R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rumpy

Re: R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Post by Rumpy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:11 pm Greg Bear
Greg Bear, the author that brought us the Halo Forerunner Saga of books, has passed away at the age of 71. The news was confirmed by his family late last night, who revealed that he suffered a stroke earlier this month.
Wow, I've loved a lot of his novels. Didn't realize he was that old. I think my favourites were Darwin's Radio and its sequel.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

"Power Rangers" star and MMA fighter Jason David Frank dies at 49.
Frank, born on September 4, 1973, was best known as Tommy Oliver in the long-running Power Rangers franchise. The series was his acting debut, and he would serve as the Green (and later White) Ranger for the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers series. Though he was only meant to appear for 14 episodes, he became so popular that he would continue to play Tommy in other Power Rangers seasons, Power Rangers Zeo, Turbo (Red), and Dino Thunder (Black), along with appearances in anniversary specials. He also consulted on the 2018 graphic novel Soul of the Dragon from writer Kyle Higgins and artist Giuseppe Cafaro.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hmm 49. What the heck happened I wonder. Accident or disease. Very young.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Man. Live nearly 50 years then kill yourself. I dont understand it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Be glad that you don't. Sympathy is wonderful. Empathy is not required.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Something I read earlier said that he had a child die and a marriage end in the last year or two, and that he was having professional issues as well.

That doesn't justify suicide, but it does give it context.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I, on the other hand, believe we ought to have suicide facilities for anybody who wants them for any reason. Something along the lines of Soylent Green. Maybe put an age limit but that's about it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:26 am I, on the other hand, believe we ought to have suicide facilities for anybody who wants them for any reason. Something along the lines of Soylent Green. Maybe put an age limit but that's about it.
I don't know about for any reason, but I think facilitated suicide should be a generally available medical option available after counseling, though I imagine too many equate that to death panels and a large contingent of the populace get too angry at suicides.

I guess I always see them as heartbreaking, that someone is going through that much pain or torment that end all they'll ever be, leaving an unforgettable hole in the lives of those around them, and generally in such a painful manner. The only time I get angry is when someone decides they want to suicide by damaging as much of the world and people around them as they can. Especially, if their lives are saved and they change their mind after the damage the wreak.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:26 am I, on the other hand, believe we ought to have suicide facilities for anybody who wants them for any reason. Something along the lines of Soylent Green. Maybe put an age limit but that's about it.
I used to think the same, then I read a short story in philosophy class that made me reconsider. In the story, euthanasia was legal, but still required extensive counseling before it was executed. In the story, an elderly man, father of the son he was living with convinced himself it was his duty to die and not be a burden on his kid. His daughter-in-law encouraged this, and because of the perceived sense of duty, the old man passed ever psychological check point to ensure his request was authentic.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yes, I think discussions of euthanasia and self-inflicted suicide are quite different, though they certainly overlap.

Suicidal actions and ideation I think are... very difficult to comprehend if you haven't experienced or been touched by them. I've never earnestly considered suicide and don't think I ever could, but I have experienced suicidal ideation. I've never wanted to die, but ruminating on it has at times served as a catharsis for me and I think it's a natural element of trying to process deep depression and other trying life events and mental illnesses (for some). I suspect most people considering suicide desire to be rescued from it (even if subconsciously), but I know that's not always the case. Some people find their pain, grief, and/or sadness impossible to bear or heal.

I think the answer for anyone with a relationship with a person who's at risk for suicide is simply to be there for them as much as you can be. Also be aware of those who show no signs. (I remember when we were called out at work for casually joking about suicide as a response to our horrible, stressful jobs. Like many, I have an appreciation for gallows humour. But we must consider how incredibly upsetting making light of suicide may be for someone who's been touched by it. The same goes for joking about addiction/drug use.) As Isg mentioned, It's fine not to understand it, but understanding isn't required to love and support someone. If you're ever experiencing suicidal thoughts, please reach out to me or someone close to you, or call a hotline or go to the ER. It's can be so hard to find or afford adequate medical treatment, but there's always someone who cares and will try to help even if it's a stranger on the phone.

Euthanasia I think is a logical development in the evolution of medical compassion. I don't like the idea of it all, it saddens me so much. But if faced with a painful or lonely death, I can understand why some might consider it. Especially as life expectancy continues to grow without guaranteeing quality of life. In a medical setting, many may find death to be more comfortable and to be less of a burden on their loved ones and/or those who may have to discover and take care of their remains. But I think some who may be most likely to consider it no longer have the capacity to pass counseling (e.g. severe dementia patients).

We have medical assistance in dying in Canada. I haven't researched a lot about it. But I think it's important for it to be legally protected. Though like many, I have the concern it might be pushed on people, as a cynical method for the government to reduce ongoing healthcare costs in the chronically ill. I'm an occasional reader of disability and mental health subreddits and discords, and it's a frequent sentiment (sometimes hyperbole, sometimes earnest) that the government would just as soon encourage you to die as raise disability payments and support to a level where people in need aren't struggling to survive. My folks have a couple nearly my age (mid-30s?) living across from them. I believe the wife has a terminal illness she's unlikely to survive for more than several years. My father told me her care team brought up the subject of assisted death. I find this almost incomprehensible. However, the story may have been influenced by the opinions of those who communicated it. It's possible she was the one who instigated the discussion. I don't have an answer for any of this, but my heart breaks for those who must consider it.

Talk Suicide Canada: 1-833-456-4566 (SMS is available at 45645 from 4pm-12am ET, but the phone line is 24/7)
U.S. Suicide Hotline: Dial 988. I also found 1-800-SUICIDE / 1-800-273-TALK but am not certain of their status.
International list of suicide hotlines
Last edited by Sudy on Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

On a lighter (not really!) note, I find the concept of a "Euthanasia [Roller] Coaster" (hypothetical) to be both horrific and fascinating: Wikipedia link. Like it makes me literally nauseous thinking about it, but I still find it captivating.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I still believe in my original premise but I never expect most people to go along with it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My mom's mother lived in a nursing home, slowly dying of Alzheimer's. She declined as Alzheimer's patients do, slowly by degrees, until she was a husk with little awareness and no comprehension. We used to visit her every other Sunday, but I was too young to understand what was happening to Grandma. I'd only ever known her as a feeble old lady and didn't feel any connection to her.

One Sunday all three of the siblings and their families gathered together at the nursing home. They sent us kids out to play in the field. After a time, my parents came to fetch me and tell me that Grandma was with Jesus. How fortunate that she had died surrounded by her family!

I didn't realize until I was much older that they were all there for my Uncle Doc to administer a fatal dose of morphine.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:08 pm I didn't realize until I was much older that they were all there for my Uncle Doc to administer a fatal dose of morphine.
That's some heavy shit to realize at any point in one's life.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Kraken wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:08 pm My mom's mother lived in a nursing home, slowly dying of Alzheimer's. She declined as Alzheimer's patients do, slowly by degrees, until she was a husk with little awareness and no comprehension. We used to visit her every other Sunday, but I was too young to understand what was happening to Grandma.
My Grandmother went through the same thing, and we all experienced those same events. While I was much older when it happened, it was still very much bewildering to see her descend into a state of not knowing what was happening to her. She would go through violent episodes, shaking her bed and yelling about wanting to get out and go back home. For us to go visit her, it was an all-day bus trip to get down there. I remember when she passed away, we were actually on our way back home via another of those bus trips and when we got home we were told she had passed away, so then a few days later we went back to be with family. She had chosen her time after seeing everyone.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My wifes mother and all of her aunts and uncles had it . They all slowly just went away but lived on a good while. The worst was an aunt. I felt awful for her. She was put into the care of her daughter. She was at the point long before death of not talking, no recognition. Not even eating on her own. They tube fed her in bed and kept her body alive for a few years after her brain was totally gone. I found that horrible. Forcing a body to live on without the owner upstairs so to speak. I dont want that. My grandmother died of it and a few others. I hope not to get that way. Living alone Im not sure Id even know lol.

But in cases like that there should be something that can be done to end it all once the person is long gone and not coming back. No one else is moving in.

In this country theres more legal means of euthanasia for animals to end suffering than any for people. People just have to suffer on in pain, torment or loss of self day after day. Horrible.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:13 am
Kraken wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:08 pm I didn't realize until I was much older that they were all there for my Uncle Doc to administer a fatal dose of morphine.
That's some heavy shit to realize at any point in one's life.
If the family hadn't taken it into their own hands, Grandma would've died alone. Not that she could know any difference, but it matters to the survivors.

The euthanasia debate presumes a terminally ill person of sound mind makes their own decision. What if the family decides it's best for Grandma to go and Grandma is well past having a vote? What if Grandma has a lot of money that her heirs don't like sending to the nursing home every month? Or what if Granny's broke and the nursing home is draining the family's coffers?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:02 pm Man. Live nearly 50 years then kill yourself. I dont understand it.
You -honestly- don’t understand it, simply because of the age the person reached ?

While any suicide is tragic, as Blackhawk said, there is plenty of context here to at least have an understanding.

I would seriously think you, of all people, would understand. I feel you’ve shared enough of your own pain here that we all know you understand late-life (actually mid-life) pain and suffering.

No?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its the same as someone who lives to 60 then decides to murder people. Dont get that either.

My brother killed himself at 37. Dont get that either though. Ive thought about it a lot of my life. Especially as a teen. Then it was just something I couldn't imagine doing. Now even though Ive thought of it its more something I wouldn't do for religious beliefs.

Its a decision you cant take back. You cant change it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

But you -do understand- what they may be going through and what may be behind their suicide.
Maybe it’s just how you use the phrase vs how I would use it.

I would say something like “I just don’t understand how a mother could murder her own child.”

But I would not sat “I just don’t understand how a man that has just lost everything he ever loved may want to take his own life.”

World of difference.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya guess its more to say I do understand why they do it but dont see myself ever doing it even for those reasons.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Now the afterlife didn't bring him along for his charming personality.

Sad that Clarence Gilyard has passed. He was one of the more interesting characters in Die hard, and although I didn't get into the whole Chuck Norris thing, I'm glad he found a solid career with a relatively popular show. My grandpa loved Walker, Texas Ranger.

R.I.P.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Huh. I never made the connection. I watched a few of the Walker episodes many years ago. He was definitely a big part of what made it work. And I agree that he was terrific in Die Hard. RIP

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Huh I never made the connection to Die Hard or Top Gun. I do remember him well from Walker. I only saw a few eps but a lot of clips. 66 is young now days...but his pic looks so old to my memories of him as a young guy on Walker. RIP

Looking up Walker it started nearly 30 years ago and ended 21 years ago. Doesn't seem that long ago.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm not familiar with him, but I first only saw a thumbnail of him and thought something had happened to Denzel Washington. Probably could have passed as a body double for him. Gave me quite a start.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Loved Matlock as a kid... loved him as Conrad.

Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

And the quarterback is toast!

I think of that line whenever I think of Die Hard.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sudy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:06 pm Loved Matlock as a kid... loved him as Conrad.
Oh ya Matlock. been so long since I saw that show.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:17 pm And the quarterback is toast!

I think of that line whenever I think of Die Hard.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Brad William Henke
Brad William Henke, a former NFL player who segued to acting and appeared in TV series including Orange Is the New Black, Justified and Lost and such films as Pacific Rim and World Trade Center, has died. He was 56. His family said Henke died in his sleep November 29, but no cause was given.

Born on April 10, 1966, in Columbus, NB, and raised in Littleton, CO, Henke played college football at the University of Arizona, where he was team captain and an All-Academic student journalist. Drafted by the New York Giants in 1989, he went on to play on the defensive line for the Denver Broncos and appeared in Super Bowl XXIV.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Damn. I liked him in Justified and The Office. He really knew how to play a bad guy.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh I saw that today! I didn't recognize or know him. Plus the one I read listed him as a country music singer. Said he had just got married that day and died in his sleep.

EDIT: Nope wait...another guy that looked like him..shirt and beard and all. Ah Jake Flint 37.

Jake Flint, Country Singer, Dead at 37 Just Hours After Marrying Wife Brenda
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh wow. He was really good in Orange is the New Black. I had no idea he was a former football player, but it makes sense.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He was one of the only good things about The Stand. :(
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I was never a huge fan, but I saw a lot of her (watched a lot of Cheers!). So it kind of hits home. I didn't realize she was 71, though. Probably because I've started pretending not to age.

RIP

Also, @#$% cancer.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:35 pm Kirstie Alley passes from cancer at 71
My goodness. I would have assumed she was in her early 60s. Fuck Cancer.

I never agreed with her 21st century political stances, but I remember her Cheers and Star Trek work very fondly.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.