2018 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: 2018 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Skinypupy »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:12 am I believe this story because the media always gives a proper account of what happened ....
There was obviously a fight where this backup punter/whistleblower got beaten up. That is a rather simple fact to verify, and even the players admit that it happened.

Even if that fight had absolutely nothing to do with retribution for his whistleblowing actions (i.e. dude got beat up simply because he's a mouthy douche), the fact that this happened on the same day Durkin was reinstated speaks volumes to the overall culture of the program. The media reporting that the two were connected is mostly irrelevant, tbh.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

You saying it 'speaks volumes of the overall culture' speaks volumes to me of the confirmation bias that exists in this country. The same confirmation bias that got the University to reinstate someone who should of been fired, while the majority who knew better stood up to the problem too late. This fight shouldn't add anymore evidence to the 'toxic culture' any further than a police officer killing an armed black man adds to the problem of police violence. It only 'speaks volumes' to those who want it too.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

You've lost me here. Further evidence of something that should have already been obvious is useless because of confirmation bias?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here. That the whistleblower getting jumped the exact day Durkin returns means nothing because the culture was already so toxic? Or that him getting jumped was just a coincidence? Or that the media was making it up because...reasons?

Regardless, it appears that the Maryland football program is an utter shitshow for the foreseeable future. I can't imagine anyone actually sending their kid there to play.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:16 am You've lost me here. Further evidence of something that should have already been obvious is useless because of confirmation bias?
So if a policeman kills an armed black man it's evidence of police violence,regardless of the circumstances of the individual event?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:44 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:16 am You've lost me here. Further evidence of something that should have already been obvious is useless because of confirmation bias?
So if a policeman kills an armed black man it's evidence of police violence,regardless of the circumstances of the individual event?
Huh? We're not in a situation where we don't know the circumstances of the event. Unless you can demonstrate somehow that the reporting here is flawed, we know that this was done at least in part because of his whistleblower status.

And even if you show that the reporting was flawed, it's still not a good look for the program. Intra-squad fights usually seem to occur because of heated scrimmages or one-on-one drills. You don't have people generally beating up the backup punter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So you think this specific incident was not any sort of indicator that a toxic culture exists in the program, and was simply an isolated event that the media has chosen to blow out of proportion.

That about it?
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:50 am
So you think this specific incident was not any sort of indicator that a toxic culture exists in the program, and was simply an isolated event that the media has chosen to blow out of proportion.

That about it?
When everyone, including outspoken anti-Durkin players, blame the victim for the incident, I don't accept it as a foregone conclusion it was the result of a toxic culture. No one should, but they are. Thankfully this is just college football and not overly important, unless you live in Alabama and perhaps Texas.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

FWIW, I'm seeing a lot of players disputing the circumstances of the fight. It looks like it was the two punters fighting, and the starter (who did the whoopin') says it had nothing to do with whether or not the backup (the whoopee) was a whistleblower. There's apparently some video of the fight that might shed more light on the situation, but I'm no longer willing to say that this incident is evidence of Maryland's toxic culture. Not that there wasn't a toxic culture - just that this data point may not be indicative of it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Never a dull moment with the pirate.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

I'd just like to point out that Texas lost to Maryland. Wait...no I actually don't like doing that.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GungHo wrote:I'd just like to point out that Texas lost to Maryland. Wait...no I actually don't like doing that.
Does it make you ... crabby?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The running joke with Utah football is that we're cursed in November. 6 out of the 8 years we've been in the P12, we've entered the month in a position to contend for the conference title, and through injury or sheer boneheaded-ness, find a way to gack it up and lose. So predictably, the November curse struck again this afternoon. On top of getting absolutely hammered by ASU, Utah loses their starting QB for the season with a broken collarbone. It's amazing to think that the last time we had a QB start and finish the year was 2008. Our redshirt freshman backup looked completely lost, and our once-promising 4-star backup transferred out of the program a couple weeks ago. We're pretty much screwed from this point forward.

So for all intents and purposes, this season is done after today. We'll likely limp to a crappy bowl game and might find a way to get past BYU in the finale, but I have no expectations that we can win either of our last two conference games now that we're essentially playing without a QB.

Amazing how much one game can change things. This morning, Utah was a strong favorite to win the P12 South and finally get to the title game. We were playing the best football in the conference over the past month. After this game today, we'll be lucky if we find a way to come in 3rd or 4th in the South.

I fucking hate November. :grund:
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Ever since the Ohio State/Penn State game both schools have gone downhill. I now think Michigan should beat OSU. Of course that is a couple weeks away.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:04 pm Ever since the Ohio State/Penn State game both schools have gone downhill. I now think Michigan should beat OSU. Of course that is a couple weeks away.
Your ideas are intriguing to me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Please send me your bank account numbers and I will be glad to add you to my list of subscribers.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I don't see Michigan losing anymore games, I can see Notre Dame losing. Alabama and Clemson should win out. I think we'll end up with Alabama, Clemson, Michigan and ? Oklahoma? OR Alabama. Clemson, Notre Dame, Michigan. I'd love for Bama to play Notre Dame again but don't see it in the cards right now.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:The running joke with Utah football is that we're cursed in November. 6 out of the 8 years we've been in the P12, we've entered the month in a position to contend for the conference title, and through injury or sheer boneheaded-ness, find a way to gack it up and lose. So predictably, the November curse struck again this afternoon. On top of getting absolutely hammered by ASU, Utah loses their starting QB for the season with a broken collarbone. It's amazing to think that the last time we had a QB start and finish the year was 2008. Our redshirt freshman backup looked completely lost, and our once-promising 4-star backup transferred out of the program a couple weeks ago. We're pretty much screwed from this point forward.

So for all intents and purposes, this season is done after today. We'll likely limp to a crappy bowl game and might find a way to get past BYU in the finale, but I have no expectations that we can win either of our last two conference games now that we're essentially playing without a QB.

Amazing how much one game can change things. This morning, Utah was a strong favorite to win the P12 South and finally get to the title game. We were playing the best football in the conference over the past month. After this game today, we'll be lucky if we find a way to come in 3rd or 4th in the South.

That loss is 100% on the idiotic game plan. Only 18 carries for Moss? WTF? After watching you just grind us into the ground last week, and going against the 3-3-5, which is most vulnerable to getting pounded up the middle, and Moss averaged over 7 yards a carry. And then you lose you're starting qb, and you keep passing the ball?

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

As to UCLA against Oregon in Chip Kelly's return. What a frustrating game. We outplayed Oregon on both offense and defense and get blown out. Why?

27 points given away by bad special teams play:

Punt return TD
Missed tackle short of the line to gain on fake FG for a touchdown
Muffed punt inside the 10 leading to easy TD
False start on 51 yd FG to end the half, 56 yd FG just short
Bad snap on FG over the holder's head

27 points. Arrrgh.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:05 pm
Skinypupy wrote:The running joke with Utah football is that we're cursed in November. 6 out of the 8 years we've been in the P12, we've entered the month in a position to contend for the conference title, and through injury or sheer boneheaded-ness, find a way to gack it up and lose. So predictably, the November curse struck again this afternoon. On top of getting absolutely hammered by ASU, Utah loses their starting QB for the season with a broken collarbone. It's amazing to think that the last time we had a QB start and finish the year was 2008. Our redshirt freshman backup looked completely lost, and our once-promising 4-star backup transferred out of the program a couple weeks ago. We're pretty much screwed from this point forward.

That loss is 100% on the idiotic game plan. Only 18 carries for Moss? WTF? After watching you just grind us into the ground last week, and going against the 3-3-5, which is most vulnerable to getting pounded up the middle, and Moss averaged over 7 yards a carry. And then you lose you're starting qb, and you keep passing the ball?

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Once the backup came in, ASU was simply loading the box and bringing 8-9 guys every play to stop the run. Our freshman QB had no idea what to do. They should have adjusted with some short slants, but I think the team just sorta panicked. Bad play calling for sure, but somewhat understandable.

Wouldn’t have mattered though, Harry (who is just a beast) had his way with our defense all day long.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

So, you're telling me there's a chance...

In our ongoing attempt to cover every permutation for the division races — we’ve touched on the North and taken a deep dive into the South already this week — let us address an event that is neither likely nor incomprehensible.

I can get UCLA into the Rose Bowl in four steps.

That’s right. UCLA, the team that has seven losses and is ineligible for the postseason, could still make the Rose Bowl.

1. The Bruins defeat Arizona State, USC and Stanford to finish 5-4.

They are underdogs this week in Tempe, will assuredly be dogs against the Trojans and could be in the finale, too. But the line is thin. Because each opponent has proven vulnerable, it wouldn’t take much uptick in performance for the Bruins to win any of the three. Or all three.

2. Colorado loses to Washington State or at Cal to finish no better than 4-5.

3. Utah, which is without starting quarterback Tyler Huntley (broken collarbone), loses to Oregon and Colorado to finish 4-5.

4. Arizona loses at Washington State to finish no better than 5-4.

The most unlikely step, by far, is the first one. But if results unfold in that fashion, the Bruins would be 5-4 and own head-to-head victories over any other teams that could finish 5-4 (Arizona, ASU and USC).

They would win that South with a 5-7 overall record and face the North champ in the title game.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

RB Zack Moss - who was well ahead of pace to set Utah's single season rushing record - tore his MCL in practice yesterday, and is done for the year. That's our starting QB and starting RB (representing 84% of our entire offensive output for the year) both gone in a week, and the 2018 season is now toast.

Seriously, November...what the fuck?? :evil:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Look at the bright side. You now have a lot more free time on Saturdays.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'll admit that I'm now a little interested to see if we can beat BYU with our back-ups.
Chrisoc13

2018 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Skinypupy wrote:I'll admit that I'm now a little interested to see if we can beat BYU with our back-ups.
Haha oh there's no way BYU wins this year. Well I mean sure I would love a BYU win but I'm fairly certain BYU doesn't beat Utah while sitake is the coach. It doesn't matter how much offensive production you lose. The problem is BYU has no offense and Utah still has a defense. We can't score.

Sucks about the injuries. Very frustrating as a fan. Been there too many times.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So is the kickoff fair catch rule something new this year?

It seems some teams live by it while others never use it.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scuzz wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:05 pm So is the kickoff fair catch rule something new this year?

Yes, it's new this year.

Earlier in the year, Coach Whit said that they did some significant analysis from teams across the country over last summer, and the data showed that taking a fair catch on a kickoff provided an extra 3.3 yards of field position (might not be exact, but something along those lines) and less potential for turnovers. Those metrics significantly outweighed the potential for a big play on a kickoff, so Utah now does a fair catch on any field-able kickoffs. Seems like a smart move.

Fun game against Oregon last night. Our backup QB and RB played far better than anyone expected, and while the game was far closer than it should have been (we had 1st and goal inside the 5 three times, and only came away with field goals), getting a win in that situation was huge. Mrs. Skinypupy couldn’t go, so I took Little B 9.6. She had an absolute blast, telling me at one point that after Christmas and Halloween, going to a Utah game was her favorite day of the year. The cotton candy, hot chocolate, churros, and Twix bar we consumed might have had something to do with that opinion. :)

Our win and the USC loss to Cal (ha!) makes the P12 South race pretty interesting in the last two weeks:

- Arizona State: Win at Oregon and at Arizona, they're the P12 South champs. Seems like a tall order for a team that hasn’t been good on the road, but the extra motivation will likely help.
- Utah: Win at Colorado and ASU loses one of their two remaining, we're the P12 South champs.
- Arizona: Win at Wazzu and home against ASU, both ASU and Utah lose out, they're champs.

I fully expected to be eliminated last night with a loss, and am thrilled to still be in the hunt. CU scares me though. I realize they've lost 6 straight, but are getting Shenault back and will be fighting for bowl eligibility. Add in the fact that Utah has this nasty habit of stepping on their dicks at the worst possible moment when November rolls around, and it makes me really nervous.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:56 pm
Scuzz wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:05 pm So is the kickoff fair catch rule something new this year?

Yes, it's new this year.

Earlier in the year, Coach Whit said that they did some significant analysis from teams across the country over last summer, and the data showed that taking a fair catch on a kickoff provided an extra 3.3 yards of field position (might not be exact, but something along those lines) and less potential for turnovers. Those metrics significantly outweighed the potential for a big play on a kickoff, so Utah now does a fair catch on any field-able kickoffs. Seems like a smart move.
I watched most of the USC/Cal game last night. Cal was basically fair catching most kickoffs. Their guy did bobble one though around the 5 yard line and because he dropped, and recovered the ball, that is where Cal started from.

And yes, it does seem to be a team to team thing based on the coaches choice.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:54 am Image
Ouchy crawl.

Edit:
Spoiler:
Oh, looks like it was taped.
Louisville football coach Bobby Petrino was fired on Sunday morning less than 30 minutes after he taped his weekly coaches show at a local television station.

According to a source, the dismissal came during a 15-minute meeting with athletic director Vince Tyra.
Still...
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lassr wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:36 am I don't see Michigan losing anymore games, I can see Notre Dame losing. Alabama and Clemson should win out. I think we'll end up with Alabama, Clemson, Michigan and ? Oklahoma? OR Alabama. Clemson, Notre Dame, Michigan. I'd love for Bama to play Notre Dame again but don't see it in the cards right now.
I think the calculus has changed a lot in the last two weeks, beginning the drubbing of LSU and then followed by Oklahoma not making a huge splash.

I don't see ND losing the path is set for Alabama, Clemson, ND and Michigan making ILB a happy predictor against me and my belief that the mass of unlikely's together make a likely.

Oklahoma (winning out) kicks Michigan out in the event that Michigan most likely loss comes to Ohio State which is looking less and less likely.
Alabama kicks Michigan out by virtue of losing to Georgia but still claiming a play off birth because ratings.
Clemson and ND should have matters in hand.

Oklahoma seemed like a team superior enough make Michigan feel like ND needed representation over the Big 10 but close games and no defense in that last two weeks I think have taken them off the table without help from Ohio State.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:34 pm Alabama kicks Michigan out by virtue of losing to Georgia but still claiming a play off birth because ratings.
If Michigan misses out on the playoffs, it will not be due to ratings considerations. Even buying into the conspiracy theory that ratings are somehow driving the selection committee (and I don't buy it), Michigan with its massive fanbase and alumni count and Jim Harbaugh and Chase Winovich's hair would be a ratings bonanza. If ratings drove these things, you'd see them trying to weasel a 2-loss Michigan team into the playoff.

Saturday's game against Rutgers was not very exciting, but it was interesting. With backup QB Dylan McCaffrey out with a broken collarbone, they were taking no chances with Patterson. It was the most pass-heavy effort I've seen from him, and he had 0 carries. Hopefully we'll see that again against Indiana this weekend so that Patterson comes in fully healthy against OSU and the backups can play the full second half.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

If Michigan misses out, it will be because they lost.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Will be great to see a Michigan - OSU game with national championship implications.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:15 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:34 pm Alabama kicks Michigan out by virtue of losing to Georgia but still claiming a play off birth because ratings.
If Michigan misses out on the playoffs, it will not be due to ratings considerations. Even buying into the conspiracy theory that ratings are somehow driving the selection committee (and I don't buy it), Michigan with its massive fanbase and alumni count and Jim Harbaugh and Chase Winovich's hair would be a ratings bonanza. If ratings drove these things, you'd see them trying to weasel a 2-loss Michigan team into the playoff.

Saturday's game against Rutgers was not very exciting, but it was interesting. With backup QB Dylan McCaffrey out with a broken collarbone, they were taking no chances with Patterson. It was the most pass-heavy effort I've seen from him, and he had 0 carries. Hopefully we'll see that again against Indiana this weekend so that Patterson comes in fully healthy against OSU and the backups can play the full second half.
Not discounting Michigan here because they look good, no question. And fully deserve a playoff spot if they win out, but...when was the last time they beat Ohio state? Is it even still called 'The Game' or just 'another Ohio St win'? 😜

I assume we're done discounting ALA blowouts over bad teams now...that team is just filthy. They could always lose a game because, well, college football but man are they good.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

GungHo wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:54 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Not discounting Michigan here because they look good, no question. And fully deserve a playoff spot if they win out, but...when was the last time they beat Ohio state? Is it even still called 'The Game' or just 'another Ohio St win'? 😜

I assume we're done discounting ALA blowouts over bad teams now...that team is just filthy. They could always lose a game because, well, college football but man are they good.
Don't make me come down there and fight you. :tjg: We beat them in 2011, which concluded a two year run of technically not losing to them, since they had to vacate the 2010 win due to them being dirty, rotten, no-good cheaters. I, of course, started rooting for Michigan during the John Cooper years, otherwise known as the Glory Days. I'm hoping we're seeing a start of the tilt toward that direction again. As to whether it's still a rivalry, I don't think either fan base will ever tire of thumping the other. I know we didn't get bored with it during the Glory Days, and given the venom directed at Michigan from the OSU fan base these days, they're obviously still not tired of it.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I am hoping and praying that Michigan wins out and makes the Final Four. Over the last few weeks I've become very fond of the possibility of an Alabama/Clemson/Notre Dame/Michigan playoff. The Winningest team in College Football history, the Most Storied team, the Best Team, and the Hot New Kid on the Block. Awesome! :P
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Apollo wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:08 pm The Winningest team in College Football history, the Most Storied team, the Best Team
But enough about Michigan . . . :P