Baldur's Gate 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:17 pm I don't have any connection to BG3 (yet) so my feelings aren't as strong as others. That said, I'm guessing the success of the game + the success of The Legend of Vox Machina on Amazon has they looking at the Baldur's Gate series with dollar signs in their eyes.

I would probably agree that a generic series in the Forgotten Realms would be better.
Not to mention the film. D&D is a big license right now. FWIW, Vox Machina is only peripherally D&D - WotC had no part in it, so the only real connection is that it's based on a D&D campaign. Not that WotC minds - fans are likely to seek out Critical Role, which was one of the reasons D&D exploded in 5e to begin with. Matt Mercer and Whil Wheaton were probably the two biggest catalysts for the tabletop golden age we've been (are?) having.j

To elaborate on what I said earlier, original would be much, much better than trying to tell the same story with the same characters from the game. That's going to be impossible to pull off. If they want to draw on that particular license, just call it "Baldur's Gate", or "Tales from Baldur's Gate", or whatever. Baldur's Gate is just the name of a city on the coast, not a storyline. They could certainly have cameos from the characters, and it could certainly tie in to the story in BG3, but it needs to be an original story.

And, it's worth noting, that there's a well-written and well-received comic book series that's also called Baldur's Gate that's set in this same place and time period as BG3 (and even did a prequel story for it.) It also has a series of stories and characters they could draw from, and has connections to the earlier games as well. Minsc is a main character, and others play supporting/cameo roles - although
Spoiler:
Coran
features prominently.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Too bad they just hit WotC as part of Hasbro's layoffs

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:58 am Not really sure how I feel about this

Netflix rumored to be looking at live action Baldur’s Gate 3.

I guess my first reaction is just…why?
I love it when a website reports on a rumor that a different website reported 3 months ago as if it's actual news. Such journalism, so wow!

Anyway, the OG rumor was that Netflix was possibly maybe interested in licensing the Baldur's Gate series (setting?), not that they were considering a direct adaptation of Baldur's Gate 3 itself.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I would love to see Minsc — Buttkicking for Goodness!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And I think Dave Bautista would make a terrific Minsc.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well I finally took the plunge and am on a new playthrough on Honour Mode. This is a big change for me as there is no save scumming. For example, if you save before a battle and it is not going well, if you quit and reload it takes you right back into the middle of the battle. Now I have to sweat out all dice checks, but I haven't lost any critical ones yet. I did manage to get the Everburn blade in the tutorial, just barely. I didn't quite kill the Commander, but I used the command spell to make him drop it. You can cheese the mode by keeping one party member in camp to rez the other 3 if they wipe.

Fortunately my mastery of Act 1 has served me well, and I have not resorted to that cheese. I got to level 4 and geared out with mostly magical items before taking my first long rest. However, the vendor prices are brutal and I am hoarding my geld for a ring that was trivial before. I have not wanted to risk pickpocketing so far.

This is actually a whole new gaming experience, like I'm playing real D&D or something.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:49 pm I did manage to get the Everburn blade in the tutorial, just barely. I didn't quite kill the Commander, but I used the command spell to make him drop it. You can cheese the mode by keeping one party member in camp to rez the other 3 if they wipe.
How do you put a member in camp before even getting off the nautiloid?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Fardaza wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:01 pm
Jaymann wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:49 pm I did manage to get the Everburn blade in the tutorial, just barely. I didn't quite kill the Commander, but I used the command spell to make him drop it. You can cheese the mode by keeping one party member in camp to rez the other 3 if they wipe.
How do you put a member in camp before even getting off the nautiloid?
Sorry, that sentence order was misleading. That only works once you get past the tutorial.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:28 pm And I think Dave Bautista would make a terrific Minsc.
Oh, he would be perfection, but the CGI Boo would drive me nuts.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I'm too scared of honor mode just yet, but I'm nearing the end of Act I on a new tactician playthrough. It is harder than default, but not OMG harder (especially if you already know what you are doing from a previous run through).

My party, using companions I left in camp during my 1st run:

Tav: War Cleric (tanky + cleric stuff)
Karlach: tavern brawler thrower build/cute little dances
Wyll: respecced to a lore bard to be my "do anything" char (with cutting words/counterspell/bunch of debuffs he can really frustrate the bad buys)
Gale: as the usual evocation wizard nuker

When I finally do an honor mode run, I think I'll go for a power hungry sociopath dark urge who avails himself of any and all naughty powers/alliances that may be had.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

After much thought I have put together my ultimate team for Honour Mode:

Half-Orc* Fighter/Cleric: When downed they go to 1 HP instead of zero.

Duergar* Ranger Gloom Stalker Archer + Sharpshooter + Rogue: Get racial unlimited invis at level 5 (out of combat).

Deep Gnome Scorcerer: Advantage on Stealth, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma saving throws. Sorc can cast extended greater invis on the Ranger at level 7.

Lightfoot Halfling* Monk with Open Hand/Tavern Brawler. Stealth advantage + Hafling Luck.

*These races are available as hirelings.

So no origin characters but I get my fill of those on other modes. A cheesy trick is to respec Gale as a Cleric to cast Warding Bond on one of your team then have him remain in camp off the team. He can't die.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I'd be wary of relying on Warding Bond.
I didn't know what it was so i looked it up.
Rules say it's only goid for 60 feet.
The devs might find out about this loophole and fiix it later.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Punisher wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:30 am I'd be wary of relying on Warding Bond.
I didn't know what it was so i looked it up.
Rules say it's only goid for 60 feet.
The devs might find out about this loophole and fiix it later.
I tried it with a hireling instead of Gale, and they died, so they must have been taking half damage. It is a well known trick, so a nerf would not surprise me.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well I almost bought the farm on my Honour Mode run. Where? At the dang Ancient Grymforge. There were extra magma mephits coming at me from both sides. And the stupid Grym kept regenerating full HP. Eventually I was down to just my Druegar who survived using invis and hide and I waited until Grym took out the mephits. But when I tried to escape, Grym had detect hidden and hit me twice. Finally he missed a check and I was able to escape combat and fast travel out since my other 3 characters were dead.

Incredibly after rezzing everyone I was able to turn it into a win. I used the boots of feather fall for my Druegar to jump down to the lowered platform. Grym was still out but I immediately went invis and looted my Adamantine Armor from the forge (not caring if I died). Emboldened by this I stamped out an Adamantine Shield and did a loot and scoot.

Though I didn't kill Grym for his helmet (I wonder if I can pickpocket him), I may come back at level 9.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

You know you can hit Grym with the forge, right?
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:26 am You know you can hit Grym with the forge, right?
Yes, but it only does damage if he is superheated from the lava. I had no trouble with him on other modes.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I found a sweet strategy where a boss offers to let you side with him. You agree, but once the battle starts you attack the boss's minions. They don't fight back, and the "good guys" help you take them out. Once the battle winds down you mop up the survivors, including the boss. This has worked swimmingly on two occasions:
Spoiler:
After freeing Nere from the cave in, I used this method and he never turned hostile though I was peppering him. I also called in Lump and his ogres, so a free for all ensued.

Kar'niss eventually caught on and attacked me when there was only one Harper left and he was down about a third. He was no match at that point and I got his precious lantern. On Honour Mode he got back up with half life while I was looting, but didn't last long.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well I have made it to Act 3 on my Honour Mode run. After my close call I was taking no chances - full on murder hobo to be sure I would reach level 10 before taking on Ketheric. And the game is so stingy with gold that I murdered vendors and sold their wares to other vendors. Honour Mode is not about honor, it's about survival.

Now that I'm in Act 3 I can relax a bit as I can easily skip some tougher bosses still get to level 12. Should be a challenge.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

FYI, the first discount I've seen on this game just hit the PSN for the low low price of $62.00.
FTE
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yup, 10% off for the Steam sale that began today.

So... anything spoiler-free I should know before I jump in and ignorantly gimp my experience?

I didn't play BG1/2 and have only a modest understanding of D&D mechanics and lore, but I know that doesn't matter much. But is there a spoiler-free guide you'd recommend I read first/do you have any important tips, or am I safe just diving in?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sudy wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:35 pm Yup, 10% off for the Steam sale that began today.

So... anything spoiler-free I should know before I jump in and ignorantly gimp my experience?

I didn't play BG1/2 and have only a modest understanding of D&D mechanics and lore, but I know that doesn't matter much. But is there a spoiler-free guide you'd recommend I read first/do you have any important tips, or am I safe just diving in?
It is hard for me to step back and give advice without spoilers. I would recommend playing a Druegar, they get unlimited invisible at level 5, and I have done much soloing using that. Also use stealth as much as possible. Sneak right up to the red line before initiating combat. Use the potions and spell scrolls that you find - a big help. Add Guidance and any other advantageous spells for conversations. You are in for a fun ride my friend.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Scraper wrote:FYI, the first discount I've seen on this game just hit the PSN for the low low price of $62.00.
This is one of the few games I paid full price for, and I’m glad I did.

If you’re eyeing this game and can afford the price tag, I would recommend it.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's hard to believe, but after 1,500+ hours I am still finding things I did not know about in Act 3:

You can buy a Dwarven Thrower hammer which returns to thrower and does double damage if wielded by a dwarf. I hired a Druegar and did a respec to Eldritch Knight for Bind Weapon which guarantees it will return. Renamed them M. C. Hammer. 8-)

You can find a scroll in the Sorcerous Sundries Vault that can summon a Deva (if you have fought one you know how tough they are). A wizard can memorize it at level 9 for permanent access. Respec for Halsin.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

1,500 hours? That's more than a full time job ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If we're calling 30hrs/week FT, then sure.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It depends on how many of those hours were logged during early access. It has been 143 days since the game was released, so if it was all post launch playtime, then it would be over 10 hours per day, 7 days a week. Less than working full time at a game developer or at Xitter, but more than a typical full time job. /s

For comparison, given about 21 weeks since launch and a "normal" 40-hour work week, "full time" would come to about 840 hours.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

About 500 was in early access, so 1,000 hours in 21 weeks = 47 hours per week. Which is less than I used to put in at work.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well my Honour Mode run is over, but I can't help thinking I was robbed. I had one unfortunate dice check and no inspirations left:
Spoiler:
I tried to pledge myself to Bhaal with Sarevok. I failed the check but killed him rather easily. But when I attempted to kill Orin, Bhaal was giving her 12 unstoppable charges every turn. Even so, I got her down to 1/3 health before a character died. So I went invisible and retreated very far. But I got killed by some BS off screen spell. Had I known this was coming I would have left one character in camp to rez the others.
I think I will give it one more shot, I want to at least get past that point.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

This is a lot of fun.

Also, the game's narrator is really quite good.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Unagi wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:46 pm This is a lot of fun.

Also, the game's narrator is really quite good.
Great video. Although now whenever someone in my party talks, I visualize the voice actor instead of the avatar.

Edit: Here is my favorite voice actor, who does Minthara.

Emma Gregory
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Man this game is hard but fun, and frustrating. I just met Haslin or whatever his name is (druid). I offered him to join us but warned me that if he did, it would result in not being able to be discrete. He wasn't kidding. Party of 5 against 15 goblins and Cult fanatics.

Reload yet again
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

The cast playing dnd was great. It also led to a really funny funeral in a follow up video.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I made it back to Act 3 in Honour Mode. I am going all in on dishonorable mode with: Attack of the Killer Monk. This is totally evil, and may even get patched out, but the game does not fight fair so neither do I.
Spoiler:
In Act 3 some of the vendors have choice items. What you can do is sell them a bag in trade mode then go into barter. Open the bag and move all of their good items, including gold, into the bag and close the trade screen. Then I come in solo with my open hand monk and quickly kill them. Loot the bag and get all the choice items for free. Why a monk? Because they need no weapons or inventory items. If by chance you get captured and thrown in jail there is nothing for them to take from you. You send the monk thief's tools and an invis potion and they can escape without having to reclaim inventory.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Apparently it's possible to get Raphael's Helldusk Armor as soon as Act 1. You have to avoid talking to him as long as possible, such that he'll eventually just show up in camp. Then once he's in camp you knock him out and loot the armor.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:25 pm Apparently it's possible to get Raphael's Helldusk Armor as soon as Act 1. You have to avoid talking to him as long as possible, such that he'll eventually just show up in camp. Then once he's in camp you knock him out and loot the armor.
OMG I have an Act 1 playthrough, I am totally going to try that.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:31 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:25 pm Apparently it's possible to get Raphael's Helldusk Armor as soon as Act 1. You have to avoid talking to him as long as possible, such that he'll eventually just show up in camp. Then once he's in camp you knock him out and loot the armor.
OMG I have an Act 1 playthrough, I am totally going to try that.
Here's the details.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

In before the nerf!! Got Raphael's Helldusk Armor in Act 1!

And let no one say I don't know how to roleplay. I give you Amos (a barbarian spearchucker) and Peaches (an open hand monk) roaming the wilderness together.

I struggled to get Raphy to spawn in camp until I found this video, which includes the crucial step of casting Silence on him. I even knocked him out a few more times and his gold respawns!

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Very disappointed that the barbarian wasnt nameds Peaches and the Monk named Cream.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I've already bought the game but the Digital Deluxe DLC is available for $9.99. Does anyone have it and is it worth it?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Punisher wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:13 pm Very disappointed that the barbarian wasnt nameds Peaches and the Monk named Cream.
Names can be changed at the magic mirror. But you've never watched The Expanse?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter