[Streaming] Max (né HBO Max)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Re: [Streaming] HBO Max

Post by McNutt »

Nary a penia? Righteous Gemstones has one in at least half the episodes.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He's also brings a level of sensitivity to his characters you wouldn't expect. If he just wrote pure raunch, it would get old fast. But he makes his characters deeply flawed, then explains why or how they got that way. He shines a light at the end of the tunnel that perhaps they'll get their act together. However, they can just as easily fail to get better too. We laugh at their ludicrous behavior, but we also feel sorry for them at the same time.

I do think Vice Principals is the better show as the whole evangelical thing is just way too easy to satirize. But the second season of RG went in directions I did not see coming. Also, while Edi Patterson (who is also in Vice Principals) is clearly the standout star of the show, the actor playing Keefe the ex Satanist is starting to catch up to her.
Spoiler:
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

McNutt wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:24 am Nary a penia? Righteous Gemstones has one in at least half the episodes.
I don't know what a penia is, but I look forward to finding out when I watch RG! :P
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Holman wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:33 pm
Holman wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:50 pm
Holman wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:44 pm I'm three episodes into OUR FLAG MEANS DEATH. There's nothing groundbreaking here, but it's got a clever, light feeling and plenty of DNA (as well as actors) from other New Zealand comedies like FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS and WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS.

Really very fun.
S1E4 is a Taika Waititi episode, and it is superb.
I'm going to keep evangelizing for this show. I just finished e8, and I declare it one of the few series where every episode is better than the last.
I just finished Episode 4 and will probably have to bail. It's not a bad show at all It just didn't grab me. I watched it while I did other things and never felt the need to stop doing those other things to focus on the show.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

McNutt wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:01 pm
Holman wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:44 pm I'm three episodes into OUR FLAG MEANS DEATH. There's nothing groundbreaking here, but it's got a clever, light feeling and plenty of DNA (as well as actors) from other New Zealand comedies like FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS and WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS.

Really very fun.
I'm going to keep evangelizing for this show. I just finished e8, and I declare it one of the few series where every episode is better than the last.
I just finished Episode 4 and will probably have to bail. It's not a bad show at all It just didn't grab me. I watched it while I did other things and never felt the need to stop doing those other things to focus on the show.
Yeah, same for me. I liked the premise, but the tone and stories fell flat for me.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Same, and I'm a pretty big Rhys Darby fan. I'll probably watch the entirety, but it's no Flight of the Conchords (but to be fair, that's a pretty high freaking bar for me). Someone upthread mentioned it keeps improving, and I enjoy it quite a bit, even if I'm not rolling in the floor, or waking the fam up at night laughing.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Time Traveler's Wife series coming. Interested to see how this stretches to 6 episodes. I'm in for a couple at least.

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Apparently you get a “free” HBO subscription when you upgrade to a new iPhone with AT&T. So now I have it…complete content overload incoming.

I watched the new Suicide Squad movie, which I liked far less than I expected to. Something about DC movies just bores me. I did watch the first episode of Peacemaker, which amused me quite a bit. Will probably stick with that one.

Tried the first two “Our Flag Means Death” episodes and was surprised how flat it fell. I typically love that sort of humor, but it did nothing for me at all. My general lack of interest in pirates combined with what felt like a weak cast made it not particularly interesting.

Righteous Gemstones is definitely on the list, as is Winning Time (the Lakers documentary), Raised by Wolves, and two shows that I somehow have never seen a single episode of in Sopranos and Rick & Morty.

That should keep me busy through…pretty much forever.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You must watch the Harley Quinn animated series.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Wow, watching Sopranos for the first time will be awesome.
One of the few shows I've watched in its entirety twice.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:09 pm You must watch the Harley Quinn animated series.
You mean The Bane Show?

“I will blow you up, chicken satay!”
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

McNutt wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:13 pm Wow, watching Sopranos for the first time will be awesome.
I'm quite excited to give it a go, but am tempering my expectations with the fact that mobster movies never tend to click with me. Godfather? Meh. Untouchables? Meh. Goodfellas? Meh. Scarface? Meh.

About the only one I can think of that I really liked was Snatch.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Oh, then I don't think you'll like it as much as I did. The story has so many small gangster elements like the Godfather where you need to really pay attention to understand why someone was killed, turned informant, switched sides, etc.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:39 pm I watched the new Suicide Squad movie, which I liked far less than I expected to. Something about DC movies just bores me.
I absolutely get that. I like a lot of bad movies, and I am a big DC fan. I really liked Wonder Woman, Shazam, Suicide Squad 2, and The Batman. Other than that, the DC films of the past twenty years have done very little for me (including The Dark Knight trilogy.) They just don't have the magic - either movie magic, or the DC magic. Live action shows have also been very hit-or-miss. The first couple of seasons each of Flash and Arrow were great (although the rest of the CW stuff was admittedly not, despite my watching most of it.) Doom Patrol and Peacemaker were fantastic. I really liked Stargirl. Titans has been... not always good, but I still watch it for the setting.

On the other hand, DC has absolutely hit it out of the park in the animation department over the last 30 years, ever since the premier of Batman: The Animated Series (1992!), all the way up through Young Justice and Harley Quinn.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Finally got around to starting THE LAST DUEL. I'm halfway in.

I like it a lot, but I won't push it on anyone else. It's got plenty of strong elements (Ridley Scott, historical details done right, tense character drama), but it's a very cold, grey movie. It's far more focused on dialogue than on action, almost like an anti-GLADIATOR.

It's surely the least "buddy" movie Matt Damon and Ben Affleck have ever done together (their characters despise each other here), but both are good in it, as is Adam Driver.

It definitely puts you in a mood to play Crusader Kings III.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I really enjoyed that movie. It's not often that you see a movie with two people pitted against each other and you absolutely hate both, but still like the movie. Those guys were horrible people.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

At least if you like it you get to see it 3 times.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What I especially liked was that the female lead was definitely the hero of the movie, but they didn't alter historical norms to make her so. She was a hero within the limits of the rights she was afforded at that time...which were few. And yet she managed to come out of it victorious in a way, even though the game she was forced to play was horrendous.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I finished Peacemaker, which was fantastic. What an awesome show.

Was going to start Sopranos, but Doom Patrol came up as a recommendation. I’d never really heard of it, so I watched the first two episodes. I think I like it but seriously…what the fuck. :?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:04 pm
McNutt wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:01 pm

Really very fun.
Yeah, same for me. I liked the premise, but the tone and stories fell flat for me.

I also just hit episode 4 but I'm digging it quite a bit. I find the humour hit and miss, but the drama makes up for those misses. It also gets crass with little payoff sometimes. (Perhaps that's the issue; the tone shifts too much between dry, wacky, and crass humour.) But the overall structure I think is great. The characters are quickly defined and interesting. The main character is portrayed as a coward in the plot, but he's really not, which I think makes him endearing and keeps him from becoming annoying. The show has heart while retaining an edge. Soft anachronisms gleefully pop up and disappear again just as quickly, but the show is simultaneously devoted to its theme and many of the set details are fantastic.

The end credits music selections have been wonderful so far, and not using an original theme has been a great choice. (E.g. I'm going on Tunefind at the end of the episode like I used to with Mad Men.) Occasionally the CG work can be distracting, but overall it's wonderful and, together with the lighting, lends the sets a cozy, theatrical tone.

Canadian actor Gary Farmer pops up in episode 2!

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:10 am I finished Peacemaker, which was fantastic. What an awesome show.

Was going to start Sopranos, but Doom Patrol came up as a recommendation. I’d never really heard of it, so I watched the first two episodes. I think I like it but seriously…what the fuck. :?
It walks a thin line between camp, serious drama, comedy, horror and action. You’re in for a hell of a ride. There’s few things like it on TV.

Also, how can you not love Brendan Fraser. He’s getting such a great comeback story the last few years. And rightfully so. He was always a better actor than most of the roles he took let on.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

Yeah Doom Patrol's start was a bit rough for me. On the whole I really like it but sometimes it's a little too goofy and out there for me. But, when it's great it's really great.

Having said that, if you haven't seen the Soprano's, that's what you should be watching. It's an all time classic that helped usher in the current golden era of awesome television we have now.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:34 am Also, how can you not love Brendan Fraser. He’s getting such a great comeback story the last few years. And rightfully so. He was always a better actor than most of the roles he took let on.
He's been really fantastic here so far. His arc as Ben in Scrubs still absolutely wrecks me.

Alan Tudyk has been the other standout through the first two episodes. His over-the-top narration has been absolutely brilliant.
JCC wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:49 am Having said that, if you haven't seen the Soprano's, that's what you should be watching. It's an all time classic that helped usher in the current golden era of awesome television we have now.
I'll get there eventually. Keep in mind that the next Mafia show I enjoy would be the first, so Sopranos might not connect with me as well as it does with everyone else.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Add Tudyk to anything and it gets exponentially better. :wub:
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

My daughter and I usually like the same things, but The Sopranos is the one thing we've never agreed on.
I loved it.
She barely made it through Season 1 and then bailed.
Wish I could see the look on her face when she finds out she inherits my Collectors Edition DVD box set.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It'd be funnier if she was able to see the look on your face when she throws them out of her car window while driving by the city dump.
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:46 am It'd be funnier if she was able to see the look on your face when she throws them out of her car window while driving by the city dump.
Nah, that's something I would totally expect her to do.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:34 am It walks a thin line between camp, serious drama, comedy, horror and action.
I'm trying to visualize this line. That is one convoluted line. My brain is reacting as if I'd just watched an episode of Doom Patrol.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Nah

Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There's no line between camp and serious drama?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s implied

I’m too lazy to go back and draw a squiggly line around them all.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

See? Convoluted line. Now, I'm going to go look for a good campy horror drama. A serious one.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Five lines!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's an optical illusion.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, like a five-sided mobius strip?

Like I said, "That is one convoluted line. My brain is reacting as if I'd just watched an episode of Doom Patrol."
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anybody else watching "Julia"?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sherlock Holmes TV Universe from Robert Downey Jr. In the Works at HBO
Robert Downey Jr. is reportedly returning to the world of Sherlock Holmes, where he is working on a pair of spinoff shows at HBO Max.

THR reports that Downey Jr. is set to executive produce two new series based on the detective stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Lionel Wigram, who produced both Downey Jr. Sherlock movies, is also on board as an executive producer. We don't know much about the plot of either series, or how connected they will end up being. We also don't yet know if Downey Jr. will reprise his role as Sherlock Holmes.
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Kraken wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:46 pm Anybody else watching "Julia"?
Gosh, you're old!

(wife and I are watching it and liking it!)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:33 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:46 pm Anybody else watching "Julia"?
Gosh, you're old!

(wife and I are watching it and liking it!)
Julia Child is still beloved in Boston/Cambridge, and our lives overlapped with her a little bit. Wife interviewed her once, and we went to one of her favorite fancy restaurants (The Blue Room) shortly before it closed. So we feel a tenuous connection with Julia. Plus, food porn!