Audible

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

TheMix

Re: Audible

Post by TheMix »

Friday, by Heinlein? I don't recall much about the story, but I think it was pretty light on the science part. And it's one of the more hefty books like that.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks! I'll take a look at some of those. Most of the type of stuff I'm talking about is short, but I would run out of book halfway through the month on something like that. The Star Trek/Humanx feel, more grounded than Star Wars, but not 'hard science fiction.' Reality should be acknowledged, but the author shouldn't be afraid to technobabble around it if it makes for a better story.

Maybe The Expanse would do the trick.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

More grounded than Star Wars? Then skip Resnick. His stuff is more like Firefly. Old West meets science fiction.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Firefly is more grounded than Star Wars. Star Wars is basically a sword-and-sorcery pulp in space.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Firefly is grounded it old-timey Westerns, which adds to the absurdity. Entertaining when you check your brain, but really absurd if you think about it. A starship that's the equivalent of a rusty old garbage scow? Who would ever board such a thing? (although something similar could be said about the Millennium Falcon in Star Wars).
Black Lives Matter