Disney+ Streaming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Disney+ Streaming

Post by Isgrimnur »

cnet
Disney is betting big on its 2019 streaming service.

The company is ending its relationship with Netflix at the end of the year, and will instead make its own service the exclusive home for many Disney movies, TV shows and perhaps other streaming content.
Disney says it's shooting for a release by the end of 2019.
Disney CEO Bob Iger said in November 2017 that his company's service price will be "reflective of the fact that it will have substantially less volume" but plans to make up for it with high-quality programming from across its empire.
Variety
Disney is enlisting Earth’s Mightiest Heroes as the company prepares to launch its upcoming streaming service. The entertainment giant is in early development on an ambitious plan for a number of limited series centered on popular characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. These series will likely include shows centered on Loki and the Scarlet Witch, along with other beloved superheroes who have yet to appear in their own standalone movies.

Marvel and Disney had no comment.

There’s an important distinction from other Marvel small screen efforts, however. The actors who portrayed these heroes and villains in the Avengers films and their spin-offs, such as Tom Hiddleston and Elizabeth Olsen, are expected to play them in the streaming shows. Moreover, though sources close to the production are staying mum on the cost of the programming, the budgets are expected to be hefty rivaling those of a major studio productions. Each series is expected to include six to eight episodes. Marvel Studios will produce the shows and Kevin Feige, the guru of all things MCU, is expected to take a hands-on role in their development.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Re: Disney Streaming

Post by Blackhawk »

No. More.

The idea driving cable cutting was to save money due to cable company extortion, not to get the same content for more divided up between 20 services.

Once again, the pirates are the only ones winning.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Wasn't this always the logical outcome, though?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
stessier

Post by stessier »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:47 pm Wasn't this always the logical outcome, though?
Yes, but it's annoying.

With all episodes being available, though, it can still be cost effective. For Spring, you get Disney. For Summer, HBO. For Fall, Showtime. For Winter, Hulu. Always keep Netflix. Your average cost will be around $25/month - still way less than cable.

Edit: Forgot Amazon - but that comes included with Prime which is just a bonus since I use it more for shipping than anything else. If they ever try to split out that cost, that would be a problem.
Last edited by stessier on Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:47 pm Wasn't this always the logical outcome, though?
I don't know if it's was always the logical outcome but it was always a fear concurrently with what people had hoped for. People want a la carte media. But they also want affordable one stop shopping. There has long since been a fear that once the first streaming new content service became viable that everyone was going to independently monetize their own streaming. It will be interesting to see which way things go. It seems people were getting comfortable with reasonable subscription services allowing them access to large on demand libraries over owning/stealing media but the more and more we fragment the less and less I see paid media consumption being a thing.

Coincidentally, I guess no one cares about the emmy's anymore. Too much media choice. Too many ways to pay, equals no shared TV culture.

This was the first year I happened to surf by them in my life. I recognized exactly none of the 15 nominiees in the three categories I saw. :oops: I'm old.

https://ew.com/awards/2018/09/18/emmy-ratings-2018/
The 70th Primetime Emmy Awards were the least-watched edition of the annual ceremony in modern history.

Only 10.2 million viewers tuned in to watch the show with a 2.4 rating among adults 18-49. That’s the least-watched Emmys on record.

NBC noted this year’s Academy Awards (down 19 percent in viewers) and the Grammy Awards (down 24 percent in viewers) had even steeper drops. But the Emmys have been ebbing in viewership since 2013.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:58 pm
Coincidentally, I guess no one cares about the emmy's anymore. Too much media choice.
I can't believe anyone bothers to turn their transmitters on when football is playing on another channel, but maybe it's just me.
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We will be buying the Disney streaming service when it comes out. We’re too much of a Disney household not to. And with the announced Marvel and Star Wars series, it will likely be a year round subscription for us alongside Netflix.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

While we're on this too many but not enough services. I'm annoyed that I can't get WestWorld II months after it's left HBO. I figure it should have released by now and estimates are December.

Bastards.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

msteelers wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:19 pm We will be buying the Disney streaming service when it comes out. We’re too much of a Disney household not to. And with the announced Marvel and Star Wars series, it will likely be a year round subscription for us alongside Netflix.

I'm in. Would rather throw on an all Disney than anything that includes Blippi and endless unboxing videos (looking at you, Amazon Prime).

This service has been a request at every shareholder Q&A for at least the last decade. Both for Disney and ESPN properties.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:20 pm While we're on this too many but not enough services. I'm annoyed that I can't get WestWorld II months after it's left HBO. I figure it should have released by now and estimates are December.

Bastards.
Get a 7 day free trial and binge it:
https://order.hbonow.com/
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:25 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:20 pm While we're on this too many but not enough services. I'm annoyed that I can't get WestWorld II months after it's left HBO. I figure it should have released by now and estimates are December.

Bastards.
Get a 7 day free trial and binge it:
https://order.hbonow.com/
Was about to and to check on subscription cost, I don't have smartphone or Roku and and WOW is not an associated service provider. :(
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If you have literally no streaming device (it supports pretty much all of them) I guess you are out of luck. Also why are you in this thread?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:18 pm If you have literally no streaming device (it supports pretty much all of them) I guess you are out of luck. Also why are you in this thread?
My PC is a streaming device as is my TiVo. I stream to my laptop and then to my TV all of the time. But I don't have a tablet, smartphone, or Roku (or apple player thingy or firestick or..) .

To read about Disney Streaming.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I'm already fed up with the a la carte streaming. Yes, there are shows that I'd maybe find interesting on HBO, Hulu, CBS, DC, etc. But I am not, not, not going to pile on all of these monthly charges. I hate monthly subscription fees as is. All of that said... Disney is probably one of the few I'd consider subbing to because of the big three IPs w/ Disney, Marvel, and SW (and I guess all the Fox stuff too now). I'm personally hoping these newer offerings end up failing, but I doubt it.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

While I'm super not interested in paying for a bunch of different subscription services, if anyone has the catalog and weight to pull off doing their own, it's Disney. With two young kids in the house, tell me I can have a service that includes a massive amount of quality movies and shows for them? And it's also stuff that my wife and I can like? Sign me up.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

We'll get it. I hope they have a "Vault Disney" like service where we can go back and see a lot of the really old stuff. I loved it when the Disney Channel would switch to Vault Disney after 10:00 at night.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Imagine watching Any Sunday night Disney cartoon you ever wanted at any time.

All of the things I forgot.... All of the old Winnie the Pooh...

All of the

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:55 pm Imagine watching Any Sunday night Disney cartoon you ever wanted at any time.
Imagined...and not a one compares to even a bad Sunday Night Football game. If I spend a nickel more over the Comcast streaming package, it's going to be to improve football options.
Black Lives Matter
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

We're in for Prime for a variety of reasons, Netflix for television shows and the random movie, and will be in for Disney. Still better than cable, other than sports. :(
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

We'll probably be in for it. We will certainly try it if they do some kind of live action star wars thing. That would be awesome.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:45 am We'll probably be in for it. We will certainly try it if they do some kind of live action star wars thing. That would be awesome.
Psst.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

msteelers wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:45 am We'll probably be in for it. We will certainly try it if they do some kind of live action star wars thing. That would be awesome.
Psst.
So... In. Officially.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MCU Cosmic
On Disney’s Q3 Earnings Call today, Bob Iger officially confirmed a Loki series is coming to their new streaming service Disney+, and he confirmed that Tom Hiddleston will reprise his role in it.

Previously Variety revealed the existence of the Loki streaming series (along with a Scarlet Witch series). Today’s announcement confirmed that Tom Hiddleston would return in the role, which is something a lot of fans were wanting to have concrete.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:02 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:58 pm
Coincidentally, I guess no one cares about the emmy's anymore. Too much media choice.
I can't believe anyone bothers to turn their transmitters on when football is playing on another channel, but maybe it's just me.
There are those of us that couldn't care less about sports.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Wow - Disney appears to be getting rid of it's Vault method of movie marketing and opting to put everything on it's streaming service instead. That would suggest if you don't get the movie on media when it comes out, you'll be out of luck for a long time.
Disney is rapidly preparing to launch its own streaming service, dubbed Disney+, later this year. While the debut date is still unknown, we now know that the service will include the entire Disney movie library shortly after the service launches. According to a report in Polygon, Disney CEO Bob Iger explained the strategy to investors at a meeting in St. Louis, Missouri, pointing at the retirement of Disney's longstanding "vault."

"The service... is going to combine what we call library product, movies, and television, with a lot of original product as well, movies and television," Iger said. "And at some point fairly soon after launch, it will house the entire Disney motion picture library, so the movies that you speak of that traditionally have been kept in a 'vault' and brought out basically every few years will be on the service. And then, of course, we’re producing a number of original movies and original television shows as well that will be Disney-branded."
I know streaming is the present/future, but my job has prospects of ending up in the boonies at some point in the future with little or no internet access. I like the option of getting a disc as well as a digital copy for future proofing.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

stessier wrote:Wow - Disney appears to be getting rid of it's Vault method of movie marketing and opting to put everything on it's streaming service instead. That would suggest if you don't get the movie on media when it comes out, you'll be out of luck for a long time.
Um, how is that different than how the vault has always worked? If you missed out on the physical media the first time around, you would have to wait years to catch it again. At least this way you’ll be able to stream it whenever you want, assuming an internet connection.
stessier

Post by stessier »

msteelers wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:39 pm
stessier wrote:Wow - Disney appears to be getting rid of it's Vault method of movie marketing and opting to put everything on it's streaming service instead. That would suggest if you don't get the movie on media when it comes out, you'll be out of luck for a long time.
Um, how is that different than how the vault has always worked? If you missed out on the physical media the first time around, you would have to wait years to catch it again. At least this way you’ll be able to stream it whenever you want, assuming an internet connection.
The suggestion is there will be no re-issue.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:15 pm Wow - Disney appears to be getting rid of it's Vault method of movie marketing and opting to put everything on it's streaming service instead. That would suggest if you don't get the movie on media when it comes out, you'll be out of luck for a long time.
Disney is rapidly preparing to launch its own streaming service, dubbed Disney+, later this year. While the debut date is still unknown, we now know that the service will include the entire Disney movie library shortly after the service launches. According to a report in Polygon, Disney CEO Bob Iger explained the strategy to investors at a meeting in St. Louis, Missouri, pointing at the retirement of Disney's longstanding "vault."

"The service... is going to combine what we call library product, movies, and television, with a lot of original product as well, movies and television," Iger said. "And at some point fairly soon after launch, it will house the entire Disney motion picture library, so the movies that you speak of that traditionally have been kept in a 'vault' and brought out basically every few years will be on the service. And then, of course, we’re producing a number of original movies and original television shows as well that will be Disney-branded."
I know streaming is the present/future, but my job has prospects of ending up in the boonies at some point in the future with little or no internet access. I like the option of getting a disc as well as a digital copy for future proofing.
I guess you'll need to be content to watch Frozen 2 instead of Frozen 1.
Black Lives Matter.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I have switched modes into thinking these are all disposable. Most of them have monthly billing cycles and no penalty for canceling. It's more like a 30 day rental and then moving on to what I want to watch next.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:16 pm I have switched modes into thinking these are all disposable. Most of them have monthly billing cycles and no penalty for canceling. It's more like a 30 day rental and then moving on to what I want to watch next.
That will likely be me when I finally cut the cord.

Sadly, I'm a bit disappointed with my OTA trials so far but every time I see a cable bill, I'm a little more open to too frequent digital signal distortions OTA (Also thinking it's more my TV than it is the antenna, like it gets signal processessin lag and snaps on and off. More tests are to be done.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:15 pm I know streaming is the present/future, but my job has prospects of ending up in the boonies at some point in the future with little or no internet access. I like the option of getting a disc as well as a digital copy for future proofing.
Ask the North Koreans or the Cubans.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:32 pm Sadly, I'm a bit disappointed with my OTA trials so far but every time I see a cable bill, I'm a little more open to too frequent digital signal distortions OTA (Also thinking it's more my TV than it is the antenna, like it gets signal processessin lag and snaps on and off. More tests are to be done.)
Not sure who your provider is, but with Comcast I have streaming package that includes basic stuff (all of the broadcast channels) and HBO. When I started it is was $15 per month, might be a little more after a year. This allows you to log into apps for all of those channels and stream. While it's not free, getting rid of the problems associated with trying to pull in OTA is certainly worth it.

You might also look at YouTube TV or Sling. Again, not free but substantially less than a cable bill and will work with the devices you already use. If you have Amazon Prime, there is no reason not to pony up a few bucks for a Fire Stick to access their prime content, as well as apps for other channels you might have access by other means.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

If he cares about his local channels, YTTV is a far better choice than Sling. I have used 4 of the "big 5" live streaming TV services (Hulu is the only one I haven't used) and YouTubeTV is by far the one I like the most. They have all of my local channels that I care about (except PBS who noone has yet), and is cheap $45/month.

Sling was the fist one I tried and I definitely liked it. It had a nice interface, and gave me most of the channels I wanted. But no locals.

I move to Playstation Vue after that. I kept it for close to a year. At the time you could get their highest tier (which included HBO and Showtime) at a serious discount for around a year. I use Rokus which I greatly prefer to my one fire stick and the PS Vue app for most of that year was as barebones as you could get. But, the value was good. Vue also lets you have 5 streams at once (good for big families or me during CFB season). Late in my run with Vue they (finally) updated their Roku app and it was light years better. But, my major discount was expiring, and I moved onto...

DirecTV Now. This had a slick interface. It was also at the time a big bargain. It is less of a bargain now, but one major selling point for it is it's always going to be the cheapest way to get HBO. It's $5/month currently and I believe soon they are about to raise the price (again) but all tiers will include HBO. It is no longer the bargain it once was as they have bumped the price I think twice since my initial subscription started, and I think they are going to consolidate into 2 plans (which both include HBO) starting at around $50/month...? (Something like that.) However, I didn't leave DTV Now over price. I left it mainly due to the limit of 2 streams per account (need more than that for CFB season) and the fact that DTV Now had buffering issues more than ALL of the other live streaming services I have tried combined. It was just awful.

Since the Fall I have been on YouTubeTV. It's by far my favorite. There's just one plan that includes pretty much everything I want and it's $45/month. I can completely customize the live guide any way I want. It allows 3 streams per account (would really like 4, but it worked OK). It's much more reliable than DTV Now was. The downsides - you can't get HBO with it at all. (You can still sub to HBO Now directly for $15/month but that's certainly more than DTV Now would cost combined.) I recommend YouTube TV over all of the others. (Again I haven't tried Hulu Live.)

Having said that, I plan on dropping YTTV in the near future. I just don't watch/need live TV anymore outside of the Fall when it's CFB season. I can't keep up with everything I want to watch on Netflix and Prime on its own, so it just doesn't make sense for me to pay for YTTV until Fall comes again. Even last year when Better Call Saul's season started, I was like "watching this with ads sucks. waiting until next week for a new episode sucks. I will jsut wait for Netflix to get it." I have simply changed they way I watch TV.

Anyway, hope this is helpful. Just one man's opinion on most of the big live streaming options. I expect all of these services to keep getting more expensive as time goes on.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

With Sling I get local NBC and Fox, including their sports channels. I really have to jump through hoops when CBS has football I want to watch because all of their apps require you subscribe to their service, even if you just want OTA content. But I think YouTube TV includes them, but at $45 per month it's quite a bit more than the $25 I pay for Sling.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

My bad! I thought Sling still didn't even try to get locals. I know they have some sort of antenna based solution where you can combine OTA with Sling in their app. But, I wasn't aware they were carrying OTAs directly.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
stessier

Post by stessier »

Details have been announced.
The Walt Disney Company finally took the wraps off of its Disney+ streaming services app, slated to launch on November 12 of this year at a $6.99/mo rate or an annual price of $69. The company also confirmed a few new series exclusive to the paid, ad-free subscription service, along with some technical details—and Disney+'s exclusive acquisition of the complete Simpsons archives.
Much more at the link.

At that price, I think it's a safe bet that we'll be subscribing.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

For $7 a month we get a ton of Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Star Wars content, plus every episode of The Simpson’s?

We’re all in at the $70 annual rate.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, $70 a year is a no-brainer for what it's going to provide. Although my wife and I will probably be the biggest consumers...my kids are aging out of watching the Disney stuff. Well, actually, aging out of watching anything other than YouTube.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I have a feeling they will quickly jack the rate up over the next year or so, but even a jacked up rate of say 10 bucks would be a good deal. So I'm certainly in when it releases.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Octavious wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:55 am I have a feeling they will quickly jack the rate up over the next year or so, but even a jacked up rate of say 10 bucks would be a good deal. So I'm certainly in when it releases.
Agree with all of this. I can't see the starting rate lasting very long. That said, we're such dorks for Star Wars, Marvel and Disney (probably in that order), that we're almost certainly on board.