R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

TheMix

Re: R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Post by TheMix »

I remember him best from Newhart. Bummer. :(

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

When I was a kid, Bosom Buddies was required viewing. For the time, it was effing hilarious…and both Hanks and Scolari were the reasons why. I wish he’d been as big a star as Hanks. He deserved to be. RIP to a seriously funny guy. :(
Covfefe!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

TheMix wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:27 pm I remember him best from Newhart. Bummer. :(
Ditto. Altho I did like him in his other shows too.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Gunther has died

Jennifer Aniston pays tribute to 'Friends' star James Michael Tyler, Central Perk's Gunther
James Michael Tyler, the actor famous for playing Central Perk manager Gunther on "Friends," has died of prostate cancer. He was 59.

Tyler died "peacefully in his home" on Sunday, according to a statement from his longtime manager Toni Benson. The actor starred in 150 "Friends" episodes as Gunther, who carried an unrequited love for Rachel (Jennifer Aniston).

"The world knew him as Gunther the seventh 'Friend,' but Michael’s loved ones knew him as an actor, musician, cancer-awareness advocate, and loving husband," the statement said.
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

JoAnna Cameron
JoAnna Cameron, the glamorous actress fondly remembered as Isis on the Saturday morning series "The Secrets of Isis," has died at age 70.

Cameron's co-star on the series, Joanna Pang Atkins, announced her passing on Twitter, writing, "Sad to post that JoAnna Cameron 'The Mighty Isis' has flown to heaven. She suffered a stroke and passed away from complications this past Friday. We shared the wonderful lasting experience of making 'The Secrets of Isis'." She shared a CBS image from the series of herself, Atkins and their co-star Brian Cutler.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

missed this! nooooooooo. gotta be why he resurrected CV for one more album, last year.

(never got a chance to see RHK solo - never came to the US for tours)

CV's _The Arm of the Lord_ was one of my very first records.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:21 pm JoAnna Cameron
JoAnna Cameron, the glamorous actress fondly remembered as Isis on the Saturday morning series "The Secrets of Isis," has died at age 70.

Cameron's co-star on the series, Joanna Pang Atkins, announced her passing on Twitter, writing, "Sad to post that JoAnna Cameron 'The Mighty Isis' has flown to heaven. She suffered a stroke and passed away from complications this past Friday. We shared the wonderful lasting experience of making 'The Secrets of Isis'." She shared a CBS image from the series of herself, Atkins and their co-star Brian Cutler.
Man I was in love with her back during that series. RIP
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was a little kid but had a big crush on her. Died the same way my wife did. RIP. 70. Time flies.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Gloria Harris, ex-wife of Bill Harris (Dubious Quality)
Gloria was returning Sunday night from a trip with two of her friends On October 10 when they were all involved in a car-pedestrian accident. Her friends were both injured, but will fully recover. Gloria's injuries were much more severe, and she never regained consciousness. She passed away last Monday.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:10 pm Gloria Harris, ex-wife of Bill Harris (Dubious Quality)
Gloria was returning Sunday night from a trip with two of her friends On October 10 when they were all involved in a car-pedestrian accident. Her friends were both injured, but will fully recover. Gloria's injuries were much more severe, and she never regained consciousness. She passed away last Monday.
That's horrible. I've been reading Bill ever since he left GG and remember when Eli's version number started with a 0. I hope they are able to find a way through this sudden loss.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

stessier wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:26 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:10 pm Gloria Harris, ex-wife of Bill Harris (Dubious Quality)
That's horrible. I've been reading Bill ever since he left GG and remember when Eli's version number started with a 0. I hope they are able to find a way through this sudden loss.
Me too. I can't even imagine. That's terrible. Plus, Eli is in England right now. Or was. I hope he was able to come home for what little closure was available.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TheMix wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:38 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:26 pm
Me too. I can't even imagine. That's terrible. Plus, Eli is in England right now. Or was. I hope he was able to come home for what little closure was available.
Eli 18. 3 came home last Sunday and flew back to Oxford today. We have done everything possible to be as healthy as possible, including talking to my therapist at length about grief. Eli is a healthy, strong man, and he will emerge from this a better person. We both know this, even as we go through unimaginable pain.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I just read that on his blog. I can't imagine the pain they must be going through. So sad. :cry:
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Even though I didn't really know her, this one feels much more personal than most. :(
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Posting this here as he directed The Dick Cavett show and Im a big Dick Cavett fan especially of the show Remember When.

Arthur Forrest, Director on ‘Whose Line Is It Anyway?’ and ‘The Dick Cavett Show,’ Dies at 95

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah man, Dean Stockwell has died at 85. Now I need to watch Lynch’s Dune again in honor of the man. He was such a prevalent presence in film and tv for decades.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ziggy will be distressed. :(
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Always liked him. Thought he was kinda unique as an actor. RIP.

And that reporter called him Rockwell. Shameful.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

What a memorable actor. That makes me sad.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Sudy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:17 pm What a memorable actor. That makes me sad.
This. :(

Black Lives Matter

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:53 am Ah man,
Oh boy

:(
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka, founder of Somethingawful.com, dead at 45. The guy was an absolutely irredeemable piece of shit (and seemed to get worse as he got older, somehow), but the impact his site had on internet culture - for both good and bad - is undeniable.

I haven't visited SA for over a decade now, but some of the early stuff (mostly Cliff Yablonski and Jeff K) was hilarious.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

From Triggercut twitter - RIP Dave Frishberg - a huge part of my childhood just faded...
Though his career spanned a variety of styles and mature lyrics, he is perhaps best known for his regular contributions to ABC's long-running Saturday morning cartoon Schoolhouse Rock!, for which he penned informational earworms like his first-ever piece for the program in the show's third season: "I'm Just a Bill," which explained America's legislative process with accompanying vocals by trumpeter Jack Sheldon.
He also wrote VERB. My bad - see below.
Last edited by Pyperkub on Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:30 pm From Triggercut twitter - RIP Dave Frishberg - a huge part of my childhood just faded...
Though his career spanned a variety of styles and mature lyrics, he is perhaps best known for his regular contributions to ABC's long-running Saturday morning cartoon Schoolhouse Rock!, for which he penned informational earworms like his first-ever piece for the program in the show's third season: "I'm Just a Bill," which explained America's legislative process with accompanying vocals by trumpeter Jack Sheldon.
He also wrote VERB.
:think:
I don't think that's true. I believe that was written by Bob Dorough?

The wiki shows him only being the writer of "I'm Just a Bill".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schoolhouse_Rock!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Unagi wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:44 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:30 pm From Triggercut twitter - RIP Dave Frishberg - a huge part of my childhood just faded...
He also wrote VERB.
:think:
I don't think that's true. I believe that was written by Bob Dorough?

The wiki shows him only being the writer of "I'm Just a Bill".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schoolhouse_Rock!
You're right, my reading comprehension fail!
Verb: That's What's Happening: First debuted in 1974. Was written by Bob Dorough and sung by Zachary Sanders. A song was proposed by Dave Frishberg, but denied. It teaches about verbs. This song was voted the 24th best song on the 30th anniversary edition.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mick Rock, photographer who captured David Bowie and Queen, dies at 72
Mick Rock, the photographer who "shot the 70s" and captured iconic images of artists including David Bowie, Queen, Blondie and Iggy and the Stooges, has died, according to a statement on his verified Instagram account on Friday.
"Those who had the pleasure of existing in his orbit, know that Mick was always so much more than 'The Man Who Shot The 70s.' He was a photographic poet — a true force of nature who spent his days doing exactly what he loved, always in his own delightfully outrageous way," the statement read.
"The stars seemed to effortlessly align for Mick when he was behind the camera; feeding off of the unique charisma of his subjects electrified and energized him. His intent always intense. His focus always total.
Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Peter Aykroyd
1955-2021
SNL '79-'80

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I don't remember him, but he was Dan's brother. Dan Aykroyd is a legend here in Chicago.
Black Lives Matter
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:10 pm Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka, founder of Somethingawful.com, dead at 45. The guy was an absolutely irredeemable piece of shit (and seemed to get worse as he got older, somehow), but the impact his site had on internet culture - for both good and bad - is undeniable.

I haven't visited SA for over a decade now, but some of the early stuff (mostly Cliff Yablonski and Jeff K) was hilarious.
I didn't know much about him, but I used to visit SA often for Photoshop Friday, the Ask/Tell threads, the Let's Play threads, and the "What should I know before I play this game for the first time" thread which is still being curated here.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I guess I enjoyed reposts here and in other social media places, but I can't say I ever clicked through to that site. I might have happened, I just don't remember doing so.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

The NYT has just reported the death of Stephen Sondheim. He is easily the greatest composer/lyricist of Broadway's most interesting modern musicals:

West Side Story
Sunday in the Park with George
Sweeney Todd
Assassins
A Little Night Music
Into the Woods
Company
Merrily We Roll Along

And he collaborated with scores of other artists to make modern American theater what it is.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Oh wow. He was to Broadway what John Williams is to epic movies. In the case of Sondheim, the composer is often the most important part of the cast.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

My wife's parents were *heavy* NYC theater-goers from the 1960s to the 2010s. Sondheim's passing hits my MIL and my wife pretty hard.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mr Goxx, the cryptocurrency-trading hamster, dies

Enlarge Image
The cryptocurrency-trading hamster Mr Goxx has died.

The rodent, who shot to internet fame for his ability to often outperform human investors using a specially built trading cage, died on Tuesday.

The furry financier's official Twitter account announced the hamster's death to his 18,000 followers on social media.

"You proved to us, that the internet doesn't necessarily have to be a toxic wasteland," his owners told the BBC.

"We are absolutely overwhelmed with the uncountable and touching condolences which we've received across all channels.

What we personally learned from this project has little to do with crypto."
Mr Goxx's trading office, attached to his regular cage, was watched by thousands on a Twitch livestream. He would famously make decisions by running on his "intention wheel" to select which cryptocurrency he'd like to trade and subsequently entering either a buy or sell tunnel on his 'office floor'.

Recent calculations by crypto-news site Protos suggested the hamster's latest financial results beat investing supremo Warren Buffet's company, Berkshire Hathaway.

On occasion, Mr Goxx even came out slightly ahead of Bitcoin, the biggest of the crypto-currencies.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Holman wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:20 pm The NYT has just reported the death of Stephen Sondheim. He is easily the greatest composer/lyricist of Broadway's most interesting modern musicals:

*snip*

And he collaborated with scores of other artists to make modern American theater what it is.
Ill post this link to the story on CNN. It has a nice video about him there and I dont know how to get just a link to the video.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/26/entertai ... index.html
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

RIP

ioneering Actor David Gulpilil Has Died
Iconic First Nations actor, dancer, singer and painter David Gulpilil Ridjimiraril Dalaithngu has died at the age of 68 following a four-year battle with lung cancer. South Australian Premier Steven Marshall confirmed the news in a statement late on Monday night.Born to the Mandhalpingu clan of the Yolngu people and raised in the traditional ways in Arnhem Land in Australia’s Northern Territory, his skill as an accomplished hunter, tracker and ceremonial dancer brought him to the attention of British filmmaker Nicolas Roeg.Roeg cast the then-teenage Gulpilil in the lead of his highly acclaimed 1971 feature “Walkabout,” turning him into an international celebrity overnight.In the 1980s he was the smiling mate of Paul Hogan’s title character in “Crocodile Dundee” and its first sequel, starred alongside an actual giant crocodile in “Dark Age,” and appeared in Philip Kaufman’s celebrated adaptation of Tom Wolfe’s “The Right Stuff”. He was also appointed a Member of the Order of Australia in 1987.
Enlarge Image
Holman

Post by Holman »

RIP Bob Dole, 98 years old. Longtime senator and 1996 GOP presidential nominee.

By all accounts a decent person and a WW2 hero. His party left his sort behind a long time ago.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

His Native American name was "Carries Pencil in Hand."
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

RIP