the inevitable repeal of the abolishment of [seasonal time shifting]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: the inevitable abolishment of [seasonal time shifting] in our lifetimes

Post by Smoove_B »

Hear me out...we could change the time kids go to school to be later. Unless everything is set up to give parents a place to drop them off so they can go to work and/or (2) because football players need 3+ hours a day to practice and play games.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

*shrug*

I live in Indiana. I spent years here without DST (or with constant DST, whichever.) It didn't really affect anything the way people expect. It was just a hassle that we got to ignore.

It was confusing being the only state (nearby, at least) that observed/didn't observe it - prime time shows jumped back and forth from 7 to 8, then 8 to 7 every year. Crossing the state line (which was only about ten miles away) jumped us an hour half of the year, but was at the same time as us the rest. Then Indiana went to 'optional' and let each county pick which time zone they were in. That was just chaos, as anything inter-county had to take multiple time zones into account back-and-forth. Someone might have an appointment at 3 in one county, then at 3 in the next county an hour later, but then had to rush out at 3:30 to make their 5:00 appointment 20 minutes away.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
JCC

Post by JCC »

Not happy about this. I walk most mornings at 7am and hate walking in the dark. I would be doing it a lot from Novemberish through Februaryish. BOO!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Inertia is not a good excuse to maintain bad policies. There will never be enough daylight to please everyone in certain (or all) locations; some parts of the year just suck. Being lucky enough to have a 9-5 life doesn't entitle you to govern time itself. Buy a SAD lamp like those of us with SAD do. Or I guess you could live out of a van and adjust your position on the globe each day.

(Directed at no one in particular. I understand why this sucks for some people's routines and a sympathize.)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:P

Not all of us are blessed with 15+ hours of daylight in summer.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Fortunately some people will be unaffected:

I sleep with the sun and I rise with the moon,
but I feel alright with my needle and spoon.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well, I like it, as I suspect do most people who live on the eastern edge of their time zone. But "the Senate unanimously passed a resolution" isn't the same as "done deal."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:20 pm Fortunately some people will be unaffected:

I sleep with the sun and I rise with the moon,
but I feel alright with my needle and spoon.
Hey, do you know Mr. Brownstone?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

stessier wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:17 pm Also, we apparently tried this in 1974 and hated it.
i suspect the likelihood of this also getting killed after one year is very, very high.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It would be nice if we took what we learned in 1974 and used it to make another attempt a better experience. But then, if we learned from the past half the world's problems wouldn't exist right now.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:20 pm But "the Senate unanimously passed a resolution" isn't the same as "done deal."
This. Has the House even indicated they plan to look at this?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The amount of people I see online happy with this astounds me. I wonder if issues like SAD wouldn't actually be as much of a problem if we didn't have DST to begin with.

Also from what I heard on the radio, the House was surprised by the Senate's move and while there's a corresponding bill in the House, I'm guessing it'll be a while before it's taken up.
Hodor.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

There are elements of standard time and daylight savings time that I like. I mainly would just like to stop changing the clocks twice a year.

The vast majority of people I know want to keep DST permanent in order to get the extra hour of sun in the evenings after work.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I also am in the 'stop changing the clocks' camp. I don't care where the clocks end up, I just want them to stop changing.
OK I do care, I don't want to end up like India, 30 minutes off the rest of the world, that gives me headaches.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msteelers wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:26 am
The vast majority of people I know want to keep DST permanent in order to get the extra hour of sun in the evenings after work.
Am I in the minority in terms of caring a lot more about light in the morning than light in the evening? I don't really care whether it gets dark at 4 pm or 6 pm or 8 pm. But I hate hate hate getting up when it's dark out - feels wrong somehow, and I feel like I wind up more tired regardless of the amount of sleep I got.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:02 am
Am I in the minority in terms of caring a lot more about light in the morning than light in the evening?
Yes. :P

It doesn't affect me as much now, but back when I had an office job, more or less 8-5 (although I never left at 5), I cherished any daylight that remained after I got home. I work outside a lot at my house, so that's my selfish reason.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Am I in the minority in terms of caring a lot more about light in the morning than light in the evening? I don't really care whether it gets dark at 4 pm or 6 pm or 8 pm. But I hate hate hate getting up when it's dark out - feels wrong somehow, and I feel like I wind up more tired regardless of the amount of sleep I got.
For years my alarm clock would go off at 4am for work, and I currently get up at 5am for work. I can't remember the last time I woke up and it was daylight outside.

As for nights, I've always enjoyed when it would get dark earlier. I prefer the evenings, probably because I can get sunburns easily. But now that we have a toddler, I'm beginning to understand the appeal of having an extra hour of sunlight after work.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I drive the kids to school in the county to the east of us. When DST has me getting up or leaving after dawn, I'm driving straight into the sun. When it has me getting up before dawn, it's a nice, leisurely drive in the dark.

And I've always preferred night over day for being out. Less noisy, less crowded, less glare.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I guess everyone will have their own reasons for preferring more light in the morning vs the evening. Out here in North Cackalackey, on the coast where the weather is mild pretty much all year, that extra daylight in the evenings is fantastic for getting outside after a work day and doing yard work, exercising, playing with the kids, etc.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:20 am I drive the kids to school in the county to the east of us. When DST has me getting up or leaving after dawn, I'm driving straight into the sun. When it has me getting up before dawn, it's a nice, leisurely drive in the dark.

And I've always preferred night over day for being out. Less noisy, less crowded, less glare.
Those drives directly into the sun could be in the top 5 most irritating things on the planet.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Advice duck says, don't live west of your office.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you worked east of here, you could see home by now.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:33 pm
If you worked east of here, you could see home by now.
:clap:
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:53 am OK I do care, I don't want to end up like India, 30 minutes off the rest of the world, that gives me headaches.
That would be horrible!

I'm in the camp of always waking up at 5:20 so I expect dark when I wake. I suppose I'd rather have the extra light in the evenings but mostly I'd just like to quit bothering to deal with changing things.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I don't care which system that they use just make it permanent.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

What if we could minutely control the Earth's orbit?

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Who would you trust with that ability?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Superman?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:53 am I also am in the 'stop changing the clocks' camp. I don't care where the clocks end up, I just want them to stop changing.
OK I do care, I don't want to end up like India, 30 minutes off the rest of the world, that gives me headaches.
We have an office in India, one of my teammates is there. Works till 11:30 AM/12:30 PM Eastern (12:30 now w/ the time shift). Took a long freaking time to get used to that 1/2 hour.

I'd mildly prefer hour of sun in the evening over morning but mostly just want the change to stop either way... if it weren't for the teammate in India. Having her on until 12:30 is much more convenient for our team's work.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sudy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:44 pm What if we could minutely control the Earth's orbit?
While we're at it, maybe someone can also slow our spinning down to a less vomit-inducing rotational speed? The constant 10,000mph spin is getting old.
mkthanks
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:43 am
Sudy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:44 pm What if we could minutely control the Earth's orbit?
While we're at it, maybe someone can also slow our spinning down to a less vomit-inducing rotation? The constant 10,000mph spin is getting old.
mkthanks
Just wait until they stall us out while trying to double clutch
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The spin only bothers me when I try to stand in the same place.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think this explains it:

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:43 am constant
I'm okay with this word.
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:43 am10,000mph
Constant linear velocity. That's a legit construct.
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:43 am spin
And there my head explodes.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

When was the last time this argument came up in the fall? :think:
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:51 pm The Senate just unanimously passed a resolution to shift to full time DST in the US.

I am sure that people will be just thrilled about the prospects of 830-9 AM sunrises in the winter in mid-latitude states in the US.
That's a perk, not a negative. I would also like to suggest we just all go to GMT and simplify meeting requests enormously. I couldn't care less if I was getting up at 12am and going to bed at 4pm if it meant I didn't have to wonder what time it was in India.
Last edited by gbasden on Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I am exactly the opposite. Mornings suck whether it's light or dark. Evening is when I want it to be light. Being dark at 5 just sucks.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gbasden wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:37 pm
I am exactly the opposite. Mornings suck whether it's light or dark. Evening is when I want it to be light. Being dark at 5 just sucks.
I endorse this message.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

gbasden wrote:
+100

No matter whether it’s light or dark outside in the morning, I’m going to just be getting ready for work. But I can only shoot hoops or play disc golf outside after work if there’s enough light.
Black Lives Matter