[Streaming] Apple TV Plus

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

RunningMn9

Re: [Streaming] Apple TV Plus

Post by RunningMn9 »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:32 am
RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:17 pm Aren’t you the guy that thinks Charles McGill is a hero figure?
1. Me? If yes, then:
2. Don't think so, but also
3. Relevance?
If you were, that told me what I needed to know about your TV takes, as it would explain your awful take on S3 of Ted Lasso. I don't know what it is about that show that people seemed to not understand what S1 and S2 were about, that S3 seemed so different to them.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:17 pm Aren’t you the guy that thinks Charles McGill is a hero figure?
You're thinking of McNutt
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:
You're thinking of McNutt
Ah, yes!
Make up bags of change
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:51 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:32 am
1. Me? If yes, then:
2. Don't think so, but also
3. Relevance?
If you were, that told me what I needed to know about your TV takes, as it would explain your awful take on S3 of Ted Lasso. I don't know what it is about that show that people seemed to not understand what S1 and S2 were about, that S3 seemed so different to them.
As I said, for me personally, the writing was obviously worse, as were the scenarios/bits and storyline resolutions. 50% less funny as well. They also went from very-well balanced and managed ‘feel-good…ness’, to over the top, almost cartoonish positivity and mushiness.

And it’s not like that’s a crazy take: there’s a reason both critics and viewers dinged the final season relative to the first two, and IMO it’s not because they/we missed something that you picked up on (but I’m open to listening to opinions as to why my take is “terrible”).
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:28 pmFinished Ted Lasso Season 3 and I have to say I’ve rarely seen a show go from such great heights to absolute crap.

I have no words. Maybe the writers were all different? No idea, but they took an amazing, funny, unique IMO show and just destroyed its legacy completely with the final season. Wow.
Well, you really didn't indicate what you think the show is about, so I can't really address whether you are right or wrong about that. You really didn't offer much here other than it was "absolute crap", and that it destroyed its legacy completely. So all I can do is tell you what I think the show was about, and why I thought the third season was definitely in line with what the show was doing (even if I think that it is weaker than S1 and S2).

Fundamentally, the show is about the impact of kindness and positivity, told in three acts. The first act (S1) is about showing us the source of that phenomenon in the form of the flawed Ted Lasso. Ted is kind and positive despite dealing with something that is completely tearing him apart internally. We see the occasional crack in the foundation, but overall, Ted is positive and kind in spite of himself. The second act (S2) is about establishing the need for this kind of force in our lives. Nate's reaction to thinking that he lost it. Keely and Roy's relationship growing apart. Sam and Rebecca's relationship ending, etc. S2 is about ultimately seeing the conflict in the lives of those around Ted.

S3 is the payoff. It's all about how these characters have changed with this influence in their life. Ted has learned how to go home and be the positive impact that he needs to be in his son's life. Beard finds his happiness. Nate comes back from the edge and learns how to be happy. Rebecca, Sam, Roy, Keely, etc, etc. S3 is about how they've changed and grown, to be in a better place for having experienced how Ted changed their life.

If your take was "You know, I just didn't think S3 was as tight as the first two, it felt a little stretched out with some unnecessary fluff", I mean, that's a pretty reasonable take. Absolute crap? Legacy destroying? It just makes me wonder what show you were watching. How could S3 not be the obvious legacy of what they were building with the first two seasons? Don't like how it was executed? That's fair, but it seemed pretty clear to me at least, that this is where they were going. It felt like a natural path for the show to take, knowing it would end after three seasons.

They were even a bit heavy handed with it at the end, letting us know explicitly that the show wasn't ever about Ted at all.

To be honest, I feel the same way about your take here that I feel about people that hate the ending of Seinfeld. What show were people watching that they expected anything else than what they got?
Make up bags of change
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:02 am They were even a bit heavy handed with it at the end, letting us know explicitly that the show wasn't ever about Ted at all.
I see your "they were even a bit heavy handed" and raise you "they were much too heavy-handed, especially compared to the tone and writing of the previous seasons".

On its own, the third season's writing and scenes would be ok, but the first two seasons do exist, and generated loyal fans.

It's not secret that many of the people that were involved in the writing and running of the show left before and during the 3rd season, so I suspect a lot of what I picked up on had to do with that. Except for a few scenes (and one early episode), it felt like a completely different show to me.

Not sure what else to say except my enjoyment factor at the first two seasons was off the chart....so expectations were of course high (not their fault they made an amazing show). So when S3 came in with disjointed and missing story lines, a fraction of teh funny, and way too little Ted and Beard (and Roy, for that matter, an amazingly written character), I think the season (and as a result, the overall show) was much worse for it.

Maybe a decent analogy, but very different behind the scenes circumstances/continuity issues: Arrested Development was an amazing series. It was unique, creative, and garnered an almost cult like following, not to mention rave reviews (in fact, the RT scores for the first three seasons were very similar, maybe higher, than Ted Lasso). But the 4th season? Oof. COMPLETELY different, and objectively worse show (and terrible, IMO). Same cast of characters. Many callbacks to previous shows, storylines and jokes. Hell, people on this board only half jokingly refuse to acknowledge its existence, saying that there were only three seasons of AD. :D

I will not even mention the season that came after 4...for truly it doth. not. exist.
RunningMn9

[Streaming] Apple TV Plus

Post by RunningMn9 »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Except for a few scenes (and one early episode), it felt like a completely different show to me.
What does that mean? What about it felt like a different show?

What writers left the show after season 2? All of the principle writers remained through the entire series.

At the end of the day, you didn’t like it, and that’s fine. You don’t have to like it. Like many show conclusions, I find that some fans build up in their mind what they think should happen, and hate it when that isn’t what the writers did. And again, that’s ok.

I just think that the only way S3 ruins the legacy of Ted Lasso is if you didn’t really know the story they were trying to tell. You won’t really tell me what you think that was, and that’s fine. It’s just a TV show, it’s not important.

You didn’t like it. Roger.

Edit to add: it’s really nothing like AD, given that there was like 15 years between S3 and S4, and the production was significantly hampered by availability of the actors and writers. None of those factors were present here. You just didn’t like the story they were trying to tell you.
Make up bags of change
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

So someone’s criticism of a season or show is only valid if they (think) they know what story the writers were trying to tell?
Ok man. Weird take, but whatever.

Also, I addressed the AD analogy issue, as I said it’s not perfect.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I didn’t say your criticism is invalid. I said I don’t think your criticism is correct, and I explained why I think it’s incorrect. And I said that it doesn’t really matter because it’s a TV show and you can certainly think about it what you will.

The downside of posting your thoughts in public is that sometimes people reply to them. I’m sure you’ll manage this new found revelation just fine. ;)
Make up bags of change
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:28 pm you can certainly think about it what you will.
Thanks, Dad! :wub:
JCC

Post by JCC »

Season 3 of Ted Lasso was my least favorite (and my girlfriend's least favorite) season. But, that was largely for the first half or so. One of the main culprits was Keeley's arc in the early episodes. She went from a character I loved to one I was actually beginning to wish they would kill off. Having said that, we thought it (and Keeley) got much better in the 2nd half and loved the ending. Great show.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

My biggest issue with Ted Lasso S3 is how much takes place offscreen. Several times while watching it we paused to make sure we didn't miss an episode - but no, it's just that some of the biggest changes took place between episodes (like Ted deciding to go back to Kansas).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There were some standout moments (Coach Beard's backstory, Jamie's evolution into a decent-albeit still flawed-human being, and anything with Trent Crimm after he became a regular), but overall it just felt...well...almost mean spirited at times (Nathan's story, primarily...that felt undercooked and inorganic). Something I didn't expect or want from a show that made me hopeful for humanity each week. It also rushed through some stories that, as mentioned before, almost seemed to happen offscreen.

But that last episode really tugged at the old heartstrings.

The show I'm chomping at the bit for now is Monarch: Legacy of Monsters. I cannot wait for that to show up next year. :wub:
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

We watched all of Ted Lasso in one month-long run and we didn't really notice any stark change in tone. Our biggest problem with the show was probably Nate's Arc in season 2 that reminded me of the last season of Game of Thrones, but even more out of nowhere.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think the Nate story line is what did it for me. It felt awkward, rushed and unnecessary. Ted Lasso didn't need a "big bad", and that's what it felt like they were going for.
He won. Period.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

hepcat wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:47 pm I think the Nate story line is what did it for me. It felt awkward, rushed and unnecessary. Ted Lasso didn't need a "big bad", and that's what it felt like they were going for.
Isn't this just a story of someone who has felt small and bullied all their life who gets a taste of power and becomes a bully themselves? I think it could have been a bit more nuanced and been given a bit more time but Nate got a job from Rupert. Rupert is the most important person in his life. It's not surprising that he becomes more and more like Rupert. He sees Rupert as the success he wants to be. He was also jealous of Ted in many ways and wants to show him up. It's only when he realizes (in large part through the influence of his new girlfriend) that Rupert isn't who he wants to be and gets back on track. It absolutely needed more nuance and development but I don't see it as unnecessary.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But (for me) the show seemed to be about people growing due to their association with Ted. Nate did grow as a person....then became Anakin Skywalker when he suddenly didn't get the attention he felt he deserved. That felt a bit extreme in light of the journey's the other cast members underwent.

And again, this is just my opinion, of course.

However, it cannot be argued that making Trent Crimm a regular in season 3 was a stroke of genius.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:35 pm But (for me) the show seemed to be about people growing due to their association with Ted. Nate did grow as a person....then became Anakin Skywalker when he suddenly didn't get the attention he felt he deserved. That felt a bit extreme in light of the journey's the other cast members underwent.

However, it cannot be argued that making Trent Crimm a regular in season 3 was a stroke of genius.
Would totally watch the shit out of either a Roy-focused spinoff, or maybe even Coach Beard.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Beard might be tough to pull off. He's just so...absurd. Having him as a supporting character is the way to go, imho.

A show focusing on the enormously talented Hannah Waddingham's Rebecca would be cool. That way all the characters we've come to love remain important.

I doubt we'll get a Roy Kent show as Brett Goldstein seems to be in high demand lately.
He won. Period.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

hepcat wrote:But (for me) the show seemed to be about people growing due to their association with Ted. Nate did grow as a person....then became Anakin Skywalker when he suddenly didn't get the attention he felt he deserved. That felt a bit extreme in light of the journey's the other cast members underwent.

I think the problem with Season 2 Nate is that it took so long for the real reveal of the impact on Nate of what he perceived as the loss of Ted’s attention. They shot it in a way that you can see it happen very slowly, and in that light I would only say that it probably didn’t start as Nate thinking that he deserved the attention.

I think that eventual explosion at the end was the result of a slow motion reaction to mounting grief over the perceived loss of Ted’s attention.

I just hated Nate’s gross spitting nonsense.
Make up bags of change
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters.......new series.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

IN!!!!

Always loved Godzilla as a kid and IIRC my first comic was a Godzilla one.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Jon Stewart's The Problem has been cancelled:
According to the New York Times, which first reported the news, the cancellation came after creative differences between the iPhone maker and Stewart over potential topics and guests for The Problem. The NYT reported that Stewart informed his staff Thursday that Apple pushed back on topics relating to China and artificial intelligence. Production on season three was already under way, with filming poised to begin shortly.

Sources tell THR that there had been tension between Apple and Stewart ahead of the show’s third season return over topics featured on The Problem. Those same sources note that Apple approached Stewart and informed the host that both sides needed to be “aligned” regarding topics on the show. Stewart, sources say, balked at the idea of being “hamstrung” by Apple, which threatened to cancel the series. Stewart, sources say, wanted to have full creative control of the series and, after Apple threatened to cancel the series, told the tech company that he was walking away from the show rather than have his hands tied.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I expect him to have a new show lined up before Christmas.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:36 pm Jon Stewart's The Problem has been cancelled:
The NYT reported that Stewart informed his staff Thursday that Apple pushed back on topics relating to China
Apple is so utterly terrified of offending China. It's the same reason why North Korea is the antagonist in "For All Mankind" while China is barely mentioned.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:16 am
Fireball wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:56 am One of the best shows on AppleTV+ is Slow Horses. If anyone hasn't seen it, I highly recommend it. The seasons are short, like 6 episodes, but the stories are perfectly paced and they are shooting two seasons back to back each time, so they've already got the material needed for 4 seasons.
Looks interesting and I always like Gary Oldman.
Psst. Oldman is awesome in this series, and with each season he gets even better - Scott Thomas as well.

S3 is out now, with the final episode of the season dropping 12/27/23. also already picked up for S4.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Martha Wells' 'Murderbot' Stories coming to Apple TV

"It’s a big day for a certain Murderbot who just wants to watch its soaps. Apple TV+ has announced that it’s adapting Martha Wells’ The Murderbot Diaries series, with Alexander Skarsgård (True Blood, The Northman) on board as executive producer and to star as the titular Murderbot.

The scripts for the ten-episode season have already been written (before the writers’ strike, in fact), and production is set to start in just three months. Directors Chris and Paul Weitz (About a Boy, Mozart in the Jungle) are the creators of the show (as well as the writers, directors and producers via their banner Depth of Field) and also serve as executive producers. Other executive producers include David S. Goyer, the showrunner for Apple TV+’s Foundation series, Keith Levine from the company Phantom Four, and Andrew Miano for Depth of Field. Wells serves as a consulting producer.

For those of you unfamiliar with The Murderbot Diaries, the books center on a security android (or, as it likes to call itself, Murderbot) who hacks itself out of the shackles of its programming but still finds itself caring about its human clients (and some other A.I. folks as well) even though it doesn’t understand them."

I really like the novellas and see them as the right size for an hour-long episode each (my conjecture, purely).
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess Wahlberg is playing a tough guy with a heart of gold and an inability to pronounce anything with more than two syllables.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:25 pm I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess Wahlberg is playing a tough guy with a heart of gold and an inability to pronounce anything with more than two syllables.
It must give you some pleasure to realize that he's not exactly getting cast in modern equivalents of "Citizen Kane", right? :D (although I would argue that Boogie Nights was an important, deep, very "American" film...an amazing piece of cinema, especially considering PT Anderson was 27 when he directed it.)

I mean, he gets these roles BECAUSE of his cardboard acting...I think. Always the over the top dumb, and sometimes also tough guy.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think he's an action movie actor that is better suited for comedic roles. Unlike John Cena, who I think excels at both.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The problem with Wahlberg is his ego. He doesn't strike me as someone who can let himself be made the butt of a joke...even in a movie, while someone like Cena has shown he has no problem with it. So Wahlberg's roles all tend to be alpha males. He's a one trick pony and has been for a long time.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Wow, I’d like to see the Murderbot series. It’s very entertaining read.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I had to look that up. Now I wanna see it too.
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:44 pm Wow, I’d like to see the Murderbot series. It’s very entertaining read.
It's the best.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Looks good.

Just finished Monarch and enjoyed it although the time jumps confused the hell out of me in the beginning.
Definitely hope for Season 2.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us