Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:19 pm:cry:

That's terrible. I'm not sure what would be happening if we all weren't on the same page in my house; I cannot imagine it would be going well.
How much are the benefits of wearing a mask compromised when you spend all day in the same room at home with people who were in the same places unmasked? If I can't convince the rest of the family to mask, is there still meaningful benefit to wearing one when I'm out with them?

Short of solving it by wearing a mask at home, that is.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sounds like you have a hill to defend. Whether or not you die on it is your choice. There's something to be said for performative theater.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:30 pm How much are the benefits of wearing a mask compromised when you spend all day in the same room at home with people who were in the same places unmasked? If I can't convince the rest of the family to mask, is there still meaningful benefit to wearing one when I'm out with them?
There is benefit (however little) to you wearing a mask while at [Store X] if the rest of your family isn't. The reason is that immune response is individual. Yes, we all have the same basic immunological tools but depending on the circumstances surrounding your own exposure two people could have very different paths under the same conditions.

Here you'd be protecting yourself from others while out and then hoping your fellow house member's immune systems are going to protect them first, you second. This is generally why masking is so important (as I know you know, I'm just soap-boxing) - I'm not only protecting myself but I don't want to be in a position where I inadvertently spread the virus to someone unknowingly - especially with people (kids) still unable to be vaccinated.

In this situation, I've adopted a modified Oylenna Tyrell maxim - if I get sick and lose my legs, I'm going to make sure the person knows it was them. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Masking at the grocer today was below 5%.

I noticed that the store put a basket of individually wrapped KN95 masks near the door. I took a couple, since nobody else is going to use them.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm still seeing >50% masking in grocery stores.

Also, co-worker has been out for a week with COVID. She's in the same suite as me but I had the Friday off and she tested positive on the following Monday so limited exposure. My test was neg.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

By the way, are we still taking temperatures or does that not work anymore? I remember checking several times a day 15 years ago or whenever it was that this all started.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:37 pm By the way, are we still taking temperatures or does that not work anymore? I remember checking several times a day 15 years ago or whenever it was that this all started.
I think Omicron is less likely to result in fever than earlier variants, but it's still a symptom to watch out for.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:37 pm By the way, are we still taking temperatures or does that not work anymore? I remember checking several times a day 15 years ago or whenever it was that this all started.
I don't believe this has been recommended as a screening tool for quite some time - now that we know the virus spreads asymptomatically (I think the current belief is in 50%+ of the cases). You might catch someone with an elevated temp, but I'd be more concerned about those without obvious symptoms that are just shedding the virus because, freedom.

And yeah, that was at least 15 years ago we were doing that. Christ.

I'd say masking in stores around me is <10%
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:33 pm I'm still seeing >50% masking in grocery stores.
My hood is closer to 20% masking at the grocery store.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:00 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:33 pm I'm still seeing >50% masking in grocery stores.
My hood is closer to 20% masking at the grocery store.
I shop mostly at work or on the way home so Ravenswood/Lincoln Square. Though I did grab some beer at the WF by my place. Recalling that trip...only employees and myself were masked. A few customers with masks under the chin as if to say, "Trying to please everyone but pleasing no one."

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

"We're playing with fire":
The United States is now in its fourth-biggest Covid surge, according to official case counts – but experts believe the actual current rate is much higher.

America is averaging about 94,000 new cases every day, and hospitalizations have been ticking upward since April, though they remain much lower than previous peaks.

But Covid cases could be undercounted by a factor of 30, an early survey of the surge in New York City indicates. “It would appear official case counts are under-estimating the true burden of infection by about 30-fold, which is a huge surprise,” said Denis Nash, an author of the study and a distinguished professor of epidemiology at the City University of New York School of Public Health.

There is also a “huge disincentive” for many people to get tested for Covid, said Lara Jirmanus, a family physician and clinical instructor at Harvard Medical School. Americans have been told the virus is mild and won’t affect their lives, she said, but if they test positive, they need to stay home from work and school.

“It’s almost as though we’ve created a national ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ Covid policy – and that is a perfect way to promise that Covid will spread rapidly,” she said – especially concerning given as much as 60% of Covid transmission happens from people who never have any symptoms.
The closer:
Vaccines protect against long Covid by about 15%, new research suggests, underscoring the need for other precautions to prevent infections.

“This idea that we need to return to normal and that’s the most important thing, rather than just actually using mitigation measures to save lives – it’s actually not that hard, and if it were normalized, we could do it,” Jirmanus said.

“To just decide that it’s perfectly fine for everyone to be infected three to four times a year in the future with a new virus whose effects we don’t fully understand is a huge, huge gamble,” she continued. “We just don’t know what Covid could lead to in the future… We’re playing with fire.”
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

There is also a “huge disincentive” for many people to get tested for Covid, said Lara Jirmanus, a family physician and clinical instructor at Harvard Medical School. Americans have been told the virus is mild and won’t affect their lives, she said, but if they test positive, they need to stay home from work and school.

“It’s almost as though we’ve created a national ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ Covid policy – and that is a perfect way to promise that Covid will spread rapidly,” she said – especially concerning given as much as 60% of Covid transmission happens from people who never have any symptoms.
This is what I'm seeing from without and what I'm hearing from others who have to be at places to move their existence forward. I mean the presumptive future head Twitter and king of all social media just yesterday said of his remote workforce: "They should pretend to work somewhere else" which was amplified, repeated, and broadcast all day long on the news cycle.

My brother's work space (in Aurora, CO) has all but shut down twice in the last six months due to COVID spread and now none of the staff have PTO left for this second COVID outbreak. So if you want to be sick, you take vacation or nothing. That was strange to me as I thought COVID was short term disability under FMLA. Shows what I thought I knew. Not too long ago (in a family that has lost a member and has another with permanent debilitating diabetes) one person getting COVID twice was :shock: , now it's just part a familial conversation. "So and so got COVID again last week."

So closed off and mask wearing when out I go I remain. In April I thought I was this >< close to loosening up. And here I am hoping all this heat is going to slow things down... any minute...
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Why would most Americans worry about masking when they live in this reality:
Enlarge Image

Because who would want to live in this one:
Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:52 am

This is what I'm seeing from without and what I'm hearing from others who have to be at places to move their existence forward. I mean the presumptive future head Twitter and king of all social media just yesterday said of his remote workforce: "They should pretend to work somewhere else" which was amplified, repeated, and broadcast all day long on the news cycle.

My brother's work space (in Aurora, CO) has all but shut down twice in the last six months due to COVID spread and now none of the staff have PTO left for this second COVID outbreak. So if you want to be sick, you take vacation or nothing. That was strange to me as I thought COVID was short term disability under FMLA. Shows what I thought I knew. Not too long ago (in a family that has lost a member and has another with permanent debilitating diabetes) one person getting COVID twice was :shock: , now it's just part a familial conversation. "So and so got COVID again last week."

So closed off and mask wearing when out I go I remain. In April I thought I was this >< close to loosening up. And here I am hoping all this heat is going to slow things down... any minute...
People are saying it's worse because everyone is getting sick with COVID. My counter is that only people who feel sick are getting tested so no one knows or hears about asymptomatic cases.

MYT
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

A full 25% of my wife’s office is currently out sick with COVID. 3 of them tested positive today.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Everything is fine. Also, Long COVID is "significant problem for the country going forward"

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

That’s just like…his opinion, man.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, that's true. According to Amazon book sales, Dr. Naomi Wolf and Robert Kennedy Jr. have the #1 answers for these problems (in public health administration and immunology, respectively). But a leading research scientist at the NIH? I bet he doesn't even have an Instagram page.

Every day is a new circus. Every day.

Enjoy the next ~8 weeks - before BA.4/BA.5 arrives.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:39 pm Everything is fine. Also, Long COVID is "significant problem for the country going forward"
Would you share the critique that the way he spoke is somewhat or completely at odds with communicating with the public? She asks him about straightforward things people complained about symptom wise and he starts his response talking about the heterogeneity of symptoms. Early on he talks about 'temporal' connection between COVID and infections. This is all great and all if he is standing on a stage at NIH but...I can't help but feel like this approach to communicating with the public enables the hucksters.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Absolutely. I'd be amazed if you could find other mainstream media interviews with him prior to the pandemic. It's been a core problem for the entire pandemic - there's no one on the side of science that has the personality / charisma of all the hucksters, at least not at a national level. I think people were initially gravitating towards. Dr. Fauci because of his heavy NY accent, not because of his messaging.

So yeah, communication in general has been terrible overall. Add in what sometimes appears to be intentional obfuscation via the CDC and I don't know what to make of any of it.

I mean, I'm still hearing people say, "now that the pandemic is over..." which of course I just mentally add "for me" because that's what they really mean.

What really frustrates me is that people like Kennedy somehow manage to make millions by latching on to a sentiment to "protect" children. He turned vaccinations and autism into a business - even now - long after any type of connection has been repeatedly disproved. But other people that are trying to protect kids under the age of 5 right now? Other people that have been pushing for masks in schools (and general society, but here I'm just focused on how it's protecting kids)? Those people are lunatics. Write a book about how vaccines give kids autism? Take my money and where can I come see you speaking about this?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:35 am
I mean, I'm still hearing people say, "now that the pandemic is over..." which of course I just mentally add "for me" because that's what they really mean.
It's frustrating to us because we focus on those who are still being harmed, but it's also absolutely true that the pandemic *is* effectively over for the large majority of the population, at least here in America.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:48 am It's frustrating to us because we focus on those who are still being harmed, but it's also absolutely true that the pandemic *is* effectively over for the large majority of the population, at least here in America.
This pandemic has really opened my eyes to the thoughts of the average American, and not in a good way. As long as the perception (and to a degree the perceived reality) is that the problem only affects others (climate change, hunger, gun violence, chronic illness, risk of disease, etc...) there is zero interest in proactively doing anything to help unless there is a direct, measurable benefit to themselves. It's beyond depressing at this point.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:03 am
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:48 am It's frustrating to us because we focus on those who are still being harmed, but it's also absolutely true that the pandemic *is* effectively over for the large majority of the population, at least here in America.
This pandemic has really opened my eyes to the thoughts of the average American, and not in a good way. As long as the perception (and to a degree the perceived reality) is that the problem only affects others (climate change, hunger, gun violence, chronic illness, risk of disease, etc...) there is zero interest in proactively doing anything to help unless there is a direct, measurable benefit to themselves. It's beyond depressing at this point.
What really bothers me is that this attitude only spreads one way. No one suddenly decides, "hey, I've been a selfish, anti science dick! I should really start thinking in the long term and about others!" But people do occasionally decide, "Well, I tried and I'm the only one suffering and sacrificing so fuck it..."

And it is starting to take root everywhere, not just the US.

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:10 am What really bothers me is that this attitude only spreads one way. No one suddenly decides, "hey, I've been a selfish, anti science dick! I should really start thinking in the long term and about others!" But people do occasionally decide, "Well, I tried and I'm the only one suffering and sacrificing so fuck it..."
I did see a sign on a restaurant door this weekend still gloating about how they don't 'infringe anyone's rights' at that establishment. By which, of course, they meant they wouldn't enforce the mask mandate that hasn't existed in that county for a very long time.

But I'm not talking about the anti-science dicks; I'm just talking in general: the CDC gave a series of totally not-intentionally-muddled messages that folks interpreted as 'go for life as usual,' and America in the aggregate did so. Masking indoors for in-home deliveries/service work, at restaurants, in packed-to-the-gills NHL and NBA arenas: it's just no longer a thing, and for most people the worst effects they'll see (given current variants, at least) are a minor cold. This is what I mean when I say it's over for most.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:35 am Absolutely. I'd be amazed if you could find other mainstream media interviews with him prior to the pandemic. It's been a core problem for the entire pandemic - there's no one on the side of science that has the personality / charisma of all the hucksters, at least not at a national level. I think people were initially gravitating towards. Dr. Fauci because of his heavy NY accent, not because of his messaging.
I think the initial attraction to Dr. Fauci is because outside of the Fox News base the Trump administration (to put it mildly) did not have a reputation for competence or smarts. So Dr. Fauci was almost the only person in the entire administration who both conveyed "I know what I'm doing on this" and who was willing to speak his mind regardless of the consequences.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

When ever someone holds a position like that over administrations of both political parties it lends quite a bit of legitimacy to their position being earned non-politically, but by way of their own merits.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I'm still wearing a KN95 mask indoors in public spaces (away from home) unless I'm eating or drinking or alone in my office.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've been seeing a few of those style tweets the last week or so and they're always good for chuckle.

This however...

This is the current COVID transmission map for the US. 90% of counties have high or substantial transmission. The entire country should be wearing masks in public. CDC and this administration should say that unequivocally.
Look, I get that we're never going back and no state government is going to mandate masks ever again. But there's nothing stopping the CDC from saying *right now* everyone should be masked in public spaces while indoors, on mass transit, etc...
stessier

Post by stessier »

This is my local messaging (we are the dark green in the upper left corner).
The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control sent out a plea Friday as COVID-19 levels across the state and the nation begin to rise: Get vaccinated, boosted and wear a mask if you live in areas with rising coronavirus levels.

In a release, DHEC urged residents to track community-level spread in the county where they live and work and follow the prevention steps to take based on the latest data.

The CDC map provided by DHEC shows the entire Upstate is in the low-level zone. South Carolina's Marlboro and Dillion counties were the only counties in the state showing high levels of COVID-19 cases.

Another 14 counties, from Richland and Lexington in the Midlands to Charleston, Berkeley and Horry counties along the coast, are showing medium levels of cases.

"Part of treating COVID-19 as an endemic virus is recognizing that we need to know the current community level and the steps to take to stay virus-free," Dr. Edward Simmer, DHEC Director said. "We are seeing more medium and high transmission across South Carolina, so we strongly encourage our residents to follow all recommendations, including masking, staying home when sick, and being vaccinated, including boosters when eligible, that will help bring these numbers back down."
Enlarge Image
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

At least it's something. My county agency has said nothing this entire time (for specific, different reasons) and the State's message has been awful. Now that we're headed into summer vacation / tourist season, the last thing they want to talk about is the rolling 7 day average of 3K a day.

On top of that, this is not encouraging news from the UK

THREAD: a new wave has started in England (and likely about to or has in rest of UK)

TLDR: this will be 3rd wave within 6 months. Long covid an increasing issue - particularly in overexposed professions.

We don't need a UK ventilator challenge we need a ventilation one! 1/xx
I know we've said over and over the UK (or Africa, or where ever) isn't the same as the United States - and that's true. But when we've all broadly adopted the same "let 'er rip" philosophy, I can't help but think this is how it's going to look here in August - at least in the NE. Namely, we might get hit with 2 more waves before year end, not the one gigantic one they're forecasting for the Fall.

We cannot keep doing this. I know we're going to try, but we can't.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:37 pm
We cannot keep doing this. I know we're going to try, but we can't.
I mean, we can and we will.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Poor Smoove is Robert the Bruce...

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, that's what we're doing. We pretty much have to work within that.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

stessier wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:20 pm This is my local messaging (we are the dark green in the upper left corner).
Enlarge Image
If they're going to talk about community transmission, they should be showing you the community transmission map, not the community levels map.

Spoiler: There is no green on the community transmission map.

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
stessier

Post by stessier »

Oh I know. I'm kind of surprised Smoove get his brain intact after reading it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm so numb to everything now. Hearing people say it's over. Hearing people act surprised to learn that it's airborne. People learning that you can get it more than once now, regardless of vaccination status. I am genuinely at a loss over the CDC map, but it also perfectly explains why everyone thinks its over and its no big deal anymore - or why everyone likes it. I don't even know if the CDC is feeding the apathy or if the apathy is so great it's pushed back up to the CDC.

To actually see any local health agency speaking of masks - that's something. Just reading what they're saying in NYC now, it's like pod people have taken over everywhere.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The woman across the street from us said that she wants to visit an elderly relative in Canada, but they can't go because none of them are vaccinated. Everyone in her house has had covid at least twice and it's no big deal. Stupid Canadians.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:03 pm Everyone in her house has had covid at least twice and it's no big deal.
Funny you should mention that - interesting piece on the COVID event horizon from a few days ago:
If we manage it the way that we manage it now, then most people will get infected with it at least a couple of times a year,” virologist at the Scripps Research Institute in San Diego, Kristian Andersen, says in the New York Times. Doctors are now “seeing kids with [their] 3rd infection in [a] 4 month period. The shortest time between reinfection recorded by the CDC was 23 days.

All of which begs the question: how many SARS-CoV-2 infections can an organism sustain? People don’t get the flu 2 or 3 times a year, and if they did that would probably *also* be bad. But getting a thing that kills your T cells seems not infinitely scalable, right?

COVID degrades your immune system for the next time you encounter the virus, and also makes you more susceptible to infections overall. (Population-level immune dysfunction may go a ways to explaining the emergence of the sudden new characters in our viral cinematic universe — Monkeypox, Pediatric Hepatitis, et al.) COVID also increases your risk of developing diabetes by 59%, which is then a contributing risk factor for severe COVID, including death.

Imagine your DNA strands as intertwined shoelaces. At the end of each lace is a plastic tip that keeps the strand from coming undone. Telomeres are these caps at the end of each DNA strand that protect the chromosomes.

We start out our lives with long telomeres, but as our cells replicate the telomeres progressively get shorter. Like tree-rings, telomere lengths can be used as biological markers of age in every cell. Last year, a study looking at the telomeres of people who had been infected with COVID found that infection can make the aging process happen much faster. According to the findings, “COVID-19 survivors exhibited a significant acceleration of their biological age, occurring mainly in the younger individuals.” Just because you’re supposed to “learn to live with it” doesn’t mean it will be for long.
So where does that leave us?
While we don’t yet know what number of SARS CoV-2 assaults an organism can tolerate, we do know what level of COVID deaths the Biden administration thinks the American public will tolerate. According to Politico reporter Rachael Levy, “Biden officials in recent months privately discussed how many daily Covid-19 deaths it would take to declare the virus tamed. One person involved in the conversations said, ‘500 a day is a lot. You still have 9/11 numbers in a week… People generally felt like 100 [a day] or less, or maybe 200, would be OK.’ The U.S. has never sustained that level of deaths.”

Each surge, of course, washes fresh new waves of disabled and significantly sicker people ashore. COVID’s mass disabling is not so much an event — which implies a start and end time — as an era. As Diana Berrent, Founder of Survivor Corps, a grassroots COVID advocacy group says, “This is going to change the fabric of our society, and we need to prepare ourselves for it. There is no part of our society that is not going to be touched by Long COVID.”
In closing:
As we continue the denihilist status quo of doing whatever this nothing we’ve been doing is, we now live in a state of collective grief. Whether through the loss of those we love, the health we used to take for granted, or the idea of any solidarity or accountability in the face of mass crisis. “The collective trauma of the past several years has slowly begun to erode our resilience and our hope,” Melissa Flint, PsyD, associate professor of clinical psychology at Midwestern University Glendale who specializes in thanatology (the study of death, dying and bereavement) and traumatic loss, tells CNBC. “Our brains have not practiced what it takes to cope with these enormous losses, one after another, after another. The cumulative effect of this has yet to be seen.”
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:22 pm All of which begs the question: how many SARS-CoV-2 infections can an organism sustain? People don’t get the flu 2 or 3 times a year, and if they did that would probably *also* be bad. But getting a thing that kills your T cells seems not infinitely scalable, right?

COVID degrades your immune system for the next time you encounter the virus, and also makes you more susceptible to infections overall.
So...interesting. Isn't this very similar to what measles does to your immune system? Except measles nukes your antibodies and (I think) B-cells - but the point where it can take your immune system several years to recover. And you only get measles once. This is insane.