RPS Black Friday PC Build (comments)

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Dave Allen

RPS Black Friday PC Build (comments)

Post by Dave Allen »

Rock Paper Shotgun just posted a $571 gaming desktop pc with Newegg components.
I just wanted a little input from you guys before buying for my grandson.
Last edited by Dave Allen on Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Daehawk

Re: RPS Black Friday PC Build (comments)

Post by Daehawk »

Well I can see Im no help.

UK
Im an intel guy so dont know anything about the cpu. Never heard of the ram brand. never used a MSI mobo. Dont know a thing on AMD gpus. SSD is an SSD to me although mine are Samsungs.Cant go wrong with a Corsair PSU.

US
Same as above but I do love Gigabyte mobos.Corsair makes good ram. Used to want a XFX video card.

Good luck.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

It's a decent build for only $570 but the SSD is a bit small nowadays for being the only HD. For another $23 you can get an Intel 660o 1GB NVME M.2 drive, twice the size and speed. An extra $20 for a Radeon 590 would also be a nice boost for the money.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:46 pm It's a decent build for only $570 but the SSD is a bit small nowadays for being the only HD. For another $23 you can get an Intel 660o 1GB NVME M.2 drive, twice the size and speed. An extra $20 for a Radeon 590 would also be a nice boost for the money.
I see what you mean. Really wish I could spend more, but with the tax I'm already hitting my $600 ceiling.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What does he play, or what do you think he's going to be playing on this $600 rig?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:16 pm What does he play, or what do you think he's going to be playing on this $600 rig?
He said Fortnite, GTA and Call of Duty.

raydude

Post by raydude »

The components listed look ok to me. I looked up this review on the case. The only gripe they mentioned was the awkwardness of getting the PSU in but some of the other reviews didn't mention this at all.

This comparison of the 590 vs. Nvidia 1060 shows their performance is roughly comparable. I wouldn't sweat the fact that it costs $15/year more to power the AMD graphics card over the Nvidia card.

In fact, since I already bought a new CPU, motherboard and DDR4 RAM to replace components in my current rig, I've been looking for a cheap way to build a new computer out of the Intel I5-2500 and 16GB of ram that I'm swapping out. I may just get the AMD 590, the Phanteks case, and PSU, stick my old components in there and get another working computer out of it.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

raydude wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:28 pm In fact, since I already bought a new CPU, motherboard and DDR4 RAM to replace components in my current rig, I've been looking for a cheap way to build a new computer out of the Intel I5-2500 and 16GB of ram that I'm swapping out. I may just get the AMD 590, the Phanteks case, and PSU, stick my old components in there and get another working computer out of it.
Looks like a cool upgrade for $255. I've been getting "new computers" like that for 30+ years.

Thanks everyone, for the input. Today I called my grandson's dad to offer help in purchasing the pc and he told me "I got this". What that means is he'll be going out to Walmart for it. :(

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What that means is he'll be going out to Walmart for it.
ooof that poor kid.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
raydude

Post by raydude »

Dave Allen wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:55 am
raydude wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:28 pm In fact, since I already bought a new CPU, motherboard and DDR4 RAM to replace components in my current rig, I've been looking for a cheap way to build a new computer out of the Intel I5-2500 and 16GB of ram that I'm swapping out. I may just get the AMD 590, the Phanteks case, and PSU, stick my old components in there and get another working computer out of it.
Looks like a cool upgrade for $255. I've been getting "new computers" like that for 30+ years.

Thanks everyone, for the input. Today I called my grandson's dad to offer help in purchasing the pc and he told me "I got this". What that means is he'll be going out to Walmart for it. :(
That's too bad. Maybe you could pose it as a "hey grandson, wanna help me build my new computer?" and then offer to swap his Walmart special for yours? :)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my son actually picked out the parts for his desktop, i helped him assemble it - and over a year later, he *still* hasn't hooked it up, much less used it :evil: