Ability to "Like" a Post?

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

rittchard

Ability to "Like" a Post?

Post by rittchard »

Just curious was this ever entertained here, or is it even possible with this forum? I know some people don't like those kind of things, but there have been a number of times when someone wrote something I really liked but I didn't want to quote them and just write something lame like "well said" or whatever. So the option of a simple thumbs up of approval or whatever would have been nice.
Blackhawk

Re: Ability to "Like" a Post?

Post by Blackhawk »

I would honestly hate that. It turns posting into popularity contests, and it stifles dialog. If someone says something worthy of a thumbs-up, it's better to actually reply with the complement, furthering the discussion, than it is to just click 'like' on everything and scroll on by.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:35 pm I would honestly hate that. It turns posting into popularity contests, and it stifles dialog. If someone says something worthy of a thumbs-up, it's better to actually reply with the complement, furthering the discussion, than it is to just click 'like' on everything and scroll on by.
Well said. I totally agree.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:37 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:35 pm I would honestly hate that. It turns posting into popularity contests, and it stifles dialog. If someone says something worthy of a thumbs-up, it's better to actually reply with the complement, furthering the discussion, than it is to just click 'like' on everything and scroll on by.
Well said. I totally agree.
+1

:wink:

It is definitely becoming far too prevalent. It's all over the place at work. Outlook has added it. I don't feel like my work email should be a social network program. Teams has it. Confluence. Even our HR/paycheck software wants to be a social networking app. And all I want is to be able to look at my pay stubs, etc.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm team rittchard.

I don't see how it would hurt anything. How would it make posting a popularity contest anymore than it already is?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

It shoehorns social media vacuity and laziness into a platform that's better-suited towards verbal expression.

Use yer words. It's moar better.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
stessier

Post by stessier »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:26 pm It shoehorns social media vacuity and laziness into a platform that's better-suited towards verbal expression.

Use yer words. It's moar better.
You must be very choosy about the threads you click on. :lol:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Let me put it a little differently: Social media is designed to get you through posts as quickly as humanly possible so that you can see more ads and they can collect more data. The 'like' button (and Retweet button) is designed to let you engage with the posts, but spend as little time interacting with them as possible before you move on.

That isn't conducive to a forum built around discussion.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Generally I would just give a thumbs up to OP, but in this case I feel moved to comment about the hesitance to comment. There are many occasions where I would like to indicate "I agree" or "that's funny" or something similar, but I don't feel it adds to the conversation meaningfully. This is where that thumbs up or react emoji would be nice. In my case you are getting less engagement for lack of such options.

it doesn't really matter, we'll all be dead and gone soon enough.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'd be fine with a thumbsup emoticon. I don't mind "+1" entries. At least they show me who is agreeing with the post. My biggest issue with Likes is that they don't show you anything. I have to hover over or click (depending on the application) to see who did what. And I'm not going to do that. So those Likes become meaningless. As BH said, they reduce engagement. At least with a "+1", should I disagree with the original post and engage, I'm including anyone that agreed in the discussion. And I mean that "I am". Myself. Mentally. But with Likes, those people get ignored because I have no idea who they are.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

:confusion-confused:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:37 am I'd be fine with a thumbsup emoticon. I don't mind "+1" entries.
:clap:

:text-+1:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupright:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:26 pm Use yer words.
I'm sure you can find some of mine laying around. I seem to forget where I put them everywhere I go. If you find them, they're yours.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:28 am
it doesn't really matter, we'll all be dead and gone soon enough.
i'm just going to start using this as Reasoning Enough for everything