Tom Clancy's The Division 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Tom Clancy's The Division 2

Post by Max Peck »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:32 am So... how viable is this as a single player game? I have zero interest in any multi but $3? Hmmm... worst case it ends up in the archives like the first one did. :?
I've put 192 hours into the game so far, all of it solo. Some of the content, like the raid and the highest difficulty missions, are out of reach, but the core game itself plays fine without a group.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The game is definitely fun solo. I’ve avoided the Dark Zones and the raids yet there is still a lot to do. After 62 hours I still have missions to finish.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:32 am So... how viable is this as a single player game? I have zero interest in any multi but $3? Hmmm... worst case it ends up in the archives like the first one did. :?
Exclusively played this as SP and spent over 100hrs that way (on PS4 Pro). There was definitely a difficulty bump for me around level 12 and it got pretty hard for a while but once you get some more tools to play with, it's fine (but I played when it came out and a friend picked it up 3 months ago and never experienced the same bump, so they may have balanced it over time).

The thing to remember, though, is that you really need to enjoy the core game loop - it's a cover looter-shooter and nothing else. There is no REAL story about it and your interactions with the world comes down to "shoot it". There are no puzzles, stealth (beyond trying to stay in cover), and all missions are all about shooting people. Actually, I found the missions to be the weaker point of the game, as they try to create some sort of storyline and they tend to serve up larger and larger and harder and harder groups of mobs to keep you busy and that's it. What I personally enjoyed much more is to run my own little patrols through the city and see what I run into (while still marveling at the world they created). But there are only a very small handful of games in which I spent that much time in and I enjoyed my time in TD2 very much
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Thanks for that review.
I was wondering what kind, if any, story there was or if it was pretty much open sandbox-ish.
I need direction and a goal when I play something.
Wandering around doing stuff just for the sake of doing it does nothing for me.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Have you played Far Cry? It's like that, at least on the surface. Enter an area and you have a mission to follow, plus side activities, collectibles, and random events. Level up enough and move to a new area.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm a bit bummed out. I didn't finish the main campaign when I stopped playing several months ago. So today I knocked out the Roosevelt Island and Capitol missions, completing the campaign. Turns out though, that to access the prologue for the new expansion, you have to be at World Tier 5. By completing those missions I mentioned above, I just started World Tier 1. Honestly I just don't see myself grinding through hours and hours of missions just to access the new expansion when it comes out next month. I'll sleep on it, but sheesh, I just don't know.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

IIRC, if you buy the expansion you have the option to roll up a new level 30 character that can go directly to NYC, as an alternative to using an existing character.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:55 pm
I've put 192 hours into the game so far, all of it solo. Some of the content, like the raid and the highest difficulty missions, are out of reach, but the core game itself plays fine without a group.
Thanks Max and Chuck for all that. Still wondering about the "online co-op" nature of it and having people in there with you, plus Dark Zones, raids and crap like that BUT I did end up dropping my $3.14 on the table and starting the download. Said it would be 45GB but then 102GB started downloading before I went to bed, guessing that's the three extra whatevers I saw listed as "coming in 2019".
-mf
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:45 am
Thanks Max and Chuck for all that. Still wondering about the "online co-op" nature of it and having people in there with you, plus Dark Zones, raids and crap like that BUT I did end up dropping my $3.14 on the table and starting the download. Said it would be 45GB but then 102GB started downloading before I went to bed, guessing that's the three extra whatevers I saw listed as "coming in 2019".
What service did you end up buying it from?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

stimpy wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:49 am
PS4.
-mf
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It looks like the Warlords DLC includes a "Level 30 boost" that you could either use with an existing character or on a new character. It leapfrogs you past the level 1-30 missions as well as the world tier 1-5 content, so you end up with a level 30 GS500 character.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:10 am It looks like the Warlords DLC includes a "Level 30 boost" that you could either use with an existing character or on a new character. It leapfrogs you past the level 1-30 missions as well as the world tier 1-5 content, so you end up with a level 30 GS500 character.
Good to know, although I still might work through the Tiers.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:08 pm
Max Peck wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:10 am It looks like the Warlords DLC includes a "Level 30 boost" that you could either use with an existing character or on a new character. It leapfrogs you past the level 1-30 missions as well as the world tier 1-5 content, so you end up with a level 30 GS500 character.
Good to know, although I still might work through the Tiers.
I think the missions are worth running through once at least. I think I may actually already have two level 30 T5 characters. Hey why not add one more?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:52 am
PS4.
Happy to team up with you (if we can make the timing work, I'm on PST), just to show you around (or help, if needed) - not sure if we are connected on PS, I'm ChuckB08 on that system. While I played The Division 2 exclusively solo, I actually teamed up a bit with some OO'ers for the first game a couple of years ago and it was great fun (actually, if you find the right people, it's likely MUCH more fun than doing solo). Not sure how much you know about how MP in The Division (1 and 2) works but you will NOT even see anyone in the world when you are playing (with the exception of the hubs/bases) unless you specifically choose to (Dark Zones are different). I haven't spent much time in the Dark Zones, but I'm generally not a competitive PvP player, so it's not really for me
Last edited by ChuckB on Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

stimpy wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:53 pm Thanks for that review.
I was wondering what kind, if any, story there was or if it was pretty much open sandbox-ish.
I need direction and a goal when I play something.
Wandering around doing stuff just for the sake of doing it does nothing for me.
There is some "story" but there is not a strong narrative to drive you forward or even guide you what to do next. You will always know what you CAN do (basically based on the level you are at) but I think the comparisons that others have provided here (Far Cry) is correct (Assassin's Creed would be another example) but I would argue that these open world games have often MORE stuff you can do (just by the sheer number of activities that show up on the map) with a bit more diversity in what you can do and they probably even have more storyline you can follow than The Division. So, IMO, The Division is more on the sandbox-ish side of things, as it wants to keep players engaged for A LONG time (basically with no end), so the whole game loop is much more shoot - loot - enjoy loot and sort loop - rinse & repeat is there. In that way probably like Diablo III outside the campaign
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I remembered how I got through the first sixty hours, I just have to remember to have fun rather than trying to analyse things. So I am back to playing.

I do have one question. When I got to Tier 1 it unlocked the Pilot and I have a notice on the bottom left of the screen saying "New locations available at the Pilot". However, when I go to the Pilot it does display a mission at Kenly College but it won't let me activate it. What prerequisite am I missing? It is not telling me :(
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:29 pm I do have one question. When I got to Tier 1 it unlocked the Pilot and I have a notice on the bottom left of the screen saying "New locations available at the Pilot". However, when I go to the Pilot it does display a mission at Kenly College but it won't let me activate it. What prerequisite am I missing? It is not telling me :(
The menu says "Next available at an unannounced time." which I presume means that it isn't currently available.

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

ChuckB wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:09 pm
PS4.
Happy to team up with you (if we can make the timing work, I'm on PST), just to show you around (or help, if needed) - not sure if we are connected on PS, I'm ChuckB08 on that system. While I played The Division 2 exclusively solo, I actually teamed up a bit with some OO'ers for the first game a couple of years ago and it was great fun (actually, if you find the right people, it's likely MUCH more fun than doing solo). Not sure how much you know about how MP in The Division (1 and 2) works but you will NOT even see anyone in the world when you are playing (with the exception of the hubs/bases) unless you specifically choose to (Dark Zones are different). I haven't spent much time in the Dark Zones, but I'm generally not a competitive PvP player, so it's not really for me
Thanks for the offer Chuck and yes, we're connected and I'm living on Mountain time. I did play a bit last night but don't really plan on getting back to it until I complete some other stuff (Outer Worlds mostly), just mostly wanted to grab it while it was three bucks and then take a peek around. I'm only vaguely aware of the online aspect of the games, I know that other people can be seen in the hubs/bases/whatever but wasn't sure about out in the world since I didn't see any last night. I seem to recall people getting cranky if I ignored them in a hub in the first game on PC, one of the things that drove me out of it. Have no plans to spend time in Dark Zones. A bit lost on some of the mechanics, or why it announces things like 'portable electronic device found' (??) or even where/when it saves but that will come with time. Or not. :wink:
-mf
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:23 am
ChuckB wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:09 pm
PS4.
Thanks for the offer Chuck and yes, we're connected and I'm living on Mountain time. I did play a bit last night but don't really plan on getting back to it until I complete some other stuff (Outer Worlds mostly), just mostly wanted to grab it while it was three bucks and then take a peek around. I'm only vaguely aware of the online aspect of the games, I know that other people can be seen in the hubs/bases/whatever but wasn't sure about out in the world since I didn't see any last night. I seem to recall people getting cranky if I ignored them in a hub in the first game on PC, one of the things that drove me out of it. Have no plans to spend time in Dark Zones. A bit lost on some of the mechanics, or why it announces things like 'portable electronic device found' (??) or even where/when it saves but that will come with time. Or not. :wink:
Sure, just let me know. I'm actually trying to get back into the game myself (I have three big missions outstanding to conclude the main "story"), so I'll be on and off - shoot me a message if you are interested but no pressure, take your time (I would have to learn, too, how the coop works in detail, as I think the game scales to individual players in a group, meaning my lvl 30 char would not simply blow away all the mobs we would encounter). Happy to explain things (did this with my other friend, who --unfortunately-- plays it on PC so we can't join up) and it was helpful, I think. I never had any bad experiences in either game with other people and, quite frankly, I basically forget that they are there (and only get reminded of them when I see ridiculously looking character standing around). The portable electronic devices are little "story" bits and depending on my mood I like to listen to them or ignore them. And yes, I should get back into Outer Worlds, too ...
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Article just posted by PCGamesN, The Division 2 single player guide: how to play The Division 2 solo
Can you play The Division 2 single player? Ubisoft’s apocalyptic looter shooter is heavily oriented around multiplayer, with heaps of The Division 2 clan features, multiplayer modes, and squad-based gameplay potentially discouraging solo gamers from diving in. So, instead of lamenting and not playing the game because you’re worried, just follow this The Division 2 single player guide to playing on your own.

It can be tough striking out on your own, but with the right set of tools it doesn’t have to be. If you really don’t want to work with others then follow these tips and you’ll be the kind of lone wolf that even the largest pack will fear.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:17 pm Article just posted by PCGamesN, The Division 2 single player guide: how to play The Division 2 solo
Can you play The Division 2 single player? Ubisoft’s apocalyptic looter shooter is heavily oriented around multiplayer, with heaps of The Division 2 clan features, multiplayer modes, and squad-based gameplay potentially discouraging solo gamers from diving in. So, instead of lamenting and not playing the game because you’re worried, just follow this The Division 2 single player guide to playing on your own.

It can be tough striking out on your own, but with the right set of tools it doesn’t have to be. If you really don’t want to work with others then follow these tips and you’ll be the kind of lone wolf that even the largest pack will fear.
Cool. Thanks for that link. I knew a lot of the tips from the hours of playing, but there were a few new tricks I hope I can use.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Cool, thanks JZ! 8-)
-mf
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:17 pm Article just posted by PCGamesN, The Division 2 single player guide: how to play The Division 2 solo

There are some goods tips in there but I think it's important to find your own way of doing things. For example, SMGs don't work for me at all (same with shotguns and assault rifles - also, I have NEVER blind-fired in this game at all). I found the LMG to be a great secondary weapon for me (primary are always sniper rifle or rifle). LMGs have a great stagger effect on enemies that helps enormously when they rush you, they also get a good damage bonus if the enemy is out of cover, which helps even more against the rush. Yes, reloading is painful but I use one with 120 rounds and around 50% is normally enough to chew through a yellow elite that is well armored).
I find the assault turret also to be the best skill to use but you have to employ it thoughtfully, both when it comes to placement as well as timing in a firefight but it can cover your flanks really well if well employes and --again-- helps against the rush.
The secondary skill I use all the time and which is great for solo is the healing drone (not sure what the correct term is). I think it's a game-changer when it comes to playing solo: it heals your armor quite well and you can also switch it to healing the armor of your turret. But the best thing is that it follows you, so even if you have to fall back, it will come with you and continue to help you (one of the hive things heals also well but you have to stay close to it, for example).

What is good is to have different loadouts for different tasks (but remember, you can't switch them once you are in a firefight). For example, I have one for fighting elites (which is what I'm switching to shortly after entering into a mission because you WILL get elites there). All the gear is tuned so that I get a huge damage bonus when fighting elites and some bonus against the damage they do to me. I also have one loadout for CQB, which consists of a fast-firing rifle (emphasize on damage output, not on range) with a very large magazine and an assault rifle as secondary for even closer distance and when the inaccuracy of the full-auto firing assault rifle doesn't bother me anymore.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Grabbed this for PS4 (couldn’t pass up $3). While it’s not my style of game at all, I messed around with it a bit tonight and actually had loads of fun. I doubt I’ll ever be good enough to get through a full story or anything, but those first few missions were a blast. Not sure if it’s the actual gameplay or just the novelty of running around in digital versions of places I’ve been a hundred times in DC, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I’d say I got my $3 worth already. :)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:29 pm I do have one question. When I got to Tier 1 it unlocked the Pilot and I have a notice on the bottom left of the screen saying "New locations available at the Pilot". However, when I go to the Pilot it does display a mission at Kenly College but it won't let me activate it. What prerequisite am I missing? It is not telling me :(
The Kenly College expedition went live today. From what I've read, it's on a 3 week cycle and will be up for 1 week then will go down for 2 weeks. You should get a pop-up alerting you to it the first time you log in while it's live.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The expansion is active today. Apparently I should have paid more attention to what they were changing about the base game. It appears they made significant changes to gear/weapon stats, and all of a sudden instead of a carefully crafted build I just have a random collection of trash, leading to a newfound ability to get slaughtered by mobs I was able to easily handle just yesterday.

I guess I've got some reading to do to figure out just what is up with the new systems.

ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:35 pm The expansion is active today. Apparently I should have paid more attention to what they were changing about the base game. It appears they made significant changes to gear/weapon stats, and all of a sudden instead of a carefully crafted build I just have a random collection of trash, leading to a newfound ability to get slaughtered by mobs I was able to easily handle just yesterday.

I guess I've got some reading to do to figure out just what is up with the new systems.
Yeah, no kidding - this is a pretty substantial revamp of the whole system. There are a lot of new icons and even HUD elements I have never seen. Recalibration also works very differently now (which is probably good). They seem to have dropped a couple of bonuses altogether - I had one loadout especially for fighting elites (which gave me +82% bonus for fighting elites) and it seems they have dropped that stat altogether (and all related perks and attributes are also gone).

Let us know if you find some good reading, I remember seeing something from Ubisoft where they explained their plans a while ago
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Is this the update that raises the level cap as well?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wish I could play TD2. I liked the first one well enough. Never finished it. Only played it single player. Had some fun in TD2 but my system will not play it smooth at all so its unplayable to me. Shame.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:18 pm Is this the update that raises the level cap as well?
If you go to NYC, gear score goes away (everything becomes level 30) and the level cap increases to 40, but if you stay in DC you keep the gear score but the cap increases to GS515. I was going to try to grind some better gear in DC before going to NYC, but the tuning is off for my taste. I'm too fragile to solo challenging missions, and the loot drops from hard missions seem like crap, so I gave up on that plan and just hopped on the helicopter.
Enlarge Image

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Talk about bad timing. I rage uninstalled TD2 yesterday after finally getting the unlocked helicopter to fly to Kenly College. My first mission there eventually had me in a big room with three terminals. I had to defend one of these terminals from attackers, and the terminal I had to defend switched around the three locations at intervals. I tried three times and got killed each time and finally gave up and uninstalled. But if there is something new to look at, heck, I'll reinstall and give it a try :roll:
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:45 pm Talk about bad timing. I rage uninstalled TD2 yesterday after finally getting the unlocked helicopter to fly to Kenly College. My first mission there eventually had me in a big room with three terminals. I had to defend one of these terminals from attackers, and the terminal I had to defend switched around the three locations at intervals. I tried three times and got killed each time and finally gave up and uninstalled. But if there is something new to look at, heck, I'll reinstall and give it a try :roll:
I tried Kenly College also last week (did a mission with a terminal in the student cafe) and died, also. Apparently, Kenly College gets a lot of hate because of the mission structure that requires you to run around while getting shot at, which is especially bad if you solo the missions. Oh, and getting rushed all the time by these crazy suicide guys and firebombed but other morons does not help, either. Shame, I liked the general idea of a more open structure instead of the tiny shooting gallery in the missions
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I reinstalled and fired up the game, and damn if it didn't ask me to pay for the DLC to go to NYC :evil:. Thankfully 66 years of life has given me the gift of asking myself if maybe there is something I should have done on my end before I go off ranting on the Ubisoft forum. And yup, there was something I missed. Since I already owned TD2 I never thought about having to do something special in the Uplay+ part of the client. Turns out I had never activated TD2 on the Uplay+ page. So I never had access to the Season Pass content. And that's why I never saw the preview either :doh:. So once I activated it in the client I have access to the expansion. I'll give it a try later on tonight.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The new expansion is Warlords of New York???

I would probably buy the game and expansion if it has a Snake Plissken Escape from New York mode!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:54 pm The new expansion is Warlords of New York???

I would probably buy the game and expansion if it has a Snake Plissken Escape from New York mode!
Off topic, but has there ever been a game of that movie?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not that I can recall. A shooter or a RPG would be cool. Maybe one like the original Fallout 1 & 2.

Is there anything I can do to make this game run smoother other than new hardware? I used a couple tweak sites when I tried it the first time and followed their guides but didn't help a bit.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hey, since I didn't go to NYC till today, does that mean I can no longer play the prologue missions at Coney Island? I really did screw up if I missed those... :doh:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I believe you can only do the Coney Island mission if you're still in DC. If you want to run it before doing the DLC, I guess you can always just use the level 30 boost on an alt character. Since pretty much all of your gear is obsolete once you hit NYC (a green L31 weapon will out-DPS a high-end L30, for example), there really isn't a down side to rolling an alt just to Coney Island then go to NYC.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:46 am I believe you can only do the Coney Island mission if you're still in DC. If you want to run it before doing the DLC, I guess you can always just use the level 30 boost on an alt character. Since pretty much all of your gear is obsolete once you hit NYC (a green L31 weapon will out-DPS a high-end L30, for example), there really isn't a down side to rolling an alt just to Coney Island then go to NYC.
I rolled up a new character and started in DC with a visit to the White House, but after being sent out to go to the first settlement I'm not seeing a way to go to the Coney Island prologue. Bummer. I do see the helicopter but that gives me the same dialog I saw when I sent my main character to NYC, so I'm guessing it will send me to lower Manhattan just like I did earlier. I'll hold off getting on the chopper with this character just in case I figure something out or someone figures out what I've done wrong.