[movie] The Matrix 4

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: [movie] The Matrix 4

Post by LordMortis »

Malificent wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:10 pm
LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:45 am
El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:34 am My other concern is that I don't know that anything that the Wachowskis have done since the Matrix has been all that great, so maybe they just caught lightning in a bottle with that movie.
Bound and V is for Vendetta were good.
I also love Cloud Atlas and Sens8, but I may be an outlier on those two.
I didn't see either, so I can't have an opinion on them.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I appreciate what they try to do, even if The Matrix was the only thing that I enjoyed. I hated the last two Matrix movies almost as much as I hated Jupiter Ascending, yet for some reason I'm willing to give The Matrix 5 a chance.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

McNutt wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:55 pm I appreciate what they try to do, even if The Matrix was the only thing that I enjoyed. I hated the last two Matrix movies almost as much as I hated Jupiter Ascending, yet for some reason I'm willing to give The Matrix 5 a chance.
So you're willing to commit to the sequel already?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:09 am It's weird that Reeves and Moss and others are back, but Morpheus has been recast, and apparently no one seems to know why, per Google (best answer seems to be that Morpheus seemingly died in the Matrix Online game in 2005).
I just read an interview with Fishbourne and he said he was never even contacted about this movie. I'm not sure if he rubbed them the wrong way, like Marcus Chong (Tank) did in the first one, or if they though the story demanded a different direction.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The original movie was a BIG DEAL for me. It hit me just at the right time. In 1999 I was a year away from getting my computer science degree, so I was heavily immersed in all things technology. This also coincided with my entry into home theater and DVD, so I was very much into movies, special effects, etc. You combine that all together in one movie that I literally knew NOTHING about going in and it totally blew my mind. My friends and I were obsessed with this film.

Like many others I was a bit let down by Matrix 2 and 3, but at the same time I still had a great appreciation for the underlying philosophies. To the point I bought that "Animatrix" collection of Matrix animation and watched it over and over. I do owe the sequels a re-watch, however. I'm fairly confident I have not seen either one since they first came out on DVD.

Despite the cliched overuse of White Rabbit, I thought the trailer was great. Even got a few goosebumps when Keanu went into Neo mode. I'm a total Keanu fanboy though, so I'd have watched this even if it was called "Computer Wars" and had nothing to do with the Matrix. :D
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

McNutt wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:35 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:09 am It's weird that Reeves and Moss and others are back, but Morpheus has been recast, and apparently no one seems to know why, per Google (best answer seems to be that Morpheus seemingly died in the Matrix Online game in 2005).
I just read an interview with Fishbourne and he said he was never even contacted about this movie. I'm not sure if he rubbed them the wrong way, like Marcus Chong (Tank) did in the first one, or if they though the story demanded a different direction.
Yeah that seems bizarre to me. Even if they wanted a new Morpheus for some story reason, you'd think they would call Fishbourne at least as a courtesy. Does give the impression that there was something between him and the Wachowskis.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Wait, you can overuse and cliche the White Rabbit?

There was a period in the 80s and 90s when I was obsessive of that imagery.
Spoiler:

(couldn't find the original I saw a long time ago)

And I'm pretty certain I posted a photo of me going to as a masquerade as Alice a bit over a decade ago.
I could go on and on and on. Such a huge influence on my appreciation of... stuff...
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:19 pm Wait, you can overuse and cliche the White Rabbit?
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:56 pm
McNutt wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:35 pm
Yeah that seems bizarre to me. Even if they wanted a new Morpheus for some story reason, you'd think they would call Fishbourne at least as a courtesy. Does give the impression that there was something between him and the Wachowskis.
What they are saying is that Morpheus died in the official Matrix video game and they treat that as canon. Strangely weird dedication or very creative bullshit? With the Wachowskis it could go either way.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I get the impression that Morpheus was recast because the story requires him to be young. While it might be possible to chew up a chunk of the budget to de-age Fishbourne via CGI, it's a lot simpler to recast the role.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It also just seems bizarre that they have a new young Morpheus while the other characters are old. Are they going to make the Morpheus role a recurring thing in the Matrix just like "The One" was a recurring role through Matrix cycles? If Morpheus is dead, you'd think they'd just create a new character to serve in that mentor role.

We'll see, I guess.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Just watched this on HBO Max. I thought the premise was actually pretty good. There is a short spot after the credits, but it's basically a throwaway joke.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I thought it was fine. Not great. It hurt my brain a bit at the beginning trying to figure out what was going on but once it was clear... it was fine.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

How much knowledge of the previous movies is needed to enjoy this one?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

66% Rotten Tomatoes. Oof.

I’ll watch it out of respect for the amazing first movie, but this is way below my normal ‘watch’ percent threshold.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stimpy wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:09 pm How much knowledge of the previous movies is needed to enjoy this one?
Zero, it becomes obvious by the end.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:18 pm
stimpy wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:09 pm How much knowledge of the previous movies is needed to enjoy this one?
Zero, it becomes obvious by the end.
I would say pretty much the opposite. If you haven't seen the original, no point in seeing this. I'm only saying the original because I don't remember much of anything but disappointment from the others. Regardless, I don't think Resurrections stands on its own at all.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Watched it yesterday it and loved it. Felt like It was written specifically for me and people like me. It kinda stands on its own? I mean if you took out all the popculture and inside jokes would an episode of family guy stand on it own? The recursive nature of the story telling/ worlds was predictable but fun. The sticking to a finite number of layers helped it stay grounded and focus on relationships instead of just simulation theory. Neo and Trinity were fantastic and their age showing against this new generation was surreal to someone just hitting 40. I appreciated the irreverence and not holding the original precious while also maintaining continuity and canon. New Smith was great, Merv was great, the analyst was weird and maybe a weak point but was mostly an allegorical stand-in so the actor did their best and I enjoyed it.
I appreciated the optimism in a dark world vibe. Things are bad, terrible stuff happens and WILL continue to happen. Every time we have a choice we can make positive choices or not, and that's never the end (unless we die). Everything is recursive but it is not a closed torture loop. It's a coil that influences and informs itself without dictating.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

That's funny as I hated it so much that I can't even describe it. I loved the first movie and hated the next two. So it's going to be one of those love it or hate it movies based on other people I talked to who watched it. Sadly as much as I was excited to watch it I just didn't like pretty much any of it. :x
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Count me in as a positive review. I can understand why people didn't like it, but I thought it was a quality story for what it was... a nostalgic lookback at a 20 year old movie.

But then I liked Matrix Reloaded a lot and thought Revolutions was fine (though flawed). So, on the public scale of reviewers, I'm clearly very kind to the franchise.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Octavious wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:48 am That's funny as I hated it so much that I can't even describe it. I loved the first movie and hated the next two. So it's going to be one of those love it or hate it movies based on other people I talked to who watched it. Sadly as much as I was excited to watch it I just didn't like pretty much any of it. :x
Maybe the Critical Drinker can describe your hate:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya that pretty much sums it up though that guy is kind of a dick.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:13 am Ya that pretty much sums it up though that guy is kind of a dick.
His videos have been getting shared on my Facebook feed a fair amount lately. He's definitely got serious "old man shaking fist at cloud" energy. He's got another video that's basically arguing that new Star Trek is bad because it's written by kids who don't know anything while old Star Trek was written by men who knew and understood sacrifice.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:20 am
Octavious wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:13 am Ya that pretty much sums it up though that guy is kind of a dick.
His videos have been getting shared on my Facebook feed a fair amount lately. He's definitely got serious "old man shaking fist at cloud" energy. He's got another video that's basically arguing that new Star Trek is bad because it's written by kids who don't know anything while old Star Trek was written by men who knew and understood sacrifice.
Please refer to avatar. :D

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:03 am Watched it yesterday it and loved it. Felt like It was written specifically for me and people like me. It kinda stands on its own? I mean if you took out all the popculture and inside jokes would an episode of family guy stand on it own? The recursive nature of the story telling/ worlds was predictable but fun. The sticking to a finite number of layers helped it stay grounded and focus on relationships instead of just simulation theory. Neo and Trinity were fantastic and their age showing against this new generation was surreal to someone just hitting 40. I appreciated the irreverence and not holding the original precious while also maintaining continuity and canon. New Smith was great, Merv was great, the analyst was weird and maybe a weak point but was mostly an allegorical stand-in so the actor did their best and I enjoyed it.
Agreed, we just saw it and really enjoyed it. To me, the story made more sense than Matrix movies 2 and 3...

And you can't go wrong putting Keanu Reeves and Neil Patrick Harris in a scene together :D
disarm

Post by disarm »

I just finished...decent enough movie, but I feel like there was something lacking. I think the story worked well, but the action just didn't do it for me like the original (or parts of the sequels)...no lobby shootout, no highway chase, mediocre fight choreography with no chance for Keanu to really show off the martial arts and gunplay badass we know he can be thanks to John Wick. I won't say that I didn't enjoy Resurrections, but I guess that I just expected something more.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That was kind of my takeaway after watching it too.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I guess I don't care all that much about action sequences. It's interesting because I keep seeing laudatory references to the highway sequence in Matrix 2. But like, I mainly just remember that as one of a million PEW PEW PEW KICK BOOM type sequences - kind of fun in short bursts but who really cares all that much in the end. Do people love the highway sequence?
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:19 pm I guess I don't care all that much about action sequences. It's interesting because I keep seeing laudatory references to the highway sequence in Matrix 2. But like, I mainly just remember that as one of a million PEW PEW PEW KICK BOOM type sequences - kind of fun in short bursts but who really cares all that much in the end. Do people love the highway sequence?
Like many things in this series, if you examine it too closely it falls apart quickly. For example, if the agents were made to be powerful, why not just make them all super powerful?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Octavious wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:48 am That's funny as I hated it so much that I can't even describe it. I loved the first movie and hated the next two. So it's going to be one of those love it or hate it movies based on other people I talked to who watched it. Sadly as much as I was excited to watch it I just didn't like pretty much any of it. :x
Im with you on this one. I tried watching it, made it through about 45 minutes and finally turned it off. And i love the original Matrix. I think there was more reality to the part when the characters start talking about the studio forcing them to do it than we know.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought the meta wraparound stuff was clever at times, but let’s face it: the Matrix films have always lived or died on the strength of their action scenes. It’s not like they’re bringing anything terribly deep to the world of philosophy.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:19 pm I guess I don't care all that much about action sequences. It's interesting because I keep seeing laudatory references to the highway sequence in Matrix 2. But like, I mainly just remember that as one of a million PEW PEW PEW KICK BOOM type sequences - kind of fun in short bursts but who really cares all that much in the end. Do people love the highway sequence?
From the time they show up to talk to Merv til the end of the highway sequence is easily the best part of Reloaded.
Hodor.
disarm

Post by disarm »

El Guapo wrote:I guess I don't care all that much about action sequences. It's interesting because I keep seeing laudatory references to the highway sequence in Matrix 2. But like, I mainly just remember that as one of a million PEW PEW PEW KICK BOOM type sequences - kind of fun in short bursts but who really cares all that much in the end. Do people love the highway sequence?
Spend a little time watching how they made that highway chase and you might change your mind. A ridiculous amount of that was done with real cars, the actual actors driving, and all of it on the largest movie sets ever constructed...a 1.5 mile lopping section of highway built just for the movie.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

underwhelmed; should have been more meta
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Count me on the "loved it" list. I agree with everything Lemur posted above. The biggest thing for me though was just the pure chemistry between Neo and Trinity, it just tugged at my heart strings lol. Sometimes I just want to see two people I think belong together be together and nothing else matters.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

disarm wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:02 pm
El Guapo wrote:I guess I don't care all that much about action sequences. It's interesting because I keep seeing laudatory references to the highway sequence in Matrix 2. But like, I mainly just remember that as one of a million PEW PEW PEW KICK BOOM type sequences - kind of fun in short bursts but who really cares all that much in the end. Do people love the highway sequence?
Spend a little time watching how they made that highway chase and you might change your mind. A ridiculous amount of that was done with real cars, the actual actors driving, and all of it on the largest movie sets ever constructed...a 1.5 mile lopping section of highway built just for the movie.

I don't doubt that it was hard to make, but it was also almost completely devoid of stakes or tension. Like, obviously all the heroes were going to get away.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

pr0ner wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:14 pm
From the time they show up to talk to Merv til the end of the highway sequence is easily the best part of Reloaded.
Disagree.

Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Uh, that's the only part of the movie she's in!
Hodor.