from theaters after only 2.5 weeks? I'm sad. Usually, I am fine doing streaming but because the first one was so amazing visually, I really wanted to see this in a theater but even if we hadn't been so busy, I don't want to do crowded theaters because of the illness risk so I I probably would have waited anyway, but I guess that's a mistake.
Did you look on Fandango or something? IIRC they won't put Showtimes up for a lot of movies for the weekend until closer to the weekend because the schedule's not set yet. Across The Spider-Verse still has a ton of showings in the Boston area, and I'd be surprised if it was much different between here and there.
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Cinemark app has showtimes through Wednesday. Showtimes for lots of other stuff on thursday and friday, but no spiderverse. A bit odd.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:18 pm
MHS wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:07 pm We were in Michigan the weekend this came out, for Neal's dad's celebration of life. This last weekend, we had poker Friday and Saturday night and were recovering all day Sunday. So, I looked just now to see the showtimes for this weekend and it's not showing anywhere anymore! When did summer blockbusters get yanked from theaters after only 2.5 weeks? I'm sad. Usually, I am fine doing streaming but because the first one was so amazing visually, I really wanted to see this in a theater but even if we hadn't been so busy, I don't want to do crowded theaters because of the illness risk so I I probably would have waited anyway, but I guess that's a mistake.
Did you look on Fandango or something? IIRC they won't put Showtimes up for a lot of movies for the weekend until closer to the weekend because the schedule's not set yet. Across The Spider-Verse still has a ton of showings in the Boston area, and I'd be surprised if it was much different between here and there.
Yep, AMC confirms that showtimes for next weekend will post by Wednesday afternoon. I had the same thought as MHS when I first checked Alamo for next weekend, but I think it's just too early.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Bunch of showings in Grand Rapids Michigan today. Saw it, loved it. Which is really something.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Check again.

It’s certainly still holding full time at a screen in Cinemark Century, Boulder.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:25 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:18 pm
Yep, AMC confirms that showtimes for next weekend will post by Wednesday afternoon. I had the same thought as MHS when I first checked Alamo for next weekend, but I think it's just too early.
Ah, good to know. Since it did show other movie times for next weekend, I assumed it was just yoinked. Thanks all!
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:38 am

Check again.

It’s certainly still holding full time at a screen in Cinemark Century, Boulder.
For today, yes, but when I look for this weekend, no. Hopefully, as others have suggested, they're just waiting until closer to the weekend to post the weekend times.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:25 pm Yep, AMC confirms that showtimes for next weekend will post by Wednesday afternoon. I had the same thought as MHS when I first checked Alamo for next weekend, but I think it's just too early.
AMC pretty much just has the new releases scheduled out for the weekend right now. It's pretty noticeable when you go to schedule for AMC 24, and there are only 4 movies on the list.

Spider-Man lost out to Transformers this week on most premium screens (we'll go see it tomorrow in their Dolby format but there were only a few showtimes left, and most of them pretty inconvenient unless you are a school kid on vacation). With The Flash and Elemental coming out this week (and Transformers still occupying screen real estate), I would expect Spider-Man to be relegated to a handful of morning and afternoon showings after Thursday.
Brian

Post by Brian »

MHS wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:53 am
For today, yes, but when I look for this weekend, no. .
Why did I just read this in Pippin's voice?

What about second showings? Matinee? Senior Discount? Afternoon screening?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

gilraen wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:11 pm I would expect Spider-Man to be relegated to a handful of morning and afternoon showings after Thursday.
I doubt that. We're only just past Spider-Man's second weekend and it's grossed over $225M domestically. It's not going to get relegated to matinee only status that quickly.
Hodor.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Brian wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:17 pm
MHS wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:53 am
For today, yes, but when I look for this weekend, no. .
Why did I just read this in Pippin's voice?

What about second showings? Matinee? Senior Discount? Afternoon screening?
:lol:
MHS

Post by MHS »

Tickets for a Sunday matinee purchased, yay!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

MHS wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:21 am Tickets for a Sunday matinee purchased, yay!
Is it a matinee if it starts before noon?

Just came back from seeing it with the kids. All of you calling the visuals stunning and heaping all the praise on the movie...

I never imagined how much you were under-selling it.

Wow.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

Yeah, I really don't know the words to do it justice.

The most visually detailed and dynamic animation ever put on screen?
Creativity beyond almost anything I've seen before?
Decades of Spiderman comics all alive on the screen at once?

It's hard to say too many amazing things about what they did, and I can't imagine what's in store for the final movie.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

That's interesting.

I mean, one must be superior - and some other inferior.