Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by Smoove_B »

gilraen wrote:So...interesting. Isn't this very similar to what measles does to your immune system? Except measles nukes your antibodies and (I think) B-cells - but the point where it can take your immune system several years to recover. And you only get measles once. This is insane.
Yeah, similar to measles. And we're just letting it spread uncontrolled because freedom.

I know early on there was some concern that re-infections of SARS-CoV-2 would be problematic like Dengue, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Instead it's potentially wiping out general immune response - much, much worse.

Not my area of expertise at all, but there are quite a few people in the immunology field that have been raising alarms on this because of the T-cell issue. At some point we're going to hit a number - I don't know what it is or when it'll happen, but there are going to be too many people concurrently sick and concurrently disabled for things to continue. And we seem to be doing everything we can to encourage it to happen faster.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah yeah yeah, but who you going to believe? Lori across the street or a bunch of ivory tower intellectuals?

Last night Wife did a Zoom call with her writer's group; two of the five people there were sick with covid. It's a rite of passage that I'm still resisting, but it feels inevitable.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Cheesus.
The Biden administration will drop the Covid-19 testing requirement for inbound air travelers from abroad on Sunday, ending one of the longest-running travel restrictions of the pandemic.

The rule, put in place by the Trump administration in early 2021 and later tightened by the Biden administration, most recently required inbound travelers, including U.S. citizens, to show proof of a negative Covid test a day before boarding U.S.-bound flights. Travelers entering the U.S. at land border crossings were exempt.
Following the worst US president in history should be the meatiest, juciest softball right down the middle. Yet Biden seems determined to strike out.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:We cannot keep doing this. I know we're going to try, but we can't.
Of course we can. We just have to not care about consequences, and we don’t.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:28 pm Of course we can. We just have to not care about consequences, and we don’t.
We will - eventually. It's what we do.

From April:
Dr Ziyad Al-Aly, director of the Clinical Epidemiology Center, who conducted the research, said he was surprised to learn that even people who had mild Covid symptoms and didn't require hospital care "still developed an increased risk of heart problems a year out."

"I went into it thinking that [the risk] was going to be most pronounced and evident in people who smoked a lot or had diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease, or some [other] risk factors," he said.

"What we found is that even in people who did not have any heart problems to start with, were athletic, did not have a high BMI, were not obese, did not smoke, did not have kidney disease or diabetes—even in people who were previously healthy and had no risk factors or problems with the heart—Covid-19 affected them in such a way that manifested the higher risk of heart problems than people who did not get Covid-19."
Bigger picture:
Dr Al-Aly warned health systems "need to start preparing for the tide of patients that are going to hit our doors with heart problems and other long Covid problems".

"We're no longer talking about things that might improve tomorrow—we're seeing chronic conditions that will require care for a long time," he said.
If there's one thing America is known for it's first-rate, patient-focused health care.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

You keep saying this stuff because YOU care. The other 320M people don’t. They aren’t living in a bunker for years and going out in public in hazmat suits. They won’t even wear masks or socially distance themselves.

Whatever is going to happen is going to happen. There’s nothing we are going to do to stop it. You don’t have to like it or accept it, but it’s what’s happening.
Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

To clarify, I'm not wearing a hazmat suit...yet. Probably this fall and winter. :wink:

And to further clarify, there will be a point when some significant % of the ~320 million do care. The problem is that it will likely be too late and they'll only care because their health, life and well being are being directly impacted. Same as it ever was.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

We have an amazing capacity to rationalize stuff.

Humans have lived with death and disease since humans were humans, and our brains are not equipped to evaluate probability. It isn't surprising to me that we are giving up. It does surprise me that people have been so resistant to getting the vaccine.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Had to help my parents move over the weekend. I can tell you that South Bend/Indiana is not giving any fucks at all. I saw zero masks the entire time I was there. Huge graduation parties were happening everywhere and indoor venues were packed.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:32 am Humans have lived with death and disease since humans were humans, and our brains are not equipped to evaluate probability. It isn't surprising to me that we are giving up.
Indeed.

Ben Thompson's piece this am over at Stratechery is interesting, if turn-over-the-table frustrating. Ben's pieces are generally focused more directly on tech, but this one's an interesting comparison between the current free speech/Sec 230 'debate' and COVID policy.

I'm sure this will calm Smoove down a lot. I can't really summarize the thing with a few pull quotes, but I'll try--focusing on the COVID side. I would definitely read the full piece before responding, though.
One of the common responses to China’s draconian efforts to control COVID’s spread (which, notably, do not include forced vaccination, or the use of Western vaccines), is that it doesn’t work: SARS-CoV-2, particularly the Omicron variant, is simply too viral. It’s worth pointing out that this response is incorrect: China not only eventually controlled the Wuhan outbreak, and not only kept SARS-CoV-2 out for most of 2021, but also ultimately controlled the Shanghai outbreak as well. The fact there were only 5 community cases over the weekend is proof that China’s approach works!

What I think people saying this mean is something different: either they believe the trade-offs entailed in this effort are not worth it, or they simply can’t imagine a government locking people in their homes for months, hauling citizens off to centralized quarantine, separating parents and children, entering and spraying their homes, and killing their pets. I suspect the latter is more common, at least amongst most Westerners: people are so used to a baseline of individual freedom and autonomy that the very possibility of the reality of COVID in China simply does not compute.

I am being, as best as I can, impartial about the choices here: the important takeaway is not simply that China’s approach did in fact work to arrest the spread of SARS-CoV-2, but also that it was the only approach that worked; even Taiwan’s approach, which was far more stringent than any Western country would tolerate, eventually failed. Of course there were benefits, particularly in terms of getting time to administer vaccines, but it’s certainly worth wondering if it was all worth it.
The opposite side of the spectrum were areas of America that, after enduring a few months of (very) soft lockdown at the beginning of the pandemic, were mostly open from the summer of 2020 on; I have friends in parts of Wisconsin, for example, whose kids have been in school since the fall of 2020. The price of this approach was far more deaths, particularly amongst the elderly who have always been at far higher risk: over 1 million Americans have died of COVID.

This isn’t the complete COVID story, though, and not simply because there can be no honest accounting of the pandemic until it finally sweeps China; the most effective vaccines in the world were developed in the West, and the U.S. produced and distributed the largest number of them. How many lives were saved, and how much economic upheaval — which isn’t about simply dollars and cents, but people’s livelihoods, sense of worth, and even sanity — was avoided or reduced because of vaccines? That must be recorded in the ledger as well, and in this accounting the West comes out looking far stronger.

To further expand on this point: if people in the West would not accept truly strict lockdowns, then they certainly wouldn’t accept centralized quarantine (which didn’t work), which means they absolutely wouldn’t accept forced testing and the inability to leave your house for months. Ergo, people in the West would never accept the reality of zero-COVID, which is why it makes sense to go in the opposite direction: open up, and forgo the massive costs of zero-COVID as well. Don’t get stuck in the middle, enduring the worst outcomes of both.

COVID, alas, seems to have been a worst case scenario in terms of both points: we suffered the aforementioned economic, socio-political, and development damage associated with strict control, while controlling nothing; meanwhile private platforms went overboard in controlling information, and ended up only deepening the suspicion of skeptics about COVID and its vaccines, leading to many more deaths, but also increased skepticism about vaccines generally.
A bit too much black/white for me (was buying time to roll out vaccines worth it? Of course it was!), but the end point hits hard--since we are not going to succeed in any significant way at containing COVID on a population level here in the US from this point onward, why advocate for restrictions at this point? What is the cost/benefit analysis that leads one to recommend instituting a requirement that will bring a social/economic cost when it is guaranteed that it will not be implemented well enough to succeed at its stated goal? In other words, what is the rationale that leads to folks advocating for anything but a jab and move on with normal life approach?

For me, that can't happen until we've had the under-5 vaccine available long enough for folks to reach fully-vaxxed status. But after that? I admit that as frustrating as it is for me to admit, I don't think I can make the case for trying (on a pop level; I'll still N95 my ass in crowded areas for the foreseeable future, thankyouverymuch).
RunningMn9 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:09 pmWhatever is going to happen is going to happen. There’s nothing we are going to do to stop it. You don’t have to like it or accept it, but it’s what’s happening.
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:06 am Had to help my parents move over the weekend. I can tell you that South Bend/Indiana is not giving any fucks at all. I saw zero masks the entire time I was there. Huge graduation parties were happening everywhere and indoor venues were packed.
Precisely this--we can continue telling people to do things that they won't do well enough to make a significant difference. In the process, we'll continue to erode public trust in and will to follow institutions developing this guidance. Or we can accept reality as it is rather than as we'd like it to be, and perhaps let some of that trust and willpower regenerate in time for the next public health crisis.

(Which sounds nuts to me on multiple levels--clearly this crisis is nowhere near over, and clearly a significant chunk of the population will never again put public health over private convenience. Maybe we're just fucked.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:06 am Had to help my parents move over the weekend. I can tell you that South Bend/Indiana is not giving any fucks at all. I saw zero masks the entire time I was there. Huge graduation parties were happening everywhere and indoor venues were packed.
I can tell you that everything south of South Bend (which is north of everything else) gives an equal number of fucks. I haven't seen a fuck in months.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No, I get it. I was pulled into a FB vortex last night, scrolling though histories from the last 12-18 months and I can completely appreciate why people think I'm a hermit now. I have literally done nothing since March of 2020 while others (lots of others) are apparently just doing whatever this entire time.

I'll read that article Zaxxon with my second breakfast scotch. I'm a bit behind.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Took a 20 hour Amtrak train ride last week.
Not a mask in sight, crew or passengers.
Attended a conference of a few hundred people. Not a mask in sight, attendees or vendors.
Stayed at a huge resort. Not a mask in sight, staff or guests.

Covid has been vanquished!!
Now on to lowering those gas prices and inflation!!
Things are going great!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I guess all we have to do is say gas prices are the lowest they've ever been.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We have to go to Michigan again over Independence Day weekend for my sister's memorial service. We're driving because reasons. We'll only be in Muskegon for one day/two nights, plus four days/two nights on the road. Muskegon is trump country, as we learned on our last trip, and nobody there wears masks or even acknowledges covid, and their vaccination rate is abysmal.

Just found out that my niece and her whole family are in their 10th day of covid brain fog.

Lovely. Glad we turned down her invitation to stay with her.

I'm quite sure we'll be the only masked people at the memorial, and I don't see how we can avoid getting sick on this trip.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:21 pm
Just found out that my niece and her whole family are in their 10th day of covid brain fog.
i think a lot of Americans will be in denial until the end because of this stupid binary-dualistic-tribal-win-at-all-costs mindset - reality isn't working out to how the uneducated want it to be, so they have to make up their own version of the reality they like (and live or die by that)

there is a part of me that wishes suspended animation was a thing, so i could go under and emerge in a decade to see what the results of this self-selecting culling looks like
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:21 pm there is a part of me that wishes suspended animation was a thing, so i could go under and emerge in a decade to see what the results of this self-selecting culling looks like
Yes please.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:29 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:21 pm there is a part of me that wishes suspended animation was a thing, so i could go under and emerge in a decade to see what the results of this self-selecting culling looks like
Yes please.
The first power cuts when we run low on capable power plant workers will be to suspended animation pods so don't count on waking up.

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, the world at large is unmistakably trending downhill and will be even worse-off 10 years from now. These are the future's golden days! :P
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:34 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:29 pm
Yes please.
The first power cuts when we run low on capable power plant workers will be to suspended animation pods so don't count on waking up.
Plus, when climate changed has destroyed agriculture, I wouldn't be surprised if refrigerated soylent green goes on the menu.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not even a month. When the right person gets COVID-19 for the umpteenth time and suffers immediate and then long-term health consequences, maybe something will change.

HHS @SecBecerra has tested positive for COVID-19 again, the agency just announced. Last time he tested positive was May 18, after attending the G-7 Summit. Becerra was just in LA for the Summit of the Americas. Canadian PM @JustinTrudeau also just tested positive for COVID-19 after coming home fro the summit
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Nope. You keep hoping, but nope.
Make up bags of change
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This is the second time this year that Trudeau has tested positive, IIRC.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:26 pm Just got a note from kiddo's kindergarten classroom. A kid who was in his classroom yesterday just tested positive. They have class pods, where each classroom is separated from the others. So they're just closing his classroom. They require 5 days of closure and kids have to wear masks for 5 more days. Since this is a long weekend, they'll get 8. Unmasked kids require 11 days.

On the plus side, they're now crediting us for COVID closure days.
Got the same note again over the weekend so the classroom is closed until Wednesday. Negative tests and he got his booster Friday.

Funny, being done with COVID feels a lot like being in the middle of COVID.

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Nah, you can't have a middle if there is no end. This is just living with COVID. Until eventually you're not.

On the local front here, apparently the plan is for Ontario is to acquire 6 million doses of unspecified vaccine for the fall (for a population of about 14 million people). The plan is shots/boosters for the currently designated high risk demographics (age 60+, etc). So essentially the people who are currently eligible for a second booster will be eligible for a third while the rest of the population will just have to wait and see what happens.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:00 pm Not even a month. When the right person gets COVID-19 for the umpteenth time and suffers immediate and then long-term health consequences, maybe something will change.
Meanwhile everyone on the right is buzzing that natural immunity is the best immunity because of the recent NEJM piece. Saying they were right all along and don't need vaccines. There will be no end to this. It won't change.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It's like they don't even perceive the irony of basing 'winning' immunity on a process that involves getting the virus.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Always the same. Completely ignore the risk of death and long-term disability for a potential to have a stronger immune response than if we vaccinate you to protect against hospitalization and death.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:50 am It's like they don't even perceive the irony of basing 'winning' immunity on a process that involves getting the virus.
And the death and disease toll on "building a natural immunity" and the hospital toll it has taken/is taking both from "achieving natural immunity" and for those who couldn't/can't get care because of those "developing natural immunity." But hey, I have two relatives who were hospitalized and were snuck horse paste and lived so that's the real solution. Why they went to the hospital in first place, I can't say.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Feeling it

I don’t think I would have ever been able to construct a dystopian reality as disturbing as the current one.

A zombie-like virus that invades the brain & blood vessels—that we know how to prevent but governments & corporations have convinced populations that it’s the cold. WTAF
Hugh Jackman has it...again. It's almost like...attending a large scale indoor event without wearing a mask isn't a good idea. I'll need to shop that.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Spoiler - it's always been a marathon. Always.

Clear-eyed thread about what the risks from covid are now.

TLDR: if you're vaxed and boosted, risk of death is nil. But you're still at risk for long covid, heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. In other words, covid won't kill you in the short term, but it might in the long.
The nested thread (above) is from a doctor that was sharing the update about how he pressured his wife back in April to attend a professional conference without masking because they were both vaccinated. Spoiler alert - she got COVID and after 5+ weeks later is not doing well. He's been a relatively trustworthy voice for all things COVID this entire pandemic, but for whatever reason he really embraced the mask removal everywhere for everyone element.

He was given the business on Twitter when it originally happened as he was detailing how they were originally going to get on a plane (she tested positive while they were at the conference) but ultimately decided to be super inconvenienced and just drive back.

Anyway, it's just another example of how perspective changes.

EDIT: If reading Twitter threads melts your brain (I hate it), the article is here.

Also, wear a mask.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:57 am
TLDR: if you're vaxed and boosted, risk of death is nil.
For how long after you were fully vaxed/boosted?

Also, "nil" is an odd way for them to spell "greatly reduced." :coffee:

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:34 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:57 am
TLDR: if you're vaxed and boosted, risk of death is nil.
For how long after you were fully vaxed/boosted?

Also, "nil" is an odd way for them to spell "greatly reduced." :coffee:
I believe Smoove used nil because it's 'greatly reduced' to the point that we don't care (similarly to how no one asks themselves what their risk of dying from the automobile trip they're about to take would be, even though there is a non-zero risk on every ride).

This is the specific tweet in question:

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just to clarify, I didn't use "nil"; the person I quoted in the Tweet (for those that can't see embedded Tweets) did.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:48 pm Just to clarify, I didn't use "nil"; the person I quoted in the Tweet (for those that can't see embedded Tweets) did.
Indeed. I looked up while responding and saw it in the quote, thinking it was your quote. Sorry for the error!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove never said "nil" -- that quote is from the tweet that he quoted. Given the crappy messaging about all things COVID, I'm just a little twitchy some days when TPTB conflate small probabilities with a zero probability, especially given that not everyone is getting the same amount of protection from being fully vaxed and boosted. For example, me being fully boosted six months ago is not equivalent to someone a year older than me who was boosted for the second time a couple of weeks ago.

If you tell people that being vaccinated means a nil chance of death, and then someone who was vaccinated dies, it undercuts the message that people should get vaccinated. It amplifies the disinformation about vaccines being worthless.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's a fair observation. however in the list of sins for communication surrounding COVID-19, I'm not sure it would crack the top 10 at this point.

Regardless, those that don't wanna are always going to nitpick and find points of contention to argue against. If they can't focus on the language then they'll just go back to freedom.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And I guess since it's making the rounds today, this is an excellent article on what's happening internally:
Emergency physicians like us have seen the worst of Covid-19, from children gasping for breath to death on an unimaginable scale. So you might expect us to be cautious about attending large public gatherings and set a standard by establishing careful guidelines for organizing them.

You’d be wrong.

During the second week in May, the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM), a large medical organization, held its annual meeting in person in New Orleans after canceling the event in 2020 and holding it virtually in 2021. The meeting brought together emergency physicians, residents, fellows, medical students, clinical researchers, and corporate exhibitors from across the U.S. at a time when the country was enduring yet another Covid-19 surge, this time from the Omicron BA.12.1 subvariant.

Organizers of the conference reported expecting more than 3,000 attendees, one of the largest events the society had ever hosted, and social media images from conference events showed large, closely packed indoor crowds in close contact and without masks on.
More:
The week after the conference, news of Covid-19 cases began circulating among our colleagues. Some shared stories of becoming ill, others described how they were pulled in to cover the shifts of others who were struck by Covid.

To come up with a back-of-the-envelope estimate, we reached out informally to 15 emergency medicine programs across the country to see how many of their attending physicians, fellows, residents, and research staff attended the conference and how many cases were thought to have resulted from the conference. Among the 11 programs that responded, the number of attendees ranged from five to more than 50, and Covid-19 case rates ranged from 18% to 67%. While there are many caveats to the data (it’s a nonrandom, convenience sample, the data are self-reported estimates), they suggest that this single academic event was responsible for many hundreds of cases.
Of note:
The argument for individual responsibility has been increasingly present over the past few months: Informed individuals can decide to add layers of protection as they see fit. It’s hard to argue that a group of academic emergency physicians isn’t well informed about the dangers of Covid, as well as about the best measures to mitigate risk. Yet the majority of attendees did not layer in mitigation strategies, ask the conference organizers to consider changing their policies, or cancel their trips to the conference after witnessing the minimal protections in place.

It is easy to blame individuals for taking high risks. But most people have personally witnessed how easy it is to fall in step with the lowest level of mitigation — even when they know better. Instead of blaming individuals, the focus should be on the systems in place that encouraged “throw caution to the wind” decision-making at events. Organizations should work to protect their members by requiring mitigation strategies, providing the appropriate technological and material resources, and making safety the norm. It is much harder for the individual to make the right choice when it entails increased effort and there is no incentive to be responsible.
They provide a list of things conferences should be doing moving forward based on what we know and what we should be modeling.

So yes, even within the public health / medical community it's insane. We know better and yet we're giving in to the incredible pressure to ignore everything we know and everything we see.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And for posterity. It's Canada data, but still applies here in 'merica.

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Maybe I am just being cynical, but it seems to me, the folks who have time to attend conferences are not the same folks as those who are on the front line in the ER. Just saying.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.