Satisfactory

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Satisfactory

Post by jztemple2 »

My current empire :roll:. I've run hypertubes from my Hub to my shopping arcade and the arcade factory area, and from the Hub to the petroleum area where I now have nine fuel generators running. I wasn't sure of what I'm going to do next, but I'm getting really tired of having to run to my tractors which seem to run out of fuel at the most annoying times. I could spend time figuring out a better way to keep their stations fueled, but I think it might be times to start running a train line around the map.

Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I've been keeping at it. I had a few near burn-out moments, but I would press forward to unlock something new and the next 'new toy' seems to always get me back.

I'll list my key points of renewed vigor:

Foundations: getting those laid out a little above ground and claiming a large footprint to plan out my designs. Running everything organically forced me into little spaghetti worlds that just drained my inspiration.
Xeno-basher: finally a little more kick to my attacks. (I could just turn off combat, but I still want to see how I'm intended to consume the world, for now).
Coal Power: OMG. Took me a while to find the coal, but - yeah, getting moved away from bio-power (I still use both, but still) - and a more automated solution is such a burden off my back.
Tractor: Finally, a vehicle! OK, it's not the best - but it's something.
Rebar Gun: heh, fun to finally have a gun... one single weak shot, but still.
Hyper Tubes: I got this unlocked just in time... Just expanding from the main factory, out to the coal power plant started to become a little annoying - and the hyper-tubes saved the day.
Tickets: I had actually skipped the AWESOME shop stuff (mainly because I didn't really have any resources I wanted to just burn away), but - there are some very helpful things to get from there (like staircase & ladders)
Blade Runners: I was a fool about finding my first quartz node(s), so this came way too late for me - I think on a future replay, I could see myself trying to get this asap.

I just now unlocked Oil. I've not yet built a Truck. And I also just now unlocked an Explorer buggy - but I don't have my hopes up on either of those two vehicles being all that better than the tractor. The limits are more about the terrain.
I look forward to trains, but I worry I will be under-resourced -- I need to get my Steel productions set up as well as I have my Iron and Copper... and then I need to go to the ends of the earth to track down some oil next.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

My main factory, two floors. I'm paused on walls, as I plan to unlock a few ticket items and then sorta refresh the whole layout/structure with what I've learned.
Enlarge Image

My coal power plant - with a layout design to keep adding more.
Enlarge Image

And then here is a monster staircase I built in the pursuit of Quartz. (I feel like such a bone head with how long it took me to find the node I knew existed 500m away.)
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

I honestly was starting to get vertigo as I built/climbed that... and the Quartz node(s) were not up there... :( But there was an enormous radioactive spider. :evil:

I need to build a proper steel-related factory, perhaps a few really. I need to also build maybe a weapons factory (explosives/ammunitions), and another concrete and iron factory just to help build all the infrastructure I have planned.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:42 pm My main factory, two floors. I'm paused on walls, as I plan to unlock a few ticket items and then sorta refresh the whole layout/structure with what I've learned.
Enlarge Image
Wow, that's a lot more open space on your factory floor than I leave. I guess it makes sense for expansion. I really have to get over my aversion to putting down foundations before I build.
Unagi wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:42 pm My coal power plant - with a layout design to keep adding more.
Enlarge Image
Again, I didn't put my power plants on foundations, but I do have two groups of eight running now.
Unagi wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:42 pm And then here is a monster staircase I built in the pursuit of Quartz. (I feel like such a bone head with how long it took me to find the node I knew existed 500m away.)
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
I'm still missing some hard drives and slugs where the meter is pegging out but I'll be damned if I can see them :(
Unagi wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:42 pm I honestly was starting to get vertigo as I built/climbed that... and the Quartz node(s) were not up there... :( But there was an enormous radioactive spider. :evil:

I need to build a proper steel-related factory, perhaps a few really. I need to also build maybe a weapons factory (explosives/ammunitions), and another concrete and iron factory just to help build all the infrastructure I have planned.
I have the fauna hostility turned off, but maybe next time I'll give it a try. However, I think I'm giving up on this playthrough. I've gotten through Tier Six but my whole layout is such a mess I don't really think I have the energy to rebuild so much to make it logical. And I've learned a lot I want to use on my next playthrough, like building more end-to-end production lines early on so I don't do so much running around. And I guess I'll have to use math :shock: to calculate my production chains and make them more efficient.

So I'm guessing this will be my next starting area:
Enlarge Image

But when is the next update? Soon? Not soon? I'd really like to have that next big drop before I starting building again.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:43 pm But when is the next update? Soon? Not soon? I'd really like to have that next big drop before I starting building again.
They posted a video a couple weeks back about how much trouble the new update is causing (moving to UE5) and didn't give any clear indication of timeline as it would be a total guess.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

coopasonic wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:38 am
jztemple2 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:43 pm But when is the next update? Soon? Not soon? I'd really like to have that next big drop before I starting building again.
They posted a video a couple weeks back about how much trouble the new update is causing (moving to UE5) and didn't give any clear indication of timeline as it would be a total guess.
There was a huge showcase last week which seemed to indicate they've stabilized the build. Parts of the map were still being revamped so it felt like at least weeks away.

As an aside there are some quality of life improvements coming that'll greatly speed up builds. They'll add a 'nudge mode' when you can project a built object and then walk around and nudge it around before committing it which is going to be a big help for big refinery/blender/etc. sections. Also they'll be adding a feature to allow deletion of whole blueprints which will be a nice help.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, I suckered myself into starting a new session on that new area with hostile animals, skipping the onboarding and jumping right to Tier One. I quickly figured out how to avoid dying from the animals (after dying twice :roll:) and then spent two hours just getting two of the three next milestones done. Yeah, I think I'll just stay with my first session where I've completed through Tier Six instead of redoing everything.

So the new update is weeks away? Darn. OK, I'll do a reassessment of putting off the game until the new update drops. But I guess it might be possible that it will mess up saved games.

By the way, Wikipedia might note that onboarding was coined in the 1970s, but I swear I never heard the word used in my company :wink:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

They list what the changes to the world are going to be here:

It sounds like they hope to make everyone's save-games safe, and most should not be too impacted - but then again, it speaks to civilized people that are building on foundations. :D :wink:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I also kinda regret my starting location. (Grasslands)
It's beautiful and has some nice open spaces to build out upon, but all the resource nodes basically suck. That doesn't affect me too much right now, but I know it will limit the amount that I can really develop the area, so I sorta wish I had started elsewhere. I really did 'zero homework' before I started playing (which I like) so I was bound to make a number of missteps.

I have heard that it's still OK to start in the Grasslands because it forces you to leave - and make a larger factory elsewhere, and that is part of the logistic fun to be solved.

There are some starting locations that people list with 'cons' such as : "No reason to leave area"

I do keep teetering on the burn-out/addiction of the game. It's interesting.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've done through Tier 7 from every starting location and basically have no preference. By the time you get to the end, you are ranging far and wide for materials and hard drive. Really it seems more like a aesthetic choice and how challenging the first 3-4 hours will be.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Good to know.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:05 am They list what the changes to the world are going to be here:

It sounds like they hope to make everyone's save-games safe, and most should not be too impacted - but then again, it speaks to civilized people that are building on foundations. :D :wink:
I don't have the energy for 22 minute videos that are basically watching people talk, but then I never liked listening to college seminars or political speeches either. I'll wait for a Readers Digest version :wink:. I did download the press kit and have the maps from there.

Foundations are for people who don't want to feel the landscape :D
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well, the tl/dr would seem to be to avoid the bamboo forest and that other places may see some foliage added or moved a bit, and tiny gaps filled. Some other places may have some minor feature size tweaks leaving an existing player's structure now closer to a cliff edge or a little above the ground, for example.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:50 pm Well, the tl/dr would seem to be to avoid the bamboo forest and that other places may see some foliage added or moved a bit, and tiny gaps filled. Some other places may have some minor feature size tweaks leaving an existing player's structure now closer to a cliff edge or a little above the ground, for example.
Thanks! I've been reviewing the maps in the press kit and will keep those areas, especially as you mention the bamboo forest, in mind when expanding. I started on the Grasslands and it doesn't look like too many changes there. And I guess I'll break down and start putting in more foundations :roll:

I've decided my next task is to tear down all those small facilities I've built to make things like rods, plates and wire early on, now that I have factories that support the shopping arcade. That and start completing the rest of the milestones of Tier Seven.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, my testing seems to indicate that trains can enter stations for unloading in only one direction. Can I change directions with a loop at each end? Just to get the train back to the original station. I've tried this and can't get it to work, but maybe the end of the loop isn't lining up well enough with the original line when I loop it back into it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:12 pm OK, my testing seems to indicate that trains can enter stations for unloading in only one direction. Can I change directions with a loop at each end? Just to get the train back to the original station. I've tried this and can't get it to work, but maybe the end of the loop isn't lining up well enough with the original line when I loop it back into it.
You cannot - it's one way - from what I saw in a video.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:17 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:12 pm OK, my testing seems to indicate that trains can enter stations for unloading in only one direction. Can I change directions with a loop at each end? Just to get the train back to the original station. I've tried this and can't get it to work, but maybe the end of the loop isn't lining up well enough with the original line when I loop it back into it.
You cannot - it's one way - from what I saw in a video.

Thanks, I figured it would be something like that. Oh well, a circle it is!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:32 pm
I would think you can build two loops - connected. using the signals... but I'm still not anywhere near train stuff. And maybes that's what you were saying wouldn't/didn't work?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:04 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:32 pm
I would think you can build two loops - connected. using the signals... but I'm still not anywhere near train stuff. And maybes that's what you were saying wouldn't/didn't work?
I tried putting a small loop on the end of a linear line so the train could return, but I couldn't get it to work. Not a big deal, I'm planning on making it cover all my territory so a big loop will work.

Right now I'm trying to figure out my next goal. I think I'll be doing a lot of tearing down before I do some building up.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I can't recommend bidirectional side by side tracks enough. It requires t junctions at least but throughput wise it's a huge boost and take only slightly longer to build. Maybe I should run through my crazy build to show some of the insane train work I did. I have something like 40 stations in it when I automated the final stage.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

For the record you can absolutely do a single line with a loop around at each end (unless it was changed in the last major update). I'm not saying it's the right way, but I did it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:30 pm For the record you can absolutely do a single line with a loop around at each end (unless it was changed in the last major update). I'm not saying it's the right way, but I did it.
I tried that, but getting the free end to overlap over the line coming the other way was tough. It might be that I didn't get it good enough. But if you got it to work, that's great, I'll give it another try, it really would make the interim railroad simpler.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:52 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:30 pm For the record you can absolutely do a single line with a loop around at each end (unless it was changed in the last major update). I'm not saying it's the right way, but I did it.
I tried that, but getting the free end to overlap over the line coming the other way was tough. It might be that I didn't get it good enough. But if you got it to work, that's great, I'll give it another try, it really would make the interim railroad simpler.
Nope, I couldn't get it to work. But no great loss, I'm hours away from building my railroad anyway, I have to first start putting everything on foundations! :D
malchior

Post by malchior »

You can. I have one on a legacy part of my line.

The trick for me was to start it as a y to make sure the junction is created -- this is the crucial part -- then building out the loop to link it up.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

malchior wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:22 pm
You can. I have one on a legacy part of my line.

The trick for me was to start it as a y to make sure the junction is created -- this is the crucial part -- then building out the loop to link it up.
I'll give that a try, building the y first. That's the part that was giving me the trouble. Meanwhile I've deleted a bunch of buildings and belts near my Hub, as a kickoff to making more automation in creating parts I need. My intent is that if I need an item, I won't be carrying part A to put in a container for a building to use to make part B. And to link all the final assembly locations with hypertubes so I can zip around.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is a look at my new elevated factory, which is located in front of my Shopping Arcade. I realized that having all those containers with basic items could be used to supply more complex items. So I ran belts from some of those containers up to my new elevated factory. Using steel pipes and wire I'm making stators and rotors which I then assemble into motors. The two intermediate products are also available in containers on the ground, as are the motors.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

My only question is: Why does your hypertube drop you off just short of your destination?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:20 am My only question is: Why does your hypertube drop you off just short of your destination?
Apparently the run to the top deck was too steep, at least it wouldn't let me do it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

One of the issues that has been affecting my gameplay is that I keep needing to have a goal of some sort; I just can't just build unless I have some reason. As can be seen in the video above, I've expanded my "shopping arcade" to include rotors, stators and motors. And now I've just unlocked the Bauxite Refinement milestone, with bauxite scanning now needed since I need to make aluminum parts.
Enlarge Image

And I need those aluminum parts for my next Milestone, Aeronautical Engineering.
Enlarge Image

But it is time to retire the tractor routes and go with a train route. So that's my next big goal.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A quick video as I drive my train backwards down the route I just laid to the main station.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I finally figured out how to make the train loop back and return on the original track, so here is the video of my first run to carry sulfur from my mine to my main station. Very cool. And because I've now figured how to do the loop connection, I'm going to run separate trains to my other locations, like quartz and bauxite. Well, I might do those jointly. But certainly a separate train to my oil fields.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've now added a second train, this one goes to a common location between my raw quartz and bauxite mines. It's quite a ride on the train, definitely an E-ticket as the train pitches up and down going over tracks that I couldn't quite make level. Those hills and ridges are pesky!

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:46 pm
Unagi wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:20 am My only question is: Why does your hypertube drop you off just short of your destination?
Apparently the run to the top deck was too steep, at least it wouldn't let me do it.
Interesting, I've gone straight up pretty high, but it was a short run.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is my third train line which is picking up oil products from my oil producing area. These are rubber, plastic and polymer resin. I raised the arrival train station quite high so it would clear all the industry around it, so it's a nice descent to the sea(?) level oil fields.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've been working on an Alclad Aluminum Sheet production line and I decided to try a "clean deck" approach, where there are minimum belts and storage above deck. Instead, commodities are routed through belts and pipes on the underside of the massive elevated factory floor. I think this works pretty well. There is one belt above deck carrying silica, but that was a late fix and I'll probably move that down later.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been watching this one out of the corner of my eye for years. It looks really interesting, but I keep holding off because it also seems like a lot to jump into, and I already have a number of deep, complex games on my to-do list.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:43 am I've been watching this one out of the corner of my eye for years. It looks really interesting, but I keep holding off because it also seems like a lot to jump into, and I already have a number of deep, complex games on my to-do list.
I will say that, yes it is a lot, but it can also be pretty chill. There isn't really any time pressure as, unlike Factorio, the wildlife doesn't care about your factory. Sure, they want to eat you, but they don't go looking for you, they just harass when you get near them, but hey, that's on you!

Also, unlike Factorio, resources are infinite. Of course, you will need to find more resource nodes because you can only extract them at a certain pace and to expand you need more faster but a resource will never run out and send you looking for more iron nodes just to keep things running.

Don't get me wrong. I am not dissing Factorio. I am in the middle of a Factorio playthrough right now, in fact. It's just a different game, though Satisfactory very obviously takes a lot of inspiration from Factorio.

Satisfactory. It really is.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Also you can turn off animal hostility entirety.

The game ramps up slowly in complexity and as Coop says, it can be a surprisingly relaxing game.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

After 2 1/2 Total War campaigns, I need a change of pace. I think I'll give this a go (it being on sale on Humble doesn't hurt.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oof, I don't know when I'm supposed to get a power upgrade, but I've stripped the area around me bare of leaves, and it's now taking longer to collect them than they burn for.