[series] The Mandalorian ......Disney

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: [series] The Mandalorian ......Disney

Post by Holman »

I hate to say it, but I think ANDOR has set the bar too high for me to be satisfied with MANDO now.

Every time something cutesy or goofy happens now, I just find myself wishing for more Stellan Skarsgard instead.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

+1
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Same, but I also just don’t think this season is as good as the previous ones - and I loved the previous ones.

But yeah, fuckin’ Andor man. :D Don’t see any SW show ever topping that.

OTOH Mando is I *think* intentionally ‘Marvelly’ and a bit ‘cartoony’ if that makes sense? Like so many (most?) Marvel movies, it feels like they are trying to translate a bit of…maybe shallowness and single-dimensionality from a comic to the big screen.

And I’m ok with that if that’s what they are going for, and I don’t go in expecting Citizen Kane.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:20 am I hate to say it, but I think ANDOR has set the bar too high for me to be satisfied with MANDO now.

Every time something cutesy or goofy happens now, I just find myself wishing for more Stellan Skarsgard instead.
I totally understand. I view Mando as more for the teen me, while Andor is for the adult me. Any chance it had for being more than that went out the window the moment they made the show more about baby Yoda than anything else.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

Today's was quite the episode. I would call this the most "Andor" episode of the Mandalorian.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would friggin' kill to see Grogu deliver Luthen Rael's speech to a confused Ewok.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:06 pm
Holman wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:20 am I hate to say it, but I think ANDOR has set the bar too high for me to be satisfied with MANDO now.

I totally understand. I view Mando as more for the teen me, while Andor is for the adult me. Any chance it had for being more than that went out the window the moment they made the show more about baby Yoda than anything else.
Yeah, I agree with that. I really liked episode 3, but at the same time the combination of bringing back Baby Yoda in the offseason plus spending 60%+ of this episode with a minor non-Mando character on Coruscant makes it feel like they can't totally decide what show The Mandalorian should be.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I think episode 3 is a bridge episode changing the story in a new direction. Now that the redemption storyline is wrapping up I believe they are going to involve the gang in some of the internal turmoil in the New Republic. They used some of these minor characters as touchstones for the major change in plotlines. I expect we have not seen the last of Moff Gideon.
JCC

Post by JCC »

This week's episode was short but excellent!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
JCC

Post by JCC »

7 minutes into this week's episode... HOLY NERDGASM!!!
Spoiler:
ZEB~!
Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Really enjoyed episode 5.
Spoiler:
I like it when they have their annual Seven Samurai episode. But this one seemed more fun and meaningful than the previous ones.
I also like the new story arc that’s emerging. I’d be okay with it becoming the basis of season 4.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OMG, this next episode... I'll not spoil it.

big smiles.
JCC

Post by JCC »

This week's episode short synopsis: Fun cameos. Big moment.
Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I know it’s just a teen action show and I shouldn’t look too hard at it, but the weird depiction of a slave race that loves its oppressors makes for a confusing story. What’s the message we’re supposed to get here?
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That was a really fun episode. And a great palate-cleanser after the heavier stuff in previous episodes.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was genuinely surprised at the guest stars - they were great.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I really enjoyed both of them. They have crazy good chemistry.

But can we put a moratorium on the Grogu jump scenes? It really does look less like a young creature jumping and more like a puppet being tossed at people.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

A pretty awesome penultimate episode today. "Yes.yes.yes.yes."
Black Lives Matter

Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I didn't really like the cameo-filled episode from last week, but today's was very good. They're definitely filling in the gap between RotJ and TFA, which is good?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Damnit
Spoiler:
They killed Tank. I liked Tank. :(
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:08 pm Damnit
Spoiler:
Yeah, I was really bummed about that too.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Unagi wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:30 am
hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:08 pm Damnit
Spoiler:
Yeah, I was really bummed about that too.
This is the Way.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

One part I enjoyed:
Spoiler:
How most of the Shadow Council people were like “we are here to do the cool stuff from the Thrawn books,” while that loser Hux was all “I’m growing Palpatine in a test tube to set up the terrible nonsense in Rise of Skywalker.”
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Regarding Thrawn
Spoiler:
Partr of me feels they could bring Thrawn in at a key moment that spoils a victory of Moff Gideon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:03 am Regarding Thrawn
Spoiler:
Partr of me feels they could bring Thrawn in at a key moment that spoils a victory of Moff Gideon
Spoiler:
Seems like they'll want to give Thrawn at least a small amount of screen time to set up Ahsoka. But he can't show up to back up Gideon without having Thrawn wipe out all of the Mandalorians, which I don't think they'll want to do. Possible that he'll show up after a Mandalorian dramatic victory to help Gideon escape, or that he'll be in more of a "post-credit teaser" sequence.

Or, possible that one of the Mandalorian crew (most likely Bo, Axe, or maybe one of the Skiff Mandalorians) has reached some sort of secret alliance with Thrawn, and Thrawn will show up but in a twist will take out Gideon.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:07 am
Spoiler:
Seems like they'll want to give Thrawn at least a small amount of screen time to set up Ahsoka. But he can't show up to back up Gideon without having Thrawn wipe out all of the Mandalorians, which I don't think they'll want to do. Possible that
Or, possible that one of the Mandalorian crew (most likely Bo, Axe, or maybe one of the Skiff Mandalorians) has reached some sort of secret alliance with Thrawn, and Thrawn will show up but in a twist will take out Gideon.
Spoiler:
That's along the lines of what I was thinking. The details may be unseeable right now, but I feel like with Gideon's comments about Thrawn in this episode - they are setting up that Gideon will be seen as Thrawn's first piece to take off the board when he does appear, and climactically that may best come at a moment where we feel Gideon is just about to win it all.

And then somehow they would need Thrawn to then go away for some other reason (I assume).
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:14 am
Spoiler:
Seems like they'll want to give Thrawn at least a small amount of screen time to set up Ahsoka. But he can't show up to back up Gideon without having Thrawn wipe out all of the Mandalorians, which I don't think they'll want to do. Possible that
Spoiler:
That's along the lines of what I was thinking. The details may be unseeable right now, but I feel like with Gideon's comments about Thrawn in this episode - they are setting up that Gideon will be seen as Thrawn's first piece to take off the board when he does appear, and climactically that may best come at a moment where we feel Gideon is just about to win it all.

And then somehow they would need Thrawn to then go away for some other reason (I assume).
Spoiler:
Thrawn wouldn't need to go away necessarily. If Thrawn has a deal with one of the Mandalorians, then presumably the deal is that Thrawn lets the Mandalorians return to Mandalore under the leadership of the Mandalorian in question, in exchange for an agreement to support Thrawn in his conflicts with the New Republic and with rivals in the Imperial Remnant (and their help knocking off Gideon).

Kind of thinking that Axe is the most likely candidate to have a deal with Thrawn, given his copious time off screen and given Bo's genuine surprise over finding an imperial base on Mandalore. If that's what they do, then Gideon's forces would be essentially wiped out, and Djinn Bo and other Mandalorians who refuse to go along would flee.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:27 am
Unagi wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:14 am
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Thrawn wouldn't need to go away necessarily. If Thrawn has a deal with one of the Mandalorians, then presumably the deal is that Thrawn lets the Mandalorians return to Mandalore under the leadership of the Mandalorian in question, in exchange for an agreement to support Thrawn in his conflicts with the New Republic and with rivals in the Imperial Remnant (and their help knocking off Gideon).

Kind of thinking that Axe is the most likely candidate to have a deal with Thrawn, given his copious time off screen and given Bo's genuine surprise over finding an imperial base on Mandalore. If that's what they do, then Gideon's forces would be essentially wiped out, and Djinn Bo and other Mandalorians who refuse to go along would flee.
Spoiler:
well, I admit - I was trying to keep Mandalore with Bo and keep the whole reunification intact.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Today's finale (while shorter than I expected) was awesome. No post credits scene.
Black Lives Matter

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, this was honestly a fantastic season finale. Bravo!
Spoiler:
I really loved the final shot, with Grogoo playing with frogs again.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The season started weak but finished strong. Had a lot of fun with it. Even if they’ve decided that Mandalorian rocket packs are now capable of interstellar travel considering how long they use them these days. Remember when they were meant for short distances?
Covfefe!
naednek

Post by naednek »

hepcat wrote:The season started weak but finished strong. Had a lot of fun with it. Even if they’ve decided that Mandalorian rocket packs are now capable of interstellar travel considering how long they use them these days. Remember when they were meant for short distances?
That was my thought. They could barely fly to the big dragon nest

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:00 pm The season started weak but finished strong. Had a lot of fun with it. Even if they’ve decided that Mandalorian rocket packs are now capable of interstellar travel considering how long they use them these days. Remember when they were meant for short distances?
(I'm a fan of love-born Star Wars critique)

Spoiler:
It struck me, with the scenes they shared during the "Previously" recap on this episode: when they first saw Moff Gideon's troopers and yelled, "Jet Packs!" (but they weren't Mandalorians) -- My mind went to the original (and a number of subsequent) Star Wars material, where even on a planet that is "the farthest from the bright center of the universe" (Tatooine), they are totally capable of everyday hover/gravity-defying technology (the Obi-Wan series compounded this conception with regard to the prevalence of anti-gravitational devices on third-world planets) with their land speeders and many vehicles like it. One would think that "Jet Packs!" wouldn't be all that much of a "shocker" in that context.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

naednek wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:05 pm
hepcat wrote:The season started weak but finished strong. Had a lot of fun with it. Even if they’ve decided that Mandalorian rocket packs are now capable of interstellar travel considering how long they use them these days. Remember when they were meant for short distances?
That was my thought. They could barely fly to the big dragon nest

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
It did seem a bit silly. But technically a space ship can orbit the earth as low as 125km or 80 miles. Satellites are up higher, but they aren’t powered like a the Mandalorian space craft. So ignoring how much power it would take going up vs. sideways (it’s not like Mandalorian’s have wings, so not quite sure what the aerodynamics traveling along the surface look like. If the Mandalorians were heading to the Dragon Nest at the cruising speed of an F-18 (660 mph), a 20 minute flight to the Dragon Nest would be a 220 mile flight, certainly enough distance to get into low-earth orbit.

Anyway, generally enjoyed the last episode and the season, although the season did meander around a bit. It was probably the weakest of the three seasons, but still generally a good time, with the last few episodes being quite good IMO.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Season 2 spoiler inside
Spoiler:
This is really well done. :lol:

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I also enjoyed the finale.
Spoiler:
I will say that it wasn't particularly interesting as a finale - no twists, not a lot of depth or interesting character developments. Rather it was a pretty straightforward "heroes wipe the floor with the bad guys" finale very much in line with the end of a Marvel film or series.

That said, it was a lot of fun, and I'm pretty full up with bleak and nuanced shows, so totally happy that they went this route. Plus like it was honestly a lot of fun to see a giant rocketeer fight.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've come to the conclusion that the best character on the show is the Armorer, by the way. Let's get a spin off, Disney.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:19 pm I've come to the conclusion that the best character on the show is the Armorer, by the way. Let's get a spin off, Disney.
I love that everyone is flying into battle with blasters and she’s going in with a pair of Beskar blacksmith tools and kicking ass.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I like that she’s a true leader. She isn’t some two dimensional cult leader. She leads an almost fanatical faction of her people, but she knows that she has to allow change in order to keep her people alive. So she changes course to accept Bo as a fellow leader.
Covfefe!
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I thought it was a pretty good ending to a disjointed season. Good action scenes, a neat reveal about Gideon's plans but otherwise kind of predictable. I did just finish a rewatch of Andor so I might just be spoiled by it. That's an absolutely fantastic show that Mandalorian kind of started out like but has become more popcorn-lite to me.

One thing my son mentioned that I can't get out of my head now...
Spoiler:
The shadow chamber/control room that Gideon was in had that amazing security (layered force fields, 8? Beskar Troopers, etc.)... for the front door. As the fight progressed they leave the room through another door... and just walk out into the hangar bay.