Ford Mustang Mach-E

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: Ford Mustang Mach-E

Post by Carpet_pissr »

IMO obviously, the Mustang looks much, much better than the Tesla. I’ve never liked (and actively disliked) the lower model Tesla looks. Too round, reminds me of the ‘new’ VW bug, or those bubble shaped station wagons from the 70’s. :P Were those Opals? Can’t remember.

The Tesla SUV is a different matter. Looks amazing, but also twice the price I guess.

Edit: now I’m not sure it’s the Tesla SUV that looks good, OR, I’m thinking of a model from a few years ago. Just looked up current model Tesla suv and it’s bubbly as hell.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

stessier wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:47 am

We chose the Premium with extended range pack (no AWD). We preferred it over the Select because of the extended range and things like the foot activated lift gate. The GT is extremely pricey (in my opinion). To get it with all the features in the Premium version is near $70k compared to $54k. $16k for the added speed and some lighting/exterior styling changes is a tough sell to me.

When you say "pick up", what are your expectations? Right now ordering one is at 28+ weeks.

What drew you to the Mach E? Have you been able to sit in a Model Y? It's worth it to compare because you can get a Y much sooner and they are very similar in terms of cost and performance.
Right - that was my feeling about the GT also. The cost to get comparable options to the Premium is hard to swallow, and it's not like I'm going to track an SUV. I'm planning to put in an order and stand in line like everyone else, but I want to lock down what I want before I do that.

I've ridden in a friend's model Y, and it was fine. I could probably go that route and be ok with it. I have some concerns about parts and repair - said friend's model Y was undrivable for almost two months because something went wrong with one of the engines and he was perpetually waiting for parts. I'm hoping Ford will be better, just because of their sheer size, but I could be wrong. I also like the styling of the Mach-E a lot better.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

gbasden wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:43 pm something went wrong with one of the engines
I'd say finding an engine in a model Y would have been a pretty good indicator of the problem!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

gbasden wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:43 pm

We chose the Premium with extended range pack (no AWD). We preferred it over the Select because of the extended range and things like the foot activated lift gate. The GT is extremely pricey (in my opinion). To get it with all the features in the Premium version is near $70k compared to $54k. $16k for the added speed and some lighting/exterior styling changes is a tough sell to me.

When you say "pick up", what are your expectations? Right now ordering one is at 28+ weeks.

What drew you to the Mach E? Have you been able to sit in a Model Y? It's worth it to compare because you can get a Y much sooner and they are very similar in terms of cost and performance.
Right - that was my feeling about the GT also. The cost to get comparable options to the Premium is hard to swallow, and it's not like I'm going to track an SUV. I'm planning to put in an order and stand in line like everyone else, but I want to lock down what I want before I do that.

I've ridden in a friend's model Y, and it was fine. I could probably go that route and be ok with it. I have some concerns about parts and repair - said friend's model Y was undrivable for almost two months because something went wrong with one of the engines and he was perpetually waiting for parts. I'm hoping Ford will be better, just because of their sheer size, but I could be wrong. I also like the styling of the Mach-E a lot better.
Pretty much exactly how we ended up with our order. Welcome to the club. :) Ordered ours on Aug 4th and still have no idea when it will arrive. My best guess is May. I'm hoping sooner because my wife is going to kill me if she has to drive our current van for that long. :D

One suggestion - if you can find a dealer who accepts X-Plan pricing, it is worth joining the Mustang Club of America. One of their membership benefits is that pricing and the online cost of membership is only $35. It saved me right around $900. I couldn't find a dealer willing to budge off of MSRP, so this was the best savings I could find.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:50 pm
gbasden wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:43 pm something went wrong with one of the engines
I'd say finding an engine in a model Y would have been a pretty good indicator of the problem!
electric motor, rather. It's not my car, so all I know is it sat in his driveway unmoving for quite a while.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

stessier wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:03 pm
Pretty much exactly how we ended up with our order. Welcome to the club. :) Ordered ours on Aug 4th and still have no idea when it will arrive. My best guess is May. I'm hoping sooner because my wife is going to kill me if she has to drive our current van for that long. :D

One suggestion - if you can find a dealer who accepts X-Plan pricing, it is worth joining the Mustang Club of America. One of their membership benefits is that pricing and the online cost of membership is only $35. It saved me right around $900. I couldn't find a dealer willing to budge off of MSRP, so this was the best savings I could find.
I get xplan through work, thankfully - are you saying they would accept that, but not budge on price otherwise?
malchior

Post by malchior »

gbasden wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:41 am I'm strongly thinking of picking up a Mach-E. This would be mostly in-town/commute style driving while keeping our ICE tow vehicle around for pulling the trailer and the occasional time we need 7 passengers or extended cargo.

While I'd love to get a GT, it seems a bit pricier than I want to spend. So I was leaning toward the Premium with AWD and the extended range pack. What would you guys pick? (Yeah, I know, Zaxxon would choose a Tesla... :D ) Any warnings or recommendations?

The MYLR is $57600 base now. Tack on destination and other fees and you're realistically talking $60K. The price gap is shrinking with the heavy demand.
Unless you go for the Model Y Performance at $62990 you are looking at about a 6+ month wait right now. Heck I ordered a MYLR in July and still don't have it. The MYP lead time is about 6-8 weeks at the moment. Timing really isn't part of the math unfortunately.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Y also doesn't (currently) qualify for the federal rebate, while the Mach-E does.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:13 pm The Y also doesn't (currently) qualify for the federal rebate, while the Mach-E does.
Yeah the Mach-E is a lock on that front. It seems likely anyone who orders a Y now would get the new credit.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:16 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:13 pm The Y also doesn't (currently) qualify for the federal rebate, while the Mach-E does.
Yeah the Mach-E is a lock on that front. It seems likely anyone who orders a Y now would get the new credit.
For sure. I'm not sure why the bills haven't had some form of retroactive date, tho. At present the date will be 1/1/22. Gonna make things interesting for late Dec deliveries.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:24 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:16 pm
For sure. I'm not sure why the bills haven't had some form of retroactive date, tho. At present the date will be 1/1/22. Gonna make things interesting for late Dec deliveries.
It's for cost reasons most likely. This situaion is the talk of the town right now at all the spots where Tesla folk kibitz natch. Lots of speculation what will happen to end of year deliveries. My guess is Tesla is going to have to carrot/stick it because they will have all sorts of revenue recognition issues otherwise. But I'll stop mucking up a Mach-E thread. :)
stessier

Post by stessier »

gbasden wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:24 pm I get xplan through work, thankfully - are you saying they would accept that, but not budge on price otherwise?
Correct. I was fortunate in that my dealer was not adding in Additional Dealer Markup (ADM). If you have trouble finding someone who won't do that, you can check this link with a list of dealers who are known not to add ADM. Alternatively, people have had success tweeting a certain Ford executive who either convinces the preferred dealership to drop the ADM or helps find one that will sell the car without it.

I did get them to drop some of the dealer installed extras like the window etching and something else like that (can't remember what - theft protection?). They tried to say every car gets them, but since I was ordering, I made clear it didn't arrive to them that way and I didn't want it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:25 amI did get them to drop some of the dealer installed extras like the window etching and something else like that (can't remember what - theft protection?).
:grund:
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:35 am
stessier wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:25 amI did get them to drop some of the dealer installed extras like the window etching and something else like that (can't remember what - theft protection?).
:grund:
Same feeling. Window etching is a near zero cost item at dealer scale. You can do it individually for about $25. Ugh dealers.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

So, one of my local dealers actually had a used Mach-E on the lot, so my wife and I were able to test drive it. I think I'm going to put an order in this week. I also think I'm also going to reverse myself and get a GT (non-performance). The ride was great and I'm used to the upgraded Brembos on my ICE Mustang. And the base GT only came out to $64 ish with the co-pilot360 package as opposed to $57k for the Premium. I'm going to let myself mull it for a couple of days.
stessier

Post by stessier »

gbasden wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:29 am

So, one of my local dealers actually had a used Mach-E on the lot, so my wife and I were able to test drive it. I think I'm going to put an order in this week. I also think I'm also going to reverse myself and get a GT (non-performance). The ride was great and I'm used to the upgraded Brembos on my ICE Mustang. And the base GT only came out to $64 ish with the co-pilot360 package as opposed to $57k for the Premium. I'm going to let myself mull it for a couple of days.
Cool! Does that include the glass roof? Don't wait too long - seems like every day on this end adds a week on the other. :)
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

It doesn't include the glass roof but I'm not sure I want it. Now that I'm bald on top, I'm not sure I need more sun on my dome.
stessier

Post by stessier »

gbasden wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:49 pm It doesn't include the glass roof but I'm not sure I want it. Now that I'm bald on top, I'm not sure I need more sun on my dome.
The Youtube videos I've seen say that whatever tint they use on it is very effective and they felt no more heat off of it than they do off a normal roof. It was rainy when we did our test drive in August in South Carolina, so I don't have any first-hand experience except to say I thought it looked cool. :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:40 am
gbasden wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:49 pm It doesn't include the glass roof but I'm not sure I want it. Now that I'm bald on top, I'm not sure I need more sun on my dome.
The Youtube videos I've seen say that whatever tint they use on it is very effective and they felt no more heat off of it than they do off a normal roof. It was rainy when we did our test drive in August in South Carolina, so I don't have any first-hand experience except to say I thought it looked cool. :)
I've not been in a Mach-E, but assuming their approach is similar to Tesla's, I wouldn't worry about the heat/cold/UV.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Interesting. Then I guess I need to decide if a glass roof is worth $1500. :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I mean, I'm not saying there's zero heat transfer, but it's pretty small. I don't notice it unless I hold my hand right at the glass to check.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

gbasden wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:33 pm Interesting. Then I guess I need to decide if a glass roof is worth $1500. :)
It's cool (well, not literally), but not $1500 cool.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:04 pm
gbasden wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:33 pm Interesting. Then I guess I need to decide if a glass roof is worth $1500. :)
It's cool (well, not literally), but not $1500 cool.
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback from someone that has one. That was kind of my feeling, but it's good to get a confirmation data point. :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Farley announces Mach-E production increases starting in 2022, aiming to hit 200k/year run rate in 2023. Around 3x the 2021 production rate. If they hit that plus their F-150 Lightning and other goals totaling 600k BEVs/year in 2023, that's pretty impressive.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

What should I be looking at for a home charger? I know Ford offers one, but it seems to have had some issues. Any recommendations?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

gbasden wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:29 am What should I be looking at for a home charger? I know Ford offers one, but it seems to have had some issues. Any recommendations?
It looks like similar to Tesla, the car comes with a mobile cable that will work with a 'normal' 5-15 outlet for trickle charging or a 240V 14-50 outlet for much quicker charging (about 1.5 kW or 7.6 kW). And the separate permanent charging station is 11.5 kW.

The 14-50 outlet is likely to be the most cost-effective good solution as it's a solid balance between charging speed and install cost--nothing extra to buy, just the 240V line and outlet costs from an electrician.

That said, I went the route of having a 48A station installed, for the extra speed and ability to leave the mobile connector in the car just in case.

There are other brands of J1772 chargers out there, like the Juice box which I used to have in my Leaf days.

Bottom line is any J1772 station will work, and your decision points are how much power you think you need to satisfy your driving habits, how much you're willing to spend for a bit of extra convenience, and whether you care at all about extra charging features (eg the ability to track your energy use at the plug, time of use rate programming, etc).
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Thanks!
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:06 pm I've been following the Mach E forums and knew that the 2021 Order book was closing this week and any vehicle not scheduled for production was going to be canceled. It was less clear what would happen after that. Today I got this.
Your 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium is being converted to a 2022 model year. Rest assured, your place in line has not been affected by this update. We've simply reached our production capacity for the 2021 model year, so we're updating your order.

Please note: Your dealer will be in contact to verify your order specifications. If you wish to make any other updates to your order at that time, your dealer will be ready to help.

To thank you for being a valued customer, we're offering you $750* to help cover any price variation for the model-year update.

Because you are a valued customer, providing you with the freedom to move and pursue your dreams is our biggest priority. We appreciate your patience and look forward to producing your Ford Mustang Mach-E.
Well okay then. Granted, the same forums are saying the first deliveries of 2022s won't be until March or April, so the wait is not going to be short, but at least I didn't lose my place in line.
Yeah, about that...

When I got this email, I had contacted my salesman and he said they had the info and everything looked good. I specifically asked him to confirm the details matched what I had ordered and he said his sales manager had done that. And then - radio silence.

The first week of November, I got a text from Sales Guy asking if I had heard any info because he had not. I confirmed I had not and asked if he could check on any updates. No response.

On Black Friday, I got an email blast from him asking if I wanted to buy a Mach E as his manager said they could do go deals. I know this just went out to all his contacts, but I still cheekily replied "about that - any info on my order." Nothing. A week later I followed up again and got no response. So today, since I'm burning vacation to end the year and only working half days, I went down there in person to ask.

After waiting unnoticed for 10 minutes in the showroom, I finally got someone's attention and asked for my Sales Guy. Amazing, even though I was masked both times and the last time he saw me was Aug 7th, he recognized me. I don't know how he did that. Sadly, he had no update. And he could only see out 30 days and there was nothing there. Happily, the guy who brought me over to Sales Guy was the Sales Manager and looked up my order in his system. It was Priority 99 - the lowest possible rating and awaiting confirmation that all the details from the 2021 to 2022 conversion were correct. I wanted to kill someone. After confirming the details, he said the order had been accepted and he was able to move it up to Priority 12 (the highest a dealer can set it). Based on internet sleuthing, assuming no further setback, that means about 6-8 weeks before the production date is scheduled - usually 4 weeks after that. Then 2 months from production to delivery. So we are looking at June...probably.

I was polite and joking the whole time, but all I wanted to do is scream "THIS IS WHY YOUR PROFESSION SHOULD BE CONSIGNED TO THE DUMPSTER OF HISTORY AND SET ABLAZE UNTIL EVEN THE ASHES ARE ASHES!!!!" But I didn't.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Take it easy stess, they are just trying to match their experience up with Tesla's!

I never ordered a car through a dealership so no idea if that is typical but sucks that happened and hey, at least you have progressed a bit.

I have seen quite a few Mach Es driving around here and they don't look half bad. I still wish they hadn't used the Mustang name (and the bastardization of the Mach 1 moniker on top of that) but the car itself doesn't look bad at all.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That royally sucks.
coopasonic wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:40 pmI never ordered a car through a dealership so no idea if that is typical but sucks that happened and hey, at least you have progressed a bit.
I ordered one (a Volvo, back in 2016). It was not a great experience either, though not as bad as stessier's.

On the bright side, stess, by the time you get your car, maybe Ford will have improved the charging situation, or US Superchargers might be open to the Mach-E.
stessier

Post by stessier »

We haven't left our city in nearly 6 years, so the national infrastructure is not much of a concern. :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:14 pm We haven't left our city in nearly 6 years, so the national infrastructure is not much of a concern. :)
Not specifically in your case, but it's a huge concern for the transition. I really hope things pick up outside of the Tesla bubble next year, and that the days of installing 3 plugs at a time are numbered.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Started looking for a charger this weekend figuring if we have two cars, best to have two chargers. The Mach E can take up to 48 amps, but there are really a dearth of options at that power. I found the ChargePoint ($999), the Enel X ($689), and Ford's own entry ($799). I already own a JuiceBox for my Bolt, so the Enel X is appealing (as is the price), but it's out of stock with not indication of when it might come back. So now I'm leaning toward the Ford. Still likely have a few months to plan this out as the car still doesn't have a build date.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I am seeing more and more Mach-Es driving around and I am starting to appreciate the look of them. I am not in the market now, but when I am it might get a closer look from me. For the record I still think the Tesla 3 looks weird as hell.... that all disappears when I am behind the wheel (being crushed into the driver seat as I hold the accelerator to the floor for far longer than is necessary).

Of course having a Tesla charger that only charges Teslas on the wall of the garage will be a consideration in that decision.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:01 pm Started looking for a charger this weekend figuring if we have two cars, best to have two chargers. The Mach E can take up to 48 amps, but there are really a dearth of options at that power. I found the ChargePoint ($999), the Enel X ($689), and Ford's own entry ($799). I already own a JuiceBox for my Bolt, so the Enel X is appealing (as is the price), but it's out of stock with not indication of when it might come back. So now I'm leaning toward the Ford. Still likely have a few months to plan this out as the car still doesn't have a build date.
If you can figure out the availability, I'd go with the Juicebox (Enel X) 48A hardwired. If not, Clipper Creek is another brand with a good reliability record and a 48A hardwire option available.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Wow. I live in Ford country and I see very few Mach Es but Teslas are beginning to show everywhere. I was at Costco in Ann Arbor a couple of weeks ago and I counted six of them in the parking lot as I strode to the entrance. I'm wondering how service works on these cars as there is no service anywhere near Ann Arbor for Tesla. The only Tesla Service Center in the whole state (or on north side of states south) is out past Pine Knob. (Hint: Clarkson is about a 90 minute drive in great traffic from Ann Arbor)

Edit: I lied. It looks like there is one in Grand Rapids and there will be one Toledo soon.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:22 pm Wow. I live in Ford country and I see very few Mach Es but Teslas are beginning to show everywhere. I was at Costco in Ann Arbor a couple of weeks ago and I counted six of them in the parking lot as I strode to the entrance. I'm wondering how service works on these cars as there is no service anywhere near Ann Arbor for Tesla. The only Tesla Service Center in the whole state (or on north side of states south) is out past Pine Knob. (Hint: Clarkson is about a 90 minute drive in great traffic from Ann Arbor)

Edit: I lied. It looks like there is one in Grand Rapids and there will be one Toledo soon.
I was going to say it seems like you don't exactly live in *money* country. There is lots of money where I live, so lots of newer and more expensive cars.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:01 pm Started looking for a charger this weekend figuring if we have two cars, best to have two chargers. The Mach E can take up to 48 amps, but there are really a dearth of options at that power. I found the ChargePoint ($999), the Enel X ($689), and Ford's own entry ($799). I already own a JuiceBox for my Bolt, so the Enel X is appealing (as is the price), but it's out of stock with not indication of when it might come back. So now I'm leaning toward the Ford. Still likely have a few months to plan this out as the car still doesn't have a build date.
Please let me know what you decide on. I still need to do this too, but I have more than a few months left.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Great googly-moogly!

Enlarge Image
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Nice. I had a Mustang in the nineties.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter