R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Post by Jeff V »

I always liked his stuff, I was introduced to him through some collaborative stuff he did with Jon Anderson in the mid-70's. While fact-checking that statement, I discovered at the time he was being considered a replacement for Rick Wakeman (who was recently in town in a highly-acclaimed tour) but the job ultimately went to Patrick Moraz. In the early 80's, I saw Moraz and Bill Bruford (a former drummer for Yes when Alan White wasn't around) in quite an entertaining show, Music for Piano and Drums.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fred Carter
Carter—an African American artist who drew gospel tracts, evangelical comic books, and Black Sunday school curricula—died on May 9 at the age of 83.

He was the close collaborator of Jack Chick, pioneer of the popular evangelistic cartoons known as Chick Tracts. According to Christian Comics International, more than half of Chick Tracts were drawn by Carter.

Carter worked with Chick for eight years before Chick acknowledged the partnership, despite the obvious, dramatic difference between the men’s two art styles. Some suspected Chick was trying to hide Carter’s contributions, perhaps out of a desire to claim all the credit or out of fear the presence of a Black man would spark controversy.

Chick, for his part, said the decision was Carter’s.

“Fred is rather shy and declines to put his name on the art,” he said.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Colin Cantwell, Designer of the X-Wing and More, Passes Away
Even without his contributions to Star Wars, Colin Cantwell lived an amazing life. The supremely talented artist, whose career spanned from NASA, to iconic Star Wars designs, to his own sci-fi novels, passed away at home this weekend. He was 90.

Cantwell began working with George Lucas in November 1974 — likely only days ahead of concept artist Ralph McQuarrie — on what would become Star Wars: A New Hope (1977). He was, quite possibly, the first employee hired on the Star Wars project. Coming from a varied design and space background, Cantwell was tasked with bringing Lucas’ ideas for various ships to life. His staggering number of designs and prototype models essentially formed the visual Star Wars starship lexicon, and include the X-wing, Y-wing (the first approved design, according to The Making of Star Wars), TIE fighter, Star Destroyer, Death Star, landspeeder, sandcrawler, and blockade runner (a design originally intended for the Millennium Falcon). Notably, Cantwell’s T-16 skyhopper model — which was intended for a cut racing sequence on Tatooine not unlike the podrace sequence from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace — actually ended up in A New Hope as the model Luke picks up and plays with while in his garage. While Cantwell didn’t design the final saucer-shaped Millennium Falcon, his conical cockpit from the original blockade runner model did survive the transition to the final design.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Andrew "Fletch" Fletcher of Depeche Mode
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

hitbyambulance wrote:Andrew "Fletch" Fletcher of Depeche Mode
This one really hurts me. When I was a teenager Depeche Mode was the band that I felt was really secretly mine. I grew up in a tiny Texas town and always felt different than most of the kids. Depeche Mode was my favorite band from like 85-94ish and was my all time favorite for a long time. They were my band when I was finding myself as a person and will always be super important to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

they now need to get Alan back in the band and DM will be worth paying attention to again (they were also my all-time favorite band until his departure in '95)

i really don't think Martin is going to have interest in continuing with the band without Andy, tho
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I accidentally went to a show of theirs in the fall of 1993 and was really impressed. I can't claim to be a hardcore fan, but that show is one I'll always remember. RIP
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ve seen Depeche Mode way more than I ever intended. Don’t get me wrong, I like them a lot. It just seemed during the 80s/90s, every time I wanted to see a band, they were either opening for Depeche Mode or part of a lineup that included Depeche Mode.

However, I respect and will miss a talented artist of that level.

Also

Megathreads….ugh.
He won. Period.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Norman Mineta, the first Asian American secretary of Transportation (2001 to 2006) and a longtime California lawmaker, died earlier this month at the age of 90.
Mineta, a first-generation Japanese American, spent several years of his childhood in the Heart Mountain incarceration camp near Cody, Wyo., during World War II.

Mineta met former Sen. Alan K. Simpson, R-Wyo., when Simpson’s scout troop visited the camp and the pair shared a pup tent.

Decades later in Congress and after, the California Democrat and the Wyoming Republican worked together to elevate the issue of the incarceration of people of Japanese origin.

The pair worked together for the passage of the 1988 Civil Liberties Act, which granted $20,000 and a formal apology for those interned during World War II.

Roughly two-thirds of the incarcerated people across all ten sites were American citizens.

Following his graduation from the University of California, Berkeley, in 1953, Mineta served three years as an Army intelligence officer during the Korean War.

He went on to become a city councilman, vice mayor and eventually mayor of San Jose.

He was elected to Congress in 1975, and served for 20 years, retiring as chairman of what was then the Committee on Public Works and Transportation.

As secretary of Transportation, Mineta ordered the grounding of all U.S. flights after terrorists attacked the Pentagon and the World Trade Center in 2001. He later helped oversee the creation of the Transportation Security Administration.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:26 am Just got a call that my uncle passed away around 5:00 this morning. That makes two aunts, two uncles, and two cousins that have all died in the past 6 months. Granted, all the aunts and uncles were in their 90's, but that still doesn't make it easier. I've got another uncle who just went into hospice care this week, so I suspect that we'll likely be adding him to the list soon as well.

If the grim reaper could maybe just give our family a pass for the next couple weeks, that'd be great. :(
Well, we got a month's reprieve.

My uncle that went into hospice in April just passed this morning. It looks like my aunt is likely to follow him very soon as well. My cousin said she has spiraled downhill over the past couple weeks to the point where she is unable to get out of bed. Doctors are all saying she could go at any time.

I feel horrible for them. If/when my aunt passes, their family will have gone from 7 (aunt, uncle, 5 cousins) down to 3 in a mere six months. One cousin from COVID, one cousin from diabetes/mental illness (a long, horrible story), and my aunt and uncle from natural old age. I can't even imagine.

Steeling myself for yet another funeral. I hate this. :(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Man, that's rough. I'm sorry to hear that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Alan White, Yes and Plastic Ono Band drummer, dead at 72

Enlarge Image
Alan White, the British drummer who played in the progressive rock band Yes and featured on John Lennon's "Imagine," has died at the age of 72.
The musician, born in County Durham, England, died in the United States on Thursday after a brief illness, his family said in a statement shared on his Facebook page.
Yes said in a statement shared on Twitter that they were "shocked and stunned" by news of White's death, revealing that he had been looking forward to a forthcoming UK tour and celebrating his 50th anniversary with the band, which he joined in 1972.

White's bandmates said they will dedicate their "Close to the Edge" UK tour in June to their "much-loved drummer."
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I saw Yes a few years ago, White was there mostly for a cameo, I think they wheeled him out on a gurney. He did not look good, and couldn't do more than keep a beat on a snare drum. Another drummer handled the heavy lifting.

They announced this week that White would not join them on the upcoming 50th anniversary Close to the Edge tour. This news comes as no surprise.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

George Shapiro
George Shapiro, the deeply respected talent manager, producer and co-founder of Shapiro/West & Associates, died Thursday evening of natural causes at his home in Beverly Hills. He was 91.

Along with his partner and childhood friend Howard West, Shapiro was personal manager to comedy greats Jerry Seinfeld, Andy Kaufman and Carl Reiner, among others. He and West would go on to executive produce Seinfeld, one of the top comedy series of all time.
After graduating from NYU and a stint in the Army, Shapiro got an interview for a job in the mailroom at William Morris in New York through his uncle, Carl Reiner.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:09 am Steeling myself for yet another funeral. I hate this. :(
Aunt passed this morning. Guess we’re doing a double funeral this week. 😞
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Geez man your family isn't catching a break. Sorry
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, SP. :(
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

:( Sorry to hear that.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Wow, that is hard. I’m so sorry, SP.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Ick! Very sorry for your loss.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So sorry to hear that Skinypuppy. I can kind of relate from my experience in Vietnam.
Tough times.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:59 am
Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:09 am Steeling myself for yet another funeral. I hate this. :(
Aunt passed this morning. Guess we’re doing a double funeral this week. 😞
Oh wow, so sorry to hear that. I'm very close to my aunts, uncles and cousins; I can't imagine losing 2 at once, much less that many relatives over the past months. :(
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I know not everyone will care about this as it's the Dallas Cowboys, but Marion "The Barbarian" Barber died yesterday. Wellness check on his apartment because someone complained about a water leak. He was only 38. Friggin' tragic. Would not surprise me to be CTE-related, as that dude ran with reckless abandon. I've never seen anyone SEEK OUT punishment like he did. He initiated contact like the opponent stole their girlfriend.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hyena wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:09 pm I know not everyone will care about this as it's the Dallas Cowboys, but Marion "The Barbarian" Barber died yesterday. Wellness check on his apartment because someone complained about a water leak. He was only 38. Friggin' tragic. Would not surprise me to be CTE-related, as that dude ran with reckless abandon. I've never seen anyone SEEK OUT punishment like he did. He initiated contact like the opponent stole their girlfriend.
From him or just in general?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Hyena wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:09 pm I know not everyone will care about this as it's the Dallas Cowboys, but Marion "The Barbarian" Barber died yesterday. Wellness check on his apartment because someone complained about a water leak. He was only 38. Friggin' tragic. Would not surprise me to be CTE-related, as that dude ran with reckless abandon. I've never seen anyone SEEK OUT punishment like he did. He initiated contact like the opponent stole their girlfriend.
I'll always remember him for this.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:16 pm
Hyena wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:09 pm I know not everyone will care about this as it's the Dallas Cowboys, but Marion "The Barbarian" Barber died yesterday. Wellness check on his apartment because someone complained about a water leak. He was only 38. Friggin' tragic. Would not surprise me to be CTE-related, as that dude ran with reckless abandon. I've never seen anyone SEEK OUT punishment like he did. He initiated contact like the opponent stole his girlfriend.
From him or just in general?
Dangit! Hate it when a typo ruins a punchline. Fixed.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Awww the original Gerber baby has passed on. Farewell old child. Her face is what I think of when I hear 'Gerber".

Original Gerber Baby Ann Turner Cook, the familiar face on thousands of baby products, dies at 95
"Many years before becoming an extraordinary mother, teacher and writer, her smile and expressive curiosity captured hearts everywhere and will continue to live on as a symbol for all babies," Gerber said in a statement posted online.
Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They made good music that I grew up listening to.

Jim Seals of Seals and Crofts, Duo That Ruled ’70s Soft-Rock With Hits Like ‘Summer Breeze,’ Dies at 80

In the hat........
Enlarge Image
Jim Seals, who as part of the duo Seals and Crofts crafted memorably wistful 1970s hits like “Summer Breeze” and “Diamond Girl,” died Monday at age 80. No cause of death was immediately given.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

He had a good run. I think I read years ago that he had retired to Costa Rica.

Those two made some damn good music. I will go listen to Hummingbird now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hate that people still feel they are better off dead than suffer chronic pain. The Gov should stop being such dicks when it comes to pain and medicines to help it. Not the least of which is legalize marijuana all over. geez. Human beings need relief from pain like this.

RIP Julee
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Gwen Casten
U.S. Rep. Sean Casten said his 17-year-old daughter's death on Monday "was peaceful" as they expressed gratitude for the outpouring of support they have received in the wake of the tragedy.
"On Sunday night, we had dinner as a family and then she went out with some friends for a few hours. When she got home, she said goodnight to Kara and I, texted a friend to make sure she got home OK, and didn’t wake up on Monday morning," the statement said.

"The only thing we know about her death is that it was peaceful," it said. "And the only lesson we can take from that is to savor the moments you have with your loved ones. We want purpose. We want to believe in a brighter tomorrow. But the only thing we can control is our present.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

That's just so unthinkable. Horrible. :(
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

She just went to sleep and died?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think the takeaway here is that the family doesn't want to talk about it and we should respect their wishes.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:36 pm I think the takeaway here is that the family doesn't want to talk about it and we should respect their wishes.
Exactly. Even where a public official is concerned we don't have some right to know everything.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Tony "Goose" Siragusa, former Baltimore Raven lineman and broadcaster, dead at 55. :(

I always liked him as a sideline reporter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember that name from the 90s. I can hear the voice in my head still somehow. RIP man. 55 is way way way too soon and only 2 years past me. wtf. Big guy I take it.

EDIT: To ad... He was a really nice guy. Man I do remember him from the 1990s now..he was all over the place.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:31 pm Tony "Goose" Siragusa, former Baltimore Raven lineman and broadcaster, dead at 55. :(

I always liked him as a sideline reporter.
And Jaylon Ferguson, a 4-year Ravens outside linebacker, dead at 26. Very sad.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »