Elden Ring

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Elden Ring

Post by coopasonic »

If any of you are on PC and need help, my mage would be happy to see what she can do. :) If it's Malenia, find someone better though. I barely made it through that fight and have no interest in doing it again. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Finally got those bastard gargoyles! Upgraded my mimic to +7 then rock slinged them to death. Only took two tries that way (and had the 2nd gargoyle down to one hit on my first try).
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Ya know what would be nice?
A way to know if you already beat a boss.
There is a item I'd like and I think I've beaten the boss who drops it, but it's not in my inventory.
So I have to trapse all the way through the tunnel again in the hope that I didnt already beat him.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I try to put down a marker on the sites where a boss is (monster face!) and then replace that with a marker of a sword when I beat them. Of course, that only works well if I remember to do that, which has probably been only 50% of the time.
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:18 am I try to put down a marker on the sites where a boss is (monster face!) and then replace that with a marker of a sword when I beat them. Of course, that only works well if I remember to do that, which has probably been only 50% of the time.
That's a good idea.
Where were you 300 hours ago?
:D
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I finally finished up the Ranni questline this morning. I have to say, without a guide there's no way I would have finished it. Somehow I missed the teleporter in Renna's Rise and without finding that there's no way to finish the quest. And even after that the quest is so vague at times that it's damn near impossible to figure it all out on your own without just stumbling across certain items.
FTE
Jag

Post by Jag »

Scraper wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:16 am I finally finished up the Ranni questline this morning. I have to say, without a guide there's no way I would have finished it. Somehow I missed the teleporter in Renna's Rise and without finding that there's no way to finish the quest. And even after that the quest is so vague at times that it's damn near impossible to figure it all out on your own without just stumbling across certain items.
It really is impossible to fully experience the game without a guide. While it is by far the most user friendly souls game, you really need to have a browser open to play it.

I had stopped playing Souls games because of the brutal time suck and lost progress. As someone else said, ER addressed these 2 biggest concerns by giving more spawn points with less running back and decent farming areas to make up for any lost runes. I just lost a total of 250K in consecutive deaths. In any former Souls game, I would have probably quit because of it. But I know I can make it up pretty quickly now with endgame mobs.

Here is another trick I learned on Reddit. You can put in a group password and anytime someone kills a boss you get a Rune buff, like the golden fowls foot. Since there are thousands of players in the group, the buff is almost ALWAYS on. I just learned it and it's pretty nuts. It doesn't affect your game in anyway. They can't invade or anything.

Here is an article on it:
https://www.destructoid.com/elden-ring- ... rind-buff/

Here are the passwords. I'm using SEEKERS but you can use more than one.
Popular group passwords
“SEEKERS” — VaatiVidya
“straydmn” — r/EldenRing
“FEXTRA” — Fextralife Elden Ring Wiki
“fcb” — FightinCowboy
“Koopy” — r/TwoBestFriendsPlay
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

DS3 actually reduced bonfire distanced greatly. I think ER just continued that. ER has a lot of features designed to make the game more accessible to those who thought DS games were too hard. It would have been nice with the open world concept they had added a journal or some way to track quests.
Black Lives Matter
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Jag wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:36 am Here is another trick I learned on Reddit. You can put in a group password and anytime someone kills a boss you get a Rune buff, like the golden fowls foot. Since there are thousands of players in the group, the buff is almost ALWAYS on. I just learned it and it's pretty nuts. It doesn't affect your game in anyway. They can't invade or anything.

Here is an article on it:
https://www.destructoid.com/elden-ring- ... rind-buff/

Here are the passwords. I'm using SEEKERS but you can use more than one.
Popular group passwords
“SEEKERS” — VaatiVidya
“straydmn” — r/EldenRing
“FEXTRA” — Fextralife Elden Ring Wiki
“fcb” — FightinCowboy
“Koopy” — r/TwoBestFriendsPlay
Holy crap, that's awesome.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I have “seekers” and “qt3” as my groups and I am constantly getting buffed.
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I went up against the fire giant dude for the first time yesterday and it was hilarious. I spent about 15 minutes slicing away at his foot with a crappy bleed weapon, which seemed a little pathetic for a guy trying to become an “Elden Lord,” but I have no shame. Unfortunately it still killed me during the second phase. I think I need to beef up my weapons or my summons before I go again. I really do love the character/boss designs - not so much the mechanics but the designs are phenomenal. Like fighting a giant feels like a GIANT.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm at almost 90 hours now and I'm STILL not at the fire giant stage of the game. I keep going back and finding stuff I missed in previous areas. However, I'm a little overpowered now, as I mentioned earlier. I took a run through Mt. Gelmir last night to try and get the map fragment in order to see what was up there, and took out a dragon and a giant boss with very little trouble with my level 80 confessor. At this rate, I'm betting I don't finish this game until at least 150 hours or so. :oops:
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I was like 120ish hours when I finally said I really need to finish this. And I certainly didn't do everything so that doesn't sound too crazy. The game is just insanely huge. It seems big and first and then it keeps on expanding until you realize how insane it truly is. I do think the ending areas start to show some strain of them trying to finish the game. Tons of repeat mobs. It would be cool if they did a directors edition or something where they redo the ending areas. I'd like that more than a new section personally.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jag

Post by Jag »

Octavious wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:01 pm I was like 120ish hours when I finally said I really need to finish this. And I certainly didn't do everything so that doesn't sound too crazy. The game is just insanely huge. It seems big and first and then it keeps on expanding until you realize how insane it truly is. I do think the ending areas start to show some strain of them trying to finish the game. Tons of repeat mobs. It would be cool if they did a directors edition or something where they redo the ending areas. I'd like that more than a new section personally.
That was the same point I was. I finished it yesterday, but not without looking up some guides and doing a bit of item/spell farming for the final fights. I also cheesed (I mean REALLY cheesed) some of the final fight. But I'm not proud, I still did it :D
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

90 hours.
120 hours.

Am I that bad or you guys that good?
Wait....dont answer that.......

He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

We all approach it at our own pace with our own agenda. I tend to play fast to get to the end and on to the next game for whatever reason. Other people get lost in the game world, some figuratively, some literally. As long as you enjoy it, does it really matter how you go about it?

We may tease, but we don't judge.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:12 pm We all approach it at our own pace with our own agenda. I tend to play fast to get to the end and on to the next game for whatever reason. Other people get lost in the game world, some figuratively, some literally. As long as you enjoy it, does it really matter how you go about it?

When I finished I looked to see who else had also finished and saw that you earned all achievements and with much less spent. And then I felt bad :)
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I've played every game since Demon Souls. So honestly I should have been faster than most people.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:12 pm We all approach it at our own pace with our own agenda. I tend to play fast to get to the end and on to the next game for whatever reason. Other people get lost in the game world, some figuratively, some literally. As long as you enjoy it, does it really matter how you go about it?

Yeah, I only get a few hours at night to play, so I have to be pretty quick. I have about 60 hours in and am approaching the end zones. That said, I am pretty certain I have another 20-30 hours before this is all over.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love the ability to explore in a game, so by god , I'm going to explore the hell out of this world.

Just made it to Volcano Manor last night. I love a good castle/dungeon crawl. :wub:
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Yeah, even though I have what seems like an ungodly amount of hours into the game so far, I still have a ton of map left to explore.
I set out with a goal in mind and inevitably get sidetracked. And sometimes I even get sidetracked from the sidetrack.....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:28 am I love the ability to explore in a game, so by god , I'm going to explore the hell out of this world.

Just made it to Volcano Manor last night. I love a good castle/dungeon crawl. :wub:
I'll know you got to the one boss when I hear you screaming from here. :P I love the Volcano Manor. Wish they did more with it.

Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I'm in Raya Lucaria and got my shit rocked by the orange fox thing (I'm calling it Firefox). I feel like I need to beef up my stats a bunch more, I'm at like level 37 or something.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Octavious wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:23 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:28 am I love the ability to explore in a game, so by god , I'm going to explore the hell out of this world.

I'll know you got to the one boss when I hear you screaming from here. :P I love the Volcano Manor. Wish they did more with it.
I'm getting a Shalebridge Cradle vibe from Thief: Deadly Shadows from Volcano Manor. I mean, obviously NOTHING is ever going to top that legendary level...but it's close at times.
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Eel Snave wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:24 pm I'm in Raya Lucaria and got my shit rocked by the orange fox thing (I'm calling it Firefox). I feel like I need to beef up my stats a bunch more, I'm at like level 37 or something.
Yeah that's a stretch at that level. You're probably 10-15 levels too early for that challenge.
hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:36 pmI'm getting a Shalebridge Cradle from Thief: Deadly Shadows from Volcano Manor. I mean, obviously NOTHING is ever going to top that legendary level...but it's close at times.
Same vibe for me.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Eel Snave wrote:I'm in Raya Lucaria and got my shit rocked by the orange fox thing (I'm calling it Firefox). I feel like I need to beef up my stats a bunch more, I'm at like level 37 or something.
He sucks at any level. But eventually you get the experience, weapons, and life to deal with him. The good news is that his room is pretty. You are going to see a lot of it since that is where you end up every time you die in the second part of Raya Lucaria.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Eel Snave wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:24 pm I'm in Raya Lucaria and got my shit rocked by the orange fox thing (I'm calling it Firefox). I feel like I need to beef up my stats a bunch more, I'm at like level 37 or something.
Pumping vigor is huge. The difference between dying and winning is usually one hit. I found rolling TOWARDS fast enemies, like Firefox, also helps. Always be rolling.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jag wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:07 pm
Pumping vigor is huge. The difference between dying and winning is usually one hit. I found rolling TOWARDS fast enemies, like Firefox, also helps. Always be rolling.
Yeah I'd suggest 40 vigor regardless of class. Maybe more for a tankier, slower class.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Elden Ring

Post by baelthazar »

coopasonic wrote:
Jag wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:07 pm
Yeah I'd suggest 40 vigor regardless of class. Maybe more for a tankier, slower class.
I can confirm. I spent most of the early game at 20 vigor. As the game progresses I moved up towards 40 and it gets easier. Before that, with my early 60 INT, I was a glass cannon.

One way around low vigor was to use the potion mix-In for the Physique that gave you one hit of large damage negation. That meant I did not get one-shot killed.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

One way around low vigor was to use the potion mix-In for the Physique that gave you one hit of large damage negation. That meant I did not get one-shot killed.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's my go to one.

On a related note, last night I found a +1 talisman that promised a "large increase in HP" so I equipped it....and my health barely moved. I imagine it's much better when you don't have 26 vigor or more. However, it's in Volcano Manor so how a low level character is expected to even get it is beyond me. :?
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:08 am That's my go to one.

On a related note, last night I found a +1 talisman that promised a "large increase in HP" so I equipped it....and my health barely moved. I imagine it's much better when you don't have 26 vigor or more. However, it's in Volcano Manor so how a low level character is expected to even get it is beyond me. :?
Volcano Manor is low level, compared to about 50% of the game.
FTE
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

FYI I had like 45 vigor on my paladin dude when I finished the game. Anything under 40 and you are going to get one shot A LOT towards the end of the game. The medalions for health are pointless as you already found. Better off finding/using the ones that buff all your stats.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scraper wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:20 am
hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:08 amhttp://www.octopusoverlords.com/forum/p ... &p=2895097# :wink:
That's my go to one.

Volcano Manor is low level, compared to about 50% of the game.
50 percent is not low level..that's mid level. :wink:
He won. Period.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote:That's my go to one.

Last night, I switched to the utter cheese that is the “no FP use for spells” and “extra magic damage.” Now I jump in to bosses, summon Black Knife Tiche, then channel Comet Azur for massive boss melting. It’s a bit of an exploit.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

baelthazar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:42 am Last night, I switched to the utter cheese that is the “no FP use for spells” and “extra magic damage.”
Are those talismans?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

stimpy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:05 pm
baelthazar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:42 am Last night, I switched to the utter cheese that is the “no FP use for spells” and “extra magic damage.”
Are those talismans?
No. They are tears.
And:
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Are any of you guys aware of the shooting an arrow at a bird cheese?
it is the cheesiest cheese of all cheeses and let's you easily walk away with 25000 or so runes in no time.
And you can do it over and over.
I almost.....ALMOST feel bad using it........but not really......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I used it a bunch on my first character, whenever I need to beef up. Never used it (or any other rune grind) on my second character. I have no idea why, but the mage didn't need it. they ended up about the same level too. Weird.

Cheesing Mohg was the biggest cheese. Jumping on the side wall to go around the fog door and kill him while he couldn't move at all. 500k runes in 3 minutes (plus like 15 minutes failing that damn jump).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:46 pm Cheesing Mohg was the biggest cheese. Jumping on the side wall to go around the fog door and kill him while he couldn't move at all. 500k runes in 3 minutes (plus like 15 minutes failing that damn jump).
I cheesed Mogh by using that boss melting spell combo. I got him in my second try (first try was to learn positioning).

Last night I got the Fire Giant and Rykard. You can't cheese Rykard quite as much with magic, since the battle is supposed to be done with that weapon (and they gave him heafty magic resistance). But the Mimic Tear finally helped in that one. The Fire Giant was more of just a PITA since you THINK you are in range (due to his size) but often are not. His second form was really where the magic cheese could shine.