[movie] The Matrix 4

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

[movie] The Matrix 4

Post by Daehawk »

No title or much info yet.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/20 ... 0f4b00053a
A fourth Matrix movie is happening and bringing most of the team back together. A new report from Variety confirms with Warner Bros. that Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss are set to reprise their roles as Neo and Trinity, while Lana Wachowski will write and direct the film.

“We could not be more excited to be re-entering the Matrix with Lana,” Warner Bros. Picture Group chairman Toby Emmerich says in a statement. “Lana is a true visionary — a singular and original creative filmmaker — and we are thrilled that she is writing, directing and producing this new chapter in ‘The Matrix’ universe.”
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
McNutt

Re: [movie] The Matrix 4

Post by McNutt »

The Wachowskis haven't let me down yet!

Wait...
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Haven't seen the first 3, so um... yeah.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:53 pm Haven't seen the first 3, so um... yeah.
And hi to our new members from the year 1978! I think you're really going to love the internet and other new and surprising technologies!
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

And while I'm at it, I haven't seen Pulp Fiction.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm cool with this if it can somehow erase the memory of Matrix 2 and 3. And Keanu can do no wrong lately, so strike while the iron's hot I guess.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Needs more Agent Smith.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

Kind of curious as to why Lilly and Lana don't seem to be doing projects together anymore.
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm thinking 38% on Rotten Tomatoes.

On the other hand, the screenplay is by Lana Wachowski and Aleksandar Hemon and David Mitchell, two writers not known for screenplays (the latter wrote Cloud Atlas). I'm not familiar with their work, but, it's not like the film is being written by David S. Goyer or something, so maybe there's room for cautious optimism?

The Matrix will forever be a classic, but I think a lot of its magic was rooted in the late-90s' newness of the mainstream Internet/cyberculture. Can a sequel be relevant twenty years later? Possibly. But it will need to diverge greatly from its predecessor. And artistically/technically, is there anything new that can rival how bullet time elevated the original?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/20 ... f051000651
Hugo Weaving made similar comments the following month, telling The Guardian he'd happily return as Agent Smith, but only if the Wachoskis specifically gave a sequel their blessing. Weaving also indicated he saw a full reboot as a more likely outcome.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:16 pm I'm cool with this if it can somehow erase the memory of Matrix 2 and 3. And Keanu can do no wrong lately, so strike while the iron's hot I guess.
My exact thoughts.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

First one was great, saw it at the drive-in twice and on DVD a couple times.

Fell asleep in the theater watching the second one. Bought the DVD, never watched it.

Bought the third one on DVD, never watched it.

Looking forward to the fourth one!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:41 am First one was great, saw it at the drive-in twice and on DVD a couple times.

Fell asleep in the theater watching the second one. Bought the DVD, never watched it.

Bought the third one on DVD, never watched it.

Looking forward to the fourth one!
"Saw the fourth on in the store, never bought it."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

After being blown away by the original, I remember constantly refreshing the sequel's movies.com page for details. I was actually able to find an archived page: https://web.archive.org/web/20010801143 ... index.html.

I remember reading this blurb multiple times: "Scenarios abound for the unfolding of the much-anticipated Matrix sequels, but as of this point, nothing has been confirmed. Plots mentioned include a visit to the underground haven of Zion, the revelation that Trinity is an agent, the introduction of a character more powerful than Neo, and the discovery of a Matrix within a Matrix."

We got to see Zion, but it was... disappointing. Trinity wasn't an agent, though that might have been interesting as much as I didn't want it to be true. There was no Matrix within the Matrix, though somehow we got something even more complicated.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I remember being blown away by Monica Bellucci's breasts in the sequel.
Black Lives Matter.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

That and Adrian Rayment's giant schlong.

UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

hepcat wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:28 pm
Rumpy wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:53 pm Haven't seen the first 3, so um... yeah.
And hi to our new members from the year 1978! I think you're really going to love the internet and other new and surprising technologies!
He took the blue pill. :wink:
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

I recently rewatched all three when they popped up on Netflix here in Australia.
The first one still is fantastic.
The second and third weren't as bad as I remembered. They weren't good either, and they arguably weren't necessary, but there were still some aspects of them (more the second than the third) that I enjoyed.
That said, I don't know why we would need a fourth, as a potential continuation again. Not sure where else most of the stories from the first trilogy can go really...
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Sudy wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:33 pm That and Adrian Rayment's giant schlong.
HE took the blue pill! :P
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

The first one made such an impact on me. I saw Star Wars, Star Wars not A New Hope, in theaters when it first came out. I was a kid so you can imagine how mind blowing that experience was. I never thought I'd experience anything close to that again. Then The Matrix came out and I was Star Wars level wowed.

Then the sequels came out and ruined everything.

Now I feel ambivalent. If they go back to what the first movie was about, this could be great. If they dive into the deep end again this will suck.

What I want is Neo waking people up. How does that work, what does he do with all those people, how do the machines respond, is it even possible to unplug everyone? Also, I'm hoping they use deepfake technology to create younger versions of Neo and Trinity. Then in the real world scenes we see them as they look today, when stuff is happening in the Matrix we'd see the deepfake versions. This would allow for far nuttier action scenes.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Maybe Neo will be involved in a new AI civil war? I'm sure there's some AIs that might think the decision to spare humans and let them live freely was "illogical". A bit of a retread but they could always show more AI culture and personalities.

Or it will suck. I'll be the optimist for now.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Collider
Jonathan Groff, who plays Agent Holden Ford on Netflix’s Mindhunter and voices Kristoff in Disney’s blockbuster Frozen franchise, has signed on to join the cast of The Matrix 4, Collider has exclusively learned.

Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss will reprise their roles as Neo and Trinity, while Aquaman villain Yahya Abdul-Mateen II is joining the franchise as a lead, though reports that he’ll play a young Morpheus remain unconfirmed. Jada Pinkett Smith will also be back as Niobe, while the latest sequel has also added Jessica Henwick and Neil Patrick Harris, the latter of whom is rumored to play a villain.
Badcompany

Post by Badcompany »

First one blew my mind. I walked out of the movie and went back in and bought another ticket and watched it again.
Vonzinth
ManAboutNothing

Post by ManAboutNothing »

As long as they keep those Wachowski people away from making other movies (that Jupiter thing was an abominable bore), they can make all the Matrixes they want.
Derek
Very part-time indie developer and full time internet business tinkerer/failure/blunderer
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bound and V for Vendetta were good.

Cloud Atlas suuuuuucked.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'll watch that in a theatre.
Hodor.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The trailer's good. But will this be a story desired by anyone who was a fan of the original? Conversely, will it appeal to younger audiences? Though I'm sure it will still make hundreds of millions either way, depending on where we are with wave forty-seven of the pandemic. There have already been some examples of late 90s/early 2000s nostalgia, but this seems like it may break it wide open.

This generation already has its neo Neo--it's Elliot from Mr. Robot. In fact, there probably a newer one by now.

They should call Reeves's character Archaios instead.

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Even if matrix 2 and 3 weren’t what I wanted, you can see the philosophical concepts in the backstory for the action. The first Matrix Neo involved Everyman wish fulfillment— but in the end you’re supposed to know there is no spoon.

If you know that, the Matrix sequels deal with all that fate and free choice bullshit you don’t believe in anyway. Not for everyone, but it’s ambitious and heady stuff.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's weird that Reeves and Moss and others are back, but Morpheus has been recast, and apparently no one seems to know why, per Google (best answer seems to be that Morpheus seemingly died in the Matrix Online game in 2005).

Also, California must have passed a law requiring a slow cover version of a classic song in major trailers.
Black Lives Matter.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I guess it might be an obvious conclusion, but it does make sense in-universe that there could be a "new" Morpheus, just as there were many Neos, and just as fairy godmother was creatively recast when Gloria Foster passed away.

I wonder if Fishburne might pop up as a surprise, but that might be too expected. Maybe something for potential sequels.

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:53 am Even if matrix 2 and 3 weren’t what I wanted, you can see the philosophical concepts in the backstory for the action. The first Matrix Neo involved Everyman wish fulfillment— but in the end you’re supposed to know there is no spoon.

If you know that, the Matrix sequels deal with all that fate and free choice bullshit you don’t believe in anyway. Not for everyone, but it’s ambitious and heady stuff.
I'm with you. Sure, it wasn't the mind blowing awesome of the first Matrix, but I thought the second two were interesting.

Also, the sequence from the introduction of the Merovigian until Neo grabs Morpheus (highway chase action scene) is my favorite section of any movie ever.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:27 am This is going to be good. But wheres Morpheus?

The Matrix Resurrections Seems to Know Which Matrix Movie People Like Best
One of my main concerns is that they'll wind up going with the The Force Awakens route and virtually remake the first Matrix.

My other concern is that I don't know that anything that the Wachowskis have done since the Matrix has been all that great, so maybe they just caught lightning in a bottle with that movie.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:34 am My other concern is that I don't know that anything that the Wachowskis have done since the Matrix has been all that great, so maybe they just caught lightning in a bottle with that movie.
Bound and V is for Vendetta were good.

My thing is I only watched the three Matrix movies, not all of the other mythology around them, and 2 and 3 really lost me. Where the first movie pulled me into a mythology and invited me to want more, the next two were just throwing stuff at me because "how deep does the rabbit hole go?" and either they didn't do a good job or I couldn't keep up and then I was done.

Maybe I'll try to go back and rewatch them all this time later and see if they mean more to me, though I'm not about to watch the cartoons and play games to get the whole reality just to watch a 4th movie.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

To this day Ive never seen 2 or 3 and dont regret it.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

HBO Max has all 3 movies in 4K btw. I watched it with my daughter who had never seen it before. She was blown away with how good it looked for when it was made. We didn't watch 2 and 3. Not sure if I will or not. I'm totally cool with them doing a 4th. If it sucks I just won't watch it. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:45 am
El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:34 am My other concern is that I don't know that anything that the Wachowskis have done since the Matrix has been all that great, so maybe they just caught lightning in a bottle with that movie.
Bound and V is for Vendetta were good.
I also love Cloud Atlas and Sens8, but I may be an outlier on those two.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

They're interesting creators, even if they generally haven't hit the mark in terms of critical success. I'd rather have a bucket of Wachowskis than another Michael Bay. Note that Lilly isn't involved with this film though, only Lana.