R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

She was one of my crushes in her day. RIP
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

That's one more Hollywood sex symbol that I have somehow never seen on the screen. Same for Marilyn Monroe.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Another legend gone-

https://consequence.net/2023/01/david-c ... ead-at-81/

Saw him once with CSNY at a Bridge School concert at Shoreline.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Wonder if he still had his original teeth. He was with couple of major groups. RIP
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I saw them a few times, including Altamont(!). Crosby had a great voice. He once said he was only in it for the nookie. RIP.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Liked a lot of his work. He seemed to be perpetually old to me. He was old looking when I was a teenager. ALso because of that Ive thought him dead many times over the years and confused him with The Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia.

RIP. Life isn't fair. You're alive. You're you. Then one day gone. Nobody even asks if you want to go.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah Crosby stings a bit. I'm a huge fan of CSN&Y and really all of the Laurel Canyon artists that came out of that time period. A true legend. RIP.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Coincidentally, my car stereo served up CSNY's "Woodstock" on the ride home tonight. This is from the MP3 collection on my phone, not streaming, so it was a random pick.

David Crosby is not someone you'd pick to reach 81. But then, Iggy Pop is pushing 76 and he's another rocker you wouldn't have expected to live past 40.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:33 pm Liked a lot of his work. He seemed to be perpetually old to me. He was old looking when I was a teenager. ALso because of that Ive thought him dead many times over the years and confused him with The Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia.

RIP. Life isn't fair. You're alive. You're you. Then one day gone. Nobody even asks if you want to go.
I saw CSNY with a Jerry Garcia side project as the opening band. Tremendous show.

WXRT was mourning the way they do, with a song every music block. I remember I played their Greatest Hits LP to death...but for some reason never replaced it when I upgraded everything to CD.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The other memorable thing about that concert was the two people I was with. One was a store manager, and the other was a waitress (coworker of mine) attached to the store. They both happened to have the same last name. I probably mentioned her before in a rather infamous incident at a Beach Boys concert but I digress. Chuck, the manager, elected to tell Paula, the waitress, he was being transferred out of state -- before the concert started. So she was sitting between us moping while Chuck and I were passing joints and a flask of booze over her head.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Probably a footnote for most people, but 11 months after the death of Mark Lanegan, the bassist for the Screaming Trees, Van Conner died at the age of 55.
The Trees’ concerts sometimes featured fighting between the various band members onstage, which in a way added to the excitement of their shows. They clashed offstage as well, particularly as Lanegan descended into drug addiction, and at one point pawned his bandmates’ instruments, temporarily derailing the group’s success. Though Lanegan’s 2020 memoir threw barbs at his bandmates, he privately apologized to the Conners after its release and before his death.

And in 1996, Lanegan told me that Van was the band’s key man. “Van is the Screaming Trees,” Lanegan said. “He is the heart and soul of the band.”

I interviewed Van that year as well, and he said he still hadn’t seen the film “Singles,” where he had a cameo. When I asked if he’d had a career highlight so far, he cited watching President Bill Clinton give an inauguration speech on television, with the Screaming Trees’ “Nearly Lost You” playing in the background.

“It was just bizarre,” Van said. “Growing up in Ellensburg, in a video store, I never would have imagined anything like that in my life.”
I don't think I actually heard this until the summer or Fall of 1992, but man...what a time to be alive. RIP my dude.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:33 pm The Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia.
So as not to be confused with some other Jerry Garcia ??
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:56 am
Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:33 pm The Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia.
So as not to be confused with some other Jerry Garcia ??
Like Cherry Garcia.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Yukihiro Takahashi (among many other projects, ex-drummer of Yellow Magic Orchestra)

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/20 ... mo-legacy/
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lin Brehmer, 68. Cancer.

Anyone in the Chicago music scene, or a fan of WXRT, will feel this one. When I started driving Uber, I exclusively listened to WXRT, a radio station that has a diverse mx of new and old music. Brehmer has been with the station over 20 years (the station itself celebrated it's 50th anniversary last year), fancied himself as "your best friend in the world" and since he started fighting cancer, would frequently add, "it's good to be alive" and "take nothing for granted" to his daily routine.

I'm gonna miss the hell out of him. His replacement, Anna Lisa from Boston, is excellent though.
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:31 pm Lin Brehmer, 68. Cancer.

Anyone in the Chicago music scene, or a fan of WXRT, will feel this one. When I started driving Uber, I exclusively listened to WXRT, a radio station that has a diverse mx of new and old music. Brehmer has been with the station over 20 years (the station itself celebrated it's 50th anniversary last year), fancied himself as "your best friend in the world" and since he started fighting cancer, would frequently add, "it's good to be alive" and "take nothing for granted" to his daily routine.

I'm gonna miss the hell out of him. His replacement, Anna Lisa from Boston, is excellent though.
Yeah....definitely a local icon.
Had the chance to meet him at a couple of concerts he was hosting and he was a genuinely nice guy.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Lin hits hard for a lot of us locally.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The day-long eulogy on XRT today was really well done. I really wish they would play such diverse music all of the time -- even though they did manage to sneak in Tainted Love, a song they play every single day (among other old songs played constantly). Today they played Mavis Staples cover of Slippery People -- they basically play the Talking Heads Greatest Hits album throughout the course of every day as it is, this was fantastic. They love Wet Leg (as do I), but how about something other than Angelica -- say, their cover of Psycho Killer?
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Ginny Redington Dawes wrote a whole lot of product jingles that you probably know. She made an interesting career for herself and her husband/co-writer.
Ginny Redington Dawes, a songwriter whose compositions included memorable advertising jingles like the chipper McDonald’s declaration “You, You’re the One” and Coca-Cola’s boast that “Coke Is It,” died on Dec. 31 in Manhattan. She was 77.

Her companion and only immediate survivor, James McCullar, said the cause was complications of hepatic cirrhosis.

Ms. Dawes never became well known herself, but she helped maintain or boost the popularity of the products she promoted. And she insinuated infectious tunes into the nation’s repertoire that Americans whistled and hummed as much as the songs played on Top 40 radio.

She hooked listeners with melodically and rhythmically catchy jingles that accompanied slogans for everything from Tide detergent to Kit Kat candy bars, to Johnson’s baby powder and to Hartz’s tick and flea-fighting pet collars.

“When I’ve got a really great lyric,” she told Charles Osgood of CBS in a 1977 television interview, “I put a very simple melody to it.”
This one was her magnum opus.

(disclaimer: I might receive a consideration from the Coca-Cola company every time you watch that clip. I probably won't, but who knows?)
RM2

Post by RM2 »

Tom Verlaine, Founder and Frontman of Iconic NYC Band Television, Dies at 73

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tom ... 58264.html
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Spinning Marquee Moon today. What a bunch of geniuses.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sudy wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:13 am io9 is reporting, via @StarTrek on Twitter:
Annie Wersching (Runaways, The Vampire Diaries) has been cast as the Borg Queen in the second season of Picard, taking over the role from Alice Krige (First Contact, Voyager season seven) and Susanna Thompson (Voyager seasons five and six).
Deadline
Actress Annie Wersching, best known for her roles in the television shows 24, Bosch and Timeless, has died of cancer. Wersching was 45, her publicist confirmed.

She continued to shoot even after her 2020 diagnosis, with prominent roles in Star Trek: Picard as the Borg queen in Season 2, and The Rookie. She also was in the video game version of HBO’s new drama, The Last of Us.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That seems fast. And young. I only know her from clips of Picard but she hid her health problems very well. Had no clue.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Lisa Loring, Wednesday in Original ‘Addams Family’ Series, Dies at 64
Lisa Loring, who played the young Wednesday Addams on “The Addams Family” from 1964 to 1966 and also appeared in “As the World Turns,” died Saturday of a stroke, her daughter Vanessa Foumberg confirmed. She was 64.

“She went peacefully with both her daughters holding her hands,” Foumberg said.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Aww I loved the Original AF. Stroke at 64....just a year older than my wife and her stroke. When I lost my wife I thought it was nuts to have a stroke at 63 and to die of it. Then started reading and see just how common it is. RIP to Lisa.

Think Ill start a baby aspirin a day at age 60....used to take then then quit.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Apparently she had hypertension. If you're going to be inspired, the smart move is to stay on your blood pressure medication.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:04 pm
Sudy wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:13 am io9 is reporting, via @StarTrek on Twitter:
Annie Wersching (Runaways, The Vampire Diaries) has been cast as the Borg Queen in the second season of Picard, taking over the role from Alice Krige (First Contact, Voyager season seven) and Susanna Thompson (Voyager seasons five and six).
Deadline
Actress Annie Wersching, best known for her roles in the television shows 24, Bosch and Timeless, has died of cancer. Wersching was 45, her publicist confirmed.

She continued to shoot even after her 2020 diagnosis, with prominent roles in Star Trek: Picard as the Borg queen in Season 2, and The Rookie. She also was in the video game version of HBO’s new drama, The Last of Us.
Man, that's awful. She played a GREAT psychopath on The Rookie. What a beautiful lady, gone WAY too soon.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:11 pm Aww I loved the Original AF. Stroke at 64....just a year older than my wife and her stroke. When I lost my wife I thought it was nuts to have a stroke at 63 and to die of it. Then started reading and see just how common it is. RIP to Lisa.

Check with a doctor first. Some say it's more harmful than helpful unless you really need to do it. (And I say this as someone who takes baby aspirin per doctor's recommendation.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:00 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:11 pm Aww I loved the Original AF. Stroke at 64....just a year older than my wife and her stroke. When I lost my wife I thought it was nuts to have a stroke at 63 and to die of it. Then started reading and see just how common it is. RIP to Lisa.

Check with a doctor first. Some say it's more harmful than helpful unless you really need to do it. (And I say this as someone who takes baby aspirin per doctor's recommendation.)
I take an adult aspirin every day until they tell me otherwise.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:04 pm I take an adult aspirin every day until they tell me otherwise.
Depending on who they is, they've been telling you otherwise for a while.

If they is the Mayo Clinic, for example: Daily aspirin therapy: Understand the benefits and risks
tl;dr: Ask your doctor.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:16 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:04 pm I take an adult aspirin every day until they tell me otherwise.
Depending on who they is, they've been telling you otherwise for a while.

If they is the Mayo Clinic, for example: Daily aspirin therapy: Understand the benefits and risks
tl;dr: Ask your doctor.
They were my cardiologist and is now my PCP as I haven't seen my cardiologist in about five years.

From your link
Secondary prevention. This means you've already had a heart attack or stroke, or you have known heart or blood vessel (vascular) disease. You're taking a daily aspirin to prevent heart attacks or strokes. The benefit of daily aspirin therapy in this situation is well established.
If you've had a heart attack or a stent placed in one or more of your heart arteries, it's important to keep taking daily aspirin and any blood-thinning medications exactly as directed by your health care provider. Stopping daily aspirin therapy can have a rebound effect that may trigger a blood clot and lead to a heart attack.
That's me. I believe it's my blood thinner along with two prescription meds (Atrovastatin and Losartin) and the medication built into my stent (Xiexnce)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Then in your shoes, I'd carry on carrying on until that they says otherwise too.

WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Wow.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well damn. Both gone now. Had fun watching them in the 70s and 80s. RIP
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I dimly remember Laverne & Shirley -- I didn't watch it regularly, but I saw it a few times -- but I do remember the characters. What really blindsided me is that Michael McKean was Lenny.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:33 pm I dimly remember Laverne & Shirley -- I didn't watch it regularly, but I saw it a few times -- but I do remember the characters. What really blindsided me is that Michael McKean was Lenny.
I'm sure I watched them all. Most of the cast is dead now...is Lenny still alive? He was demoted to daytime TV after that show ended.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Squiggy is the one with MS. He hasn't done much since leaving the show.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949