Peacock. NBC's new streaming service.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Peacock. NBC's new streaming service.

Post by Isgrimnur »

Variety
Peacock has given a straight-to-series order to a “Friday the 13th” prequel currently titled “Crystal Lake,” Variety has learned.

Exact plot details are being kept under wraps, although it is described as an “expanded prequel.” The show will be written by Bryan Fuller, who is also the showrunner and an executive producer. Victor Miller, who penned the original film in the franchise, will also executive produce along with Marc Toberoff, Rob Barsamian, and A24. A24 will also serve as the studio behind the series.
Fuller is known for creating or co-creating shows like “Hannibal” at NBC, “Pushing Daisies” at ABC, “Dead Like Me” at Showtime, “American Gods” at Starz, and “Star Trek: Discovery” at Paramount+. He is also known for his work on “Star Trek: Voyager” as well as “Heroes.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I want to throw in another recommendation for Killing It on Peacock. I mentioned it elsewhere, but it's a really good comedy/drama. Of course, Craig Robinson is one of my comic actor gods, so it's got that going for it.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Paul T. Goldman is a true story until it isn’t. It’s an increasingly uncomfortable series told in both documentary and sometimes fictional drama. I started watching before the holidays and I’m about 5 episodes in…and I’m still not sure what’s true and what’s not. But it’s been a crazy ride.

He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, uh... this is apparently a thing.

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Somehow, I became subscribed to this and found out only by going through my Amazon bill. I canceled it right away -- still had nearly a month to watch a damned thing on it.

It canceled the other day. Didn't watch a damned thing.
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I have the mid-tier subscription that comes for free with Comcast/Xfinity. I don't watch any of their "original content", although maybe I'll check out Mrs. Davis or Poker Face at some point. But for now I only use it for older network shows - stuff that I've seen but occasionally want to re-watch (e.g. House), or stuff that I started watching and never finished (e.g. Royal Pains), or stuff that I never got around to watching when it was airing (e.g. Psych).
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wife bought a year of this for $30 so she could watch Poker Face. The first two episodes were meh, the third was pretty good, and then we got distracted. Will finish, and can probably find a movie or two in the 9 months that we have left. But Tubi has lots of better content for free, so I don't see Peacock lasting past the year. The Mad Max trailer doesn't appeal to me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

gilraen wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:31 am I have the mid-tier subscription that comes for free with Comcast/Xfinity. I don't watch any of their "original content", although maybe I'll check out Mrs. Davis or Poker Face at some point. But for now I only use it for older network shows - stuff that I've seen but occasionally want to re-watch (e.g. House), or stuff that I started watching and never finished (e.g. Royal Pains), or stuff that I never got around to watching when it was airing (e.g. Psych).
Ditto. I'm not sure I'd keep it if it weren't included in my cable internet service. But I do enjoy a few things they offer.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:55 am The Mad Max trailer doesn't appeal to me.
It's more of a Car Wars/Interstate '76/Gaslands trailer, but yeah - nothing in there really drew me in. Having played the first three games in the series, I'm not sure that it's ripe ground for a show.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Seemed like an odd choice of music for a show based on a game called Twisted Metal, that, as I recall, used substantially harder music.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think they intended the music choice to be humorous. It's very light hearted in sound, yet it's being played over scenes of automotive carnage.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I'm going with intentional absurdity with the music. It mismatched everything in the trailer, which was worth a small chuckle.

It was probably also trying to push the nostalgia a bit - Twisted Metal was at it's most popular in the late 90s. I only played up through 3 (which, as I recall, had a soundtrack built around Rob Zombie.) He's apparently playing Roadkill:

I still don't see much in there to build a show around, and I don't plan to subscribe for it. But who knows - stranger show concepts have worked in the past.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

So just found out today that Comcast is ending the free Peacock Premium access to its customers on June 26. And apparently Peacock already nixed the free tier back in February. So much for that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They’re running a summer deal for 19.99 for a year. If it’s still valid after June 26th, I may just create a new account and do that. The code is SUMMEROFPEACOCK
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

"This Code is valid May 24, 2023 – June 12, 2023"
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:24 am "This Code is valid May 24, 2023 – June 12, 2023"
Then I’ll subscribe on the 11th, I guess.
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:08 pm
stimpy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:24 am "This Code is valid May 24, 2023 – June 12, 2023"
Then I’ll subscribe on the 11th, I guess.
Subscribed.....and canceled. Good until 6/11/24, then we'll see what happens.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
disarm

Post by disarm »

I received an email from Xfinity a few days ago with the following message. I guess a lot of us will continue to receive Peacock for free after all...

We recently announced that Peacock Premium would no longer be included with your Xfinity service. Today, we're excited to share that you'll soon be eligible to get Peacock Premium at no extra cost as a special perk of being an Xfinity Internet customer and a Diamond or Platinum Xfinity Rewards member.

With Peacock Premium (currently $4.99/mo value), you can stream hit movies, live sports – like Sunday Night Football and the Premier League, exclusive Originals, and so much more.

Beginning June 26, you can redeem Peacock Premium by signing into Xfinity Rewards.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But you have to be a super secret gold pressed latinum member of xfinity it sounds like.

Edit: in all seriousness, I looked up platinum and diamond membership requirements. Platinum is only bestowed on customers who have been with xfinity for at least 7 years. Diamond is double that.
He won. Period.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

It's weird because I got an email from them in March telling me congratulations on being a Gold member. And then the email last week telling me that I'll be able to re-subscribe for Peacock Premium for $2.99/month. But I've been a customer WAY longer than 7 years, and when I actually log into the website, it shows me as a Platinum member. So I guess we'll see if their systems can figure it out correctly on June 26th.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:29 pm But you have to be a super secret gold pressed latinum member of xfinity it sounds like.

Edit: in all seriousness, I looked up platinum and diamond membership requirements. Platinum is only bestowed on customers who have been with xfinity for at least 7 years. Diamond is double that.

I just checked. Apparently I'm a Diamond member. I'm so lucky to have been with Comcast for all these years. Whoopee.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:36 pm
hepcat wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:29 pm But you have to be a super secret gold pressed latinum member of xfinity it sounds like.

I just checked. Apparently I'm a Diamond member. I'm so lucky to have been with Comcast for all these years. Whoopee.
I would ask them for the diamond.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I get my comcast internet bundled with my rent, so I’m not eligible. But I did grab the 20 bucks for a year deal.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:41 pm So, uh... this is apparently a thing.

Wow. This looks genuinely bad. The small bit of interest-from-nostalgia I had dried up after watching this.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Looks like some random dude cosplaying Sweet Tooth at a Playstation convention. :lol:

I loved Twisted Metal back in the day. But that was like....way, way back in the day.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I guess Mackie has to do something between Marvel projects...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just got an email from Comcast that my two years of free Peacock Premium (their bottom tier.)

I went and looked at the offerings. Yay?
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

The only good thing about Peacock is somehow they get some movies soon after they've hit the theater.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't even know why I'm posting this, save, perhaps, for the need for closure.

It looks like they threw out the core premise of the games (at least the ones I've played) of it being an arena competition. Of course, it's not like the games are heavy on plot.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I mean, you kind of run out of story pretty quick if you stick to the source for it.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m….oddly entertained by Twisted Metal. It does absolutely nothing new or original. But it’s very well made as far as action shows go. It’s fun for a drive in movie kind of night.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stimpy wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:31 pm The only good thing about Peacock is somehow they get some movies soon after they've hit the theater.
Not quite true. IMO, the BEST thing about the individual streaming services like Peacock, Hulu, Netflix (depending), Disney+, Max, etc, is that they offer GLORIOUS 4K and/or very high resolution and/or very uncompressed feeds. Whatever it is, it absolutely spanks the likes of ALL the "live TV" streamers like Youtube TV, Sling, etc al. The difference (at least on my TV) is amazing.

The women's soccer World Cup streaming on Peacock was absolutely gorgeous, with probably the best looking signal I have ever seen.

In fact, because of this, I am desperately trying to find a standalone solution for ESPN this season so I can actually see the games in very high res. I've tried almost all the live TV options (just to get ESPN, just to watch the SEC Network), and the image was consistently awful. I just can't believe ESPN doesn't do their own streaming platform (I guess because they whore themselves out to all the live TV streamers). And in case someone was going to mention ESPN+, no, that is not the same thing.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:12 pm I just can't believe ESPN doesn't do their own streaming platform (I guess because they whore themselves out to all the live TV streamers).
This is coming. Numerous news sites (includeing Forbes/WSJ) have reported this. The reports indicate it will start at $22/month. I would bet every year that price will go up. It's just a matter of when...

This may seem good, but long term when FOX, CBS, etc. all decide to do this, it will possibly/probably end up costing customers more, not less, to watch all the sports they want vs. subbing to cable/YouTubeTV and the like.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:24 pm I just got an email from Comcast that my two years of free Peacock Premium (their bottom tier.)

Watch Poker Face.

Then ignore Peacock until they release another season of Poker Face.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I don’t have much faith that ESPN will get the DTC transition right. They rely so heavily on cable companies and don’t seem to have any vision for a world where everything is online. It’s like they’ve spent the past 15 years hoping that the switch to streaming won’t have any impact on them.

A price point over $15/month feels insane. ESPN+ at $9.99/month feels right, until you realize it’s not the same content as the actual channel.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Exodor wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:58 am
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:24 pm I just got an email from Comcast that my two years of free Peacock Premium (their bottom tier.)

Watch Poker Face.

Then ignore Peacock until they release another season of Poker Face.
Also if you're a fan of the John Wick murderverse there's the upcoming

https://www.peacocktv.com/stream-movies ... -john-wick
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
disarm

Post by disarm »

$iljanus wrote:Also if you're a fan of the John Wick murderverse there's the upcoming

https://www.peacocktv.com/stream-movies ... -john-wick
I know a lot of people are excited about this, and I would love for it to be a good show, but my expectations are pretty low... hopefully I'm wrong...
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

msteelers wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:47 am I don’t have much faith that ESPN will get the DTC transition right. They rely so heavily on cable companies and don’t seem to have any vision for a world where everything is online. It’s like they’ve spent the past 15 years hoping that the switch to streaming won’t have any impact on them.

A price point over $15/month feels insane. ESPN+ at $9.99/month feels right, until you realize it’s not the same content as the actual channel.

I just priced out the LOWEST possible tier Spectrum cable package (and DirecTV) that includes ESPN and its subchannels. The turds that they are, show an initial price that looks reasonable ($79 or something), but after all the fees, a TWENTY FOUR (24) dollar a month "broadcasting fee", required hardware ($10 more a month) and who knows what else, I even lost count, it was already $120 and I wasn't even finished calculating. Fuck them and fuck that model.

I would welcome paying the reasonable few bucks for Peacock (hopefully they will carry any live NFL games that air on NBC?), a few bucks for ABC for the same reason, etc. and even yes, $22 for ESPN if that's what it takes to get my SEC Network. Still WAY WAY below cable costs, and the live TV streamers. They can eat a bag of dicks as well.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
stessier

Post by stessier »

JCC wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:42 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:12 pm I just can't believe ESPN doesn't do their own streaming platform (I guess because they whore themselves out to all the live TV streamers).
This is coming. Numerous news sites (includeing Forbes/WSJ) have reported this. The reports indicate it will start at $22/month. I would bet every year that price will go up. It's just a matter of when...

This may seem good, but long term when FOX, CBS, etc. all decide to do this, it will possibly/probably end up costing customers more, not less, to watch all the sports they want vs. subbing to cable/YouTubeTV and the like.
The promise of steaming was never that you could watch everything you currently watch for less. It was that you could choose to only pay for what you wanted to watch. This may or may not be a better deal than the standard cable package.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles