[Here we go again] Divinity II: Enhanced

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hepcat

[Here we go again] Divinity II: Enhanced

Post by hepcat »

I do believe that from now on, I won't install any games from Larian Studios until the enhanced edition comes out a few months after the initial release.

Which is what's happening with Divinity II.
The "Best RPG in years" (PC Gamer) receives a full makeover, including – but not limited to – the following exciting additions and tweaks:

New intuitive user-interface tailored for controllers
Dynamic split-screen for co-op
Fully voiced and remastered dialogs with AAA-actors
Hours of new content; quests, combat-styles, locations, changes to the crafting system and a reworked storyline breathe new life into the already expansive world of Rivellon.

These are just a few of the many features and additions coming with Divinity: Original Sin – Enhanced Edition, to be revealed later!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the release. I also appreciate the fact that they give these away to anyone who owns the original editions. I just have about 20 hours in the game and I'll probably start all over again to get all the goodies. I did that with the original Divinity.

Ah well, I guess in the realm of problems, this one is a good one. :D
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Re: [Here we go again] Divinity II: Enhanced

Post by Skinypupy »

I was thinking about giving this another go, but will wait for this version.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I bought Divinity awhile ago and got about 10 hours in, and then realized that it was NOT Divinity II that I was playing. I feel like they should give me a copy of Divinity II: Enhanced, as they clearly knew that that's what I meant to buy.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Restarted Divinity OS 2 after the "Definitive Edition" patch dropped last week. The changes they've made (especially the "Combat for Dummies" difficulty level) have been fantastic. I quit the original about 8 hours in (end of Chapter 1) because I was getting my ass absolutely handed to me even at the lowest difficulty, and this version allows me to experience a fantastic world and story without as much frustration. I'm already well into Chapter 2 this time around, and am having a blast. The reworked questline and some of the UI elements are very good changes as well.

Really glad I gave it another go. This is the first of the recent spate of CRPG's that has kept my interest past the 8-9 hour mark. :wub:
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Do you need to restart to activate the updates?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

baelthazar wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:51 pm Do you need to restart to activate the updates?
Yep. “Classic Edition” saves are not compatible with the new version.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:53 pm
baelthazar wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:51 pm Do you need to restart to activate the updates?
Yep. “Classic Edition” saves are not compatible with the new version.
UUUUGGGHHHH!!! I mean I just got on the boat to the new island, but that first island is a pain to get through (and like 20 hours in)...

I guess I can correct for my mistakes and speed run it a bit. Initially my main was that merc guy as a melee, inquisitor type. But I might try to do some sort of archer/ranged with summon skills.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I just restarted the Definitive Edition this weekend. I am only a few hours in, WAY, way far behind where I was from last time, but the game fizzled on me last time. Here's hoping it keeps me going this time around. I am counting on the updated journal specifically.. though so far I must say I am NOT impressed. (I am close to level 4, just ramping up for the assault on Fort Joy)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I got to the boat and off Fort Joy last night, which is about twice as far as I got the first time. I'm still having fun, although having two party members permanently on the sidelines kind of bugs me. I'm going with Ifan as a Knight, Red Prince as a fire-based Battlemage, Lohse as a mostly water-based caster/healer (with a couple lightning spells mixed in), and Sebille as the Rogue. Beast is sitting on the sidelines as a Ranger, and Fane as a secondary Rogue. I haven't used either one hardly at all, and tend to stick with what I'm familiar with.

I also have that weird Squirrel-riding-a-skeleton-cat thing following me around, Sir Lora. No idea what he's actually useful for. I've actually been tempted to just dismiss him, but don't want to miss out on quests later on. Oddly, he's been in spirit form since my first visit to the Hall of Echoes in Act I. I don't know if he's supposed to be that way or not.
I am counting on the updated journal specifically.. though so far I must say I am NOT impressed.
I'm not entirely sure what improvements they made to the journal, but I generally find it remarkably unhelpful. There do seem to be more map markers for quests than there were before though, which has made a few NPCs/quest locations easier to find.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:00 am I'm still having fun, although having two party members permanently on the sidelines kind of bugs me. I'm going with Ifan as a Knight, Red Prince as a fire-based Battlemage, Lohse as a mostly water-based caster/healer (with a couple lightning spells mixed in), and Sebille as the Rogue. Beast is sitting on the sidelines as a Ranger, and Fane as a secondary Rogue. I haven't used either one hardly at all, and tend to stick with what I'm familiar with.
I don't consider them party members sitting on the sidelines. They didn't make the cut. Amusingly(?) I have the same four in my party.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:17 am
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:00 am I'm still having fun, although having two party members permanently on the sidelines kind of bugs me. I'm going with Ifan as a Knight, Red Prince as a fire-based Battlemage, Lohse as a mostly water-based caster/healer (with a couple lightning spells mixed in), and Sebille as the Rogue. Beast is sitting on the sidelines as a Ranger, and Fane as a secondary Rogue. I haven't used either one hardly at all, and tend to stick with what I'm familiar with.
I don't consider them party members sitting on the sidelines. They didn't make the cut. Amusingly(?) I have the same four in my party.
I did have a rather hilarious/disturbing interaction with Fane (non-story spoilers)
Spoiler:
When I got to the ship, I briefly brought him back into the party so I could unload some of the secondary equipment I had been holding for him. (In case the game required me to use him at some point, I wanted him to at least have some basic gear.)

Playing as Ifan, I grabbed his arm during part of our discussion, and Fane made a comment along the lines of "Wait, are you flirting with me? I've heard about this behavior before.". I jokingly responded with a "So what if I am?"...and was entirely unprepared to have him immediately drag me behind a nearby curtain and, erm, bone.

It was really funny, but felt oddly out of place and completely out of left field, especially since I'd used Fane for all of 10 minutes in the previous 20 hours of playtime.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

They lured me back in with the Definitive Edition, I wanted to see what changes they made, supposedly much in Act IV. I was finally able to beat Dallis before leaving Fort Joy:
Spoiler:
I got my party up to level 6, then teleported her to the upper deck where my melee team awaited. I used boxes and barrels to block her minions from assisting, then removed her physical armor to enable knockdowns. Once she was down for the count she teleported out but dropped her hammer. This worked so well I went ahead and used this method to finish off her minions.
So far no major changes, but a few refinements, one of note in Act I:
Spoiler:
Once you get to Amadia's Sanctuary, Leya will remove your collars, you don't have to rescue Gareth first.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Since I loved Divinity 1 so much, I broke down and bought this for the PS4 last night. I can’t remember the last time I bought a game at full price, but I don’t mind supporting developers who port games to the consoles, especially RPG heavy games.

In any case, I only played about an hour and most of that was deciding on a character. I ended up going with Fane, because when am I going to have the chance again to play as an undead that needs to rip off faces to stay hidden? I’m still on the ship, but I enjoyed my conversation with a skull and a sheep (I also had to go with the pet talker trait, because why not?).
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I restarted last week after the release. I went with Fane again, but this time as an inquisitor/necromancer. So far I haven't noticed anything outstanding in the changes, but I'm mostly playing Assassin's Creed: Black Flag and Far Cry 5 on console right now. I'll probably get back into it shortly though. It is one of my absolute favorite CRPG series.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:33 pm In any case, I only played about an hour and most of that was deciding on a character. I ended up going with Fane, because when am I going to have the chance again to play as an undead that needs to rip off faces to stay hidden? I’m still on the ship, but I enjoyed my conversation with a skull and a sheep (I also had to go with the pet talker trait, because why not?).
Fane is great for a couple reasons, the primary is he has a built-in unbreakable lockpick. Also Pet Pal can lead to a lot of great information... once you get spirit vision you can pretty much progress through the game only talking to ghosts and pets.... and possibly ghosts *of* pets.

I am kind of sad because I am pretty much in the exact same place I was when I gave up last time and I am good to keep going except the new Tomb Raider comes out on Friday so now I am going to abandon this game AGAIN at the same dang place, basically at the end of the Driftwood area.

I have not really noticed any differences with the definitive edition. Full screen maps and inventories isn't exactly groundbreaking in my mind.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm trying to get through Driftwood, but have been steadily losing interest ever since I got here. The ridiculous quest log explosion when you arrive has led to a feeling of being extremely unfocused, since I seem to be getting a new quest every three steps. The lack of quest markers or any real direction from the journal certainly isn't helping.

I'm sure the intent was to increase player's engagement by giving them a truckload of stuff to do, but it has ended up pushing me in the other direction. The amount of "stuff" I'm now tasked with doing has become somewhat overwhelming, and I've basically just thrown in the towel at this point.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Is it as bad as Baldur's Gate 2? Getting through Chapter 2 is/was always a serious grind. For me at least.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

TheMix wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:28 am Is it as bad as Baldur's Gate 2? Getting through Chapter 2 is/was always a serious grind. For me at least.
I've only played BG2 once, it it was probably 12 years ago. I don't recall having the same issues with it, but I also had a lot more patience for that sort of thing back then.

Hoping I can push through and it gets back to a more focused story, but we'll see...
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Fuk it, they nerfed archery! Now that I'm in Act II fighting higher level enemies, arrows miss 3 out of 4 times. Gonna have to respec my main :x
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

After about 6 hours in, I decided to restart and respec my main character (Fane) and my companions. Now have Fane as summoner with some bow skills and Yhe Red Prince as a Necro/fighter. So far seems to be working out well.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Just started playing the first one with my daughter co-op. It's a riot. She just keeps on robbing people left and right. I gave a beggar a gold coin and not a minute later she's proclaiming how she stole a gold coin from a guy. :lol: I've been toying with recording the games and trying to make a channel out of it. I fear that's way beyond my existing skills, but I think it could be really cool.
Spoiler:
Not much of a spoiler, but in the starting town we found the grave. We decided to dig up said grave. BOOM all dead. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Here's a little tip for you for the Arena of the One on the Nameless Isle:
Spoiler:
In the staging area, before you talk to The Eternal Arbiter, defeat all of your rivals before you go in. Then you won't have to face them in the Arena.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Here's my cross-post spoiler free review from the Games Finished thread.
We used all custom characters - in retrospect I wish we had used modified pre-builts for the story elements.

Finally finished my play through of Divinity Original Sin 2. I've been playing this co-op for months with some friends, staying up far too late most sessions. The first 2/3 was great, tons of fun, the battles turn and twist things in interesting ways to keep you on your toes.

Then, the whole thing just kind of fell apart. For the last 1/3 of the game it just felt like were were severely under levelled and had to exploit game mechanics and rely on cheesy tactics to make any progress. By the end, we just wanted it to be over... which when it came I didn't even get to see "the ending" because my character had died in the fight. There are supposed to be multiple endings too, but we didn't really have much of a choice, we tried as many as we could and just had to accept the only one we had any chance of winning. And just to rub it all in, it took us 170 hrs of gameplay to get to this unsatisfying mess.

Maybe it would have been easier if we had min/maxed our characters, or had been more concerned with doing some of the quests "the right way" earlier, because the game made it seem like it was okay to fail earlier, then it just pulled the rug out from under us. What a huge anticlimactic disapointement.