Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Octavious

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by Octavious »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:41 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:31 pm I feel like there's a story here that I missed.
I have a secret identify on social media (because I value privacy and like to pretend I'm superhero) that I use to work as a force of goodness, particularly now during the pandemic. When I see something I can share broadly or can offer assistance by pointing someone in need of service in the right direction, I will. However, the article I shared here was labeled "political" and deleted, because of course it was.
Whoa whoa whoa. I heard that the Libs can write whatever they want and the GOP is being repressed! This doesn't match up at all!

On a side note I saw another f'n popup Trump rally on the side of the road. If it's like this in Jersey what's it like in a red state? I have zero hope that he will be voted out. There's just too many assholes in this country.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

We get the opportunity to change our selection every 9 weeks. We've been going in-person and are sticking with it. So far, so good (it's only been 3 weeks).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

1 out of almost 16,000?
That's nothing compared to the percentage of infected in the general population.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stimpy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:38 pm 1 out of almost 16,000?
That's nothing compared to the percentage of infected in the general population.
They didn't test all 16,000 people in attendance, so we don't know anything other than there was a positive person identified as having been there. Definitely watch for the followup on the 10 (or more) contacts that they identified - that's the real story here.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Octavious wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:24 pm On a side note I saw another f'n popup Trump rally on the side of the road. If it's like this in Jersey what's it like in a red state? I have zero hope that he will be voted out. There's just too many assholes in this country.
I'm in the reddest of red states and I never see a spontaneous Trump rally here. Lots of Trump flags (typically mounted in the beds of pickups belching out black smoke), but I've never seen a rally.

I would guess that Trump supporters in blue or purple states feel like they need to try that much harder to get attention, hence the "pop up rallys".
coopasonic wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:29 pm We get the opportunity to change our selection every 9 weeks. We've been going in-person and are sticking with it. So far, so good (it's only been 3 weeks).
Same here. I've actually been quite impressed with the school's handling of everything so far, so we're going to stick with it for now.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It was the first game. They are the general population.

Or is the the implication that NFL fans or Chiefs fans have a lower infection rate? Were all the fans tested?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:00 pm

Or is the the implication that NFL fans or Chiefs fans have a lower infection rate? Were all the fans tested?
I would assume all fans were tested in the same way most places are testing before entering.
If the NFL can have protocols in place to where only 1 in 16,000 comes out of the gathering infected, there may be hope for a return to normalcy at some point.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:47 pm
Octavious wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:24 pm On a side note I saw another f'n popup Trump rally on the side of the road. If it's like this in Jersey what's it like in a red state? I have zero hope that he will be voted out. There's just too many assholes in this country.
I'm in the reddest of red states and I never see a spontaneous Trump rally here. Lots of Trump flags (typically mounted in the beds of pickups belching out black smoke), but I've never seen a rally.

I would guess that Trump supporters in blue or purple states feel like they need to try that much harder to get attention, hence the "pop up rallys".
coopasonic wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:29 pm We get the opportunity to change our selection every 9 weeks. We've been going in-person and are sticking with it. So far, so good (it's only been 3 weeks).
Same here. I've actually been quite impressed with the school's handling of everything so far, so we're going to stick with it for now.
They setup tents to sell merch and to put up signs saying to help protect Trump. I mean at the end of the day it could just be freaking Trump doing that for all I know, but his supporters ARE that insane so their is that.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stimpy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:08 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:00 pm

I would assume all fans were tested in the same way most places are testing before entering.
If the NFL can have protocols in place to where only 1 in 16,000 comes out of the gathering infected, there may be hope for a return to normalcy at some point.
They check temps and ask if you feel sick. That is not testing, that is screening. Very different.

And the guy didn't come out infected, he went in infected.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Here in Indiana I've seen almost nothing. No Trump, no Biden, no rallies, no MAGA hats. If you time-traveled in, you wouldn't know it was an election year. Indiana isn't usually super political (it's a very red state, so there isn't really a lot of dissent to stand up against), but you usually see more than this by this late in the season. It's almost like people are sick of it all and just don't want to think about it anymore.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm in Central NJ and I've seen very little political signage but what I have seen is almost all Trump. But we are talking here and there. My feeling is enthusiasm seems low here overall compared to past elections. However, it is hard to tell if that is an accurate assessment or just a consequence of pandemic.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

The pro-Trump signs and flags I’ve seen are largely ones that have been up since he was elected. I’m seeing slightly more support for Biden, but not much.

Last time I was at the grocery store though, I saw someone wearing a Biden/Harris face mask. And another person wearing a Pan Keith mask (local House dem candidate).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I go to work and home so my view is pretty small. The Trump signs (flags mostly, though none of the thin blue line) are just now starting to appear. Only one Biden sign is up. This is from the outskirts of the district that voted in Talib.

The radio has a ton of Biden ads, all directed at the black vote. Trump has none though his cronies have the occasional, Keep America Great ad for themselves, declaring their loyalty and how necessary it is. I get calls from Biden supporters most days and I get texts for Trump constantly.

Stores... for whatever reason, I'm seeing a lot of old white folks when I shop and they disproportionately either wear their masks below their nose or not at all when they can get away with it. I guess that is in alignment with well above average deaths by population in my area. Old white folks and teen/early twenties of all hues. Makes me wonder who the schools are doing.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I've seen more Biden signs than Trump signs in yards (and way more Jaime Harrison signs than Lindsey Graham signs), but Trump out scores Biden by about 100 - 1 on signs on boats.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I've seen a grand total of 1 Biden sign anywhere. 1... :cry:

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

In case you need your soul to be completely and utterly crushed on a Friday morning. :( Why Zoom school so awful for parents and kids
There's a lot of humanity visible through the zoom windows. Every day we log on—teachers, children, parents—and, invited or not, we enter tiny portals into each other’s lives. In our home, it's a child, head in hands, struggling to listen through the noise, whispering "I'm tired of this," water bottle at his side as instructed, a dog running past to bark at a delivery person, and two parents just off camera barely hanging on, desperately asking if he's muted.

Elsewhere, the gym teacher lays on her kitchen floor, talking kids through a leg lift.

An art teacher sits in her front seat, a baby in the back, parked to teach the lesson, clearly coming from something unexpected.

The kindergarten teacher opens every morning asking children if they had breakfast, knowing not every answer will be yes. Gently, he asks one girl “are there any grown-ups around that can help you?” She shakes her head no, unable to speak because she can’t find the unmute.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, it's a great article. Never forget:
Making school work in September required vision, action, funding, and resolve on the part of people far above your teacher or school board member in the spring when everything shut down. None of it came. The entire point of the shutdowns was to buy time, to make plans, to lay a foundation for a return that would work.
But people did get to visit bars and dine indoors, so who can really say what the right choice was?

I'm not sure yet if it's sinking in that this is how things are going to be until next September (realistically and broadly, at the earliest) or people are still in denial. Come join me - I've been keeping the benches warm.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

He got the Big 10 to play football. What more do you want from the man!?!?

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:50 am
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:44 am
Anti-maskers in Florida invade a Target
Imagine being this proud of your utter stupidity.
I have a sudden urge to drive to FLorida, takeke off my mask and cough on all of them.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Paingod wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:56 am
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:50 am
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:44 am
Anti-maskers in Florida invade a Target
Imagine being this proud of your utter stupidity.
The dumber you are, the more it shields you from feeling like an idiot.

This is the year when we get to see why the average IQ (factual or not, I like to say it) isn't higher than 100 and everyone who brings it down is on display.
As this year progresses I start to belive that the film Idiocracy is actually a documentary from the future sent back in time to warn us.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:37 amI'm not sure yet if it's sinking in that this is how things are going to be until next September (realistically and broadly, at the earliest) or people are still in denial. Come join me - I've been keeping the benches warm drinking heavily.
FTFY.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:28 am I go to work and home so my view is pretty small. The Trump signs (flags mostly, though none of the thin blue line) are just now starting to appear. Only one Biden sign is up. This is from the outskirts of the district that voted in Talib.
There are a smattering of Biden signs around my neighborhood -- certainly more Democratic signs than I've seen in any previous presidential campaign -- but there are a lot more BLM and No-Hate-type signs. I only know one house that's bold enough to display Trump signs, although others have signs for other Republicans. IOW, people aren't necessarily putting out signs for their candidates, but they're making their affiliations known.

The house across the street has one of those blue line flags (actually the stripe is half blue and half red, which I interpret as police and firefighters). I briefly considered displaying both BLM and the police flag, because I don't see them as mutually exclusive. IMO one can support both the police and the BLM protestors, or should be able to. But I know the thin blue line has been co-opted by hate groups, so displaying both together would probably open a rift in the space-time continuum.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

All the signs I see are for local offices. There are a lot of them, but seems like fewer than normal.

Which reminds me, it's probably time put up my Willie Wilson sign.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:45 am But I know the thin blue line has been co-opted by hate groups, so displaying both together would probably open a rift in the space-time continuum.

I have a CPMF flag they gave to me but I don't put it out much. Afraid of graffiti or a brick.

I have a 100 Club sticker on one of my rear passenger windows of my car. It's tiny. Someone wrote "ACAB" on the window with a sharpie while I was parked. There was also a dent in the same door but not sure if it was the same incident.

MYT
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:53 pm Then GTFO. There are soliciting and loitering laws aren't there? I know if I sat in front of a 7-11 telling people how it is, especially while flagrantly breaking the store policy (not to mention health hazard) I'm droning on about, the police would be in that parking lot in 10 minutes and the conversation would go from warning to citation if dispersal didn't happen with no questions immediately.
The vast majority of retail had a hands off policy for pretty much everything (including theft, fights, etc.) pre-COVID. This has continued Post-COVID where they are putting maks required signs up but not enforcing it. The police are not coming to come running for someone without a mask or even a small group of people acting like idiots and in general the management isn't going to call them for it either. I don't work retail anymore but still know plenty of people who do and a lot of them are saying that they were explicitly told not to confront someone without a mask in any way shape or form, meaningthey can't even ask them to put a mask on politely. Upper manage,not doesn't want an employee involved in something that could lead to a cnfrontation.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:48 am All the signs I see are for local offices. There are a lot of them, but seems like fewer than normal.

Which reminds me, it's probably time put up my Willie Wilson sign.
Ha! I was just going to post that the only signs I've seen around here are for Willie.
Spoiler:
For those not from Chicago, he's running his typical quixotic independent campaign to unseat Dick Durbin.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Does it bother anyone else that people put up signs on vacant lots or the sides/overpass of an expressway?

Also if a business does not remove a sign, I assume they are endorsing a candidate. This admittedly bothers me a lot when they advocate for a candidate or proposal I am against.

And do texts ever sway an opinion or provide momentum? Us, them, it makes no difference. I don't want them and you only make me antagonistic when you invade my space to try and outrage me against them. (And those texts are always against them and how terrible they are)

And now back to your regularly scheduled conversation about us getting sick or dying...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Don't make me come back in here and post horrific projections about COVID!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

A covidiot attended a school board meeting without his mask. When asked to put on one, he replied that he will have to be dragged out before he'd put one on.

Your wish is granted!

(No word on whether he put one on or not)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

"I'll wear a mask when you put it on my cold dead face...."

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Beloved Utah teacher fighting for her life after contracting COVID. While I hope she makes a full recovery, comments like this one from her daughter absolutely make my blood boil.
Among them is Jensen, who is now on a ventilator fighting for her life.

“My mom is currently at IMC in their Intensive Care Unit,” Talesha Jensen said, admitting she was among those who haven’t taken the virus seriously. “I can definitely attest that I was one of those people that was like, ‘This is nothing. This is just the flu.’ But this spreads like wildfire.”

She asked for prayers, and in a post shared Thursday night on Facebook her sister asked friends and family to fast and pray for their mother this Sunday, which is Jensen’s birthday.

“It’s not just made up stuff, it’s really serious,” Talesha Jensen said. “I haven’t stopped crying. I just, I pray with everything inside of me that she’s going to pull through. I don’t care if you’re not religious. I don’t care if, whatever, like just pray. We just need her. Corner Canyon needs her. I need her.”
It's just the flu...until it happens to me or my family. Then - and only then - does it become something that we should take seriously. :grund:
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I went to a Mexican market today (looking for michelada cups with no luck) and they had a setup I haven't seen before.

They had a sink set up outside and a gentleman standing there to open the door and make sure people washed their hands before they went in. 100% mask compliance also. Very impressive.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:00 pm I went to a Mexican market today (looking for michelada cups with no luck) and they had a setup I haven't seen before.

They had a sink set up outside and a gentleman standing there to open the door and make sure people washed their hands before they went in. 100% mask compliance also. Very impressive.
So sad to see people living under brutal oppression like that. So very sad.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The scandal round here is that parents in Attleboro sent their kids to school (at Attleboro High) despite the kid having already tested positive for coronavirus. Which is completely indefensible - can't really even wrap my head around the thinking or lack thereof.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:19 pm The scandal round here is that parents in Attleboro sent their kids to school (at Attleboro High) despite the kid having already tested positive for coronavirus. Which is completely indefensible - can't really even wrap my head around the thinking or lack thereof.
Well, it's just the flu, and wouldn't you send your kid to school if he had the flu?

Wait, I shouldn't send my kids to school while sick with highly communicable illnesses? Why didn't someone tell me?!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:56 pm Beloved Utah teacher fighting for her life after contracting COVID. While I hope she makes a full recovery, comments like this one from her daughter absolutely make my blood boil.
Among them is Jensen, who is now on a ventilator fighting for her life.

“My mom is currently at IMC in their Intensive Care Unit,” Talesha Jensen said, admitting she was among those who haven’t taken the virus seriously. “I can definitely attest that I was one of those people that was like, ‘This is nothing. This is just the flu.’ But this spreads like wildfire.”

She asked for prayers, and in a post shared Thursday night on Facebook her sister asked friends and family to fast and pray for their mother this Sunday, which is Jensen’s birthday.

“It’s not just made up stuff, it’s really serious,” Talesha Jensen said. “I haven’t stopped crying. I just, I pray with everything inside of me that she’s going to pull through. I don’t care if you’re not religious. I don’t care if, whatever, like just pray. We just need her. Corner Canyon needs her. I need her.”
It's just the flu...until it happens to me or my family. Then - and only then - does it become something that we should take seriously. :grund:
Not sure begging for prayers is taking it seriously enough.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That Utah story is awful, but one of a hundred others I've seen. This is a hoax until I get it, then help me with everything you've got.

In other news, the President is a crackpot:
President Trump on Friday said "every American" will have a vaccine for the coronavirus available by April, escalating already ambitious goals to fast-track a vaccine for the virus that has killed nearly 200,000 people in the United States.

He also promised more than 100 million doses available by the end of the year. The most optimistic scenario included in a distribution plan that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released Wednesday would put the number of available vaccine doses at 45 million by the end of the year. Each person is expected to need two shots for protection against the coronavirus, so that would be enough for 22.5 million people.
I'm guessing he has internal polling information telling him voters really want to know a vaccine is coming soon. I have no doubts in October he's going to proclaim it will be available to everyone by 12/25 - a true Christmas miracle as lord baby Jesus wanted.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Then blame the Democrats when the miracle vaccine doesn't arrive in the great numbers promised. I see how this three-dimensional chess works.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:12 pm Then blame the Democrats when the miracle vaccine doesn't arrive in the great numbers promised. I see how this three-dimensional chess works.
I mean, he's right that Joe Biden didn't implement a nationwide mask order, so I can believe that the Ds won't get the vaccine ready by the end of the year, either.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:47 pm That Utah story is awful, but one of a hundred others I've seen. This is a hoax until I get it, then help me with everything you've got.
There are no anti-maskers in a foxhole.
An Idaho pastor has been in intensive care for COVID-19 after previously calling himself a “no-masker” and criticizing widespread coronavirus safety precautions.

Pastor Paul Van Noy in late July prayed with his congregation at Candlelight Christian Fellowship that the City Council in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, would not pass a mask mandate, deeming himself a “no-masker."

I don't want to start
Any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's
Got a sick sense of humor...

MYT