Pet stories: sometimes happy, sometimes sad

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: Sad pet stories...and maybe a happy one

Post by Skinypupy »

So sorry AWS. 😢
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
dfs

Post by dfs »

oh AWS I'm so sorry. You can see the age in her eyes. It's hard to watch them waste away like that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Strangely other than her ears she looks like a kitten to me. That face is precious. Again deeply worry.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Thanks, everyone. She's gone now. It was a good 15(?) years with that scrappy girl.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm sorry for your family's loss. Losing a pet always hurts.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

So sorry for your loss. :cry:

Last cat i had to put to sleep also suffered kidney failure over a year, it was very hard watching her go downhill, but in the end it is the right decision to end their suffering. Doesn't make it any easier though.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Sorry to hear that AWS. I've had to put three kitties down over the years. It's always a painful decision.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

that is very sad.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

as a PSA for those who don't know: kidney failure is the #1 chronic disease in cats - i had read 30% of domestic felines will develop this in their lifetime. learn more here
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Since this thread popped up again I'll just mention that Warren recently passed his second anniversary of being officially cured of FIP and is a normal, healthy cat.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is he immune to FiP now?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:17 pm Is he immune to FiP now?
The coronavirus that causes FIP is very common in cats and can reinfect Warren, just as the covid coronavirus can reinfect me. However, FeCOV only mutates to cause disease in 1-2% of the cats that carry it. It's believed but unproven that stress triggers the disease. While it's possible that he could be reinfected AND the virus could mutate again, it's highly unlikely. Cases of cured cats getting sick again are rare...so far. This treatment has only been available for about 4 years, so there are no longer-term survivors than that.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:52 pm Since this thread popped up again I'll just mention that Warren recently passed his second anniversary of being officially cured of FIP and is a normal, healthy cat.
Happy 2nd FIP-Free Anniversary Warren!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:40 am
The coronavirus that causes FIP is very common in cats and can reinfect Warren, just as the covid coronavirus can reinfect me. However, FeCOV only mutates to cause disease in 1-2% of the cats that carry it. It's believed but unproven that stress triggers the disease. While it's possible that he could be reinfected AND the virus could mutate again, it's highly unlikely. Cases of cured cats getting sick again are rare...so far. This treatment has only been available for about 4 years, so there are no longer-term survivors than that.
Interesting info. Sry to bring this up but didn't Warren get sick with it soon after losing your other cat? Or am I remembering wrong. Had no idea stress would do that. Maybe he'll stay in the clear now. I hope so.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:04 am
Kraken wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:40 am
Interesting info. Sry to bring this up but didn't Warren get sick with it soon after losing your other cat? Or am I remembering wrong. Had no idea stress would do that. Maybe he'll stay in the clear now. I hope so.
That's right. He and Tiberius bonded, and then one day Beery just disappeared (from Warren's perspective). When Warren got diagnosed with FIP about six weeks later, his vet asked us if he'd experienced unusual stress. The link isn't proven but is widely believed.

Warren should live to a ripe old age. In fact there's a solid chance he'll outlive me. If he makes it to 16, as most of our other cats have done, I'll be 79.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Yesterday I had my two little dogs groomed. First time in a year. They were in bad need of being groomed.
Today my oldest died. Trauma must have been too much. He was doing fine after getting back.
He's been with me every day of his life, eighteen years ago.
:(
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm sorry for your loss.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My other dog just woke from his nap and is running around looking for his brother.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:49 am Yesterday I had my two little dogs groomed. First time in a year. They were in bad need of being groomed.
Today my oldest died. Trauma must have been too much. He was doing fine after getting back.
He's been with me every day of his life, eighteen years ago.
Im sry dbt. I had that happen. We got a full grown tiny little white pomeranian. She was so pretty and sweet but tiny. We'd had her a couple years at this point and Id bathed her before. But this time right after bathing her I toweled her off and sat her in out back area as usual and got the hair dryer. No more than 30 seconds or so had pased. Found her lifeless when I came back.

The only thing we can figure is stress or some underlying medical condition we didn't know about since we got her as an adult and she was tiny.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That's so sad. Heartfelt condolences.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'm so sorry, dbt. That is awful.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Sorry, DBT.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

My condolences DBT. Still, 18 years is a good run especially without falling apart at the end.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And that's 126 in dog years. Great run, but sorry for you.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

So sorry dbt. Now the memory will be their gift to you.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

:cry:

Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Really sorry to read this, dbt.

18 is a seriously long life for a dog.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:01 pm My other dog just woke from his nap and is running around looking for his brother.
I wonder if there is any psychological value to letting your other dog see/smell their deceased brother, for closure?

I'm probably a fool - but I just worry that they are left to 'worry'.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

He calmed down for a few hours and then went crazy again. Then just sat there looking at me.
His brother died at my feet while he slept and I took him away without him noticing.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:40 pm He calmed down for a few hours and then went crazy again. Then just sat there looking at me.
His brother died at my feet while he slept and I took him away without him noticing.
But not without him taking notice.
I honestly feel like animals are not given enough credit for how their minds work and how anxiety works against them as it does us.

Is there no window/way for him to learn the fate of his brother?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How old is the other little guy? Was he the other one's actual brother or just brother in name? I ask because if he is young enough you might get him a new brother or sister to keep company with.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

This one is 15-16. In good health except for his teeth. the other one was a runt and always in bad health. It really surprised me he lasted this long.
I'm satisfied with this last one, if he passes away I may get another.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I know that with birds that mate for life, you have to leave the body of a bird who's died with its mate for a few hours to give them the chance to mourn (literally) and understand that they're gone. If you take them away without the mate noticing, they'll stress themselves trying to find them.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Warren developed FIP within weeks after Tiberius died, and stress is a known trigger for FIP. From his perspective, his buddy just went out one morning and never came back. I don't think showing him the body would have made it better, though. Rigor mortis had already set in when we found him.

We knew we had to get Warren a kitten after he made friends with a hat. Wife had a plaid stocking cap with a big tassel and Warren started dragging it around the house and sleeping with it. It turns out that he doesn't like Bowie a whole lot, and sometimes I think he misses his hat.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not a sad story so dont get all misty eyed too fast. This is all good and just wanted to post new pics of my little guy. He is fine and well btw.
Here are couple new pics of Buster Boo. He is the little chihuahua that my sister helped me and Donna adopt and rescue from the local shelter in 2015 when he was 7 years old. He still weighs about 3 lbs and had his 15th birthday this year. Donna got to spend 3 years with him. Since then he wont leave my side. He comes to the kitchen or bathroom to find me and make sure Im still here if Im longer than 1 minute out of his sight. He is my precious little shadow. We are always together hip to hip.
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

That little fella has had a good run of it so far at 15. He's looking pretty good for his age.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

em2nought wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:11 pm That little fella has had a good run of it so far at 15. He's looking pretty good for his age.
Thanks! Ya he thinks he is a puppy at times. Runs through the house. Will go out on the porch and bark up a storm. He is feisty. At these ages little things that wouldn't slow them down when they were young will outright kill them.

You take each day you both wake up and see each other for a morning snog as a precious gift.

EDIT: He has a tail lol. He keeps it down a lot. As they get this age they tend to have a tad arthritis in the tail joints and keeping them down seems more comfortable for them. Though he will perk his right up over his back when he sees another dog to talk to or hears something. Just getting a pic of him when he is still is hard enough never mind getting the tail in the shot too.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

My cat of 13 year that has been my daughters shadow, has cancer and a few days at most to live. I've had many many pets and this is the worst thing I've ever dealt with. She's a Devon Rex (which have a life expectancy of 13) and was the best pet you could ever have. When you come home she would greet you and would always be trying to jump on your lap. It's heartbreaking to watch her fall apart rapidly over the last month or so. They found a mass last week near her liver we got the blood work back confirming it was cancer and next week we'll have to let her go. Every other pet I've had went on their own. I feel terrible to decide, but she's just not functional anymore. Just randomly peeing anywhere and everywhere. This sucks so much.

We could get the mass removed, but I think that's just being selfish if we did it. The vet said we could certainly check, but that he really doesn't see it helping. I talked to my daughter and she doesn't want us to do that. So even when we all agree it just feels so terrible to decide for her. I think I'm going to abstain from pets for a while. This is terrible.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Such a weird breed but I would never want anything else.Image
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com