Bourbon and Whiskey

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Re: Bourbon and Whiskey

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Has anyone tried the cheap Benchmark whiskey's from Buffalo Trace? I saw them the other day and was intrigued by their pedigree and low price.
We have three available locally, the regular benchmark ($15), bottled in bond ($20), and single malt ($32).
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

McNutt wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:30 pm Enjoy the journey.

What I love about bourbon is that I can drink inexpensive stuff (like what you bought or Jim Beam black) every day and never get tired of it. I appreciate really nice bourbons, but thankfully I don't have to spend a lot of money to get something that I really enjoy.
That's very true about Bourbon. A number of things I buy regularly (Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, Woodford Reserve) can be found for reasonable prices around here.

Scotch, not as much but I certainly don't drink the truly expensive bottles.
Conform or be cast out!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

For years, my packie has held twice-yearly beer and wine tastings. Today was their first annual spirits tasting. And by spirits, they meant almost all whiskey. And by whiskey, they meant (mostly) bourbon, rye, and Irish blends. Which is all well and good -- I'm fond of whiskey in general. But I went hoping to sample some mid-range Scotches and was disappointed that there was almost no Scotch.

There were about a dozen tables, each pouring from 4-6 bottles. The tables weren't in the same order as the program, which made them hard to follow, and the program didn't list prices. One can't taste a lot of spirits without becoming too spirited, so I would have liked to zero in on bottles that I could afford. One cannot really walk up and say "I'd like to try your cheapest pour!" Too often, the ones I liked were $75 and up -- sometimes WAY up. Fortunately there was enough free food to pace myself and keep an even keel.

I bought a bottle of Copper Pot Writer's Tears, "a unique vatting of single pot still and single malt Irish whiskey, triple distilled for extra smoothness, aged and matured in flame charred bourbon barrels." I think I paid $45 for that one, minus the 20% show discount. I also got a Dewar's 15-year blended Scotch, packaged with nips of their 12-year and 18-year blends, on sale for $30 because that was a good value.

Based on the turnout, a whole lot of people are going to get $100 bottles of whiskey for xmas.
Zarathud

Bourbon and Whiskey

Post by Zarathud »

When on a Cincinnati business trip, we went out to a British pub for their fish and chips. When asked about their Whiskey list, the server recommended Screwball Whiskey because it tastes like peanut butter and is smooth. A few members of the group chased it with grape juice for a PBJ effect. It was everything they promised., and very different.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I also like variety and I’m weird and want to taste almost everything so I have tried many different flavored whiskeys. I’ve tried the normal vanilla, honey and cinnamon; plus the more random peanut butter, maple, chocolate, cherry and apple. Also the really weird dark chocolate banana whiskey which I really enjoyed chilled.

My favorite flavored whiskey is from a tiny distillery in Brookshire, TX. It’s called Shire Fire cinnamon whiskey and they actually steep real cinnamon sticks in the finished whiskey along with some peppers. It has an excellent natural cinnamon flavor along with a subtle pepper spiciness to it that I really enjoy, especially in cooler weather. It tastes nothing like Fireball which has an artificial cinnamon candy taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Dramatist wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:27 am It tastes nothing like Fireball which has an artificial cinnamon candy taste.
To be fair, it’s based on the very artificial cinnamon candy by the same name (Atomic Fireball), but sounds like these guys are making it better.

There are tons of Fireball copycats out there, including some bigger names like Evan Williams and Jim Beam (Fire), which are absurdly sweet, but also as you found some smaller batch stuff that is higher shelf (if flavored whiskies even have shelves! :D)

The few times I’ve tried flavored whisky I’ve always told myself never again, but every once in a while I get a wild hair to try a specific recipe, and Bob’s your uncle.

Not sure I’ve ever tried one above “Jim Beam” level though, so I’m sure that’s part of the problem. Made the mistake of buying Jim Beam Honey once, thinking I would make hot toddies, but ugh.

Didn’t think through adding a cloyingly sweet honey flavor (I assume it’s not real honey) to an already super sweet bourbon.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

For Father's day my family bought me a bottle of Howler Head, which is a banana flavored bourbon. This is something I NEVER would have bought myself, but I'll be damned if those flavors blended nicely. I finished the bottle much quicker than I thought I would and have been on the lookout for it ever since.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Recently got a case of Uncle Nearest 1856. It's not bad. I still prefer Irish whisky over all else but you have to mix it up.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
disarm

Post by disarm »

Uncle Nearest is pretty good at a reasonable price...not one I've ever purchased, but I thought it was pretty good when I sampled someone else's bottle.

As for flavored whiskey, I'm usually not a fan at all. I think that I'm so much of a straight whiskey fan that I find the added flavor unnecessary. I've had a few cinnamon options (usually shots at a party) and they're drinkable but not really my thing. Fireball isn't bad for what it is, but I personally think Jack Daniel's Tennessee Fire is better...good cinnamon flavor and less sweet. I tried Skrewball once and found it disgustingly sweet with horrible fake peanut butter flavor. A lot of people enjoy it though, so maybe I'm the strange one

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:11 am Recently got a case of Uncle Nearest 1856. It's not bad. I still prefer Irish whisky over all else but you have to mix it up.
Care to recommend a decent bottle for less than say $60? I've bought a really good one before (that I could easily sip), but can't remember the name (would have been a pretty common one I think). Bought one recently that is downright awful (Jameson Black Barrel). After trying it a couple of times neat, I have relegated it for mixed drinks only (and maybe that's what most people use it for? But I was looking for something that I could drink like Scotch, without the price tag :D)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:32 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:11 am Recently got a case of Uncle Nearest 1856. It's not bad. I still prefer Irish whisky over all else but you have to mix it up.
Care to recommend a decent bottle for less than say $60? I've bought a really good one before (that I could easily sip), but can't remember the name (would have been a pretty common one I think). Bought one recently that is downright awful (Jameson Black Barrel). After trying it a couple of times neat, I have relegated it for mixed drinks only (and maybe that's what most people use it for? But I was looking for something that I could drink like Scotch, without the price tag :D)

If you can find Knappogue Castle 12 it should be a touch under $60. Highly recommend.

Slane is my go-to cheap Irish right now. Should be under $30. Last case I got was around $150 (6 bottles).
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Last one I got was Green Spot and it was right around $60. I really enjoyed it.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:09 pm
Last one I got was Green Spot and it was right around $60. I really enjoyed it.
Green Spot is some wonderful stuff.
Conform or be cast out!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:17 pm Slane is my go-to cheap Irish right now. Should be under $30. Last case I got was around $150 (6 bottles).

And you drink something under $30 straight? If so, gotta try that, wow!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Bought some of this from a local distillery. Good for sipping but really enjoying it in my egg nog right now.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Are you recommending that one, Is?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I am not, but Total Wine wants to sell it.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Grangestone is very mediocre. It's kind of like a house brand for total wine. It's priced well enough, but I wouldn't call it a good Scotch.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Figures.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:17 pm

If you can find Knappogue Castle 12 it should be a touch under $60. Highly recommend.

Slane is my go-to cheap Irish right now. Should be under $30. Last case I got was around $150 (6 bottles).
Yeah, the finding is the problem for me. I have a couple of places like Total Wine around (any idea if your recos can be found there?), and of course lots of smaller independent liquor stores, but I don’t exactly live in a metro Mecca for alcohol where you can find any label you want.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:12 am
Yeah, the finding is the problem for me. I have a couple of places like Total Wine around (any idea if your recos can be found there?), and of course lots of smaller independent liquor stores, but I don’t exactly live in a metro Mecca for alcohol where you can find any label you want.
It's not Irish, but I always keep a bottle of Macallan 12 handy. The last one I bought was the double cask for $70. At....[drumroll] Target.

Total wine does show Knappogue Castle and Slane on their website.

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:12 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:17 pm

LOL and of course the DAY I write this we have an after work drinking session at a local bar and what do I see on their top shelf (it was a pretty casual bar) but the Slane.

Tried it neat. Amazing. Tried it again. Still amazing. Made all my co-workers try it. Unsure of REAL reactions, but I’m not sure I effectively communicated my joy of finding a very good, reasonably priced whisky (Irish!) I can drink neat. :D

Thanks!
mori

Post by mori »

My bourbon and whisky haul so far in 2023:
Old Forester 1897
Old Forester 1910
Willett Pot Still Reserve
Noah's Mill
Redwood Empire Lost Monarch
Blade & Bow
Russell's Reserve 10 Year
Russell's Reserve Single Barrel
Barton's 1792 Full Proof Barrel Pick
Mitcher's Bourbon Small Batch
High West American Prairie Bourbon
Elijah Craig Small Batch
Old Bardstown
J. Henry & Sons Wisconsin Bourbon
Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select

The one I enjoy the most is Noah's Mill with honorable mention to Barton's 1792 Full Proof. There is a lot of character in both of them without really having to think too much. Biggest disappointment was the Redwood Empire Lost Monarch. I heard such great things about it but I just did not get it. I went through the entire bottle searching for something that would dawn on me but it never happened. Plus the bottle did not fit in my bottle storage area. I did not like Old Bardstown when I initially tried it but it has slowly grown on me. Mitcher's Bourbon also has grown on me and has the most dominant caramel apple flavor I have had in a whisky. I heard that Jack Daniels made good whisky once you get past Old No. 7 and the Single Barrel Select did not let me down with its banana and spice notes. I almost picked up a Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof today but decided on the Russell's Reserve Single Barrel. You may notice an absence of Buffalo Trace products and that is because they are almost unattainable in my market. I have had regular Buffalo Trace before when it was everywhere and do not see why it is so in demand around these parts.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Sadly, I had to attend the funeral of a close friend recently. It stung all the more that he was a month younger than me when he passed from colon cancer. (Get your colonoscopies!)

When we came back to his house afterwards to visit with his widow, she told us that we were on the list to get some bottles of his whiskey collection. I came home with a 2015 Ardbeg Perpetuum and an Edradour Cask Strength distilled 2003 and bottled 2014. I both can't wait to try them and don't want to open them ever.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

What a wonderful bequest. He would want you to break them out on special occasions (I know; I asked him).
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

gbasden wrote:Sadly, I had to attend the funeral of a close friend recently. It stung all the more that he was a month younger than me when he passed from colon cancer. (Get your colonoscopies!)

When we came back to his house afterwards to visit with his widow, she told us that we were on the list to get some bottles of his whiskey collection. I came home with a 2015 Ardbeg Perpetuum and an Edradour Cask Strength distilled 2003 and bottled 2014. I both can't wait to try them and don't want to open them ever.
Sorry for your loss but it does seem that your friend wanted you to drink to his memory which is both sad and happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest