[Streaming] Max (né HBO Max)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [Streaming] HBO Max

Post by hepcat »

First two episodes of season 2 of the batshit insane Raised By Wolves is up. I never have a clue what they’re going to do next on this one.
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:49 pm First two episodes of season 2 of the batshit insane Raised By Wolves is up. I never have a clue what they’re going to do next on this one.
Going into the first episode last night, I had to remind myself that they'd probably ease into the second season, particularly given how much time had passed. Yeah, no. Still crazy as hell. Looking forward to maybe watching the second episode tonight!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It reminds me of the crazy, free for all Science Fiction films of the late 60's through the 70's. Many of them from that period just didn't follow the standard tropes and plotting that we have come to expect today in our big budget SF. I forgot how much I missed having no clue as to where the story is going to go.

Also
Spoiler:
First 5 damn minutes and they throw a scene at us of a tech digging into Father's insides, only to shout in terror that he wasn't a standard model android and then he literally turned into a puss bag. I mean...Jesus, give us 10 minutes to get our footing, RBW. :lol:

edit: maybe it was Mother, now that I'm thinking about it. I'll need to go back and rewatch that scene.
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:03 pm
Spoiler:
First 5 damn minutes and they throw a scene at us of a tech digging into Father's insides, only to shout in terror that he wasn't a standard model android and then he literally turned into a puss bag. I mean...Jesus, give us 10 minutes to get our footing, RBW. :lol:

edit: maybe it was Mother, now that I'm thinking about it. I'll need to go back and rewatch that scene.
Spoiler:
It was Mother. Father is a relatively normal service model, but since Mother is actually a necromancer her processor wasn't where the tech thought it would be. When she goes to visit the AI you can see the white "blood" on her stomach from his rummaging around.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's what I thought at first, but I could have sworn they were working on Father. I thought they had just introduced a new mystery (#328 of 4,302 so far). Obviously I was wrong and this is not a new mystery. 4,301 to go!
He won. Period.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:03 pm It reminds me of the crazy, free for all Science Fiction films of the late 60's through the 70's.
Totally. I'd say Zardoz is still weirder, but not by much.

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: That's one of the films I was thinking of.

Another thing I love about RBW is that they'll throw a mystery at us, like I mentioned, but they won't make a big deal out of it and just let it sit there until they decide to answer it organically. As opposed to most films where they practically put up a red flag, stop the movie and then have someone explain in long winded detail what's happening.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Because it was on my HBO Max feed, I decided to watch the first episode (S1) of Raised by Wolves. What in the actual hell is with this show?? I mean, I'm going to keep watching, but I can't remember feeling this...disoriented by a TV show's first episode in a long time. Maybe...ever.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:56 am Because it was on my HBO Max feed, I decided to watch the first episode (S1) of Raised by Wolves. What in the actual hell is with this show?? I mean, I'm going to keep watching, but I can't remember feeling this...disoriented by a TV show's first episode in a long time. Maybe...ever.
That’s part of the fun! :lol:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Strap in and forget about logic. You're on a psychedelic scifi trip that will speed bag your cajones while telling you it will all be worth it in the end.

I had to laugh the other day when I read a review that also called the show "batshit insane".

To repeat: I love RBW because I have zero clue what the hell is going to happen next. God bless it for that.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Guess I'll have to watch this.
Formix

Post by Formix »

I just finished Season 2 of Beforeigners. That was really good. Not at all what I expected going in.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wife and I are watching The Gilded Age, which is basically Downton Abbey in New York. It's pretty good if you like costume dramas. The sets and costumes are top-notch, and after two episodes the conflicts and storyline are unfolding as you would expect. Although I enjoy the recreation of that world, this is not a recommendation. :P
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Kraken wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:09 am Wife and I are watching The Gilded Age, which is basically Downton Abbey in New York. It's pretty good if you like costume dramas. The sets and costumes are top-notch, and after two episodes the conflicts and storyline are unfolding as you would expect. Although I enjoy the recreation of that world, this is not a recommendation. :P
My family and I are enjoying this more than I thought we would. I think much of the enjoyment comes from making snarky comments about all the shade being thrown around. But I gotta say that Mr. Russell in episode 2 pulled off a real baller power move. Respect! My daughter is amused by Mrs. Russell when she gets the crazy eyes after being snubbed by the old money.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Watched Pig this weekend, a movie about Nic Cage looking for his stolen truffle pig. It's pretty great and not at all what I expected.
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:39 am Watched Pig this weekend, a movie about Nic Cage looking for his stolen truffle pig. It's pretty great and not at all what I expected.
There was a disturbing amount of normal from Cage in this movie.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stimpy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:52 am
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:39 am Watched Pig this weekend, a movie about Nic Cage looking for his stolen truffle pig. It's pretty great and not at all what I expected.
But if normal is not really his normal, was it really normal? :think:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

stimpy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:52 am
Normal only if living in an isolated cabin with a truffle pig is normal.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:16 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:56 am Because it was on my HBO Max feed, I decided to watch the first episode (S1) of Raised by Wolves. What in the actual hell is with this show?? I mean, I'm going to keep watching, but I can't remember feeling this...disoriented by a TV show's first episode in a long time. Maybe...ever.
Spoiler:
Okay, who had “android vampire” in the Where the Hell Will They Go Next pool? :lol:
We really need the writers of this show to continue making stuff.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I just realized that HBO has Babylon 5. Ohellya, there is a re-watch in my future. Also, Prime has Farscape, but this is not that thread.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Even better, HBO Max has the remastered Babylon 5.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:04 pm
$iljanus wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:16 pm
Spoiler:
Okay, who had “android vampire” in the Where the Hell Will They Go Next pool? :lol:
We really need the writers of this show to continue making stuff.
There’s so much stuff streaming lately that I still have to get to season 2. Maybe I’ll binge some episodes today and get my mind blown. :pop: :occasion-balloons:
Black lives matter!

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I tried to finish season one but just couldn't. Just not my thing.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s got a 91 percent on Rotten Tomatoes!
He won. Period.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:44 am Even better, HBO Max has the remastered Babylon 5.
My HBO only has Babylon Berlin, which appears seriously lacking when it comes to spaceships. Stupid regional content blocking.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:00 am
I tried to finish season one but just couldn't. Just not my thing.
I tried to finish episode one but just couldn't.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's not for everyone, that's true. You gotta really enjoy out there science fiction to get into Raised by Wolves. It's doing things story wise that you don't see anywhere else...and haven't really since the heyday of 60's and 70's science fiction films. That's going to turn off people who like their science fiction a little more traditional. But me, I love the unpredictable nature of the show. Just when you think it's going to zag right, it goes straight up into the air and then does a triple lindy while waving a flag and playing a trumpet.

Also, I love that the budget is obviously pretty low for what the story includes, but does that stop them from going big? Hell no. Some of the more ambitious scenes are pretty hacky CGI or cheaper practical effects (the tanks...well...tank, since they can't afford to do more than one...in recent episodes come to mind) but they just lean into it and go bigger every time.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Watching episode one (season 2) now! Lovecraftian AI computer! Milk as it was never meant to be seen! Travis Fimmel and his crazy eyes! My most favorite murderous parental androids in the world!

Oh so glad to be back!
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just wait…. :wink:
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Chraolic wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:03 am
hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:44 am Even better, HBO Max has the remastered Babylon 5.
My HBO only has Babylon Berlin, which appears seriously lacking when it comes to spaceships. Stupid regional content blocking.
Yeah, I had to buy Babylon 5 on iTunes because it isn't available for streaming elsewhere here in Canada.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:40 pm Just wait…. :wink:
I didn’t finish episode 3 yet (Raised by Wolves 2) but I’m questioning some of Father’s choices. I think he needs to watch some old Earth horror movies because I don’t see his experimentation ending well…

I am all
Spoiler:
Team Serpent
however! So cute!
Spoiler:
Until it decides to broaden its palette…
Edit: Holy crap! Robot fight club! This show delivers!
Black lives matter!

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We watched Kimi the other night.

It was a decent little film, but mostly due to Zoe Kravitz' performance. She really nails the complex character of Angela, a person whose mental health issues are both sympathetic and frustrating.

My only problem with it is that it has some weird tonal shifts throughout, and I'm not sure it knew whether it wanted to be a thriller, social commentary, action movie, or quirky comedy.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If we're going to talk about specific shows in a mass thread, we should probably make sure we mention which show we're talking about. I don't know whether some posts are discussions I want to be part of or things I don't want to spoil for myself.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:32 am If we're going to talk about specific shows in a mass thread, we should probably make sure we mention which show we're talking about. I don't know whether some posts are discussions I want to be part of or things I don't want to spoil for myself.
Oops, sorry BH! I amended my post. I should check if there’s a Raised by Wolves thread or if only 3 people are watching it. :think:
Black lives matter!

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Go ahead and make it, I'll probably watch it in about three years and I'll be diggin' that thread up.

We (arguably) don't need a thread for every show on television, but this streaming service format also kind of sucks for those of us outside the U.S. A lot of the big-name stuff matches services these days (or e.g. Crave is a common analog for HBO Max), but I've got to figure out where a show is airing in a different country to find the discussion for it. Usually I just post about movies in Whatcha Watchin'. I'm not complaining about "how countries work"; just lamenting missed discussion.

Before streaming, I don't remember having threads for NBC, CBS, and Showtime? But maybe we did?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:15 am We watched Kimi the other night.

It was a decent little film, but mostly due to Zoe Kravitz' performance. She really nails the complex character of Angela, a person whose mental health issues are both sympathetic and frustrating.

My only problem with it is that it has some weird tonal shifts throughout, and I'm not sure it knew whether it wanted to be a thriller, social commentary, action movie, or quirky comedy.
I was about the same on it, but felt the culprit was a little too convenient. I think a better twist would have been:
Spoiler:
If the fat peeping tom neighbor knew kung fu.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Given that my posting a trailer seems to drive a substantial amount of discussion, would dedicated threads be better for the streaming services?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Not for every show, but as soon as a real conversation starts, it should probably get one. It isn't like we're running out space on the front page or pushing things off in two hours like in them olden days.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:03 pm Not for every show, but as soon as a real conversation starts, it should probably get one. It isn't like we're running out space on the front page or pushing things off in two hours like in them olden days.
Yeah the challenge is that you never know when a conversation is going to take off and by the time it is clear, it is too late.

I think trailers in the megathread is totally reasonable to build awareness of a show, but once the show is available and people start watching it, it is time for the individual thread. Of course I have no authority, just an opinion. :)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter