Satisfactory

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Satisfactory

Post by malchior »

They've been rolling out incremental patches every few days. That historically is normal with the experimental branch especially near launch. It will slow down considerably in a week or two as they head out for holiday.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:37 pm
naednek wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:22 pm So I've been playing Experimental 8 and about every other day Steam makes me redownload it. Any one else having this issue, and how do you stop that?
Are you sure you aren't just getting a patched Experimental version every couple of days?
ya, someone posted a similar concern on Reddit. I'm not sure if I'm truly downloading 8GB when it's patched, but when it does say update, it has 8GB next to it.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I'm kind of at a standstill in the game. I've got production lines for all four of the Phase 4 Space Elevator requirements. I don't really want to start a new game and have to grind through all of the milestones again. Maybe I'll download Update 8, use the option to bypass all Tier requirements and start from there? Hmm... :think:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

naednek wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:15 pm
Unagi wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:37 pm
naednek wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:22 pm So I've been playing Experimental 8 and about every other day Steam makes me redownload it. Any one else having this issue, and how do you stop that?
Are you sure you aren't just getting a patched Experimental version every couple of days?
ya, someone posted a similar concern on Reddit. I'm not sure if I'm truly downloading 8GB when it's patched, but when it does say update, it has 8GB next to it.
I just started a download to upgrade from 7 to 8 and it is indeed 8 GB. So I'm wondering if perhaps the devs are causing the entire 7->8 update to be downloaded each time they make changes so that everything is in sync. That way they don't have to mess around with making uploads of only the changed files each time, they can just upload the whole Update 8 package each time.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:32 am I actually think I'm going to take a break for a little while. My mindset going into this wasn't in line with the game's expectations, and it threw me for a loop. I was approaching it as the wrong kind of game, looking at it at 1/30th of the scale at which it's meant to be played. I need to let those assumptions clear themselves out of my head before I go back in with a different mindset.

I'm getting the urge to make this attempt.

Either that, or take another stab at No Man's Sky.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Since I'm not really much of the exploring or creative type, I found Satisfactory much more appealing than NMS. I guess it's just the engineer in me :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Update 8 is now out on Early Access!. The video is great by the way.
Hi Pioneers!

Today Update 8 is now available on the Early Access version of Satisfactory for everyone to try out and have fun with it! This update showcases the combined efforts of the studio over more than a year worth of work with both Unreal Engine 5 and Update 8 as a whole, so there are a LOT of changes that have happened since Update 7 released on Early Access.

We’ve spent the last few months trying our best to stabilize as much as we can so you all can have a good experience when Update 8 releases on Early Access, with that being said, It never hurts to BACK UP YOUR SAVES :)

If you are experiencing issues, want to give us some feedback, or just post any cool ideas you might have, please let us know over at our QA/Questions Site: https://questions.satisfactorygame.com/ We always enjoy reading all your comments after a big update like this

Our community manager Snutt has prepared a new video for you all which goes over what’s new in Update 8 so be sure to check it out

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, nice.

I took a break when they released the experimental build for 8, planning on having another go when they finalized it. Now I just need to finish Diablo 4, BG3, and the CP2077 expansion (which I don't even own yet.)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I'm rather in a gaming funk right now and am thinking I'd like to go back to Satisfactory where I put in over 220 hours on just one location. For my new session I'm thinking about going with the Northern Forest starting area.

I did consider continuing my first session, but I took one look at it and decided I've done enough there :wink:

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Mine wasn't that complex, but it's been long enough that I wouldn't want to go back in and try to remember what was going where and why.
mori

Post by mori »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:31 pm So I'm rather in a gaming funk right now and am thinking I'd like to go back to Satisfactory where I put in over 220 hours on just one location. For my new session I'm thinking about going with the Northern Forest starting area.

I did consider continuing my first session, but I took one look at it and decided I've done enough there :wink:

Enlarge Image
Just started playing and after looking at that screenshot makes me want to put it down and just walk away :shock: .
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Me too! This isn't one of my top styles of games anyway. But that screenshot looked totally overwhelming.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I played about 80 hours, and I find that screenshot overwhelming.

I've watched a lot of videos. Some people lay stuff down wherever they can to get things from here to there, and others plan it out and have it neat. Both are valid. Not mine:

Enlarge Image

Also relevant: Like any management sim, by the time you get that big, you've learned how to manage big. It's not like you're getting dropped into that in hour 1 (or hour 30.)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

mori wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:20 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:31 pm So I'm rather in a gaming funk right now and am thinking I'd like to go back to Satisfactory where I put in over 220 hours on just one location. For my new session I'm thinking about going with the Northern Forest starting area.

Enlarge Image
Just started playing and after looking at that screenshot makes me want to put it down and just walk away :shock: .
As I was learning the game I just kept slapping down machines and belts any old which way, as long as it worked. I'm not the type who makes things tidy :wink:

On my second playthrough I'm going to be a lot neater. Or at least that's the plan.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah jzt's spaghetti is fairly typical of a learning playthrough that never got cleaned up. My first game probably looked like that for a good while, but once you know how things go together and how massively things expand, you can plan a lot better and make things way more organized. The picture Blackhawk posted looks more like my stuff and there are people that go WAY past that into pure aesthetics that you wonder if the factory even does anything.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I cleaned mine up several times during my first run. My one big mistake, and part of the reason I decided to step back and start over after the update, was that I absolutely did not understand the scale I'd need. I was at a point at which I either needed to tear down and rebuild, or go to a different location and build there. In other words, I'd basically be restarting anyway.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

You can always go vertical, if you go high enough, you'll find the space you need, unless you find massive (not quite) floating factories problematic.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I know. I could have made what I had work in a couple of different ways, but I decided I'd prefer just to wait a bit for the update to release and go in fresh. It was partially because I play building games with an eye for the aesthetics, and many of the fixes would have just looked bad (platforms of machinery sitting or stacked haphazardly just isn't me.) But mostly it was because I had the wrong mindset and expectations going in, which led me to have all sorts of cool ideas for what to do. Finding out that most of them were undoable after 70+ hours was frustrating, and was having an impact on my enjoyment. But I really liked the gameplay, so I decided that taking a break, letting those expectations fade, and coming back later with the right mindset was the thing to do.

Even games that give you freedom still have limitations - you have to play the game within the boundaries it was designed for.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I played enough of this game to know that my next playthrough will be epic and huge and done when the game actually releases. I have no desire to do everything that I envision taking on twice. I am a modest perfectionist (against my own imperfect standards) and I have a lot of design 'hang-ups' that I end up putting a lot of myself into. I'll do it all one more time.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:22 am I played enough of this game to know that my next playthrough will be epic and huge and done when the game actually releases.
I don't think I'm going to live that long :ninja:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I'm now building less haphazardly. This is my assembly system for Smart Plating, although the smelters are off-screen to the right. Each function is on its own foundation, I'll add walls later on. Each step past ingot making has a parallel storage container so I will be building up iron rods, plating, etc as I make the Smart Plating. When I have enough Smart Plating for the time being I'll delete the belts to that assembler and just let my stockpiles grow.

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

10/10 sandbox building game Satisfactory prepares for 1.0 launch
Beloved building game Satisfactory is finally heading out of early access, as developer Coffee Stain Studios makes the long-awaited decision to put out version 1.0 in 2024. After much teasing following the launch of Satisfactory update 8 in 2023, community manager Snutt Treptow explains that the team decided to “put all our efforts into the final version of the game moving forward.” With an ‘overwhelmingly positive’ 97% Steam rating from over 131,000 users, there’s plenty of reasons to be excited for the full release – and you can sign up now to join the Satisfactory 1.0 closed beta.

As Treptow explains, prior to Satisfactory update 8 the team behind one of the best building games on PC had been split into two projects since the launch of its fifth update. One team was constructing the patches and updates we’ve been seeing in the live version of Satisfactory, while the others have been working on the planned content for its 1.0 launch, which is planned to include more narrative elements among its many new features.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, nice. I took a break after my time in Update 7, as Update 8 was getting close and I had realized that I'd either need to rebuild or start over (I had no idea the kind of scale this game needs when I started out.) I've actually been getting the itch again, and had already reinstalled it, but I may just wait until 1.0 hits. It may be a while, but I'd rather go back into it content-complete.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »