The Last of Us Part II

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kurth

Re: The Last of Us Part II

Post by Kurth »

So, I was not at all ready for the major shift that happens in this game half way through. Totally caught me off-guard.
Spoiler:
I didn’t really enjoy playing as Ellie and having to carry out her fucked up quest for revenge over Abbie and the others that killed Joel. Her willingness to do anything - no matter how evil or immoral - to get revenge was dark and disturbing and seriously depressing. Still, I was like “Fuck this” when the game switched and Naughty Dog all of a sudden puts the player in Abbie’s shoes. But having played through a couple chapters now as Abbie, I have to admit I think I like Abbie a hell of a lot more than I like Part 2 Ellie. Her storyline is way more multi-dimensional and deep than Ellie’s, and she’s actually got a character arc that seems to be the reverse of Ellie. While Ellie edges closer and closer to evil, Abbie is on the opposite path, discovering that the world isn’t so binary and beginning to act in a way that might get her to a place where she’s even earned redemption for her past acts. I don’t know if Abbie can ever actually get there, but I’m enjoying watching her try more than I ever enjoyed watching Ellie’s downward spiral in the first half.
Sorry to keep necro’ing a dead thread, but I guess this is what happens when you pick up a game so late!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

You're not alone in being late to the party! I finally got around to playing this start to finish a few weeks ago. I tried it a few times when it first came out, but I think I just had trouble being in the mood for the depressing/scary feel of the game. I'm so glad I finally got around to it though. I absolutely loved it! My impressions at the point you're at mirror those in your spoiler tags pretty closely.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Finally finished it last week as well. I'm not a big Console fan, but I enjoy playing games like this. Really dark and engrossing.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I'm now past the point where I thought this story was going to end. The narratives meet up, and I thought that would be the finish. But now they've diverged again. I went from disliking this story to be being on the edge of my seat waiting to see how it plays out. I am really hoping they don't disappoint with the ending! Think I'll be finishing it up tonight.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

My only advice: if you think it's going to end, it's probably not. I remember staying up trying to finish the game because I was certain the end was close. And I kept playing and playing and playing. Finally I realized it was way past my bedtime and called it for the night. I ended up finishing it the next night, but it took another few hours of play time.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:16 pm My only advice: if you think it's going to end, it's probably not. I remember staying up trying to finish the game because I was certain the end was close. And I kept playing and playing and playing. Finally I realized it was way past my bedtime and called it for the night. I ended up finishing it the next night, but it took another few hours of play time.
That was me last night! I’ve been trying hard to make sure I get to bed by midnight lately, but I failed completely last night. Through in the towel at 2:00 AM.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Finished. I really enjoyed the parts of the game at the end, but I found that last fight to be horrible.
Spoiler:
As the player, I so badly wanted Ellie to get in the boat and walk away. When she held the knife to Lev’s throat and forced Abby to fight her, I spent a good chunk of time letting Abby just wail on her and kill Ellie. I so badly did not want to fight Abby at that point, it drove me crazy that I had to as a player controlling Ellie. I was really relieved when Ellie decided to let Abby and Lev go after she won the fight and nearly drowned Abby, but it took her way too long and she went way too far before making that decision.

In the end, if the game is a story of vengeance/forgiveness, I’m not really sure Ellie really got to the forgiveness part. I don’t think she forgave Joel for not letting her be sacrificed for the vaccine. I don’t think she forgave Abby for killing Joel. And I don’t think she forgave herself for all the lives she destroyed and the opportunities she wrecked.

Abby, on the other hand, seemed to really get there in the end. I naturally started the game hating her character, and what she did to Joel was inexcusable. But, in the end, I think she did get to a place where she was a different person and found some measure of redemption.
All in all, that’s got to be one of the darkest games I’ve ever played. I understand they’re turning The Last of Us into a movie. I’ll be interested to see how that turns out.