[PC] New World

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: [PC] New World

Post by Daehawk »

Got invited to the tech test. Wont be able to post anything about it though. Not even sure it will run on a 760 and Win7. Shall see.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok Im not supposed to talk about the game but I cant get IN the game to even test it. I load the game and I always just stick at the field and farm screen background. I can see the different regions and Im in the best ping region. But thats it. It just keeps the little little loading circle going..I can see no worlds or create no characters. Anyone else in this? The PLAY button stays dimmed out.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Open Beta through Steam until tomorrow
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I was just thinking about this one again. How have you guys found the beta(s)?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

swing swing swing block swing swing swing block swing swing swing block swing swing swing block swing swing swing

gathering............... gathering.............. gathering.......

swing swing swing block swing swing swing block swing swing swing

Early PvE content couldn't be any less interesting. I got to level 13 this morning playing for a couple of hours. I have no idea what the story really is as I can't be bothered. The graphics are fine but kind of drab. A LOT of running around. Randomly generated faction quests. Small skill trees (as far as I can see at 7 mastery).

Having said all that. I'm still kind of interested I guess just because you are always progressing something. I don't like it but I want to keep playing it. I don't know how that is what my brain is telling me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm watching the opening cinematic, and all I can think about is that guy's masked conquistador helmet with its eye-sized, perfectly aligned eye holes. Even if made from a mold of the wearer's face, what about when you begin sweating? What if you had to wear a bandage on your head? No helmet for you? Or gain/lost 10 pounds over a season while deployed? Can't see. Worst helmet ever.

Also, I don't know if everyone else gets the same default model at the character creation screen, but it's hilarous lol. You're this soft-featured man with a dark-purple-looking bowl-cut with pixie-looking sideburns and a handlebar moustache. :lol:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sudy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:29 pm Also, I don't know if everyone else gets the same default model at the character creation screen, but it's hilarous lol. You're this soft-featured man with a dark-purple-looking bowl-cut with pixie-looking sideburns and a handlebar moustache. :lol:
It's random. My son and I got completely different initial character designs.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Well, rather than taking the time to create a serious character, I figured I'd go the CoH route with my first character a la The Ludicrous Mook.

Bingo Biff is born:

Enlarge Image

So I'm in the tutorial area and the game is running fine. The combat is fun enough for starters. But then I got stuck for five minutes looking for "Escape the Ship Graveyard to look for your Crewmates". No waypoints... that's fine. But there's no map at this point either, and the pretty tutorial area suffers from major invisible walls (but I get that tutorials have to be boxed in). Once I found it I realized they'd pulled a Valve and there was this huge sunbeam bathing the objective in a bright glow. But it's relatively subtle, especially if you've partaken of the devil's lettuce... I presume they were trying to be immersive.

So, I'm looking forward to continuing, but not a perfect first impression. Or maybe I'm just not a superior gamer. (Don't take this as a reason not to try it... I've literally played only 10 minutes.)

I think it's cool that character gender options don't exist--there's just two body types to choose from. Superficially this may seem like little more than removing/switching a label and unworthy of approval, but it forces you to think about things differently and must feel at least slightly more welcoming to some people for whom traditional labels don't apply. Though I'm sure there are many games that have done similar or far more... it's just the first time I've encountered this, myself.

Generally speaking, the character creator is average, or perhaps even poor. There are no body size options or sliders. There's a set number of faces and hairstyles. That said, most of them are very nice, so IMO it's more than the sum of its parts when it's easy to find a face you really like the look of. I realize this is done for gameplay/memory/art resource reasons--I don't have a huge problem with it. Every RPG doesn't need to have a Black Desert level of detail. (And in fact, I often find the games with too many options to give me analysis paralysis. At the beginning, you just want to play. Why don't more games give you a free appearance respec within the first 1 week/10 levels, etc.?)

And now it looks like it soft crashed on me? Temps are high, but not melty-high. Knocked out the video card for a moment it seems, one monitor blinked after another. But I couldn't get the game to come back. Admittedly, I haven't updated my drivers for several months. I'll do that before continuing.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm to level 6 (because I'm a slowbie), and I know it's not representative of the later game, but I have similar sentiments to coop.

Mainly, why are MMOGs and the crafting and combat contained within still so mundane in 2021? Like I get combat in an MMO can never be as complex as in a single-player game. And the combat here isn't bad; I'm slipping into is better than I did ESO, which feels similar so far. (Though I haven't gotten far, nor have I played ESO in a long time.) Why isn't there even a little more interactivity with crafting? Like, "tap the harvest button again when the concentric circles line up for a 10% yield boost". Just something to try to make the process less boring.

My problem is that I feel like I need to harvest everything I see, because I really have no idea what I'm going to need later. And some of these harvest times are excruciating with starter tools. Like 15 seconds, until you skill up. When I alt-tab to browse the web while I wait, it's too long. Also, I really don't know who balanced the audio or if it's just my antiquated setup, but crafting noises are like three times as loud as other sound effects by default. I chop down a tree and it's like someone's discharging a rifle next to my ear. MALP.

That said, the setting is different, it looks nice enough, and the music's good. I don't yet know whether I can see myself buying this, but I have been looking for an MMOG to veg out on. It gives you something moderately interesting to do. THIS IS NOT A REVIEW. THIS IS JUST CYNICAL FIRST IMPRESSIONS.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

So I'm level 9 and the beta's shutting down in a few hours. I know I've seen and done barely anything. But I think I can conclude I could see myself playing this for a while with the understanding that I'll have to push myself to get involved with the matchmade PvP. I watched a good preview video that suggested the PvE is pretty basic and repetitive fare, but if you're someone who wants to experience a balance between PvE, PvP, and crafting, this could be a good game for you. However, if you want nothing to do with PvP whatsoever, it's ultimately probably not worth investing your time/money.

The game draws you in and is very good and giving you things to do. The combat isn't particularly evolved, but it's cleanly done and is quite smooth for an MMOG. I see definite parallels to Guild Wars 2 and Elder Scrolls Online (and the Neverwinter MMO I'm told; I played it for a month years ago but can hardly remember it). Beyond combat though, this notably diverges from these other titles in its focus on crafting/survival/PvP.

At first glance, the factions seem pretty... bland. Ravenclaw, Sassy Gryffindor, or Pious Gryffindor. (Hufflepuff? I dunno, I hate Harry Potter.) Aren't these pretty much the same choices as Secret Life, and 75% of all other RPGs I've played in the past 25 years? "Marauders." "Syndicate." "Covenant." "Random noun." :lol:

I guess my disappointment is that some of the preview hype seemed to indicate this was something new, or at least a grand refinement. But it seems more like just another fresh coat of paint on the same horse. That said, it's not a bad horse... just one you've ridden before. Albeit maybe not all in one game before. So kind of like one half of a reliable horse stitched onto the other half of a trite one.

It's kind of bizarre, but it strikes me as both a semi-ambitious, decently designed spin on the genre while simultaneously being the culmination of the the dumbing down and genericization of MMORPGs. It plays it safe, and was probably focus tested to death. But then, I'm only level 9 so I probably don't know what I'm talking about. 8-) At least the theme and setting are a little fresh. (But if you squint, you can probably imagine you're playing GW2 or ESO.)

I think whether I pick it up at launch will depend on the strength of the OO/Wanderers effect and how much spare cash I have approaching the end of the month. At the very least I would eagerly pick it up on sale in the next year when I'm craving an MMOG.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I feel compelled to add that it's annoying the game evidently doesn't have swimming, yet it will let you walk across the bottom of seabed between two islands without much of a warning you're about to die. There's a "lungs icon" countdown, but that doesn't help much when it's hard to gauge travel time. Obviously, this contradicts my distaste for invisible walls from the tutorial. But IMO if you're going to have completely empty sections of land you should probably try to at least make it clear to players that they're an implied boundary.

rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Hey Sudy (and other people on the fence), I definitely encourage you to join in on the fun during launch. It will likely be some form of clusterf- the first few days but that's really part of the fun. I'm reading a book that emphasizes the importance of "experiences," and I'm fairly certain the launch experience on this one is going to be memorable one way or another lol. At bare minimum you should be able to experience some of the worst puns/jokes in gaming history made by yours truly. :horse: :horse: :horse:
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Hmm, I'm tempted. I do find myself thinking about playing it today.

Are you with the Wanderers group organizing on Discord? Can you get me an invitation to said Discord?

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

So I did download the beta and play for a bit. But didn't last more than maybe a half hour. It seemed ok I guess, but nothing struck me as interesting enough to want to log in and spend time playing. I'm undecided whether if was because the game was lackluster, or I'm in a restless period of gaming.
I'm glad others enjoyed it.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Sudy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:24 pm Hmm, I'm tempted. I do find myself thinking about playing it today.

Are you with the Wanderers group organizing on Discord? Can you get me an invitation to said Discord?
Yes of course, do I have your Discord? (Edit: found it!)

Also if you aren't a member already, you can join the www.the-wanderers-guild.com website for more info, it's posted there as well.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Looks like release may actually happen next week, fingers crossed!!

Looking forward to sitting in 10 hour queues and bitching about it on the forums, yeeehaaawww!!!

Also hoping to game with some old familiar faces/names again.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yep, I've put all other major games on hold in preparation for this. Will be mighty good to adventure with the Wanderers again!

Just look for the hottest female avatar you can find, and that will be me. :P
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:54 pm Yep, I've put all other major games on hold in preparation for this. Will be mighty good to adventure with the Wanderers again!

Just look for the hottest female avatar you can find, and that will be me. :P
Have the Wanderers picked a server? I checked the front page of their site and the forums but I don't see anything.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Falias/US East if I understood the Discord conversation correctly, but I don't think it's been finalized yet. With a US West backup server to follow.

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Sudy wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:05 am Falias/US East if I understood the Discord conversation correctly, but I don't think it's been finalized yet. With a US West backup server to follow.
Thanks. I joined the Discord server thingy to see what's what.

I'm old so I don't really "do" Discord. :oops:

I believe we also need to pick a faction as well.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I believe we're going to be the green piratey party faction.

Edit: That would be Marauders, per Charlatan on 09/15 on Discord.

Exodor wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:41 am I'm old so I don't really "do" Discord. :oops:
Just think of it as IRC with emojis. ;)

rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Hey Ex (and anyone else interested)... I realize there are people who are kind of adverse to Discord (I was one of them until very recently), so I will try to keep info up on the main forum as well. Basically I think of Discord now as an organized messaging app, so that kind of got me over the hump of resisting it. I'm actually pretty impressed with it now that I've gotten used to it, it's a nice niche kind of in the middle between phone messaging and traditional forums.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The barrier of entry to Discord is low, but it is ideal to have the desktop application. Though you can also access it is your browser or on your phone. It really is just an advanced chatroom. Slack, but for fun stuff.

My one criticism about the Wanderers server is that important info needs to be pinned. But I imagine that will come as we approach launch, or it will appear on the forum. (And I say this as the person who created the OO Discord server and then promptly went out for pack of cigarettes and never returned. :?)

Jag

Post by Jag »

Wife and kid going out of town for 5 days. Coming back on launch day. The gaming gods are laughing at me.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My video card started overheating last night. :grund:

I took it out, cleaned off some dust (admittedly it was pretty bad), and then reseated it and verified the fans were spinning. Also realized my top case fan that blows directly on it had gone out, so I fixed that. Crossing fingers it's OK. This weekend I'm going to take the whole PC apart and clean it really well - it's overdue for some attention..
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I hope it was nothing serious.

So I've been selling Steam cards all weekend trying to get a discount before the end of the pre-order period. I'm to $18.30. I want to get to $20. :lol:

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Video card seems fine, looks like the top case fan going out is what pushed it over the edge. Didn't have any problems over the weekend playing several hours of Avengers. All set for tomorrow!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I really don't have time for this but is there an option to dye all your armor green? Asking for a friend. :mrgreen:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jag

Post by Jag »

Pre-load is out. You can even launch the game and play around with settings but no servers are up. First thing I did was cap the frame rate in game. I'll remove it if we don't hear about graphics cards spontaneously igniting.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

A video card dying is like having to pay for a major car repair right now. So that's terrifying. ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Jag wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:09 pm First thing I did was cap the frame rate in game.
Haha, same.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Put two hours in this morning as soon as servers opened up. Got to level 11. I think I only got to 14 or 15 in the beta as I didn't want to repeat too much. No surprises in the release version that I could see. I saw Harkonis in game a couple times. I'm in stealth mode as Kyra Frostheart, I think. She's a distant relative of my original Everquest Barbarian Warrior, Kupa Frostheart. I've been sword and board and 100% solo so far.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:39 am Put two hours in this morning as soon as servers opened up. Got to level 11. I think I only got to 14 or 15 in the beta as I didn't want to repeat too much. No surprises in the release version that I could see. I saw Harkonis in game a couple times. I'm in stealth mode as Kyra Frostheart, I think. She's a distant relative of my original Everquest Barbarian Warrior, Kupa Frostheart. I've been sword and board and 100% solo so far.
Bunch of us are in The Wanderers on Falias NA East.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Pretty good launch so far - the only "issue" I've run into is the running animation getting stuck. My character often scoots along the ground with my legs stuck mid-stride or sometimes stuck in the falling animation.

If that's the worst launch day issue I think things are going well.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jag wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:00 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:39 am Put two hours in this morning as soon as servers opened up. Got to level 11. I think I only got to 14 or 15 in the beta as I didn't want to repeat too much. No surprises in the release version that I could see. I saw Harkonis in game a couple times. I'm in stealth mode as Kyra Frostheart, I think. She's a distant relative of my original Everquest Barbarian Warrior, Kupa Frostheart. I've been sword and board and 100% solo so far.
Bunch of us are in The Wanderers on Falias NA East.
I am on that server as well (waiting in queue right now for some lunchtime gaming) -- haven't decided on joining wanderers. I have been in the same gaming guild for 22 years, joining another for New World feels like cheating even if they don't have a presence here.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, this is the smoothest/most playable MMORPG launch I can remember participating in. It may be crowded, but the spawn rates mean you're never waiting for long, if it all. Yeah, you can kind of steamroll quests in populated areas, but at some point you'll find yourself alone and you'll need to be careful. And being able to do the initial stuff at a faster pace when you have few weapon skills doesn't hurt, either.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sudy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:51 pm Yeah, this is the smoothest/most playable MMORPG launch I can remember participating in.
I mean we are talking about the company that manages infrastructure for some pretty big players... I expected things to be pretty smooth. Honestly I am a little annoyed by the queuing even if it makes sense.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm going with a hatchet/bow skirmisher. I really like the archery in this game as it feels a bit more skill-based than most MMOs. And while having to keep up with ammunition sounds like a pain, I actually sort of like the realism and challenge it brings.

Having a great time so far. Aside from the queues, it's running smooth. I played the beta, but never went very deep past the opening quests. It took almost no time today to get caught up and start seeing some new content.
Schroeder

Post by Schroeder »

Is the clan/company formed? Still going marauders?

Haven’t played an mmo since WoW back with the Wanderers there coming out of beta.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:24 pm I'm going with a hatchet/bow skirmisher. I really like the archery in this game as it feels a bit more skill-based than most MMOs. And while having to keep up with ammunition sounds like a pain, I actually sort of like the realism and challenge it brings.

Having a great time so far. Aside from the queues, it's running smooth. I played the beta, but never went very deep past the opening quests. It took almost no time today to get caught up and start seeing some new content.
I was planning to go hatchet/bow as well but I kind of like the sword and shield as my melee weapon - my old man fingers are too slow to dodge reliably so I'm more comfortable cowering behind a shield to block incoming blows.

I got a musket as a drop and it seems to do a lot more damage than the bow but the ammo is a lot more difficult to make. Wood, flint and feathers for arrows are easy to come by but gunpowder is beyond my reach as a newbie. I may switch to musket if I can secure a reliable ammo supply.

I logged in early this morning and played for 6 hours or so before breaking for lunch. Now I'm stuck in a queue trying to get back in. :cry:
s the clan/company formed? Still going marauders?
The Wanderers are up and running on USE Falias as Marauders.