PC game The Walking Dead The Final Season

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Clem has grown up. Only played and finished the first one. I own some of the other games from them but not played them other than part 1 of Tales From the Badlands which was fun.

E3 trailer 2018

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scoop20906

Re: PC game The Walking Dead The Final Season

Post by Scoop20906 »

I still need to play the third one before I can get to this.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Welp. Telltale is shutting down. It was one of my favorite game studios and I played a ton of their games but the ton of bad press has been alarming. I loved the walking dead series and was super excited to see how they finished off Clem's story. Now it is looking like they will not even finish the game after releasing the first and second episodes.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... e#comments

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Oops, they were going to release the 2nd Episode on Tuesday, the 25th. I guess thats not happening now. I have not started the because I usually wait until all the episodes are out so I can power through it. I'm not sure I even want to start it now.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Telltale's The Walking Dead: The Final Season to be completed by Skybound Games
Following the abrupt layoffs of hundreds of Telltale employees two weeks ago, the company has reached a deal with Skybound Entertainment that will allow The Walking Dead: The Final Season to be completed. Skybound’s founder, Robert Kirkman, is also the original creator of The Walking Dead comics, so it seems a natural enough fit, but questions remain about what this will mean for the original workers.

The game will be taken over by Skybound’s internal game development wing, whose announcement is limited to a Tweet, embedded below, but according to Variety Kirkman also spoke about it at this weekend’s New York Comic Con, telling audiences “we can’t lose…Clementine.”

Per Variety’s article, a Skybound spokesperson also claimed that the company was looking to work with Telltale developers to finish the game, but that no details have been finalised.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow. Shots have been fired:
All future episodes of “Telltale’s The Walking Dead” on PC will be published on the Epic Games Store, Skybound Games announced Thursday. People who already bought the season on a different PC platform will still receive the final two episodes through their previous point of purchase.

The third episode of “Telltale’s The Walking Dead: The Final Season,” entitled Broken Toys, is set for a Jan. 15 release on Epic’s new online game store. Epic Games Store will also be host to the previous episodes of the season for those who want to buy it as well. The game will hit consoles on Jan. 15 as well.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I read that to say if you already bought it on steam you will get the final two epidodes still from steam, right?
Last edited by Scoop20906 on Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yup. Still a bold move.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

So there'll be no DRM-free gog.com's version?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:20 am So there'll be no DRM-free gog.com's version?
Probably not right away. I can't imagine a developer signing off exclusive rights to their game to a single distribution platform... unless that's the catch for a 12% cut instead of a 30% cut.

I also expect Steam is having executive meetings where they're rambling about "Value Add" and "Exposure" benefits in their services instead of "Cost Reduction" for developers. :roll:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Apparently the previous season, A New Frontier, is no longer available to purchase on Steam. Great. The other Telltale games are still there. As an obsessive completionist, I'd have paid full price for that and the final season on Steam not to have the series split between that platform and Epic. I'm assuming Epic has A New Frontier. I haven't even looked.
I have but one advocate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ending now, with the PC version only on Epic, unless you were a season pass purchaser on STEAM:
Telltale’s The Walking Dead: The Final Season - Episode 3 releases Jan 15, 2019. Existing Season Pass purchasers will get automatic access to Episodes 3 & 4 on Steam on their release date.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Has anyone finished this and glad they did? I am FINALLY getting to this final season, having played all the previous, and I am wondering if it's even worth the effort. Especially now seeing the issues they had with closing the doors, etc. while this season was trying to be finished. Ugh. I assume the last episode or two are terrible as a result?

One thing that I am not loving right out of the gate is the interface. Not sure what is different from previous games (because it's been so long), but it feels very off, and janky. Clunky if you will. Not sure I can handle several episodes of whatever this new UI is, but if the story is amazing, and for someone who's come this far with Clementine, if the payout is worth it, I will grit my teeth and plow on. :D
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Here is the review I posted:
It breaks my heart to down-vote the finale of this beloved series. My sentimentality doesn't want to. The writing is mostly spectacular and the visual style is better than ever, but works of media artistry deserve to be called out when the creators proudly declare that they don't understand the reason anyone would have consumed their series in its previous form for this long.

Quoting from the Steam page's description: "More Tension - A new over-the-shoulder camera system, greater freedom to explore detailed environments, and scenes of unscripted combat capture the fear of living in a world overrun by the undead." So after three previous seasons and two mini-seasons, what the games were lacking all along was lots more opportunities to die? Because there wasn't enough tension or immersion? Whoever decided that clearly didn't communicate with the team writing the dialogue between Clem and AJ because I was thrown back and forth between two different games by about the third hour in. The appeal has always been how they could make you feel like a failure because all choices were a trade-off of both good and bad consequences. No one asked to actually fail and reload more.

I'll make this clear. The new combat system breaks all the immersion, negates all the tension, and eliminates all of the gravity of consequences. It tries to turn quick-time events into some sort of actual tactical third-person action game as you try to aim at targets and not get surrounded. It attempts this with a button system that is only slightly more responsive than Dragon's Lair and an aiming mechanic that is like trying to ring a doorbell with a 10-foot cane pole. And it makes you do it a lot.

Before playing it, recall that in previous seasons, you messed up and saw your character get killed from a missed button maybe a half-dozen times. Each time, you thought "I really don't want that to happen again." Now imagine what it does to the flow of the narrative when you get to rewatch the same combat failure 20 or 30 times in one half-minute scene as Clem gets her throat ripped open over and over while you switch back and forth between keyboard and controller to see what will get you through another "unscripted" scripted zombie attack. Did the developers play the previous seasons? Did they play this one? Did they like what they'd added? This isn't Resident Evil and it sure as hell isn't Devil May Cry, so don't imagine that failing to see an enemy behind me or failing to get Clem to respond to my input adds to the enjoyment.

What I wanted was for Telltale not to die and to keep making games. For someone to make another Tales From the Borderlands too. Or at least for the Walking Dead finale to get out of Epic exclusive and join the rest of my collection in Steam. I was so happy that at least that happened and I'd be able to finish the series. And if the development of these four final episodes had acknowledged that excitement, with this dialogue and this story and without the piss-poor fight camera and fail-and-reload mechanics of a different game shoved into it, I'd be mildly criticizing a few story beats with spoiler alerts but giving it maybe a 9 out of 10.

As it is, I really do think you can leave off with season three, and that's a shame.
I have but one advocate.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, ok, so I’m guessing that switching to a controller won’t help the horrible ‘fights’?

I thought that might solve the issue (but considering I have successfully completed all the prior games in the series w/KB + mouse, kinda annoying).

I guess it’s just not worth the pain…I will find a YouTube play through with the major scenes so I can at least see how it all ends up.

If the horrible control ‘feel’ continues through all the episodes (and I can’t imagine it gets better since they shut down before finishing), I’d rather not play.