Elden Ring

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Elden Ring

Post by GreenGoo »

Thought I'd start a thread about the new George R R Martin/From Software game. I'm on my phone but apparently it's some sort of action RPG combo. It's unclear to me whether it's more like Diablo or more like Kingdoms of Amalur or what.

More later. Probably.
Isgrimnur

Re: Elden Ring

Post by Isgrimnur »

PC Gamer
A leak of Bandai Namco's E3 assets appears to have given us our first look at a new RPG, Tales of Arise, and the logo of another game, called Elden Ring. And this is a big one: According to the description, Elden Ring is the official name of project "Great Rune," the rumored collaboration between author George R.R. Martin and developer From Software.

The description, posted to 4chan and elsewhere online, reads:

ELDEN RING, developed by FromSoftware, Inc. and BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc., is a fantasy action-RPG adventure set within a world created by Hidetaka Miyazaki – creator of the influential DARK SOULS video game series; and George R.R. Martin – author of The New York Times best-selling fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire. Danger and discovery lurk around every corner in FromSoftware’s largest game to-date.
According to posts along with the leak, it's coming to PS4, Xbox, and PC.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:41 pm PC Gamer
created by Hidetaka Miyazaki – creator of the influential DARK SOULS video game series;
I'll just mention that in Sekiro, 2 NPCs designed by Miyazaki live in vases ("pot" nobles) with lids, and the only thing visible is a single arm protruding from the top.

Elden Ring should be interesting, if nothing else.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Wow - no impressions from the 15min gameplay showcase yesterday?

Initial Impressions:
  • More colour than DS/Bloodborne
  • Similar mechanics/animation as DS
  • Similar deathblows and sneaking from Seikiro
  • Jumping mechanic
  • mounted travel and combat
  • awesome looking caster animations/spells
All in all this is a day 1 buy for me now that I've seen a more detailed display.
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'll definitely be buying it. It looks a lot like a more colorful dark souls in a much more open world. The interactions and dialog are still very dark souls clunky which is really the main detractor for me. They really seem to want to make you work for the story/lore more than any other developer.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I'm in day one.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

As with all the Souls and Souls-ish games, I think it looks so very cool.

But I also know that I'd hate it due to the high difficulty, so I'm out. :(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I gotta say, some of the enemies shown in the video seemed pretty easy to kill. Maybe the open world aspect of the game necessitates having somewhat easier combat. At the very least, having more space to maneuver should allow for more cheesing, which is how I get through about half of all souls games.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I like what I see, but would definitely insist on a difficulty slider to play it.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:41 pm I like what I see, but would definitely insist on a difficulty slider to play it.
Brutal ----------------> Impossible

There ya go.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

First time I heard the name, I thought it was going to be based on Lord of the Rings.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'd realllly like to see a CDProjekt Red/FROM Software collaboration some day...
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So From had posted equipment requirements for Elden Ring , on Steam I believe, and even my 5 year old machine looks like it will work.

Also, this should be “easier” than prior games but with some much more difficult areas.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i have no time for this game, but i am interested in it.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I'm in day 1. Not a Souls fan, but i think this is different enough to not make me smash my screen.

(also I miss GG) :(
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:18 pm i have no time for this game, but i am interested in it.
I have lots of interest in this game, but not the patience for it's likely difficulty level.

I'm really, really hoping that it ends up being more forgiving than the DS games.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:37 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:18 pm i have no time for this game, but i am interested in it.
I have lots of interest in this game, but not the patience for it's likely difficulty level.

I'm really, really hoping that it ends up being more forgiving than the DS games.
Me too! Everything I've read indicates it is more forgiving, or that it's just differently structured. It's more open so you don't have to get stuck on one particular boss fight in one particular spot. In addition there are better multiplayer options to get help.

At least I'm hoping that's how it will turn out. I'm sure I will end up giving up and bitching about the difficulty lmao.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My youngest is a Souls fanatic. Hell, he's done the 'play it through without leveling up once' madness on the first two games. All he's talked about for the last six months is Elden Ring. He's planning everything else around. A preorder for Elden Ring was the only request he had for all of the Christmas (and he got it.) Elden Ring is his Spring Break plan, too.

10 days out, and they just released released the system specs. He can't run it. He doesn't even meet the minimums. Not the CPU, not the video card, not the RAM.

My upgrade cycle has been eliminated by the shortage (not to mention Michelle getting laid off), and his upgrade cycle was the get my old parts. His video card is eight years old, his CPU is nine. He is totally crushed.
Elden Ring minimum requirements

Processor: Intel Core i5-8400 | AMD Ryzen 3 3300X
Memory: 12GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, 3GB | AMD Radeon RX 580, 4GB
DirectX: DirectX 12 (Feature Level 12.0)
Storage: 60GB
Sound Card: Windows-compatible audio device

Elden Ring recommended specifications

Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K | AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Memory: 16GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 8GB | AMD Radeon RX Vega 56, 8GB
DirectX: DirectX 12 (Feature Level 12.0)
Storage: 60 GB
Sound Card: Windows-compatible audio device
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The funny thing is that the majority of the DS bosses aren't that hard when you figure out whatever trick there is to beat the boss. The games to me aren't super hard. They just require patience and knowing that repeating and learning patterns is a huge part of the game. I do think this new one will be more accessible than the other ones as the open world will prevent the repeating part. I'm in day one for sure. Dark Souls is by far my favorite series. I don't like any of their offshoot games, but this looks to be super close to DS so I will be shocked if I don't love it.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:35 pm
10 days out, and they just released released the system specs. He can't run it. He doesn't even meet the minimums. Not the CPU, not the video card, not the RAM.
my gaming machine might not be even able to run this...
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The weird thing is that the game is also being released on the PS4. Those minimum specs are WAY better than what a PS4. Not sure why there's such a disconnect, unless it turns out to be a Cyberpunk-esque disaster on the last generation consoles.
Black Lives Matter
Montag

Post by Montag »

I have a I7 6700K with a GTX 1080. I suspect it will run fine, but will watch for people's comments.
words
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I'm interested, but will probably wait to see if it comes on xBox Gamepass.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:35 pm My youngest is a Souls fanatic. Hell, he's done the 'play it through without leveling up once' madness on the first two games. All he's talked about for the last six months is Elden Ring. He's planning everything else around. A preorder for Elden Ring was the only request he had for all of the Christmas (and he got it.) Elden Ring is his Spring Break plan, too.

My upgrade cycle has been eliminated by the shortage (not to mention Michelle getting laid off), and his upgrade cycle was the get my old parts. His video card is eight years old, his CPU is nine. He is totally crushed.
Is console not an option? They are primarily controller games anyway.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's going to have to be. We already refunded his preorder (made during a sale) and applied the money to the non-sale console version. Although doing on a PS4 is likely going to be a big downgrade from what he was expecting, and he'll have to use remote play if he's going to Discord with his friends as he normally does, which downgrades it even more.
Roman

Post by Roman »

T-minus 3 days......
Really looking forward to this one!!
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:49 pm It's going to have to be. We already refunded his preorder (made during a sale) and applied the money to the non-sale console version. Although doing on a PS4 is likely going to be a big downgrade from what he was expecting,
I'm pretty sure if you weren't even able to meet the minimum requirements, the PS4 will either be the same or an improvement on what he'd have experienced on his PC.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No doubt. It's a downgrade from what he was anticipating, not what he'd have had.

He hasn't been around long enough to set appropriately low expectations and to distrust everything that he hears. Don't worry, though, this is a stepping stone on his way to becoming jaded and pessimistic like the rest of us.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Apparently the reviews on this are beyond impressive. PC unlocks at 6pm eastern tomorrow.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/elden-ring
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Tomorrow? Hot damn I thought it as Friday. Guess I should see if there's any reason to pre-order on Greenman or something. I needed something like this to get me out of my gaming rut of doom.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:17 pm Tomorrow? Hot damn I thought it as Friday. Guess I should see if there's any reason to pre-order on Greenman or something. I needed something like this to get me out of my gaming rut of doom.
$10 off is the reason I guess. Already got my key from them so it shouldn't be the tragedy it was for Dying Light 2 sending out keys 6 hours after release. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fine, i'll buy it for the xbox series x. Happy now?
Covfefe!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Wow this might be the highest rated game I've seen in like forever. There's 14 100% reviews. So I guess it's safe to buy it tonight. :lol: So stoked...

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

In
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Sorry Horizon Forbidden West: it's been a nice few days with you, but with these reviews I don't think I'll be able to resist the lure of Elden Ring.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ordinarily I'd get around the "Horizon: Forbidden West" problem by buying Elden Ring for PC. I like to have one PC game and one console game going, that way I can switch to my PC game when the kids are hogging the console.

Unfortunately in this case I'm not at all convinced my PC is going to be up to snuff to run. It meets minimum sys specs, but only just, and I read a review from someone who played even on a decent system and pointed out some hitches.

I guess I'll pick it up down the road after I finish Horizon:FW. Even though I suck at Dark Souls-style games. :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:52 pm Sorry Horizon Forbidden West: it's been a nice few days with you, but with these reviews I don't think I'll be able to resist the lure of Elden Ring.
On the other hand, I may mess around a bit while my kid is playing Horizon, but for the most part Elden Ring is going to wait. Of course I am also, despite what you may get from my postings, not much of a FROM fan. Bloodborne was the only game they've made that I really loved. I love a lot of souls-likes (the Niohs and The Surges, primarily), but not the actual Souls games.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:32 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:52 pm Sorry Horizon Forbidden West: it's been a nice few days with you, but with these reviews I don't think I'll be able to resist the lure of Elden Ring.
On the other hand, I may mess around a bit while my kid is playing Horizon, but for the most part Elden Ring is going to wait. Of course I am also, despite what you may get from my postings, not much of a FROM fan. Bloodborne was the only game they've made that I really loved. I love a lot of souls-likes (the Niohs and The Surges, primarily), but not the actual Souls games.
I liked the Souls games, but always threw my hands up after a short while out of frustration.
The fact that this is supposed to be more accessible is what got me to bite.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I HATE Dark Souls and games like it but have a online friend who loves them to pieces. Ill tell him about this one.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:36 pm I HATE Dark Souls and games like it but have a online friend who loves them to pieces. Ill tell him about this one.
Umm if your friend loves them, you can be pretty sure he is already aware. This is like one of the biggest releases of the year. Like Cyberpunk, but actually good (per reviews anyway).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter