Elden Ring

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Octavious

Re: Elden Ring

Post by Octavious »

I plugged it into my TV before I left for work just to see how it would work on that. It's a 4K tv, but doesn't support VRR. That ran better in performance mode as I could see some juttering in Quality. It wasn't terrible, but on my monitor it doesn't happen at all.

I do think anyone that hasn't played one of these games before may get overwhelmed. The fights really aren't any easier and there's a lot more to take in. And well the game is intentionally obscure which I'm sure some people loath. That's my favorite part. It didn't snow enough to justify staying home today sadly. Can't wait to get home and play some more.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

FYI for those playing on PS5 - Don’t Trust Rest Mode ATM.
On PS5, however, some players have run into an issue with Elden Ring’s save system, most of which seem to occur if the console powers down while you’re playing or if you’ve left the game in “rest mode.” Though the PS5 doesn’t have a feature like Xbox’s “Quick Resume”—which allows you to maintain half a dozen games in a suspended state—it does allow you to suspend one game at any given time by putting the console in rest mode. When you’re ready to play again, you can pull your console out of rest mode and instantly hop back into the game, skipping the time needed for a cold boot. But in some cases, for Elden Ring players, the autosave doesn’t kick in.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
naednek

Post by naednek »

doing much better on my 3rd session. Still confused as ever, but slowly piecing things together.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Being confused is part of the charm. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

msduncan wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:53 am The PC controls on this game are so utterly bad that I am refunding it. I was stuck in the menu for ages trying to figure out a simple back command. They developers didn't even bother changing the button graphics for the menu for PC players. I then resorted to trying to get my Xbox and PS5 controllers to work, but that is having major issues too. Neither of my controllers would scroll down or up or side to side....the buttons worked but that's it. So back to steam it goes. I'm not going to play a half assed port to PC. I'll buy it on PS5.
it's definitely not made for mouse+keyboard.

had you ever used a console controller on the PC before?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I played with a knockoff xbox controller on PC and it worked exactly as expected.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:01 pm I played with a knockoff xbox controller on PC and it worked exactly as expected.
Yeah, my bet is he didn't try using the d pad to control the menu. They set it up like that because the game can't be paused, so when you're in game the d pad moves the menu and the stick moves the character.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have spent decades playing games that do not let me acquire gold tinged excrement. Well, those days are now over.
He won. Period.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

It tool awhile to finally get the game downloaded but when I did it has run without a problem, other than crashing after the opening cinematic. I am underspecced on everything except maybe my graphics card, which I did upgrade when I bought the PC in 2017.

So far the game is playing like a Dark Souls version of Skyrim, except for the difficulty of that first big knight on the horse. Skyrim has nothing like that. The game is combat wise very much like DS 1-3, although I think the stamina bar drops a little slower. Having been playing Fallout 4 before coming to this I am collecting all the craft items, which seems wrong for a DS game but there are things to craft that will probably pay off at some point.

I would like to get a bow, and find out how you level up. I assume I just haven't got far enough for that although I have found 3 "bonfires".
Black Lives Matter
Montag

Post by Montag »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:46 pm It tool awhile to finally get the game downloaded but when I did it has run without a problem, other than crashing after the opening cinematic. I am underspecced on everything except maybe my graphics card, which I did upgrade when I bought the PC in 2017.

So far the game is playing like a Dark Souls version of Skyrim, except for the difficulty of that first big knight on the horse. Skyrim has nothing like that. The game is combat wise very much like DS 1-3, although I think the stamina bar drops a little slower. Having been playing Fallout 4 before coming to this I am collecting all the craft items, which seems wrong for a DS game but there are things to craft that will probably pay off at some point.

I would like to get a bow, and find out how you level up. I assume I just haven't got far enough for that although I have found 3 "bonfires".
What processor are you running? I am rocking an old school i7-6700k but with a 1080 video card. I am wanting to know how well it will run.
words
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Got this for the PS5 and played a few hours last night. Started out as a wretch and was doing ok, but just felt like it would take a long time to get any decent equipment. So I started over as a prisoner and things have been much easier so far. I pretty much just sneak behind every enemy I can, which usually lets me kill them before they can attack.

The game runs surprisingly poorly on the PS5. It’s not terrible or unplayable by any means, but the frame rate clearly jumps around, at least in performance mode. I know that can be fixed by playing the PS4 version; I might try that if it gets worse. It’s odd that the performance is so variable since I wouldn’t call it a pretty game by any means. Especially not when compared to Horizon, which is the other game I’m currently playing. And the colors do seem washed out for some reason. Hopefully all of this will be smoothed out in future patches.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Sounds like this is much better on console than PC currently Digital Foundry trashes PC peformance.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I watched a tips video and found that I totally missed the tutorial. Pretty much all of it is the same as the other souls games, but that the tutorial is completely missable seems problematic. I also totally missed the church where you get the first summon.

I'm level 20 now and still suck pretty badly. I can't beat the first boss or the two optional bosses I have come across. One of the optionals, I think I can take with a bit more patience. Hell, I can barely defeat some of the stronger non-boss folks in the open world.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As for me, I'm neck deep in gold tinged excrement. Bring it!
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

JCC wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:17 pm Sounds like this is much better on console than PC currently Digital Foundry trashes PC peformance.
I've been pleasantly surprised at how well it runs on xbox series x on quality mode. However, I'm not sure what I'm missing in comparison to running it on a high end PC.

....all I know is that my gold tinged excrement looks FABULOUS on the console.
He won. Period.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

My first impressions. The story pulls you in from the get go. The intro and dialog are so epic. The first time seeing the lay of the land is just beautiful. Combat feels good and crafting seems to be thick. Large variety of monsters already. Nothing negative to say after my first few hours.

My only initial question, I crafted some small healing thingy from a flower. How to use it? I don't see how. It doesn't give me the option to use.

Summary so far, I love it.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:22 pm
JCC wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:17 pm Sounds like this is much better on console than PC currently Digital Foundry trashes PC peformance.
I've been pleasantly surprised at how well it runs on xbox series x on quality mode. However, I'm not sure what I'm missing in comparison to running it on a high end PC.

....all I know is that my gold tinged excrement looks FABULOUS on the console.
I've played it on both performance and quality on series x and i prefer guality. Sure the frame rate is noticably slower, but its not bad and the draw distance in quality is far superior. Especially for grass and foliage.
FTE
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Montag wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:46 pm
Scuzz wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:46 pm It tool awhile to finally get the game downloaded but when I did it has run without a problem, other than crashing after the opening cinematic. I am underspecced on everything except maybe my graphics card, which I did upgrade when I bought the PC in 2017.

What processor are you running? I am rocking an old school i7-6700k but with a 1080 video card. I am wanting to know how well it will run.
I have a AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad Core 3200mhz 4 core 8 processors

Somewhere I have all the specs written down but I couldn't find it. I have 8gb of RAM.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Torfish wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:28 pm My first impressions. The story pulls you in from the get go. The intro and dialog are so epic. The first time seeing the lay of the land is just beautiful. Combat feels good and crafting seems to be thick. Large variety of monsters already. Nothing negative to say after my first few hours.

My only initial question, I crafted some small healing thingy from a flower. How to use it? I don't see how. It doesn't give me the option to use.

The only health item I have seen to craft is for your horse. And I have both the early crafting cookbooks. I also found an armor crafting book but I guess I haven't found a place to use it yet.

Poison is a real thing in this game, like DS1 real.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Torfish wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:28 pm My first impressions. The story pulls you in from the get go. The intro and dialog are so epic. The first time seeing the lay of the land is just beautiful. Combat feels good and crafting seems to be thick. Large variety of monsters already. Nothing negative to say after my first few hours.

There's a story? I feel like there's a blip of info from the beginning, and then it lets you loose without any structure or driven quests. I'm just treating the game as an Jesus resurrection game.

Finally beat the cat in the first dungeon, and the rat looking thing in the cave. Took me to get to level 20, so many times killing the same things over and over again.

Each play session I figure things out, but man it sure isn't a friendly game for newbies.
naednek

Post by naednek »

there was a 9 mb patch this morning, not sure what it did, but it didn't fix the stuttering. I upgraded my driver yesterday before the patch and it actually stutters more :(

It's playable, but it's annoying.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

naednek wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:58 pm there was a 9 mb patch this morning, not sure what it did, but it didn't fix the stuttering. I upgraded my driver yesterday before the patch and it actually stutters more :(

It's playable, but it's annoying.
I noticed a little more stuttering today as well. And mine ran pretty good yesterday.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The addition of horseback combat feels a little overpowered at times. I’m like a lawnmower of death when it comes to herds of lesser powered enemies. And charging and retreating to charge again is pretty effective against larger opponents.
He won. Period.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

hepcat wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:55 pm The addition of horseback combat feels a little overpowered at times. I’m like a lawnmower of death when it comes to herds of lesser powered enemies. And charging and retreating to charge again is pretty effective against larger opponents.
I have a habit of moving the left toggle forward which is of course the dismount command, so in the middle of combat my horse keeps disappearing.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You and me both, brother. At first I thought it was because of the enemy being able to force me off my horsey, but then I realized what was happening.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have a habit of being terrible at this game. I've beaten most of the optional bosses in the starting area (all the ones I have found) but I still can't beat Margit. I've cheesed myself to level 37, I have piles of health and stamina, a +3 weapon as well as the stupidly tanky
Spoiler:
jellyfish
summon. For some reason, I just am not getting his moveset.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Well, the stuttering on the PC is wearing down on me, so I'm going back to Witcher 3 as my main game to play through. Hoping they can identify the issue as I plan on coming back.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hmmm...I am intrigued by magic grease.
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I best the first real boss, Godric, today and then moved on to a new area. This game has it's hooks in me. It really is Darksouls mixed with Skyrim. I also did some multiplayer with my friend and it was fun too. A+ all around.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Also im open to help people on xbox, my user name is Hantongt
FTE
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I spent time today helping people with an early boss. I got summoned pretty much within minutes of putting down a summon sign.

There are several items I haven't figured out a use for yet. You get something for helping with a boss, not every time but maybe half the time, and I don't know what to do with it.

I also need to change a command on my controller. Otherwise the horse will be useless in combat for me.
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I have the horse summon on my "Y" hot button list. Playstation its probably the triangle button.
FTE
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

This game is hard.
You're welcome.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wish all CRPGs with combat included that infinitely satisfying *crunch* sound whenever you hit something.
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

So after you beat the first Demigod (Godric) the game REALLY opens up and it's hard to decide where to go and what to do next. I have stumbled across 2 very large dungeons, which I assume are the homes to other Demigods, but the mini bosses in both of them are really hard and I think I need to gear up and level up some more before I can take them down.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wait....so the hours I've spent wondering around the map prior to taking on Godric are just a small part of the game? :shock:
He won. Period.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I haven't defeated any demigods (and only two optional minibosses) and the game is *wide* open. Between teleport traps and flying by enemies with my horse, I haven't really felt limited at all. In fact, it might even be a bit too wide open: too many options of places I can go.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just snuck a peak at a world map. I've barely started exploring this huge world. :shock: :shock:
He won. Period.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:44 amThe game runs surprisingly poorly on the PS5. It’s not terrible or unplayable by any means, but the frame rate clearly jumps around, at least in performance mode. I know that can be fixed by playing the PS4 version; I might try that if it gets worse. It’s odd that the performance is so variable since I wouldn’t call it a pretty game by any means. Especially not when compared to Horizon, which is the other game I’m currently playing. And the colors do seem washed out for some reason. Hopefully all of this will be smoothed out in future patches.
Played about 8hrs so far since Saturday afternoon on the PS5 in performance mode - no issues on this end at all.
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm still playing on quality mode on an xbox series x and I really haven't noticed any framerate issues whatsoever. It seems really smooth to me. It may be because I'm not as sensitive to such things though.
He won. Period.